Over 50 Thai Girls Went Missing After Online Chats With Strangers

webfact

I always read these articles with a little bit of a jaundiced eye.  NGO's are not immune from using statistics to assist them in getting funds.  In the case of the on-line chat, the first thing is to determine if there was a direct link between them going missing and chatting on-line.  I am not trying to minimize the seriousness, but the idea of meeting a stranger anywhere, anytime needs to be stressed.  

Credo,

The reason that NGOs exist in this area in Thailand is that despite numerous affiliations to international agreements, Thai governments, and neighbouring countries, have been unable to stop the massive flow of women and young girls into prostitution. Even with a huge joint UN backed task force on trafficking, it is a large and growing business.

Next time you are in Pattaya or somewhere similar, go into a quiet bar during the day, and chat to a bar girl about how many of her family members work in the industry, and how they got to be there. You may be surprised and even alarmed by the scale of it all.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes me absolutely sick to read this. Almost 60 missing after online chats. Dear God. Have to agree with canuckamuck and brahmburgers. As said, stay away from Bangkok and Pattaya. ESPECIALLY Pattaya. My wife had never been to Pattaya before and asked if we could go to visit. I told her NO. She didn't understand until I explained why. Quite naive. After I explained she understood and agreed.

So why wouldn't you take your wife to Pattaya? I'm taking my wife and 2 young children next month (to Pattaya) to arguably the best family hotel in Thailand and very much looking forward to it.

It makes me absolutely sick to read this. Almost 60 missing after online chats. Dear God. Have to agree with canuckamuck and brahmburgers. As said, stay away from Bangkok and Pattaya. ESPECIALLY Pattaya. My wife had never been to Pattaya before and asked if we could go to visit. I told her NO. She didn't understand until I explained why. Quite naive. After I explained she understood and agreed.

So why wouldn't you take your wife to Pattaya? I'm taking my wife and 2 young children next month (to Pattaya) to arguably the best family hotel in Thailand and very much looking forward to it.

I do hope that you have a wonderful time.

See Tim Armstrong's post for the answer to your question.

I honestly don't feel like defending what I write any more so I will sign off.

They should be paying less attention to online gambling which seems to be priority and focus there attention to more serious matters going down on the internet from thailand. This problem could also be helped by further educating the risks of meeting and trusting 'strangers' online in schools. Once thai teens get onto a computer in cafes etc its like xmas for them because more then likely they are denied access in a school where computer skills and knowledge is often non existant. As far as scams are involved its fairly simple block all africa from accessing a website and the problem will be improved.:)

Not only Thai girls disappear (not all) but they face internet and chat scam!

I've witnessed 2 Thai friends girls who in different times were affected by chatting scam, it was always the same idiot guy from England (an immigrant by his poor English language skill) whom tried to send gifts to them later it was understood it was a scam.

The moron is very skilled, after he gains enough trust he will offer to send very "expensive" gifts, I'm talking about a value of $5,000 and up depending on what is the target's financial capability.

The delivery always goes through some countries and suspiciously a delivery company based in north Africa sustains the dirty game!

Obviously the target is to steal money: suddenly the box results awaiting somewhere in North Africa or Singapore because of "unspecified" problems so the re-delivering and handling company cannot send it to the recipient unless the girl (the recipient) cash the amount of money then the sweet "lover" (the scammer) will give the money back when he the following week or month will go to Thailand to meet her honey.

It seems that Thai girls have no chance to report the scam because it's too much complicated or because ashamed and suffering for the loss of their money.

I still have copy of the delivering document which shows details of the scammer, delivery routes and handling and re-delivering company.

I will post it on request.

This is a very common scam! I was hit by one the same as this and immediately reported it to the police (there is an entire website for the sole purpose of this in England) - if you Google it (the scam) you'll find it actually comes out of Nigeria. BUT - I'm both English and educated and the utterly moronic standard of the writing was enough for it to be instantly farcically unbelievable. A Thai person reading something similar just wouldn't realise ...

R

That's a very common scam used by Africans..It's mentioned in a very funny true story on the scam warning site..The English guy actually ends up getting the african scammer to send him money !I'll dig that one up ..but don't you think that this new wanky word'social networking' really is quite the opposite?These younger kids really don't interact at all other than in front of a computer screen or their blackberry,hence they take everything for gosple that's served up to them from a very early age.Unreported abuse or not reported till adolesence seems most common in positions of trust (e.g. school teacher,cub leader and of course priest....We won't go there,as it's taken 100 years or so for them to amit it happened!

I've witnessed 2 Thai friends girls who in different times were affected by chatting scam, it was always the same idiot guy from England (an immigrant by his poor English language skill) whom tried to send gifts to them later it was understood it was a scam.

