Chiang Mai To Vientiane In Feb

Drew Aitch

Hi Folks

I thought my backpacking style long-haul road trips were well behind me, but as I want to go to Vientiane next month, I can't seem to find any flights from any airline that go to Laos from CM international airport. I'm assuming then that there are none?

Reading through a number of old threads, it seems there are numerous ways to get to Vientiane from CM, although I'm yet to find a single way which looks like a unanimous favourite A friend suggested I go Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang to VTE and something about taking a long tailed boat en route.

Would appreciate any info from anyone who has done this trip regularly and recently, and their preferred method of getting there.

Thanks in advance

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Nok Air flies direct now to Udon Thani. About 2500 baht each way. Then just take a minibus to the border. Takes maybe an hour from the Udon Thani Airport...

Otherwise it's the overnight cattle busses. Busses are a lot cheaper but it's a long ride with few rest stops and potential for mechanical breakdowns or accident.

Nok Air

I took a mini van from CM to the Friendship bridge in Nong Khai at the beginning of this month. I went with Aya Service (opposite train station). Van left CM at 7pm, and arrived in NK around 6am, with 2 stops at petrol stations/seven elevens. Cost was 1,000 THB one way. They do a return for 1,500 THB. There were only 3 people in the mini van which meant it was possible for everyone to lie down. If the van had been full I imagine it would have been rather cramped and uncomfortable. Once across the bridge shared a taxi into VTE with 3 other people, cost 50 THB per person.

The boat from Chiang Khong to Luang Prabang is nice, but rather uncomfortable. There are 2 options - slow boat which takes 2 days with a night in Pak Beng, or the fast boat which takes 10 hours. The public bus from Luang Prabang to Vietiene takes 10 hours and seems to stop every 30 minutes.

There has never been a non-stop flight from CNX-VTE. You need to connect in BKK or LPQ.

I prefer to fly Nok Air to Udon Thani and take the 1-hour mini bus to Nong Khai, spend the night there and then tuk-tuks to the border and on to Vientiane.

You could fly to Luang Prabang and then take a mini bus to Vang Vieng (4 hours non-stop, or a 45 minute lunch stop) spend some time there and then another 4-hour mini bus to vientiane.

I'll be in Luang Prabang next week. My 9th or 10th trip, all but one from Jan-April. I've never come back to CM and said "Gee, the air is better here." I'm not in LP now so I can't say what it's like, but I can almost guaranty that the air will be unbreathable here in month.

Hi Forum

After reading through the options here, I've since been onto the Nok Air website and flights seem to be running fine between Chiang Mai and Udon Thani.

So if flights are easy to get and there are minibuses from the airport to the Laos border, then this has to be the best way to go from Chiang Mai. If there are no flights for whatever reason (I've read they can be somewhat unpredictable), then this trip will be more of an adventure holiday than a simple journey, what with talk of long tail boats, buses, tuk-tuks, and various modes of taxis connecting the two destination!

If i do get to go by the preferred mode of travel within the next week or so, I'll post a mini trip report in this thread so as to update anyone who might be interested.

Cheers

Aitch

Hi Forum

After reading through the options here, I've since been onto the Nok Air website and flights seem to be running fine between Chiang Mai and Udon Thani.

So if flights are easy to get and there are minibuses from the airport to the Laos border, then this has to be the best way to go from Chiang Mai. If there are no flights for whatever reason (I've read they can be somewhat unpredictable), then this trip will be more of an adventure holiday than a simple journey, what with talk of long tail boats, buses, tuk-tuks, and various modes of taxis connecting the two destination!

If i do get to go by the preferred mode of travel within the next week or so, I'll post a mini trip report in this thread so as to update anyone who might be interested.

Cheers

Aitch

As reported hear http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/433512-nok-air-flying-again-cm-to-udon-thani/ Nok Air has canceled all flights until at least February 5.

I drove there back in Dec. took me 9 hours to get to from CNX to Nong Khai.

After Den Chai drive cross country to Loei, some wonderful scenery and the flowers are quite impressive in Phua Ruea, best in Thailand IMHO.

Edited by Thaihog

As reported hear http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/433512-nok-air-flying-again-cm-to-udon-thani/ Nok Air has canceled all flights until at least February 5.

That's correct GotLost, and all outbound seats on the 5th are taken. Being amid the weekend and Chinese New Year, it would be a bit opportunist to expect to fly anywhere at the last minute over the coming weekend.

Aitch

Hi Forum

Just a quick update on ways to get to Vientianne, or more specifically Nong Khai, in February 2010.

Fly Nok Air: The flight option looks like it will be the way to travel, with the only downside being it's a late afternoon departure. This means when it lands in Udon Thani, there won't be enough time to reach the border before it closes for the night.

Hire a Car: Not really an option because i might just stay on in Vientiane for a few days break. It would be a bit daft to spend 1,500 Baht/day just to have a vehicle parked up.

