Road Rage Shooting Wounds Thai International Airways Pilot

webfact

Road rage shooting wounds pilot

By The Nation

A Thai International Airways pilot was shot in the shoulder yesterday in an apparent case of road rage when an SUV fired seven rounds at his sedan on a Bangkok motorway.

Phoolwit Ruengdej, 53, is now safe after an operation to remove the bullet.

He told police that it started with the white Toyota Fortuner approaching him from behind with its headlights on high beam, which blinded him. He retaliated by flashing his BMW's headlights back at it.

Police said they could not find the SUV, which fled eastwards on the outbound lanes, and were inspecting footage from traffic cameras.

Phoolwit said the SUV had a red licence plate, showing that it was recently bought, and he didn't catch the number.

Prawet police quoted Phoolwit as saying the SUV was running behind him when it turned on the high beams of its Xenon headlights, which were too bright and stung his eyes. He waited for the SUV to pass, then beamed his headlights back at them. The SUV then slowed down, and did the same to him.

This went on back and forth for awhile until the SUV came alongside his BMW and pointed a red laser at him, which caused him to turn on his torchlight and beam it back. The SUV, with an unknown number of occupants, then slowed down and the shooting began.

After being hit, Phoolwit, who was assigned to captain a flight at 2am, drove onto a road heading towards Suvarnabhumi Airport and parked to wait and see what would happen next.

The SUV also parked "in a gesture suggesting that they would shoot at me again", he told reporters.

The pilot said he later drove to the THAI Operations Centre and asked for medical help, before he was sent to a nearby hospital.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-14

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good pilot should be emotionally stable and calm, should demonstrate self discipline and be able to manage crisis situations.

I do not believe the pilot's behaviour in this situation demonstrates those characteristics and I wouldn't want to be a passenger on his plane if there was a catastrophic equipment failure.

A quick check of the departures from BKK show that TG had no passenger flights scheduled for 02:00. Perhaps he was a freighter pilot. Small solace in that though. Freighter planes can still fall out of the sky when mishandled.

I hope that TG management sends this man for a psychological evaluation.

From this report of the sequences of flashing lights, torch use??? laser use, etc, its sounds like all concerned have the maturity of preschool children. The scary part is there are other vehicles on the road that could have been hit with stray lead flying around or had a accident due to the movements of these vehicles on the roadway.

I have seen this type of tit for tat on the roads and I drop back a distance and if it persists just pull for a cup of coffee and let them have their pissing contest with their 4 wheeled mode of destruction.

Even if the pilot driving the car was emotionally charged (I would be also, in such a charged scenario), it's f*cked-up to think someone shot at him. Those shots were meant to kill. The pilot was lucky to survive with just a shoulder wound.

Let's hope the perpetrators are found and, if convicted, are put away for a loooooong time behind bars. No leniency, no early release.

Edited by brahmburgers

What's really scarry is that there is a SUV on tyhe road being driven by some one who obviously has no regard for others. He feels it is OK for him to do to you but not OK for you to do it to him.

And the really scary part is he is armed and not afraid to use it.

A good pilot should be emotionally stable and calm, should demonstrate self discipline and be able to manage crisis situations.

I do not believe the pilot's behaviour in this situation demonstrates those characteristics and I wouldn't want to be a passenger on his plane if there was a catastrophic equipment failure.

A quick check of the departures from BKK show that TG had no passenger flights scheduled for 02:00. Perhaps he was a freighter pilot. Small solace in that though. Freighter planes can still fall out of the sky when mishandled.

This is a bunch of ladida.

Pilots are not superhuman beings, they are trained to do their job, in the seats upfront they should practice what they were being thought. For the rest they are just as human as anybody else. And there is no difference between a freighter pilot and one doing the self loading cargo flights by the way.

Wow totally different story that was on BP...according to them the pilot let the Fortuner pass then flash his high beams once to let them know the high beams was on. After that he over took the Fortuner because he was in a hurry to get to the airpot.

They said the Fortuner then sped up behind and flashed their high beams multipule times and then pulled next to the BMW and opened fire, nothing about the pilot going back and forth with the Fortuner.

Edited by arkom

Morally bankrupt society decaying even further.
all concerned have the maturity of preschool children

About sums it up!

:(

Certain elements, yes. The entire society? Painting with a rather large brush aren't we?

New to Thailand, are we? ;)

Pilots are not superhuman beings, they are trained to do their job, in the seats upfront they should practice what they were being thought. For the rest they are just as human as anybody else. And there is no difference between a freighter pilot and one doing the self loading cargo flights by the way.

This was one of the main stories on channel 3 news last night, the pilot came across as a reasonable person and gave (his) account of what happened.

Lots of pics of his shot up motor too, he was pretty lucky!.

Its not the pilot who requires a psychological evaluation.

I am sure this story will not suprise anyone. After all this is Thailand. Anyone who gets involved in road rage in Thailand has a death wish.

Seconded.

I see some of the most idiotic driving everyday on the way to work. Driving in Phuket is terrifying for the majority of the time and most of it is down to darn right stupid people. When you see something so stupid and dangerous that nearly KILLS people its difficult to hold your feelings in. It seems you must try very hard though because if you point out just how stupid or bad someones driving is, they may not take it as constructive criticism and decide that they must kill you.

I was told that when driving you must assume that everyone is an idiot. Here you must assume everyone is gun wielding,angry, psycho maniac nutters that are late for dinner.

Drive safe folks.