The moron is very skilled, after he gains enough trust he will offer to send very "expensive" gifts, I'm talking about a value of $5,000 and up depending on what is the target's financial capability.

The delivery always goes through some countries and suspiciously a delivery company based in north Africa sustains the dirty game!

Obviously the target is to steal money: suddenly the box results awaiting somewhere in North Africa or Singapore because of "unspecified" problems so the re-delivering and handling company cannot send it to the recipient unless the girl (the recipient) cash the amount of money then the sweet "lover" (the scammer) will give the money back when he the following week or month will go to Thailand to meet her honey.

It seems that Thai girls have no chance to report the scam because it's too much complicated or because ashamed and suffering for the loss of their money.

I still have copy of the delivering document which shows details of the scammer, delivery routes and handling and re-delivering company.

Off topic but have a laugh at this, getting a scammer to re-write an entire Harry Potter Book.

LOL, Yup, one of those missing internet chat girls is my bride, I'm not giving her back either. going to keep her :-) Remember ICQ

Brilliant statement. I hope it was sarcastic. My daughter was one of those statistics last year. This subject, no matter what you think of Thailand, is not a joking or laughing matter. This happens everywhere in the world. Young people and people that don't know the internet should be taught the dangers. This does not fall under the Som Nom Nah. These people are victims. I agree the numbers are low and people in power are not always the right people to contact for help. But this is true the world over.

You 'explained' what exactly? Are you both able to converse in the same language, either English or Thai. I'm guessing she speaks pidgin the same as you, only you talk faster and LOUDER and you think she understands. Hell, she only wanted to go visit some old chums.

Some of you guys on here make me laugh LOL!

LOL, Yup, one of those missing internet chat girls is my bride, I'm not giving her back either. going to keep her :-) Remember ICQ

Brilliant statement. I hope it was sarcastic. My daughter was one of those statistics last year. This subject, no matter what you think of Thailand, is not a joking or laughing matter. This happens everywhere in the world. Young people and people that don't know the internet should be taught the dangers. This does not fall under the Som Nom Nah. These people are victims. I agree the numbers are low and people in power are not always the right people to contact for help. But this is true the world over.

Ahhh, wish I had 100 baht for every time I read that tired old cliche 'happens everywhere in the world'. Yes, BUT not to the extent it happens here.

Yes, this must be very common as my girlfriend from Chiang Mai about two years ago (when we had not yet met) told me of this stranger that she chatted with once who had "sent" her gold jewelry as a gift from Singapore, but it was being "held up" due to some fee that only she could pay so it would be released. To me it was incredulous that she actually believed that it was true, but she did and it took some convincing and eventually a "go and send your baht by Western Union," and you will see that there is no "free lunch." She wised up and did not send the requested 1500 baht.

There is an interesting website but I cannot remember its name where people identify these sort of scams and then "scam the scammer," it's fun to read and they have been so successful that one actually sometimes feels bad for the scammers. They had one scammer driving in a rented vehicle for several days "chasing" a payment that really was not there.

Fact of the matter, there is no "free lunch."

As far as the 50 missing after chats it's very hard to tell who has actually run off with a benign lover, and which may have run into trouble and I agree with the poster that advises parents to wake up and take a real interest in what their kids are doing.

As for victims of childhood sexual abuse who are now adults, or those connected with them I have always recommended the excellent book: Courage to Heal, though I doubt it has been translated to Thai.

I always read these articles with a little bit of a jaundiced eye.  NGO's are not immune from using statistics to assist them in getting funds.  In the case of the on-line chat, the first thing is to determine if there was a direct link between them going missing and chatting on-line.  I am not trying to minimize the seriousness, but the idea of meeting a stranger anywhere, anytime needs to be stressed.  

Right on brother

What depths will they not plumb.

Yes, this must be very common as my girlfriend from Chiang Mai about two years ago (when we had not yet met) told me of this stranger that she chatted with once who had "sent" her gold jewelry as a gift from Singapore, but it was being "held up" due to some fee that only she could pay so it would be released. To me it was incredulous that she actually believed that it was true, but she did and it took some convincing and eventually a "go and send your baht by Western Union," and you will see that there is no "free lunch." She wised up and did not send the requested 1500 baht.

There is an interesting website but I cannot remember its name where people identify these sort of scams and then "scam the scammer," it's fun to read and they have been so successful that one actually sometimes feels bad for the scammers. They had one scammer driving in a rented vehicle for several days "chasing" a payment that really was not there.

Exactly the same scam!

