Over 50 Thai Girls Went Missing After Online Chats With Strangers

webfact

Crime is heavily under reported in Thailand due to the fact that the police are either incompetent, involved, or likely to take advantage of the situation. I expect the real numbers are much higher. Can't comment on the missing people stuff as they don't say for how long or what efforts were made to find them. But we know stalkers do use the internet to find victims so no reason to doubt it happens here too.

In Western countries one finds a bigger trust in the police and police working the chat rooms to catch these perverts.

Riiiiiiigghhht....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laugh all you want. It's good for the soul. Just for the record, she speaks, reads, and writes English better than most farang who use it as a native language.

Right, right. You've met most of the 'farang' here then have you? In order to judge their level of English, I mean.

And don't tell me, she's a Thai-Chinese Chula grad.

I think the fact that you come across as a sanctimonious git in your posts doesn't really help.

Sounds more like a Nigerian 419 Scam to me?

And why not report him to the Authorities,if you know the Scammers name?

I don't live in Thailand, what can you suggest to do?

The scammer seems to live in UK, he got contacts in north Africa plus Singapore too.

Don't you think that I wanted the scumbag locked in a prison?

I'm not the the Interpol mate.

It makes me absolutely sick to read this. Almost 60 missing after online chats. Dear God. Have to agree with canuckamuck and brahmburgers. As said, stay away from Bangkok and Pattaya. ESPECIALLY Pattaya. My wife had never been to Pattaya before and asked if we could go to visit. I told her NO. She didn't understand until I explained why. Quite naive. After I explained she understood and agreed.

So did mine they think it is a nice beach resort it is a sewer at best. Mine agreed too not to go and was shocked.

How fortunate that both of you had thorough experience of the place and could clearly explain to your wives why it would be a bad idea to go there. :whistling:

Yer that's the site 419eater.com ...'The scamming site that scams scammers'...The wood carving one had me wetting myself...How funny's that?

That's a very common scam used by Africans..It's mentioned in a very funny true story on the scam warning site..The English guy actually ends up getting the african scammer to send him money !I'll dig that one up ..but don't you think that this new wanky word'social networking' really is quite the opposite?These younger kids really don't interact at all other than in front of a computer screen or their blackberry,hence they take everything for gosple that's served up to them from a very early age.Unreported abuse or not reported till adolesence seems most common in positions of trust (e.g. school teacher,cub leader and of course priest....We won't go there,as it's taken 100 years or so for them to amit it happened!

Not only Thai girls disappear (not all) but they face internet and chat scam!

I've witnessed 2 Thai friends girls who in different times were affected by chatting scam, it was always the same idiot guy from England (an immigrant by his poor English language skill) whom tried to send gifts to them later it was understood it was a scam.

The moron is very skilled, after he gains enough trust he will offer to send very "expensive" gifts, I'm talking about a value of $5,000 and up depending on what is the target's financial capability.

The delivery always goes through some countries and suspiciously a delivery company based in north Africa sustains the dirty game!

Obviously the target is to steal money: suddenly the box results awaiting somewhere in North Africa or Singapore because of "unspecified" problems so the re-delivering and handling company cannot send it to the recipient unless the girl (the recipient) cash the amount of money then the sweet "lover" (the scammer) will give the money back when he the following week or month will go to Thailand to meet her honey.

It seems that Thai girls have no chance to report the scam because it's too much complicated or because ashamed and suffering for the loss of their money.

I still have copy of the delivering document which shows details of the scammer, delivery routes and handling and re-delivering company.

I will post it on request.

Off topic but have a laugh at this, getting a scammer to re-write an entire Harry Potter Book.

I laugh at all these posters, preaching about the evils of Bangkok / Pattaya, how they won't let their wife go or how their wife was not impressed by Pattaya. I'll bet a few actually met their wives in Pattaya :)

Maybe if u stayed in nice places such as Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort, Sheraton or Royal Cliff you could enjoy a lovely family holiday. But hey, it would need a good rice crop to cover that!

Sad. What can be said? Just because a girl goes missing, doesn't necessarily mean she's in dire trouble or dead.

More than a few young women I know, Thai and hill tribe, go off to touristy Thai cities. Happens often. They just pack a bread loaf-sized bag, with no prior mention to me (as a friend) and maybe not even telling their parents. More often than not, I get a phone call a week or so later saying something like 'Hey, I'm in Pattaya/Bangkok/Chiang Mai (fill in the blanks) ....come visit me, kittung' (p.s. I don't visit, as I stay away from those places)

I don't mean to treat the OP lightly, as there are some v. serious items there, but some of the disappearances may be more a matter of mis-communication than serious trouble - or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Either way, the OP is a wake-up call for parents - particular those with teenage daughters. Here's some unsolicited advice: Listen to them, read to them, discuss philosophy, take them to outdoor places away from town and away from the mall, have fun with your kids, don't be hypocritical, don't be judgmental, discuss sex and lust and what results of not using condoms, do a creative project together, do some sporty things together, have some fun.

