Powerful Families Controlling Thailand?

drronnie

I am neither red shirt nor supporter of the yellows, however I have always had suspicion that this country is ruled by powerful oligarch type familes like the Maleenonts, Na Ayudhyas or the Bhiromphakdi and that the prime minister and government are only puppets. Rumor has it that Thaksin tried to be more powerful than these ruling familes therfore he was couped out. Any truth to this? I heard that Maleenonts is trying to be some kind "Rupert Murdoch"

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently The Yellow shirts are backed by these powerful families. It does amaze me how the wealth in Thailand is shared by so few. A lot of the Thai- Chinese own most of the big companies and industries and are happy with the way things are. They worked hard to get where they are and are intent in maintaining their privileged positions. This goes all the way to the top. These people do not want any equal distribution of wealth or power and do not want any educated people to come through to challenge their firm grip. Think 1976. Think all the people who have been cast out for writing or saying anything challenging the Status Quo.

Edited by aridion

Not only in Thailand, the economies of Hong Kong and south-east Asia are dominated by only 40/50 families. Their interests range from banking to property, from shipping to sugar, from gambling to lumber. At their peak, 8 of the world's dozen richest families were south-est Asian, yet they are largely unknown outside the region.

An interesting book regarding this matter: Asian Godfathers by Joe Studwell

Early on, Studwell refreshingly dismisses the common assertion that being Chinese confers an unusually high potential for economic success, showing that the predominance of ethnic Chinese among the godfathers devolves from the colonial era and emigration patterns rather than genetics.

Edited by lazygourmet

Not only in Thailand, the economies of Hong Kong and south-east Asia are dominated by only 40/50 families. Their interests range from banking to property, from shipping to sugar, from gambling to lumber. At their peak, 8 of the world's dozen richest families were south-est Asian, yet they are largely unknown outside the region.

Early on, Studwell refreshingly dismisses the common assertion that being Chinese confers an unusually high potential for economic success, showing that the predominance of ethnic Chinese among the godfathers devolves from the colonial era and emigration patterns rather than genetics.

Thanks for the lead. That is indeed an interesting book which I will look out to purchase. I see that for example the Maleenont family (owners of Channel 3) are doing a "good job" of keeping the common people asleep through promoting their nonsense soap operas and highly overated stars.

When will common people start to wake up to the smell of coffee?

Thanks for the lead. That is indeed an interesting book which I will look out to purchase. I see that for example the Maleenont family (owners of Channel 3) are doing a "good job" of keeping the common people asleep through promoting their nonsense soap operas and highly overated stars.

Perhaps when they turn off the TV. Just a thought. :lol:

The problem is to get them to turn off the TVs in the first place.

so unlike hollywood or, say, the indian film industry which only produce informative and educational entertainment.

Is this thread a lesson in conspiracy theory 101?

I do not think that this is a conspiracy theory. One has to open the eyes and see how the people are manipulated by the few. Some people are starting to wake up and fight back like the red shirts are doing. However the red shirts are ill advised if they think that Thaksin would be a savior as he himself has a selfish agenda.

I do not think that this is a conspiracy theory. One has to open the eyes and see how the people are manipulated by the few. Some people are starting to wake up and fight back like the red shirts are doing. However the red shirts are ill advised if they think that Thaksin would be a savior as he himself has a selfish agenda.

That is a hedging your bets quote there....

I'm curious: What do you thing people are 'fighting back' against?

I'm even more interested in your thesis of what 'controlling Thailand' means?

Does it mean that at each point in the day powerful families are somehow dictating how life should be lived by the majority of Thai citizens? Or something else???

Does it mean that at each point in the day powerful families are somehow dictating how life should be lived by the majority of Thai citizens? Or something else???

Lazygourmet nails it. In Thai society a few families own the majority of the wealth. And they try to keep the common man subservient by feeding him a puppet government and lots of mass media lies.

Lazygourmet nails it. In Thai society a few families own the majority of the wealth. And they try to keep the common man subservient by feeding him a puppet government and lots of mass media lies.

What's the old saying "you get the govt you deserve"?

Mass Media lies - really so different here than anywhere else. Been to China or Singapore lately?

A not so brilliant person once wrote: "If you look like a sheep, and act like a sheep, don't be surprised if they pull the wool over your eyes."

What's the old saying "you get the govt you deserve"?

Mass Media lies - really so different here than anywhere else. Been to China or Singapore lately?

A not so brilliant person once wrote: "If you look like a sheep, and act like a sheep, don't be surprised if they pull the wool over your eyes."