It took me several days on chatting to make my friends (in 2 separate occasions) desist & forget about what seemed to be the dream they were looking for.

Believe me it wasn't easy for them to realise the cheat but finally they understood.

I'm glad that the scammers have their hard time at least this is the proof of that said that anything you do it'll return back.

PS: hope this chit chat is pertinent to this thread as I believe that the girls were scammed first and then they disappeared.

Credo,

The reason that NGOs exist in this area in Thailand is that despite numerous affiliations to international agreements, Thai governments, and neighbouring countries, have been unable to stop the massive flow of women and young girls into prostitution. Even with a huge joint UN backed task force on trafficking, it is a large and growing business.

Next time you are in Pattaya or somewhere similar, go into a quiet bar during the day, and chat to a bar girl about how many of her family members work in the industry, and how they got to be there. You may be surprised and even alarmed by the scale of it all.

I've worked for NGO's for a number of years, so I have a little bit of understanding about how these things go.  Again, I don't want to minimize the problem, because it is a problem. 

I just can't see where they have made a direct link between chatting on-line and disappearing.  This sounds more like computers are evil, chat rooms are evil, kids shouldn't do it , type of thinking.  And the assumption from the disappearance is what?  They have been killed, sold into prostitution?  

In England and the UK the opposite applies , because there are many papers and local News programs every thing gets reported. In Thailand people tend not to speak they keep it to themselves, many people go missing because they want to , The same in many Country's.Even when a missing person is found in the UK , and that person does not want to be found the police cannot do anything about it.

Heresay heresay heresay

Considering they jail more people than most coutries someone seems to be doing their job.

Polulation of England 51 million criminals in jail = 82,00

Population of Thailand 61 Million criiminals in jail 200,000

Usa 307 Million criminals in jail 828,000

Quite simply there's a higher percentage of criminals jailed in Thailand than in most other coutries in the world plus Bangkok is regarded as one of the safest cities in the world.

You really should study the ww crime rate before slaggin the Thai police off. Sure there's corruption like there is in all countries but Ill bet like me you can't read Thai and really haven't a clue what is going or who was arrested in the last week. Most of us know local rags and little else.

You know what they say about newspapers. Half of it is untrue and the other half is made up B)

Thailands recorded crime rate is no where near as bad as most coutries, although they are 11th in the world for murder.

On things like assaults muggings robberies, burglary etc they come no where near the USA or the UK.

I have no idea how many crimes here are not reported here as I don't live in Buriram Yasothon Chag Mai Surin etc etc and the news seldom gets to Bkk in English.

What I do know is BKK is one of the safest cities in the world and that takes good policing.

One things for sure there are 200,000 people in jail who would disagree about that Thai police not doing their job.

So did mine they think it is a nice beach resort it is a sewer at best. Mine agreed too not to go and was shocked.

my wife nagged me to take her to pattaya.we spent 1 night there and left the next day,she was not impressed!

Thailands recorded crime rate is no where near as bad as most coutries, although they are 11th in the world for murder.

One things for sure there are 200,000 people in jail who would disagree about that Thai police not doing their job.

I do totally agree that Thailand has the lowest rate of murders etc. etc. if compared with other more developed countries, but you should link your numbers because people could wonder where did you get that fact.

By the way, Thailand is for sure the most kind country in the world :)

Wow, I didn't know the country was so poor that 200,000 people couldn't raise enough funds for the bribe to get out of gaol. :D

7 years before reporting the teacher?!?!?!

Believable. Often victims are afraid to come forward.

... and then they just transferred him - let me have the new schools address please - I have certain abilities to ease this type of problem within the realms of law enforcement without the corruption involved. Contact me through messages. We can make sure he is brought to justice.

Crime is heavily under reported in Thailand due to the fact that the police are either incompetent, involved, or likely to take advantage of the situation. I expect the real numbers are much higher. Can't comment on the missing people stuff as they don't say for how long or what efforts were made to find them. But we know stalkers do use the internet to find victims so no reason to doubt it happens here too.

In Western countries one finds a bigger trust in the police and police working the chat rooms to catch these perverts.

Yes, in countries which have "rule of law" and a functioning police force. TIT however = Land of Scams and Lack of Sanctions.

Oh well, perhaps Thailand can not function without corruption.

Your affirmation seems just thrown there at that moment.

Do you really believe that your wife agreed with your "opinion"??

What can you tell me about not farang and normal people doing a normal life in Pattaya and Bangkok??

You have the right to avoid those places but please do just by your own!

