Marriage Registration

Hi all, apoligies for posting this in the Visa section but couldnt find another place to post.

Does anyone know the procedure for registering a marrige to a Thai here in the kingdom as I am also looking to get a Non O once the marriage is registered.

I am currently living in Lardprao and as you can guess by my login name... I'm an Aussie.

Cheers :o

First step is a visit to your Embassy to fill out a form type letter and have it notarized (you are free to marry and of good character basically). Then translation service to make a Thai copy and then to Ministry of Foreign Affairs to have it registered as an international legal document. After you receive the stamped copy you are free to register your marriage at any district office (Latphao is on the Soi 71 extension). If you do not speak Thai you should have someone with you that does (other than the wife) as they need you to understand what you sign. Two witnesses are also required but they can often be found among the office staff and a small lunch payment might be in order. There is no direct charge.

So bills will be at Embassy - Translation service/registration.

Most embassies have full details on web site but not sure of Oz.

Edited by lopburi3

Firstly you'll need to find out what your Embassy will supply you with vis-a-vis an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry - this is what the Brit Emb give.

Get it translated into Thai by a recognised translation office and take it to The Ministry of Forign Affairs where it will be certified. All this can be done by yourself. Then you're ready.

Go with the missus to any Amphur office in Thailand and get your marriage certificates.

It's all straightforward, but check with the Aussie embassy first. I can't help you there.

I just did it in April... all the information posted is good ... Remember to take 1 translaotr / witness with you to the Amphur's office. I didnt do this and had to come back another day. Also everything has to be translated. If you are divorced you have to fill out other papers. takes about 2-3 days total including embassy visit. There are people that can do it all for you but it isnt worth the money as long as you have the time.

CONGRATS!!!!!

Best move I have ever done! Formal wedding in 8 weeks.......YAHOOO

:o

As you walk out of the Aust embassy turn right and within 20 or 30 metres there is a restaurant with a driveway next to it. Go down this driveway (its actually the driveway to a hotel) and on the right hand side is a translation service. I used this one and everything was done in less than an hour.

From there we took the taxi accross to the Dept of Immigration and that process took about 3 or 4 hours.

We live in a small town and our amphur did not require any witnesses but Im sure every one has their own rules to go by. Once in the amphur it was all over in about 15 mins. The wife had to get a new ID card in her new name, which took about 10 mins.

While at the embassy you might like to fill out a stat dec stating where your residential address in Thailand. This is handy for when you go for your thai driving licence as well as was useful for applying for the extension to the Non Imm O visa.

Good luck :o

It should be noted that the registration at the Amphur is the LEGAL MARRIAGE.

Any other ceremonies have no meaning in law at all.

The only other alternative is a legal marriage in another country.

Marriage

Marriage Registration

Regulations

A couple must be of legal age (17 years) upon filing for marriage registration, otherwise permission must be granted by a court.

Permission from the parents is required for parties under legal age.

Both parties must not be registered as married to anyone else (Multiple marriage registration is prohibited).

The parties must not be direct blood relatives nor be sister or brother through either parent.

Adopting parents shall not be permitted to marry their own adopted child.

A widow or divorcee will be permitted to remarry not less than 310 days after the previous marriage has expired, unless

Has given birth to a child.

Remarrying the same person.

Not pregnant, as certified by doctor. (in case of early remarriage)

Approval to remarry from a court is obtained.

No service fee is required whatsoever.

Required Documents

Identification Cards of both parties.

The House Registration Certificates of both parties.

If an alien is registering to be married to a Thai citizen or another alien, he or she is required to submit following documents.

A copy of their passport.

A Letter of Certification, issued by an Embassy or Consulate or a Government Organization from their country, regarding the marital status of the person. The Letter must be translated, then certified by the relevant Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Procedures

Marriage registration can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.

Once the marriage registration is completed, each party will be given a copy of the Marriage Registration Certificate as evidence.

If the marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in female's birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer. The female is required to file for a new Identification Card within 60 days. A service fee of 10 baht is required. If the marriage is registered elsewhere, the female is required to contact the local District Office to change her name and last name, as well as filing for a new Identification Card.

If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office of Minor District Office, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office. The parties filing for marriage are required to provide transportation for the Registrar. A service fee of 200 baht is required.

• 6 months later...

does the amphur also require a certification of your employer or not? i called them and they stated that they would require that as well, seems a little strange to me ....from what i can gather is only passport and document from embassy/consulate that you're free to marry (registred and translated) are required?

Many people don't have an employer but believe your Embassy letter covers employment (I recall mine did) so suspect phone was in the way and only a visit will get the true story. If one place says no move on to another.

See also Registering marriages performed in Thailand for advice given by the Australian Embassy, Bangkok.

About surnames, see Thai Women Allowed to Keep Maiden Names.

By way of a little light relief.

I married my lovely lady in the UK under her married (divorced of course) name because that's what was in her passport.

'When I go Thailand I change name' says she.

She was as good as her word, when we came to Thailand she changed her name...... back to her original maiden name!!! :o