Night Time Riding

snowflake

so, sitting on the bus last night watching out the wind a big bike blasted past us- sweet sound and my jealusy grew for the next hours- still wanted that to be me...

This happened around 0100 about 300km from bangers- bike filled with bags of stuff...

What do you think about night time riding? Safer/worse? Any extra items you prepare before you go out? (not talking about a 7eleven run)

looked fun, but jumping up and down on the bus- brain working, the speed he had was bloody fast- said that, 8 would probably go the same speed...

Well. Some will say i'm mad.. But i have found that making your bike look like a Christmas tree (lots of extra lights helps keep the dozy Thai drivers awake and they generally spot you before they run you down......

With the Cbr i would probably fit some small led lights on the front. Just inside the fairing lip.

like these....http://cgi.ebay.com/...s#ht_3183wt_902

You can get them in amber as well.

Then on the back i would put a dual led strip. with brake and back light. Normally the car stall at Big C/lotus carry these.

But thats just me. i ride a lot at night so i like to be seen.

Of the accidents i have had all but one have been down to Thai drivers not seeing me (or not looking)

If you drive a car next time look in the rear view mirror when you know there is a bike behind you.. the headlights tend to merge. So that you do not really see the bike.. that is the idea behind the extra light (especially if set for flash mode) so that you do not look like the car 30-50 metres behind you.

Edited by thaicbr

Well. Some will say i'm mad.. But i have found that making your bike look like a Christmas tree (lots of extra lights helps keep the dozy Thai drivers awake and they generally spot you before they run you down......

Also thaicbr needs the Christmas tree lights to actually hold his bike together.  :lol:

Anyway, I try to avoid riding at night. All the pissheads come out then. Most people I know who have had serious accidents were hit at night.

Also thaicbr needs the Christmas tree lights to actually hold his bike together. :lol:

Anyway, I try to avoid riding at night. All the pissheads come out then. Most people I know who have had serious accidents were hit at night.

80% of fatal accidents are between 6pm and midnight. Drunk driving is very present same hours. If possible to avoid, I do not drive/ride long distance after 5 pm. Speed feels great on bike in the dark going home 15 km from patong or Phuket town tho :D

Rustic said. 'Also thaicbr needs the Christmas tree lights to actually hold his bike together.'

Actually the Vx800 is a sturdy old girl. She pretty much holds her self together. even after a pretty impressive accident which wiped out the front end after a highside/concrete post thingy.

The rest of the bike is good. I wonder how yours would fair in a similar accident.

ps. And before ya go on about bad riding blah blah.. It was entirely my fault.It was a error of judgement that caused it. But shit can happen to anyone...Of course i hope it does not happen to anyone. Ride safe and enjoy.

But sometimes.. some of us have to ride at night.

So try and make sure that other road users can see you. And differentiate you from the cars.

The Flashing led's are one way. The other is to wear a High viz jacket or waistcoat

(like the Police use, but try and make sure yours is not sponsored by Mcdonalds :whistling: )

Because the OP was asking how to ride safely at night. Not how not to B)

safte at night is important to work on... Good suggestions out there and i think vanity is not important and a reflective vest will be bought- nice to have around just in case...

I just bought fast bikes magazine in englis at future park, they had the new zx10 as bike of the year in the new shoot out... Will read more about it in 40min when the students are in their rooms... First sleep in 2 days I hope...

Maybe i will dream about the zx10.....

I prefer not to drive at night for longer distances, especially on road that I do not know. And that goes for driving with my car or with my bike.

As I have both I do intend to use my car when I have to drive at night, but I will prepare my bike for driving at night. Like side-reflectors and extra lights. Just in case I am forced to drive in the dark. In my bike and car is also always a "high viz" jacket in case that ....

When sometimes driving 15km home at night (early morning) from Pattaya (with my car) and I see all the bloody suicide people driving I feel very comfortable with the safty zone of my car. I hate to think that I would drive a bike then.

Chang Noi

Im not into driving at night outside of town as I have problems with getting dazzled by oncoming traffic, but in town or on lighted roads, no problems and I havent noticed anyone being any worse at driving than during daytime.

I avoid riding at night, but if I am going on a long trip I like to set off at around 04:00 and it always seems to be a fairly calm time, I suppose most of the drunks have already made it home.

If I am going somewhere on a weekend like a park, I like to do this also. Get there before the traffic gets on the road.

But sometimes.. some of us have to ride at night.

So try and make sure that other road users can see you. And differentiate you from the cars.

The Flashing led's are one way. The other is to wear a High viz jacket or waistcoat

(like the Police use, but try and make sure yours is not sponsored by Mcdonalds :whistling: )

Because the OP was asking how to ride safely at night. Not how not to B)

+1 a must in cities but yeah be more observant at night plenty of people on the road out there with no lights.

The flashing led's maybe blue ones.:rolleyes:

Maybe you can get them here in Thailand ??? piece of mind carrying one of puncture repair can things that get you going, I brought one over from UK out of Halfords.

"The flashing led's maybe blue ones"

Na blue are no good. The colour blue has a very narrow spectrum. so you have to be fairly close to see them. White or amber are my choice. On my old bike i had some amber fog lights mounted with a switch on the handlebar.. so when overtaking i would switch those babies on and watch the cagers wake up :D:D.

Also coming up to u-turns do the same, while slowing and keeping and eye on the silly buggers B)

Put me in the "Avoid night time long distance trips."

Thaicbr probably has the right idea, in that, if they see you they *might* avoid you... :)

Anyway, good luck :)