Another Where To Buy Question

afx

Anyone know where to buy a decent pair of squash trainers, not the obligatory hi-tec sqaush that UK department stores sell, but proper squash court squash shoes; Prince, Asics, Addidas Stabil etc. A sports shop selling racquets would be good too. I haven't looked in anger but definitely haven't seen anything in Jungceylon or Central.

cheers

Super Sport in Central definitely sells racquets ( not cheap though for a good one) as I've picked up a few there over the years. I've also bought shoes there that looked just like my friends 5000 baht squash shoes, but only cost around 1800 baht. These were for lightweight court shoes with very good traction. YMMV.

Fancy a hit afx, the Hiltion has good courts.

Super Sport in Central definitely sells racquets ( not cheap though for a good one) as I've picked up a few there over the years. I've also bought shoes there that looked just like my friends 5000 baht squash shoes, but only cost around 1800 baht. These were for lightweight court shoes with very good traction. YMMV.

hilton hotel has squash courts??? how much to train there and do they rent racquets?

hilton hotel has squash courts??? how much to train there and do they rent racquets?

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but if the Hilton has squash courts does it also have badminton courts too or does anyone know of a badminton court on the Island?

Thanks, I'll have a look in Central. I'd love a hit but need to have a bash around the court myself first to see if my back is up for it or not. I had a lumbar spinal fusion 11 months ago (caused by squash injury 5 years ago). I should probably leave it alone but miss the game and find gym, cardio and swimming etc very tedious. It could well be, buy the squash trainers, use them once for squash the rest of the time for going for walks etc. If my back holds up to it I'll shoot you a PM and arrange a game.

So is the Hilton still the best place for a hit ? Any other decent options ? I'm no longer a member at the Hilton. I was for one year, but a week after renewing my membership for another 6 months the second time they closed the main pool for building work. The main pool was the only reason I joined.

I thought I'd give an update on this thread, as I don't want anyone to waste half a day trying to find something that doesn't exist.

There isn't one pair of squash shoes in the that huge sports shop in Central which has hundreds of pairs of sport shoes / casual shoes. The staff don't know what squash is, had to pick up squash racquet and explain and get the standard "no have". Even considered gettingr badminton shoes or crosstraining shoes, but no luck there; none my size. There was one pair of Addidas generic court shoes but they only had one pair and the size 11 must have been a Thai size 11 as they were far too narrow, yet Addidas in my experience are generally a bigger trainer than most other brands. On the plus side there are some nice discounted Dunlop aerogel (pro racquets) which work out cheaper than in the UK.

Also there are no squash shoes at all in factory outlet near bypass road.

Seems to be a conspiracy, the last 10 consumer times I've wanted to buy not only don't exist in Phuket, they dont exist in Thailand and had to be purchased in the UK, Aus or US. Here's hoping some time soon Amazon pops up over here or Tesco / Lotus get an equivalent site up. IMO the demand (from farangs anyway) is huge I believe.

So hopefully I can buy some squash trainers in Bangkok.

>>So hopefully I can buy some squash trainers in Bangkok.

Good luck as Supersport seems to be the biggest sporting goods retail chain in TH. If they don't have what you're looking for, I don't think you're going to find them as there just isn't that big of a demand for real/proper squash shoes. Let us know how your back gets on after having a hit.

Good luck as Supersport seems to be the biggest sporting goods retail chain in TH. If they don't have what you're looking for, I don't think you're going to find them as there just isn't that big of a demand for real/proper squash shoes. Let us know how your back gets on after having a hit.

I will let you know about Bangkok, hope to have a hit there, if all well we can have bash at the Hilton. If you cannot buy squash trainers in Bangkok it means everyone has to fly out of Thailand to buy or pay international shipping plus tax only to find out they are too big or small because you haven't tried them on, lol. Fortunately I know a UK 11 in Addidas Stabil fit so don't need to worry on that front. Even if I find a pair in Bangkok I'd bet there is only a US 11 (UK 10). The sports shop in homepro had one pair of shoes in the entire shop that were a UK 11, but they were just casual shoes not for sport and looked pretty ghastly.

I'll probably end up getting a pair of badminton shoes or cross trainer shoes with non marking soles until my next trip out of Thailand or add proper squash shoes to next parcel coming from the UK.

I've got a pair of Hi-tec walking shoes which are identical to Hi-tec squash shoes I've had in the past and would be fine, however they are black soled, so that's the Hilton out. Do you know any skanky courts around where black soled shoes will only add to all the other court marks ? I can give my back a run out then before wasting money on sqaush shoes and racquet if it turns out I cannot play due to this >>> My link

Edited by afx

Only bad luck, they don't exist in Supersport in Bangkok Central. Can't even get a pair of badminton shoes or generic court shoes, max size is US 11 on 99% of shoes sold. I'll try one more place tomorrow and then forget about it and mail order from AUS. I find it odd that the same chain sells squash racquets but not one pair of squash shoes. Do Thai's really play sqaush in running shoes ? Would be funny to watch (bambi on ice).

Next to Blue Elephant in Phuket town there is a Thai brand sports company called Grand sport.

They have every shoe available from squash.tennis and even volley ball shoes.

Quality seems good if you can look past the no name local brand.

Next to Blue Elephant in Phuket town there is a Thai brand sports company called Grand sport.

They have every shoe available from squash.tennis and even volley ball shoes.

Quality seems good if you can look past the no name local brand.

Will bear that in mind in future thanks and take a look when back in Phuket.

The big problem I've found apart form zero availability of squash shoes is also sizing. It wouldn't surprise me if the max size in this shop like every other is US 11. Leaving squash shoes aside, there isn't one pair of casual footwear, eg , Converse, Puma etc or running & tennis trainers in Villa sports shop bigger than US 11. I've, seen this in supersport also both in Phuket and Bangkok. Although in factory outlet I saw one pair of US 13 (too big) Adidas court shoes. I think I might have got the last pair of Asics UK 11 squash shoes in Thailand, lol.

Taking the thread in another direction. Does anyone think there will ever be an online equivalent of Villa for consumer goods that you cannot get elsewhere? Not for food items, basically a slightly smaller scale version of Amazon, obviously it would naturally be plus 30 or 40 % which it ends up being anyway if you fly out of Thailand a few times a year to get stuff or pay the duty and international shipping.