Very wise consideration. Congratulation, I respect this advice truly... That's what is should be! ;););)

Crime is heavily under reported in Thailand due to the fact that the police are either incompetent, involved, or likely to take advantage of the situation. I expect the real numbers are much higher. Can't comment on the missing people stuff as they don't say for how long or what efforts were made to find them. But we know stalkers do use the internet to find victims so no reason to doubt it happens here too.

Wisdom... dead on.

Any one know what the murder rate is in Thailand? It is rumoured to be the highest in South-east Asia. Does the govt. publish such figures?

It makes me absolutely sick to read this. Almost 60 missing after online chats. Dear God. Have to agree with canuckamuck and brahmburgers. As said, stay away from Bangkok and Pattaya. ESPECIALLY Pattaya. My wife had never been to Pattaya before and asked if we could go to visit. I told her NO. She didn't understand until I explained why. Quite naive. After I explained she understood and agreed.

You seem to be an understanding and loving husband.

And you seem to be the boss at home. You almost make me laugh.

But what did you explain your wife about Pattaya.

I like to know because I am living in Pattaya for 26 years.

And maybe you can tell me something I did not yet know.

Edited by elektrified

Laugh all you want. It's good for the soul. Just for the record, she speaks, reads, and writes English better than most farang who use it as a native language.

Right, right. You've met most of the 'farang' here then have you? In order to judge their level of English, I mean.

And don't tell me, she's a Thai-Chinese Chula grad.

I think the fact that you come across as a sanctimonious git in your posts doesn't really help.

No, not a Thai-Chinese Chula grad. Never made that claim. But, the fact remains that she speaks reads and writes better than many regular folks in the US that I have met over the years. Especially those who have gone through the US education system in the past twenty years. No, I never claimed to know every farang in Thailand. I am sure that there are many much more educated than either I or my wife. My comment was a general statement that I have found to be true, and in answer to another post which insinuated that we can only communicate in "pidgin". Not every couple fits the "stereotype".

I was near Pattaya in Sattahip as part of a military detachment in years past. It wasn't a choice. There were times when we (myself and others) were required to be in Pattaya as part of military police duties. My comments are not a judgment of the people that live in Pattaya, or even of those that choose to vacation there. There are several nice places, but it's hard to escape street after street of clubs, most with the same purpose.

I judge no one if that is their thing, but I reserve the right to be disturbed by what I saw.

If being disturbed by desperately poor women and young girls being sexually exploited for financial gain makes me a sanctimonious git, then so be it.

I laugh at all these posters, preaching about the evils of Bangkok / Pattaya, how they won't let their wife go or how their wife was not impressed by Pattaya. I'll bet a few actually met their wives in Pattaya :)

Lol good spot :lol:

Maybe the men met the women there 555+

I have only been there twice and reckon its a 'sleeze pit' if i took my dog there, he would bite me ! :)

You realize this is just one foundation!

There are many foundations and government agencies, and police who deal with reports.

Not everyone knows to call this one number..

I believe the number is far, far higher than this.... incredibly sad and sick the way police and authorities cover things up.

At my old school (technical college on Sukumvit) a girl was gang raped and videoed. The video was circulated around the school and when it was discovered by teachers it was covered up and the girl moved to another school.

One of many many events daily in Thailand

I have only been there twice and reckon its a 'sleeze pit' if i took my dog there, he would bite me ! :)

:clap2:

Sad. What can be said? Just because a girl goes missing, doesn't necessarily mean she's in dire trouble or dead.

More than a few young women I know, Thai and hill tribe, go off to touristy Thai cities. Happens often. They just pack a bread loaf-sized bag, with no prior mention to me (as a friend) and maybe not even telling their parents. More often than not, I get a phone call a week or so later saying something like 'Hey, I'm in Pattaya/Bangkok/Chiang Mai (fill in the blanks) ....come visit me, kittung' (p.s. I don't visit, as I stay away from those places)

I don't mean to treat the OP lightly, as there are some v. serious items there, but some of the disappearances may be more a matter of mis-communication than serious trouble - or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Either way, the OP is a wake-up call for parents - particular those with teenage daughters. Here's some unsolicited advice: Listen to them, read to them, discuss philosophy, take them to outdoor places away from town and away from the mall, have fun with your kids, don't be hypocritical, don't be judgmental, discuss sex and lust and what results of not using condoms, do a creative project together, do some sporty things together, have some fun.

