Bangkok Van Crash Girl Released Without Bail

webfact

Van crash girl released without bail

By The Nation

An underage driver involved in a tollway crash last month which killed nine van passengers has been released without bail, because she turned herself in to police and had not been arrested - a condition for leniency under the juvenile procedural law.

Head of the Department of Juvenile Observation and Protection Thawatchai Thaikheo played down speculation and scepticism that the unnamed 16-year-old girl escaped temporary detention at a home for youths after her surrender because of "influence" from her family.

"The procedural law for youth emphasises behavioural adjustment and correctional measures rather than detention of young people in violation of laws," he said.

Unlike underage street racers sent to homes for youths after arrests by police, the girl was not arrested, and thus not subject to detention at any department facilities.

He said the law allowed decisions on home detention or whether young offenders would stay with their parents during the legal process on a case-by-case basis.

Other factors pertinent to whether young offenders were detained at a home or sent for rehabilitation included whether they felt remorseful about their acts, or needed psychiatric therapy for their misbehaviour or post-prosecution distress.

The girl has been charged with causing deaths and injuries through carelessness and driving without a licence. These could result in her receiving a jail term of up to seven years and a small fine, respectively.

Wicha Mahakhun, a former senior judge in juvenile cases in the Supreme Court, said the girl was likely to get a suspended sentence, not because of social privilege, but due to her confession, her remorse, her family's payment of compensation to victims, or mandatory rehabilitation.

Even trials for premeditated murder could end with a young offender getting a suspended jail term, he said, if they showed remorse or were willing to undergo rehabilitation or gave victims compensation.

"The juvenile procedural law focuses on changing young offenders' behaviour, not on punishing them," he explained.

While police compiled evidence and completed their inquiry and recommended an indictment, Correction officials would collect information on her post-crime behaviour, history, mental state, and that of her family, to report to judges in the juvenile court. The details would be used in considering what sentence to impose and whether to be lenient, Wicha said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-11

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why wasn't this criminal arrested at the scene, when it was established that she was driving illegally because she was under-age and had no licence?

Of course she will do no jail time, because of her families influence.

Justice for all? Not a chance in this corrupt Country. Money is God here. bah.gif

Bearing in mind that the car involved in this horrific collision was a Honda. I find the Google ad's attached to this thread (And others) to be in poor taste.

Would the same ad's appear if the subect matter was different?

Edited by jaiyenyen

^^ Yes, as they're simply contextual and pick up on keywords automatically... nothing to read too much into there.

Wicha Mahakhun, a former senior judge in juvenile cases in the Supreme Court, said the girl was likely to get a suspended sentence, not because of social privilege, but due to her confession, her remorse

What remorse? Nothing changes, with the focus being firmly on the perp and not the victim. The parents should at least be banged up no matter what compensation has been paid. Muang Thai is not moving forward is it.

When people can be locked up for years for giving their opinions but those who kill people either by murder or in an accident of this nature don't do time, the raison d'etre of the 'criminal or justice' system needs to be brought into question, this country will only continue to make snail like progress as long as this disparity continues.

When people can be locked up for years for giving their opinions but those who kill people either by murder or in an accident of this nature don't do time, the raison d'etre of the 'criminal or justice' system needs to be brought into question, this country will only continue to make snail like progress as long as this disparity continues.

Totally agree. Wealth should have no bearing on justice for the families who suffered losses. It is a gross injustice. Monetary compensation will never bring back those who lost their lives through this young girls selfish arrogant act. And having her roaming around just adds insult and contempt to the process.

^^ Yes, as they're simply contextual and pick up on keywords automatically... nothing to read too much into there.

Wicha Mahakhun, a former senior judge in juvenile cases in the Supreme Court, said the girl was likely to get a suspended sentence, not because of social privilege, but due to her confession, her remorse

What remorse? Nothing changes, with the focus being firmly on the perp and not the victim. The parents should at least be banged up no matter what compensation has been paid. Muang Thai is not moving forward is it.

This is sick-and its turning out to be more so. Remorse, confession, Money paid. If it had been me. I confessed. looked sad, and withdrew money from the bank. I,m more or less Free. Arrested at the scene. no doubt in my mind, most people in Thailand will be angry at the never mind attitude of the authorities. It was on the cards. The minority of posters, your wishes have come true.

So if I kill some one,then give my self up to the police,say I am sorry then I will not have to go to jail. It's like monopely "do not go to jail do not collect £200 ", or has she got a" get out of jail free card"???