You are spot on BKKJames. I am aware that the same stuff goes on in other countries as well, however I am Thai and living in Thailand and I would like to open people's eyes and expose the elit for what they. However it is probably going to be like Morpheus said to Neo in the Matrix " The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it. "

You are spot on BKKJames. I am aware that the same stuff goes on in other countries as well, however I am Thai and living in Thailand and I would like to open people's eyes and expose the elit for what they. However it is probably going to be like Morpheus said to Neo in the Matrix " The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it. "

If only they would go to TVF, then they could read the truth and "the truth will set them free".

Very interesting thread potentially but I fear it will be shut down before it gets interesting.

Many good points raised but you can't underestimate the value of cultural legacy. The Chinese work ethic and numeracy gave them advantages in this age to excel in commerce. If they were willing to teach what they know, would it be in their best interests? Who can say?

Is it more likely that western influence will have an impact? again, who can say. Look at the success or lack of it, in learning English.

As for Media, you CAN NOT underestimate its power. Hollywood has strong Israeli interest and that is no secret. But again, the success of the Jews can be charted and is again down to cultural legacy. You should read, Malcom Gladwell's "Outliers" to understand this concept better.

Thailand is not exceptional. Its simply the victim of a set of circumstances. What agents of change will modify that is a whole other box of crayons!

Marx said that religion is the opiate of the mass, I would expand this and say TV and religion is the opiate of the masses.

so it is always someone else's fault for their predicament?

Samran,

passing the buck is the topic of another thread on cultural legacies...

I'll let you lead that one, but I'd be happy to comment.

<_<

hehe.

No doubt there are influential business networks in Thailand (the same as everywhere else) but in terms of rent seekers, Thailand's business class have alot to learn from 'lobby groups' and government relations guru's in the west.

All I am trying to do is understand the OP's thoughts on how the Thai people are 'being controlled'. A bit of evidence would be nice.

At its essence, what I have from the OP at the moment is that the Thai people are somehow being kept down by 'da man' and a quote from the undeniably excellent Matrix movies (Monica Bellucci in tight leather :wub:) as evidence!

I keep reading this type of crap on Thai Visa but I see little evidence of actual obstruction into the free market by private business. Who is stopping competition?

In another thread, someone was complaining that Thais who own the distribution rights to cameras don't lower their prices fast enough. He thought that was unfair. He didn't respond to my post, but what would he like to be done about it? The government subsidize or set price controls on Cannon cameras? :rolleyes:

You have your eye on that Ferrari and Hong Kong Penthouse but there is no real conceivable way that you are likely to find yourself living the life of your dreams so you get angry and become an advocate of Central Planning. :whistling:

I keep reading this type of crap on Thai Visa but I see little evidence of actual obstruction into the free market by private business. Who is stopping competition?

In another thread, someone was complaining that Thais who own the distribution rights to cameras don't lower their prices fast enough. He thought that was unfair. He didn't respond to my post, but what would he like to be done about it? The government subsidize or set price controls on Cannon cameras? :rolleyes:

You have your eye on that Ferrari and Hong Kong Penthouse but there is no real conceivable way that you are likely to find yourself living the life of your dreams so you get angry and become an advocate of Central Planning. :whistling:

I think the issue is more that the protection of the companies outweighs the general public good.

Alcohol pricing in this country is the most obvious example I can some up with .

Of course everyone wants to get as much of the top of the social pyramid as possible. However I see that in many cases young talented students or newcomers are denied because the top families and their goons have already taken the top positions and will not hand them out. Nepotism anyone? If you look at the name Na Ayudhya for example. You will find this name in every branch, from government officials, to major companies or entertainment industry. One almost has the impression we are still living feudalist times

Since the absolute Monarchy was abolished in 1932, Thai politics was dominated by a military and bureaucratic elit, these are the families the OP aludes to. Then in 1997, due to the instability and weakness of successive civilian government a new constitution was formed. This permitted the entry of business tycoons into politics........Then corruption began on an industrial scale.........

http://www.hbs.edu/units/strategy/pdf/Pramuan-Yupana-Feb22-2006.pdf

This is an interesting subject and many books and article explain why this is so. One is......Modern Thai politics: from village to nation, by Clark D. Neher.............You can read it here......

http://www.google.com/books?hl=zh-CN&lr=&id=Gqk9_jozvRcC&oi=fnd&pg=PA294&dq=Rice+corruption+in+Thailand&ots=N6GHy_usKd&sig=cOsTe5jO4OyKdZZqaVTRobYPcHg#v=onepage&q=Rice%20corruption%20in%20Thailand&f=false

Apparently so, since it entirely overlooks the real power-brokers in Thailand. Power rests regionally and to suggest as in the OP that Thaksin threatened just a few families' power/influence/money is to overlook much that should be obvious if one looks at the "who's who" of Thailand.

