Best Buffet Food Chiang Mai?

kevbap

Hello all

Can anyone point me in the rough direction of some very good buffet restaurants here in CM? when i say good, i mean good, price and good quality, i know they dont go hand in hand but please any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Any type of food also, Thai, Western, Italian, etc

Many thanks Kevin

There are reports that the Holiday Inn has raised its price to 695 which would make it a rare treat for many of us.

I much prefer the Amari Rincome for 350 (the last time that I looked). They have plenty of good quality Western and Thai food with good deserts, but do not have as many of the high ticket items - smoked salmon, lobster and such - as the Holiday Inn.

If you want something cheaper, the Grandview Hotel is decent, for 150 baht, but - unlike the Amari Rincome and Holiday Inn - they tend to not change the dishes a lot from day to day.

Edited by Ulysses G.

There are reports that the Holiday Inn has raised its price to 695 which would make it a rare treat for many of us.

I much prefer the Amari Rincome for 350 (the last time that I looked). They have plenty of good quality Western and Thai food with good deserts, but do not have as many of the high ticket items - smoked salmon, lobster and such - as the Holiday Inn.

Thanks a lot Ulysses G, now smoked salmon and lobster, ummmmm thats gotten the old taste buds going!

certainly be trawling the internet looking at that, and of course saving the pennies!

We've done this topic before, but it's probably time for an update since buffets come & go and prices change.

My favorite is still the weekday lunch buffet at the Grandview Hotel on the Superhighway. Excellent selection of western, Japanese and Thai food. Nice desserts. All the coffee and hot tea you can drink. Nice elegant setting. All this for about 150 baht. They raised their prices 10 baht a few months ago, but otherwise the quality and selection hasn't changed since my last posting about the Grandview.

Thanks a lot Ulysses G, now smoked salmon and lobster, ummmmm thats gotten the old taste buds going!

certainly be trawling the internet looking at that, and of course saving the pennies!

The Grandview and the Amari Rincome (my favorite), serve luncheon buffets daily. The Holiday Inn I believe is only on Sundays. My experience with the Holiday Inn is that the quality has declined while the price has increased. However, the Grandview's quality has increased with the price increasing very little. The Amari has been consistently superior, IMHO, for the 3+ years that I have been going.

Lanna Palace at 140 baht and Mae Ping at 180 deserve to be mentioned, great bargains

Unless the Lanna Palace has improved a lot in the past year, it's barely worth even 140. Very poor, and certainly not a patch on the similarly priced Grandview.

Lanna Palace at 140 baht and Mae Ping at 180 deserve to be mentioned, great bargains

Is the Mae Ping a daily buffet .

What are the hours?

Now, now - remember your diet. wink.gif

How's it going anyway?

Reached a goal. Set new one. Thanks for asking.

All I was asking is you to help me have a set back.:(

Is the Mae Ping a daily buffet .

What are the hours?

Now, now - remember your diet. wink.gif

How's it going anyway?

Reached a goal. Set new one. Thanks for asking.

All I was asking is you to help me have a set back.:(

thumbsup.gif

Put 'buffet' on your banned list of words (unless it's a veggie buffet like Khun Churn)

And where is Khun Churn located. Sounds like a good weekly treat. Have not looked into vegetarian food here but I have a sister in law who is a Vegan and whips up some mighty tasty dishes.

Is that out in between Airport Plaza and immigration?

What is the cost?

I am not a cheap charlie and I for sure are not a Simple Simon.:)

Edited by jayjay0

And where is Khun Churn located. Sounds like a good weekly treat. Have not looked into vegetarian food here but I have a sister in law who is a Vegan and whips up some mighty tasty dishes.

What is the cost?

Khun Churn is in one of the soi's off Nimanhemman (not sure the number). It's really nice, good value and has a fine reputation...about 89 Baht I think. Pun Pun behind Wat Suandok is another excellent veggie buffet that's terrific value.

You don't need to be a cheap charlie to get excellent food in Chiang Mai....give them a try. smile.gif

What is the cost?

Double post.

Edited by uptheos

Just to correct some of the minor misinformation here:

The Amari's buffet from Mon-Sat is 375 baht and the price hasn't changed for at least 4 years.

Khun Churn is on Nimmanhaemin soi 17 (or 15, or both) and has been charging 99 baht for a year.

PunPun behind Wat SuanDok has never had a buffet any of the dozen times I've been there over the last 4 years.