Of course she was gonna get off.. her father owns the largest ind. estate in Thailand (Amata nakorn).. oh.. and he's one of the top police in metropolitan Bkk.

Isn't it odd that the top echelons of Thailand police force seem to be manned by very successful businessmen yet the management and effectiveness of the police is a joke? :rolleyes:

Of course she was released. Her family is rich and with influencial members. If she were poor then it would be off to the big house with her. Years back a thug from a super rich family in BKK allegedly shot dead a cop infront of 20 witnesses all of whom succumbed to collective amnesia.

Edited by jalansanitwong

Of course she was gonna get off.. her father owns the largest ind. estate in Thailand (Amata nakorn).. oh.. and he's one of the top police in metropolitan Bkk.

Isn't it odd that the top echelons of Thailand police force seem to be manned by very successful businessmen yet the management and effectiveness of the police is a joke? :rolleyes:

Why do you people post these completely unfounded rumors?

Amata Corp is a publicly traded corporation. The list of major stockholders is public information.

post-7298-0-92567300-1294713284_thumb.jp

Do you see the girl’s family listed anywhere?

Her father is a retired Army colonel and has nothing to do with the Police.

TH

That is incorrect. You really should check your facts before you join in with the misinformation crew. :rolleyes:

So if I kill some one,then give my self up to the police,say I am sorry then I will not have to go to jail. It's like monopely "do not go to jail do not collect £200 ", or has she got a" get out of jail free card"???

Actually, not that far from the truth. A thai friend's brother was killed in a drunken brawl, had his brains smashed out with a brick. An arrangement was made via BIB, no jail time for killer if he pays B1000/month for 8 years, less commission of course. Payment made to BIB and if he misses, threatened with re-opening of case.

The payment would be higher if a farang involved, at least as far as being the guilty party.

Even trials for premeditated murder could end with a young offender getting a suspended jail term, he said, if they showed remorse or were willing to undergo rehabilitation or gave victims compensation.

I guess society should consider itself lucky she, as a juvenile, didn't actually TRY to kill 9 people....

I won't be surprised to see her on the cover of Thailand Tatler or Hiso Party Magazines next! The Hiso's must be laughing at the common people.........its time for a real drastic change in this country and only the common thai people can bring it about.

I've never been a fan of mandatory sentencing regulations, including those for detention and bail, but if ever a place needed to have fewer loopholes, it is Thailand.

I believe not far in the distant past there were a group of street racers that were sent to juvenile facilities.  As I recall it was a rather large number and families were quite upset.  Of course, these were relatively poor kids.  

Something smells about the ownership of the car issue. The honda was supposedly a loaner while another car was being repaired, which was then lent to the girl, and so far the third party has not been identified.

IMHO this is a scam to obscure actual ownership/responsibility. How many garages/workshops have a near new car as a loaner? To make that economically feasible, what sort of repair rates would they have to charge? Where are the (supposedly free) lease and insurance documents?

So far there is no paperwork link to the "friend," even though his/her vehicle is supposedly at the garage for repair. Want to bet that it turns out to be a valueless clunker with a dodgy book, and the friend disappears? :angry:

Agree with most of the replies on this, what a slap on the face to the victims families. Should have been arrestted on the spot for being underage driving and without a license.

No doubt she will probably get behind the wheel again soon.

Amata Corp is a publicly traded corporation. The list of major stockholders is public information.

TH

The family name pops up in the board of directors of a different industrial zone corp and quite a few other very serious companies. Whether they are direct relatives who knows, but still......

Edited by Thai at Heart

TH

The family name pops up in the board of directors of a different industrial zone corp and quite a few other very serious companies. Whether they are direct relatives who knows, but still......

Appears there may be a 4% ownership of Hemaraj Development Corp and several other companies.

I was not denying the family is well off, just that the post was completely inaccurate which was compounded by further inane remarks based on that incorrect information.

TH

Appears there may be a 4% ownership of Hemaraj Development Corp and several other companies.

I was not denying the family is well off, just that the post was completely inaccurate which was compounded by further inane remarks based on that incorrect information.

TH

Correct, the name doesn't have anything to do with Amata.

There is another estate development firm, with the family name readily searchable on the internet.

TH

Correct, the name doesn't have anything to do with Amata.

There is another estate development firm, with the family name readily searchable on the internet.

Who cares?

This thread is in no way related to industrial estate ownership....

are you 16??