Of course everyone wants to get as much of the top of the social pyramid as possible. However I see that in many cases young talented students or newcomers are denied because the top families and their goons have already taken the top positions and will not hand them out. Nepotism anyone? If you look at the name Na Ayudhya for example. You will find this name in every branch, from government officials, to major companies or entertainment industry. One almost has the impression we are still living feudalist times

But nothing is stopping you from starting your own business and competing with them. If Company A hires the most qualified individual and Company B just hires a relative, then we can expect that Company A is going to eventually run Company B out of business.

Now, if the entrepreneurs of Company B threaten violence upon Company A or if the Thai government refuses to allow anyone else but Company B the right to sell orange juice/build cars/whatever then you have an obstruction into the free market which is a concern. Private ownership is the core of a capitalist free market.

What do you think about the US government forcing Walmart to pay hundred million dollar fines for not hiring enough African American truck drivers. Is that the type of thing you want to see happen in Thailand?

Feudalist? Hardly.

Does nepotism exist? Of course. But, as convinently happens in Thailand, the useless ones are generally sidelined into 'non-active posts' to use civil servant parlance. No one gets sacked in Thailand. Sidelined, but not sacked.

As for the rest - and their are quite a few of them these days (I mean I have a cousin who is a Na Aythaya for heavens sake) has it ever occured to you that they are simply better and smarter that you?

It is the same whinge that comes from many expats here on Thai Visa....get off the plane and expect that they can show the locals a 'thing or two'. Turns out, the locals already know a 'thing or two', those in charge, while being adept at the greasy pole that is corporate/political/social life and staus, are generally quite competent people and would wipe the floor with you if you went head to head with them.

Sure, there are useless bods anywhere you go - Thailand hardly has a monopoly on incompetent people at the top.

But then that is what you ultimately want isn't it?

And guess what - Thailand might be more like the west than you think....

ok

Feudalist? Hardly.

Does nepotism exist? Of course. But, as convinently happens in Thailand, the useless ones are generally sidelined into 'non-active posts' to use civil servant parlance. No one gets sacked in Thailand. Sidelined, but not sacked.

As for the rest - and their are quite a few of them these days (I mean I have a cousin who is a Na Aythaya for heavens sake) has it ever occured to you that they are simply better and smarter that you?

It is the same whinge that comes from many expats here on Thai Visa....get off the plane and expect that they can show the locals a 'thing or two'. Turns out, the locals already know a 'thing or two', those in charge, while being adept at the greasy pole that is corporate/political/social life and staus, are generally quite competent people and would wipe the floor with you if you went head to head with them.

Sure, there are useless bods anywhere you go - Thailand hardly has a monopoly on incompetent people at the top.

But then that is what you ultimately want isn't it?

And guess what - Thailand might be more like the west than you think....

Hmmm that assuming that its a level playing field..... This study says its not.

http://www.hbs.edu/units/strategy/pdf/Pramuan-Yupana-Feb22-2006.pdf

Edited by waza

You got to see the bigger picture. A lot of it has to do with education and opportunity. There just isn't a level playing field. Yes, you can get this in other countries as well, even in the West. Just because it is there doesn't mean it's right.

I had a Thai-Chinese girlfriend once whose father owned a variey of property and businesses around Bangkok. He had a Thai Chauffer who became his friend. The Chauffer was from Isaan and my gf said that he took care of his family well while saving to open a small restaurant on the outskirts of Bangkok. My gf's father often said that the Chauffer was smarter than his two nephews, who liked fast cars and living up the playboy lifestyle. Her father had total trust in this man from Isaan. They used to have meetings about the businesses. I was at one once. The father was trying to expand and needed a manager. He wasn't happy somehow about letting either of his nephews manage. So he asked my GF. She didn't want to but would do it if needed.

I asked her afterwards why her father didn't ask the Chauffer to manage it. After all he had her fathers trust and was hard working and intelligent. Wouild it not be great for him and his family for him to have a better income and a higher postion. Her reply was "We don't want him to have a better job because he might be better and learn too much, his people need to be down"

I am not with her any more.

Edited by aridion