Muslim Separatist Group Threaten (news)

Cheeky Farang

I think the southern problems are very similar to how the situation was in Aceh, Indonesia.

Since the government showed that it was willing to talk about anything but independence, talks got underway.

Now I believe, Aceh has autonomy and the killings on both sides has stopped.

Both in Aceh and southern Thailand, there is oil and gas involved.

Both sides see vast wealth taken from their province and very little given back.

If Indonesia can do it, so can Thailand.

I do, however, agree with your assessment on the impact that Thai TV plays, galong.

It's also apparent for similar reasons along the borders with Laos and Cambodia that receive the signal with the people in those countries.

Economic frustration certainly plays a major role.

In all of the villages I've visited in Lao and Cambodia, those that have TV are dressed different from the way they used to dress. I find this rather sad. I guess it's that desire to fit in with the rest of the world.

Not that I don't like jeans, but a traditional sarong seems more comfortable and it's certainly more attractive... not necessarily meaning merely sexual stuff here.

Vang Vieng in Laos used to be a lovely small village. Now however, they've got crappy music (a term I don't like using for techo machine junk), pizza parlors and everything you'd see in a town that has had tourism for a while. It's really sad that they've let their village fester into this. Oh, and they've got TVs.

Belittling and berating religion - "Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly" Joseph Cambell

I think the southern problems are very similar to how the situation was in Aceh, Indonesia.

Since the government showed that it was willing to talk about anything but independence, talks got underway.

Now I believe, Aceh has autonomy and the killings on both sides has stopped.

Both in Aceh and southern Thailand, there is oil and gas involved.

Both sides see vast wealth taken from their province and very little given back.

If Indonesia can do it, so can Thailand.

Well, the peace deal is only 2 weeks old (from the BBC: The releases are among the key confidence-building measures agreed in the peace deal on 15 August.).

Time will tell I suppose.

Came across this while readin an article in the Jakarta Post (dated 31 Aug 2005). The article refers to a seminar hosted in Jakarta, at which there was a gathering of Asian and European editors.

"A participant from Pakistan, Mahfuz Anam, said that Muslim leaders should rise to the challenges of the present day, look at their own behavior and address their shortcomings.

"What do Muslim leaders do in Muslim countries? They are despotic, exploitative and authoritarian. Not a single ideal Islamic society exists," he said.

If they say that Muslim countries are good, he said: "Why are Muslims lining up at Western embassies to leave their countries?"

Another clipping :

"The scholar (Bahtiar Effendy) said it was not easy to promote the idea of a civil society in the context of Islam.

Taking the issue of prostitution as an example, he said, in Islam, the issue could not be voted on.

"In Islam you cannot vote (on the issue). In government you can vote," he said, adding that the same went for gambling."

Yet if I were to say the exact same things, people would accuse me of being racist and discriminatory and bigoted towards Muslims.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe living in a totalitarian regime is the way to go, where every aspect of my life is governed by religious fanatics, and anyone with a gun can be cop/judge/jury and executioner on the spot ? (I know, it's not like that in all Islamic countries, yet)

(remember, I've been living/working in Afghanistan for the last 2 years, where people were known to be executed because their beards were too short, and women were butt-stroked and imprisoned because their burquas were short enough to expose a little ankle).

Maybe my views seem a little skewed, but then again, I get to see the results of such a regime every day.

I'm sure that deep down, they are all very nice people, as long as you do exactly as they say, and as long as they think you believe in exactly the same way as they do. That's not too much to ask for is it ?