Bringing Your Stuff Into Thailand

I believe there is some concession for bringing your household stuff into Thailand. What are the conditions and methods/paperwork, etc? I would like to bring in my desktop computer screen for example, it's a well used wide flatscreen monitor. Will they hit me for import duty/fees/whatever? I'd only bring in what airlines allow as hold baggage. ;)

On what basis would you be importing? Believe a job and work permit allows import within six months but most people end up paying customs duties in some form or another.

all imformation is on the thai customs web site in english. straight forward but allow for tea money.(30000) about

You need to be on an extension of stay based on working to import free, and have 1 year from date of entry into Thailand to actually import one freight by air and one by boat of used household goods. (Used is older than 6 months).

I'm not sure about a screen, but a laptop you normally just bring in without questions asked and you only will bring in a minimum amount to to stay under 20KG. You could either risk it or just buy a new one. Flat screen monitors aren't expensive.

Based upon my experience including bringing in a 100-pound musical instrument (vibraphone), as long as your belongings fit on one luggage cart and do not include restricted items such as cigarettes or liquor, even if you pay airline excess baggage charges, the customs officers at BKK will just wave you through the green channel ... other than restricted items they mainly look for re-sale items.

I recentley brought, as checked baggage, my desktop PC, flatscreen monitor and a rather heavy multi-functional printer, total weight about 20kg's, and didn't give a moments thought to the possibility of customs duty as they were used, personal possesions and not intended for sale. The printer was actually bought in Thailand, was being re-imported, and I had the original receipt stapled inside the instruction manual should I have been asked.

It was about 0800, breakfast time, and there wasn't a customs officer to be seen at the green channel.

Thanks to everyone for the information. I'll risk it and report later. All me stuff is very obviously used, and I bought most second hand so no receipts, but that did not stop the customs in Peru from charging me duty - :( - hence my question for when I bring it here. I use an eeepc netbook, but the big screen is for a longer stay situation. ;)