Riding In Bangkok

snowflake

I am contemplating a trip up to Bangkok in March. My question for all you boys up there is simple...

since I can not use the toll ways, which way is the best coming into town from Hua Hin? What time of the day is the best one to come?

I don't mind coming late at night- if it makes it easier/safer...

Any tips or trics, routes or guides?

Thanks for all the help I can get..

Ps, I want to end up infront of Siam Paragon...

I took Rama 2 (35), then Suk Sawat until the right turn to Ratchapruk, cross the bridge and take Sathorn until Rama4. I got a bit lost with the rama 2 - suk sawat section though as I was tired. Ive done the trip in the evening and the afternoon and both times it was busy...I guess middle of the night will be quiet though.

that would pretty much be the one.....But once you get onto the 35 (rama2) the dickheads in the trucks and suv's seem to smell home and get more......dichheadybiggrin.gif So be wary.

Yes, i will 2nd that about the pickup dickheads...watch out for random lane changes and tailgating you badly even when you are stuck behind other traffic.

When you get to the Rama II - Suksawat junction, do a right, go along Suksawat to Saphan Wong Wan/Bhumiphol Bridge. Go left onto the bridge and follow the signs to Rama III. Once on Rama III, go straight up past Khlong Toey to Suckhumvit and do a left towards Siam Square.

thanks people...

I found bkk easy to drive in with a car, is it really that bad on a bike?

Let's just say, it's an acquired taste... During the day I much prefer getting around Bangkok in the air conditioned comfort and safety of a car. It can be fun to ride around Bangkok in the evening, after rush hour, when the temperature drops and the pollution dissipates a bit.

When you get to the Rama II - Suksawat junction, do a right, go along Suksawat to Saphan Wong Wan/Bhumiphol Bridge. Go left onto the bridge and follow the signs to Rama III. Once on Rama III, go straight up past Khlong Toey to Suckhumvit and do a left towards Siam Square.

I do not believe technically this is legal although I do see the odd bike up there and I've never seen any BIB in waiting.

Ps, I want to end up infront of Siam Paragon...

I thought you were coming to visit me.bah.giflaugh.gif

Well I don't mind riding my motorcycle in BKK everyday. Just take it easy until you are used to it. Every area of Thailand has a little bit different driving style. As far as the overpasses and bridges go, I just watch ahead, if the little scooters are taking the flyover bridge, then I will take it also. Better in numbers, because if the police are on the other side, I figure if I am in a group of motorbikes, then I have a lower chance of being waived over. If there are police, you will usually see several scooters doing u-turns and coming back to avoid the police.

I have taken that bridge on my motorcycle a couple of times and have never seen any police.