So everything's ok then? Any missing kids will apparently be in touch with YOU shortly, to tell YOU how they missed YOU and that YOU should come and visit them... er, WHAT??? 'Parents have obviously just not been close enough to their kid, too judgemental etc and.. blah blah blah...' ( A TOTALLY DIFFERENT ISSUE!!!).. missing kids are missing kids.. lets find them, not use a forum like this to waffle about ourselves like we personally are some saint and saviour of all children!!!!

Edited by spectrumisgreen

I think that is a thai myth. Who goes to Pattaya seeking a wife.

Just the opposite, I took my Wife and step kids to Pattaya so they could see for themselves. One trip down Walking Street was an Instant education for everyone. We went for dinner - there are some excellent restaurants in Pattaya. However, my wife refuses to return, even for a good foreign meal...LOL

Side note - after my wife heard some of our friends talking about a nudie bar - and not believing Thai Women would dance naked - a mixed group of Thais and Falangs had to go see for ourselves. The kids stayed home to swim...

The Thai women in the group spent quite a while talking about what they saw...LOL

Just the opposite, I took my Wife and step kids to Pattaya so they could see for themselves. One trip down Walking Street was an Instant education for everyone. We went for dinner - there are some excellent restaurants in Pattaya. However, my wife refuses to return, even for a good foreign meal...LOL

Side note - after my wife heard some of our friends talking about a nudie bar - and not believing Thai Women would dance naked - a mixed group of Thais and Falangs had to go see for ourselves. The kids stayed home to swim...

The Thai women in the group spent quite a while talking about what they saw...LOL

I'll bet they DID talk quite a bit.

Does always seem to be a lot said about Pattaya, which even if you'd NEVER been there or knew anything about the place would likely put you off! I guess it's the old 'No smoke without fire' thing. This said I've been that way a few times in my nearly 4 years in Thailand, had no problems myself, though I have stayed away from the places I've been 'warned off' from, just as I would in ANY town or city, anywhere in the world!! I also have friends who live or regularly visit there, and I'm not about to start judging my mates. End of the day its each to their own isn't it? You watch your back wherever you are and be aware that bad **** can and will happen if people aren't careful and don't use a bit of common sense, regardless of whether you're in Pattaya, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, New York, London or even the little seaside place I grew up in, in England!!!

:wai:

There are young girls who have your tel.number and they call you and say: Kit tung.

Well is there something you have not tell us yet???????????? I would advise the young Thai girls to stay away from you as long as you have not answered the question.

Ferryb,

Go back and read Brahm's statements again. He stated young 'women'...not young 'girls'. And they are friends of his. Who are you? Brahms has been a member here for a long time. It seems you cannot think logically and rationally.

:blink:

Edited by MUYTHAI

So everything's ok then? Any missing kids will apparently be in touch with YOU shortly, to tell YOU how they missed YOU and that YOU should come and visit them... er, WHAT??? 'Parents have obviously just not been close enough to their kid, too judgemental etc and.. blah blah blah...' ( A TOTALLY DIFFERENT ISSUE!!!).. missing kids are missing kids.. lets find them, not use a forum like this to waffle about ourselves like we personally are some saint and saviour of all children!!!!

He is relaying some of his observations and experiences. Some women just leave home without telling anyone where thay are going. It happens. :blink: :blink: :blink::wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Edited by MUYTHAI

'Hey, I'm in Pattaya/Bangkok/Chiang Mai (fill in the blanks) ....come visit me, kittung' (p.s. I don't visit, as I stay away from those places)

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yes Chiang Mai is such a bastion of filth and sin. What a good upstanding Farang you are for avoiding it - and Bangkok too!

Just want to add scam that a friend faced recently after chatting with a man online. He said he would be coming to "visit" and gave her the arrival date in BKK. That day he phoned her and said he needed her help to talk to the Thai "policewoman". She was told the man had so much cash, gold and jewlery that they couldn't let him in the country unless he paid the duty in Thai baht. Foolishly, she transferred baht 60K to an account and, of course, you know the rest of the story. Sadly, blinded by her own greed.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds more like a Nigerian 419 Scam to me?

And why not report him to the Authorities,if you know the Scammers name?

I don't live in Thailand, what can you suggest to do?

The scammer seems to live in UK, he got contacts in north Africa plus Singapore too.

Don't you think that I wanted the scumbag locked in a prison?

I'm not the the Interpol mate.

Of course you are not Interpol,but that does not stop you from reporting him though.

Try getting advice on how to go about this,maybe start with the British Police,Citizens Advice.