International To Domestic

HKBKK

My friend will go to Ko Samui next month. He'll come from Europe and he will have 4 hours time at Suvarnabumi before the flight to Samui...

I'd like to meet him at the airport, can he come outside to see me before he boards the BKK-Samui flight?

I have tried to search for some info on different sites but still don't know anything...

If he's changing airlines from international to lets say bangkok air he can.I did it about A year ago no problem.

I had to get my bags go thru customs.And then A couple of hours before my bangkok air to samui I had to recheck my bags,go thru the ticket counter.Any more questions just pm me.

If he's changing airlines from international to lets say bangkok air he can.I did it about A year ago no problem.

I had to get my bags go thru customs.And then A couple of hours before my bangkok air to samui I had to recheck my bags,go thru the ticket counter.Any more questions just pm me.

Thanks very much for your reply, I spoke to a friend of mine today and he said the same thing. Hope everything's gonna be alright because I really need to talk to him in person before he goes to Samui...

I'm not new in Thailand but I only stay in Bangkok so I don't have any experience with this...

You can meet at the meeting point arrivals level, go up two levels and check your friend in to Koh Samui, then go down one level and have a coffee or meal in one of the many eateries there B)

Thanks, that's a good idea!

I've been at Suvarnabhumi airport 50-60 times since it's opened but I've never been to any restaurant or coffee shop there...

Do you need to collect you bags for a International to Domestic connection?

I'm thinking you do, and they can't be checked through like you would for a Domestic to International connection.

Its worth checking this with the international carrier as some will check the luggage straight through to Samui. Saves a lot of lugging bags around.

Make sure you have the onward flight details to hand at check in.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking you do, and they can't be checked through like you would for a Domestic to International connection.

Its worth checking this with the international carrier as some will check the luggage straight through to Samui. Saves a lot of lugging bags around.

Make sure you have the onward flight details to hand at check in.

Ditto for Chiang Mai (plus ... I believe ... Phuket & Hat Yai) , show your onward-connection ticket for TG when you check-in, and they will often (depending on whether they have an agreement with TG) be able to check your hold-luggage through to your final-destination.

You follow the Domestic-Transit signs at Swampy, passing through the small Immigration-desk there (hopefully avoiding the often-major queues at Swampy), and collect your bags & clear Customs at CNX/HKT/HDY.

It depends on the airline/s he is travelling with and the final destination.

In cases where there is no Customs and immigration at final destination will need to collect the bags in Bkk and recheck for domestic.

If he smokes he'll want to come outside anyway :blink:

Alternatively he can use one of the many smoking rooms that are within the terminal.

There's only a few smoking rooms at international terminal but NONE at domestic terminal :realangry:

Anyway, I've met my friend today at Suvarnabhumi and everything went ok. Lufthansa checked-in his bags all the way through to Samui so he came outside only with a small cabin bag.

We went immediately upstairs to departure area (after smoke, of course...) to get him his BKK-Samui boarding pass and then we've had 3 full hours to talk and eat (the food at the airport is horrible so that was my last time I ate something there...:bah: ).

Thanks everyone for the info!