มือใหม่ หัดขับ

kokesaat

A car in front of me had a sticker on the rear window that said มือใหม่ หัดขับ

I assumed the driver was a student driver (no license), thus the หัดขึบ. A Thai friend tells me newly licensed drivers are the ones who put these stickers on their windows.

I know a newly licensed driver in the US might have anywhere from only 6-50 hours of practice on the road. But it seems to me that once that person gets their license, the last thing they'd want hanging on the window is something that says, "New driver, (still) practicing"

Am I missing something in the translation, or is this just a case of Thai mentality (not necessarily wrong, just different)?

Where I am from newly licensed driver must have a magnetic sticker on their car during one year. It used to be "90", to indicate that you were not allowed to drive faster than 90 km/h, then it became an "A" (for apprentice). Of course nobody wants it, but it's compulsory. It's also compulsory to have at least 20 hours of practice before taking the driving test, and you can't drive alone before the age of 18. It doesn't make French drivers any better than American drivers, though I wouldn't trust a 16 yo with only 6 hours of practice behind the wheel!

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at this not so much for the Thai translation but for the difference in East/West thinking. Maybe it's me, but I'd guess most new drivers in the US (who are generally 16-20 years old) wouldn't want to put a sticker on their window/bumper that advertises the fact that they're a new driver. But then, most college grads in the US wouldn't have their graduation photo taken while holding a Hello Kitty doll either.

Thanks again

Yes. It does mean 'New Hand' at driving. It has no lawful use. I guess they stick it on there so as get a little more leway whilst making the manditory thai styled 5 minutes to turn a corner. Where I am from you have to stick a big L for learner on both front and back of your vehicle. It goes with a whole host of other lawful restrictions. :rolleyes:

Edited by coma

I've seen this one.

post-28513-0-60732200-1294743622_thumb.j

Where i come from, it is a legal requirement to hang an L sign both in front and at the rear for a period of time after getting the licence to drive. If it was not a legal requirement, most (if not all) would not have the courtesy of cautioning others on the road. Most Thai people do it voluntarily. Simply interpreted, it means "sorry for the inconvenience" (caused to you due to my slow driving).