Buying 2Nd Hand From A Bike Shop

Riggi

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand Honda Phantom from a bike shop in Chiang Rai.

Reading through various posts here and alsewhere, it seems that there are potential problems with transferring ownership of the "greenbook"??

Or will this not be a problem if buying from a dealer?

I bought a Wave 125 from a bike shop in Chiang Rai about 4 months ago and just paid them the money and rode away and did nothing else. Wasn't aware of any greenbook or need to transfer ownership at the LTD...(it's only through researching the Phantom I've become aware of thgis requirement)

Will the dealer do everything required for me to legally own the bike?

Or do I need to get the greenbook updated by the LTD?

If it has no greenbook does that mean I don't legally own the bike? (in which case,why would I hand over 60,000 Baht for a bike that is not legally mine???)

Just a little confused (but then this is Thailand...:) ) as in Australia, if you buy a used bike/car from a dealer then you can pretty confident all paperwork is sorted.

Thanks,

Rich

We have just transferred ownership of a bike here in Pattaya, requirement was: Passport & letter of residence of new owner (farang), id card and green book from previous owner (Thai), all transferred for I think 300 baht.

Personally I'd never PAY for a second hand vehicle in Thailand until said vehicle and green book has been inspected by the Land Transport Department to verify everything checks out. The inspection is FREE BTW. Too many dodgy frames, engines and books out there. Buyer beware!

most problems with the green books will come from bikes that has been imported- the phantoms are sold new from honda...

Just ask the dealer to show you the green book, then you can go with him to transfer it into your name.. Hand him the money when you have the book...

Now if it is a large dealership like Honda- they will probably sort it all out for you...

I run a Bike Rental place in Chalong and have done this many times....

Normally they need the following to register a bike for the transfer of ownership:

Old Owner - Signed copies of all the below:

Copy of Passport and Visa (Valid and current) OR Thai ID

Copy of House Paper (BLUE BOOK) AND Rental Contract AND a copy of the House Owners Thai ID

Letter from Immigration (approx 200 THB)

New Owner - Signed copies of all the below:

Copy of Passport and Visa

Copy of House Paper AND Rental Contract AND a copy of the House Owners Thai ID OR Work permit for proof of residence

Both parties sign the transfer documents - two sheets

Lately though they have been requesting the new owners passport along with the copy (normally for one day). If you are buying from a Dealer they should be able to sort all of this out for you no problem though so not sure why you are having problems??

If you dont have the green book its possible to do the tax and insurance but it needs to be done via an agent and before it runs out - I have done it a couple of times for friends but the green book is PROOF OF OWNERSHIP so vital you get this in your name!

Good luck anyway

..... Oh and DONT rely on the dealer as they dont always do what they should!!!

Make sure the serial number on the bike matches the green book - when buying second hand bikes dont trust the milage its easily clocked by disreputable dealers.

Take into account the body work; is it sun bleached, scratched or damaged? What's the state of the tires/ rims, look out for scaped on the footpegs/mirros/ brake levers and exhausts as this can mean its been dropped and skidded!

Also check the amount of owners in the green book - it has the date of registration, each double page is a new owner.

You can not pay road tax and insurance on your wave without the green book.

My tax ran out last week, I was sitting in a bar with friends and they said don't worry.

As there was a Thai rooming house behind us we went out to check everyone else's bikes..

Out of the 30 bikes parked outside, 3 had Tax stickers, 2 of those were out of date (last year).

So I think the answer is almost everyone (in ChiangMai anyway) drives without tax, without insurance and probably without a driving licence.

Edited by pjclark1