Tot - 0.2Mb Internationally?

paddymoo

Dear All thanks in advance for any help with this... Just moved condo - only 100m down the street near Asoke. in last condo, internet was provided wirelessly by smartzoneonline.com 4Mb - streamed content through a VPN no problem from the UK / USA (-*ahem, definitiely not Pandora and Iplayer*-) Could d/l from Usenet at 400kbps through the UK VPN. moved to a condo 100m away, on TOT 6mb line... now speeds are 5.9Mb in Thailand, but 30kbps max internationally. Its even slower if i try and connect through the VPN. I know that it is limited by the number of connections from thailand to teh rest of the world, but surely it cant be this bad? It is truly horrific. just incase it matters - using the same computers - win7, Grabit. overplay.net VPN Only thing that is different is I was only plugging a network adapter into my computer in the old place, now I have a wireless G router/modem plugged into the phone line. please help someone!

it is because everyone is sharing the same international bandwidth which CAT is selling for at high prices. You will get different intl speeds with different providers and plans depending on how much intl bandwidth they have paid for which usually isn't much because it would be too expensive. Someone mentioned on this forum before that if they delivered speeds internationally as advertised it would cost the provider upwards of 40,000THB per month per account. So do the math.

Edited by BillR

TRUE and CAT have some partnership together, so many people report higher speeds with them. It does not matter if Thailand builds a fiber optic cable to the moon, intl speeds will be not so good until the price of bandwidth comes down. I would post a link to another forum where this is discussed in great detail, but basically incredible intl bandwidth does exist in Thailand the same as the rest of the world but you'll only really get it at uni's, govt offices, and if you lease your own line.

What about a VPN via a locally hosted server which has a good connection out/into the country ? Are there any options for this that anyone's aware of ?

Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?

Why do you want VPN?

I'm on the TOT 6Mb plan in western Bangkok. Very reliable, but not that fast to international web sites....more than good enough for general web browsing, email, and downloading files with a download manager. On speedtest.net I get 5.3Mb in-Thailand and usually get in the 1 to 2Mb range to international web sites, sometimes a little higher. On weekends during the evening it might drop down to 600Kb to some international sites. But if downloading files from an international site using a download manager I get in the 3-4Mb range pretty much 24/7. I'm using IE8, Outlook, Win7, Orbit Download Manager, and a wireless 54G router.

Getting good internet in Thailand many times boils down to Location, Location, Location, even for people on the exact same ISP and plan and even when there may be a small distance between you and a friend on the same plan, but both of you are getting significantly different speeds. Local circuits can make a big difference in your speed depending on how they hooked into backbone/main lines, are the local circuits overloaded, etc. Location, location, location. Getting good internet can be a crap shoot.

For me and folks in my moobaan, TOT owns the lines so we are pretty much a captive audience...and 6Mb is the fastest speed to our moobaan. But as I speak True is stringing up their lines in the moobaan, so within a few months we will have another choice in internet service. I will switch over, unless True limits speed to our moobaan to 6Mb also. The True contractors stringing up the True lines say they will have faster speeds, hopefully they know what they are talking about.

Edited by Pib

What about a VPN via a locally hosted server which has a good connection out/into the country ? Are there any options for this that anyone's aware of ?

Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?

Why do you want VPN?

Well I don't want a VPN but I'd like to download at the full speed of my internet connection and if you use a VPN you can force the route to go via the VPN server which may or may not make a difference based on what kind of connections the facility it's located in has.

Lets say I can get 90% of my line speed to a downtown Bangkok datacenter where I have a server which does have a very good international connection, if I install OpenVPN on this server and then connect to it my international downloads will then work at the same speed as my local downloads due to the abundance of speed inside the datacenter - I'm forcing it to take a more efficient route.

Does anyone know of any datacenters in Bangkok who rent out or colocate cheap servers in Bangkok who allow VPN installations and have excellent international connections ?

thanks for your responses guys.. and I do assume you are all guys!

this is pretty poor then - what i am getting is just plain awful. I will speak to our manager and ask if it is possible to swap to true...

I trawled through the longest thread in the world yesterday about the best way to check your speed (jeeze?!), and I know what I am getting is below average, even for here. If true and TOT both have lines into my building, will they be seperate lines? Is there a chance that it is poor infrastructure within my condo that is causing the problem, so changing provider wont make any difference?

thanks again for the replies.

Paddy

Yes, it could be the infrastructure within your building which is not any ISP's responsibility to fix; it's the building's manager's responsibility to fix. The ISP's responsibility is up to the building; not beyond/within the building. But the ISP will sometimes assist in getting you a better connection within your building depending on the building infrastructure and the relations it has with the building manager.

However, but, since you are getting full speed to "in-Thailand" sites, this indicates you have a good physical line (i.e., attenuation and signal to noise ratio). You need to call your ISP and tell them you are getting good/full "in-Thailand" speed but piss-poor international speed. They then may do some IP magic on your account/profile and magically you have faster speed to international sites...but don't expect 6Mb speeds to international sites on a 6Mb package as the speeds advertised by Thai ISP's is for "in-Thailand" sites; not worldwide.

Short answer: TOT suck arse. Get another ISP if you can (try CSLoxinfo).

CSLoxinfoi is pricy compared to TOT, True 3B, etc., unless something has changed. I don't even think CSLoxinfo list many of their prices anymore on their web site (they use to) other than saying ADSL prices start at 690 baht with speeds from 256Kb to 8Mb...just says call their sales dept for more details. Don't know if I would want to pay 690 baht for only 256Kb. But maybe they got better prices/do have their prices list on their web site and I just can't find them on their web site.

Since this is a TOT line, I suggest the OP look into the possibility of getting JI-NET as his/her ISP. Although priced slightly higher than the competition, the service is very reliable. I had been using their DSL-Max Lite 2 Mbps package for past 3 years (I'm on TRUE now). If you can't get TRUE, this is the next best option, IMHO.

I too was with JI-NET for about 15 months as they are a concessionaire on TOT, True, and other phone company lines. I switched to JI-NET because my TOT 2Mb Goldcyber package sucked. I was on the JI-NET Bizconnext 2Mb package at around 1800 baht/month. Very reliable and I got around 1.7Mb speeds to international sites most the time. But once TOT came out with their 4Mb plan I decided to give them another try and switched back to them. Glad I did as I got equal/faster international speeds and they were just as reliable as JI-NET...and at about 40% of the price. I was pleasantly surprised...and about a year later TOT upgraded my moobaan to 6Mb and I moved up to that plan...it also has been very reliable. JI-NET does have BizConnext 4Mb speeds now on TOT, True, etc., lines but it costs around 2800 baht per month which includes a static IP. Yes, JI-NET is very good...I would have stayed with them but in my opinion they are not very competitive price-wise compared to all the new packages most Thai ISPs have come out with over the last year. I too may be switching to True soon, as True is stringing lines in my moobaan as we speak....I will actually have a choice now between major phone/internet companies instead of being a captive audience to TOT.