No it is not. There are specific mental health evaluation criteria used by airlines and cargo companies, even in Asia. I suggest you pick up a copy of the Association of Aviation Psychology Journal and read some of the studies it publishes. There is enough literature available that references the need to "keep emotion out of the cockpit" and the emphasis upon self-control that I shouldn't have to remind you of that. More specifically, If certain psychological characteristics were not required or grounds for concern, why then do most of the major airlines have tests like the MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory) and the MCMI Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory. These tests were were designed to identify psychopathology. There are also tests like the Revised NEO Personality Inventory (NEO-PI-R) and the Eysenck Personality Inventory to check for normal personality characteristics. Airlines cannot aford to have unstable employees at the controls of their equipment.

Iit's cute that you want to describe a passenger aircraft as "self loading". Although there may be difference between a freighter pilot and a passenger plane pilot, there is a big difference in the risks presented. IF a TG B747-400 goes down chances are that 450+ people will die. If a B747-400 freighter goes down, only the 3 personnel on board might die. Both scenarios exclude the plane crashing in a populated area.

This was one of the main stories on channel 3 news last night, the pilot came across as a reasonable person and gave (his) account of what happened.

Lots of pics of his shot up motor too, he was pretty lucky!.

Its not the pilot who requires a psychological evaluation.

If what you say is accurate, then yes, I would have to agree. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of taking the Nation's article as "accurate".

I have learnt my lesson: Treat the Nation as I would treat an article authored by Andrew Drummond.

The references I made about the need for emotional stability remain. However, if your reported version of events is accurate, then the pilot would appear to have demonstrated restraint.

No it is not. There are specific mental health evaluation criteria used by airlines and cargo companies, even in Asia. I suggest you pick up a copy of the Association of Aviation Psychology Journal and read some of the studies it publishes. There is enough literature available that references the need to "keep emotion out of the cockpit" and the emphasis upon self-control that I shouldn't have to remind you of that. More specifically, If certain psychological characteristics were not required or grounds for concern, why then do most of the major airlines have tests like the MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory) and the MCMI Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory. These tests were were designed to identify psychopathology. There are also tests like the Revised NEO Personality Inventory (NEO-PI-R) and the Eysenck Personality Inventory to check for normal personality characteristics. Airlines cannot aford to have unstable employees at the controls of their equipment.

Iit's cute that you want to describe a passenger aircraft as "self loading". Although there may be difference between a freighter pilot and a passenger plane pilot, there is a big difference in the risks presented. IF a TG B747-400 goes down chances are that 450+ people will die. If a B747-400 freighter goes down, only the 3 personnel on board might die. Both scenarios exclude the plane crashing in a populated area.

I don't need to pick up a copy, have been an insider for a long time already, you would be very surprised in what way some pilots behave in their own time.

Almost human, with all mistakes attached. There is an up and a down side to everything and that goes for pilots too. They misbehave, show up drunk, fail their medicals and " forget" to tell, you name it. Not talking beginners here.

And all siting upfront are trying to save their ass, will it be cargo or passenger or live stock that they are transporting, it makes no difference except that passengers complain about a missed approach or a rough landing, cargo and livestock tend to be easier. Just don't romanticize it too much.

It absolutely takes a certain mentality I agree on that, but in everyday life they are just human beings. Self loading cargo is a commonly used expression, not always appreciated, but used.

I agree. Unless he was a fighter pilot in the RTAF.

I agree. Unless he was a fighter pilot in the RTAF.

Donot get me started about militairy pilots, they blow of steam in ways which would make all our moms blush....

I agree with you geriatric kid

keep emotion out of the cockpit?? he wasn't in the cockpit, also further news reports show no blame to the pilot in this matter, he is simply the victim of a shooting whilst on his way to work.

next you will be telling us he fly's close behind other planes on approach and flashes his lights, then undercuts them to land first, well as you seem to think he is mentally unstable or unsuitable for flying based on the fact he was the victim of a crime i thought i would be ridiculous also.

edit, I notice you already admitted your mistake in assuming The Nation publishes facts relating to incidents.

Edited by random

There IS a difference among us humans.And some of us R,more "up and going" than the rest,and that is a Fact .

Could have said so much more.but am kikiat 2daycool.gif

I would like to see a few of the posters here keep calm behind the wheel under fire after already taking one in the 'wing'. :ph34r:

Well.Like i said.some stay calm whatever happens.but they are few.they got in from the birth and are also highly trained later in life to take an incident!ph34r.gif .wink.gif

Whaoh, you read all this from the Nation news article or some other source?! The Nation is not always noted for it's accurate news reporting or English language proof reading. For example the Bangkok Post's story says "Mr Poolwit, 53, was scheduled to pilot a flight to Athens that night." so their goes that theory of yours. That said I agree controlling ones emotions is a quality needed for any good car driver or airline pilot.

Edit: I notice later on in thread you have learnt not to believe all that is read in the papers.. a good start.

Edited by Digitalbanana

Whaoh, you read all this from the Nation news article or some other source?! The Nation is not always noted for it's accurate news reporting or English language proof reading. For example the Bangkok Post's story says "Mr Poolwit, 53, was scheduled to pilot a flight to Athens that night." so their goes that theory of yours. That said I agree controlling ones emotions is a quality needed for any good car driver or airline pilot.

Cut me some slack. I already acknowledged that if the Nation version was inaccurate that my comments should not be applied to the pilot although my comments in respect to emotional stability are lifted out of transport safety guidelines for health professionals. :jap: See I do admit when I am corrected.

Certain elements, yes. The entire society? Painting with a rather large brush aren't we?

New to Thailand, are we? ;)

no, more than 20 years and I too find this statement not only ridiculous but in violation of forum rules. Suggest we drop the broad generalizatons and stick to the story.