IMHO:

The Amari offers a great deal at that price, especially if you have one of the discount cards that brings it down to 300 baht. The quality is not as good as it was years ago but they change the dishes offered every day. It's still the best value. Again, imho.

The Holiday Inn at that price isn't worth it despite the 20% discount available to everyone. Maybe if you live in the neighborhood, but I live across town and I don't think it's worth the trip.

I've been to the Grandview, but imho, little of the western food was very good and none of the desserts. I'd rather splurge on the Amari than eat too much ordinary food at the Grandview despite the price difference.

I didn't think the Empress was worth the price but I haven't been there in a couple of years.

Just to correct some of the minor misinformation here:

The Amari's buffet from Mon-Sat is 375 baht and the price hasn't changed for at least 4 years.

Khun Churn is on Nimmanhaemin soi 17 (or 15, or both) and has been charging 99 baht for a year.

PunPun behind Wat SuanDok has never had a buffet any of the dozen times I've been there over the last 4 years.

IMHO:

The Amari offers a great deal at that price, especially if you have one of the discount cards that brings it down to 300 baht. The quality is not as good as it was years ago but they change the dishes offered every day. It's still the best value. Again, imho.

The Holiday Inn at that price isn't worth it despite the 20% discount available to everyone. Maybe if you live in the neighborhood, but I live across town and I don't think it's worth the trip.

I've been to the Grandview, but imho, little of the western food was very good and none of the desserts. I'd rather splurge on the Amari than eat too much ordinary food at the Grandview despite the price difference.

I didn't think the Empress was worth the price but I haven't been there in a couple of years.

I agree with much of what you said. The Amari is a superior choice compared to the Grandview - however, the Thai food at the Grandview is excellent according to my Thai wife. And, for the price, it's quite reasonable.

I went to the Empress not too long ago and was surprised that there were some new western dishes that were very, very good - much better than what I had experienced approximately a year ago.

The Grandview and the Amari Rincome (my favorite), serve luncheon buffets daily. The Holiday Inn I believe is only on Sundays. My experience with the Holiday Inn is that the quality has declined while the price has increased. However, the Grandview's quality has increased with the price increasing very little. The Amari has been consistently superior, IMHO, for the 3+ years that I have been going.

Sorry to say that I feel the same way about the Holiday Inn

Sorry to say that I feel the same way about the Holiday Inn

I think it's 160 or 180. Certainly not expensive. They have two major hot serving stations and a counter with a large choice. Buffet service but the waitors/ waitresses - usually in Lanna costume - serve drinks at atble if you want. iced water is free ( sorry kevin) and topped up automatically by the attentive staff. Nice surroundings

• 3 months later...

Any Dinner Buffets... I called about 3 mentioned on thread and no dinners avail.....

'Why Not' is a rather popular and great value dinner buffet option on Soi 11 off Nimmanhemin (sp?). 189 baht for 90 minutes with reasonable prices for wine. It's Italian food of varying though generally high quality complete with a grill station, pasta station, and an excellent dessert spread (tiramisu, several flavors of gelato, mini cheese cakes...). There was a thread on it recently...

Edited to add:

I have also enjoyed the Oishi Express (not ShabuShi) buffet at Airport Plaza though it isn't so much a destination as a good choice if you are already in the mall. I think it was around 425 baht per person and also timed (90 minutes).

I'm not generally a big fan of the timed buffets for dinner but they do make a good lunch option and are typically a good value.

Edited by CPT

Any Dinner Buffets... I called about 3 mentioned on thread and no dinners avail.....

'Why Not' is a rather popular and great value dinner buffet option on Soi 11 off Nimmanhemin (sp?). 189 baht for 90 minutes with reasonable prices for wine. It's Italian food of varying though generally high quality complete with a grill station, pasta station, and an excellent dessert spread (tiramisu, several flavors of gelato, mini cheese cakes...). There was a thread on it recently...

I have also enjoyed the Oishi Express (not ShabuShi) buffet at Airport Plaza though it isn't so much a destination as a good choice if you are already in the mall. I think it was around 425 baht per person and also timed (90 minutes).

I'm not generally a big fan of the timed buffets for dinner but they do make a good lunch option and are typically a good value.

Why Not charges an additional 40 baht for each 30 minutes beyond 90. Two hours for 229 baht for their dinner buffet is a much more relaxed time and still a great value.