To both posters who were offended by my post about Pattaya. It is not and was not my intention to offend anyone who lives in Pattaya. I do not order my wife as a slave. She wanted me to take her to Pattaya. I said I did not want to go there. My reason? In years past I have been there before. I was very saddened by what I saw there. I decided I never wanted to go again. This is not an insult to those who live there, it is a personal preference. When I explained to my wife why I did not want to go there she understood.

No offense intended, nothing personal toward those who live there, but not somewhere I want to go again. If my wife wanted to go, she can go. Just without me.

Why apologize for stating a fact? Pattaya is a cesspool, the beaches are not clean and depending on where you are, it might not be safe. All Factual statements!

That being said, I enjoy going there with my family, they actually prefered Pattaya over Koh Chang, something about the variety of beach vendors. There is nothing like sitting on Jomtien Beach drinking Beer Leo :rolleyes: , not the same as being at home..... :(

On things like assaults muggings robberies, burglary etc they come no where near the USA or the UK.

I have no idea how many crimes here are not reported here as I don't live in Buriram Yasothon Chag Mai Surin etc etc and the news seldom gets to Bkk in English.

What I do know is BKK is one of the safest cities in the world and that takes good policing.

Yeap, that's very true. I feel FAR safer in Bangkok than any large city in the US. I can walk around anywhere in the entire city alone, day or night, drunk or sober, and not worry at all, back home there are huge areas that are no go areas, especially at night. There is not even a remote equivalent in Thailand. I feel extraordinarily safe in Thailand, in fact the only time I feel unsafe is around drunk foreigners looking for fights.

As for 50 girls going missing after talking online...this happens ALL THE TIME in the US. Chicks are always running off with dudes they meet online without telling their parents. Guys do it too though it doesn't make the news.

2 years ago I had a very naive Thai woman who phoned me in tears because she was sent a " gift " by a male chat friend ( she did not ask for anything ) but it was reportedly held up by Singapore customs who were demanding payment for it's release. She told me she was afraid she would be arrested if she did not pay " Singapore Customs "

After a lot of tears and me sending her examples of many other scams She finally believed me and on my advice blocked her chat friend and ignored the fake Customs demand Of course she never heard from anyone again.

I also had another experience with a group of greedy Female Thai teachers who got involved as the victims of a classic Nigerian scam, They were already spending the millions in their minds they were going to be given by their Nigerian business partner.

I managed to get many example case files of these scams from a website that stated it was the FBI in the USA .

This group of teachers instead of thanking me for stopping them losing all their money actually resented me for " bursting their bubble " Thais are so obsessed with money and they think a farang will just give them millions of Baht for a minimal investment

This is why SCAMS are so prevalent here The scammers KNOW Thais are greedy and easy victims

This is why SCAMS are so prevalent here The scammers KNOW Thais are greedy and easy victims

You have met the wrong people, why do you insult all Thai people?

Scam happens all around the world, if your busy brain bothered to read international news, you would realise that there are countries around the world with many more and serious problems than Thailand.

Sounds more like a Nigerian 419 Scam to me?

And why not report him to the Authorities,if you know the Scammers name?

Edited by MAJIC

You 'explained' what exactly? Are you both able to converse in the same language, either English or Thai. I'm guessing she speaks pidgin the same as you, only you talk faster and LOUDER and you think she understands. Hell, she only wanted to go visit some old chums.

Some of you guys on here make me laugh LOL!

Laugh all you want. It's good for the soul. Just for the record, she speaks, reads, and writes English better than most farang who use it as a native language. I can speak conversational Thai, although I cannot read or write Thai as of yet.

Your veiled insult is quite obvious, and also pathetic.

Edited by Gandalf8353

hmmm... you fear she'd go missing in Pattaya? :o

hmmm... you fear she'd go missing in Pattaya? :o

Several here understand the reasoning. No, I don't fear she would go missing. There are several places in my home country I wouldn't want to take her for many of the same reasons. It's hard to go to Pattaya without being exposed to the reason Pattaya is famous outside of Thailand. Just like I would not take her to Atlantic City or Sunset Boulevard in the States.

Heresay heresay heresay

Considering they jail more people than most coutries someone seems to be doing their job.

Quite simply there's a higher percentage of criminals jailed in Thailand than in most other coutries in the world plus Bangkok is regarded as one of the safest cities in the world.

You really should study the ww crime rate before slaggin the Thai police off. Sure there's corruption like there is in all countries but Ill bet like me you can't read Thai and really haven't a clue what is going or who was arrested in the last week. Most of us know local rags and little else.

You know what they say about newspapers. Half of it is untrue and the other half is made up B)

Do you have a source for your stats as the following suggest differently:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/law/research/icps/downloads/wppl-8th_41.pdf

the US is at 756 per 100k against 257 per 100k for Thailand