Father Joe And The Bangkok Slaughterhouse

Xangsamhua

Many people know about Fr Joe Maier's work in Klong Toey.

This 6-minute video from 2008 is a trailer for a 90-minute documentary being made about his work by two Australians.

I'm not sure how far they are with production. According to their website they've raised $0.00 so far towards a needed $600,000!

http://fatherjoeandt...ghterhouse.com/

Documentaries don't cost $600,000 even 90 minutes would be hard pressed to spend $60,000 but if it is a feature film - "maybe" that figure is justifiable. If a feature - there are tax deductible options for Australians - pay to Canberra and lose it or pay to the film and get deferral of income and a tax write off on the way - as long as the film is compliant under Australian Law. But if you read the investment section of the weblink to "Father Joe" (classified as a feature documentary) - there is not much incentive for investment - this should be worded 'donation' as there is no payback that is mentioned. A little transparency please. Also a summary budget online would help to see who is getting paid what?

Edited by asiawatcher

Good Man, Father Joe.

But I am always irritated at overdramatisation.

Journalists have no qualms at breaching the rule of intellectual honesty it seems.

The trailer opens saying that 20.000 children a day starve to death

=> how many of these in Thailand?

none? then cut it out - the report is about Thailand and not Africa.

And oh, it is called the "slaughterhouse" because the Christians living there were in the business of slaughtering pork, a job that few Buddhists and Muslims wanted to do.

Such misrepresentations make me turn away from the vid, because I don't know how much of it I can believe.

Everyone today seems ready to lie to get $$$.

Even when it is for a good cause.

• 4 weeks later...