How To Uninstall Norton System Works

billd766

My Norton System works has just about expired so I have installed Avast to replace it.

My problem is that I cannot uninstall NSW as my add/remove programs does not show it and when I put the CD back in I could not find uninstall.

Does antone have any ideas? :o

Is there not an option to uninstall somewhere in the Start Menu folder?

Failing that, look in the System Works folder. There may be an uninstaller there, which if you click on it, will start the process.

My Norton System works has just about expired so I have installed Avast to replace it.

My problem is that I cannot uninstall NSW as my add/remove programs does not show it and when I put the CD back in I could not find uninstall.

Does antone have any ideas? :D

It has been a while since I whacked a Norton product, if memory serves me right the uninstall is listed as ‘Symantec’ in the "add/remove programs” :o

Deleting the directory and a registry cleanup works too.

hi'

haaa ... norton uninstall, could write a book :o

first check that you are not connected to internet.

in your case, uninstall Avast first(I know, you don't want to do it ...) wait a bit.

then reboot, try to uninstall norton again, if it fails, unnstall live update and live reg first.

reboot retry again.

if fail again, delete the norton system works folder and the symantec folder in the program files main folder.

don't forget the folder in "program files/common files a folder called symantec., delete it too.

then go in the registry(regedit), make a backup of the entire registry, and look for any key under names as :

norton and symantec ... a few to find, delete them all !

when the last search shows nothing.

reboot and reinstall Avast.

then, you may check with a "cleaner" if anything is left behind that you may have missed.

francois

delete all files in your prefetch folder also ,

delete norton / symantec cookies and recycle bin too.

go to the norton / symantec website and see if there is a link to a users forum , if there is then you should be able to get a complete list ( of all hidden files and dll's that need to be deleted) from browsing the forum.

i think you should turn off system restore whilst doing all this.????

before searching for files go to start-explorer-tools-folder options-view tab-show hidden and uncheck the box "hide protected operating system files"

when searching , be sure to search "all hidden files and folders "

in xp , check advanced search.

reboot between searches.

i had to do a clean uninstall of zonealarm recently and had to go through all that.

hopefully francois will confirm the above advice.....or not ..