Air Con Taxi: Just out of curiosity, i phoned the taxi meter service and enquired about a one-way trip to Nong Khai. If it was less than or equal to the flight price of 3,500 B (give or take), i might have considered this mode of transport because it would mean leaving at a time of my choosing. I guessed it might be more expensive, but for the cost of a call it was worth asking. However, i almost chocked on a biscuit when the lady at the other side of the blower said 15,000 THB one-way!!!

By Boat (slow or fast): Not looking for adventure travel! Just want to get from here to there, so no boats and detours for me on this trip. I mean, i doubt it would be akin to a relaxing Felucca ride down the Nile anyway!

Overnight Bus: Maybe once upon a time, but such gruelling trips these days would only be done as a very last resort.

Think that's all the Feb 2010 options covered from this 'ere neck of the woods.

Aitch

Hi Forum

Just a quick update on ways to get to Vientianne, or more specifically Nong Khai, in February 2010.

Fly Nok Air: The flight option looks like it will be the way to travel, with the only downside being it's a late afternoon departure. This means when it lands in Udon Thani, there won't be enough time to reach the border before it closes for the night.

Hire a Car: Not really an option because i might just stay on in Vientiane for a few days break. It would be a bit daft to spend 1,500 Baht/day just to have a vehicle parked up.

Air Con Taxi: Just out of curiosity, i phoned the taxi meter service and enquired about a one-way trip to Nong Khai. If it was less than or equal to the flight price of 3,500 B (give or take), i might have considered this mode of transport because it would mean leaving at a time of my choosing. I guessed it might be more expensive, but for the cost of a call it was worth asking. However, i almost chocked on a biscuit when the lady at the other side of the blower said 15,000 THB one-way!!!

By Boat (slow or fast): Not looking for adventure travel! Just want to get from here to there, so no boats and detours for me on this trip. I mean, i doubt it would be akin to a relaxing Felucca ride down the Nile anyway!

Overnight Bus: Maybe once upon a time, but such gruelling trips these days would only be done as a very last resort.

Aitch

Say. I was under the impression that the boarded closed at 10PM and the new Nok Air flight gets to Udon at 17:10. That is if they actually got off the ground today.:lol:

Answered my own question. You have enough time.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/434817-nong-khai-friendship-bridge-operation-hours/page__p__4164624__hl__friendship+bridge+hours__fromsearch__1#entry4164624

Edited by gotlost

yeah no problem to fly Nok to Udon Thani and get thru the border in the late afternoon/early evening. That time of day is not so busy. They might ding you an extra $5 for the Lao visa at the later hours.

Last time I got to my hotel in Vientiane and it was still light out when I arrived.

Thanks for that CobraSnakeNecktie.

I sure that i read somewhere though that the border closes at 18:00, and that the trip from Undon to Nong Khai was at least 1 hour. That's why i pointed out the drawback to the flight schedule. Looks like i read an outdated post. Oh well, I'll know soon enough ;)

Aitch

Hi Forum

Just out of curiosity, does the Thai immigration at the Laos border have the same policy as Mae Sai in that you have to carry 20,000 Baht for Non Immigrant Visas? I've never been asked at Mae Sai, but even so, as it's a requirement it's always best to stuff the ole wallet just in case. I don't like walking around with 20,000 + Baht in cash, so if it's not a requirement at this border crossing, I'll not bother.

Cheers

Aitch

• 2 months later...

Hi Forum

Cheers

Aitch

Hi Aitch, done the trip yet, any thing of interest to report, updates/fares/hotels/guesthouses/border crossing times etc,etc?

YOS

... snip ... done the trip yet, any thing of interest to report, updates/fares/hotels/guesthouses/border crossing times etc,etc?

YOS

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun YeOldeSage,

Last month, March 23, flew CM to UT on Nok-Air-Mini, arriving 5:10PM: round trip was about 5900 baht (ouch !).

CM => UT March 23

DD DEP. ARR.

957 15:50 17:10

UT => CM March 25

DD DEP. ARR.

958 17:40 19:00

200 baht for the very comfortable jumbo mini-van from the UT airport to the Friendship Bridge. The small fee for crossing the bridge by bus. The usual US $35 entry fee for Laos for US Citizens. Having downloaded and pre-filled out all the paperwork for Laos entry made that smooth.

Arrived, as expected, at favorite hotel in Vientiane, before 8PM, towards the northern end of the road that runs along the Mekhong, The Mekhong Sunshine Guest House: 800 baht per night.

Mekong Sunshine Hotel

856-21-251-401

856-21-212-912

[email protected]

no wi-fi, but free internet computer in the lobby. Clean rooms, strong air-con units, TV in room includes CNN, BBC, Movie channels. Free Breakfast. Downside: further from the Thai Consular Services building than other places.

Getting to Thai Consular Services building early (as in 8AM), and having the application papers already filled out ... downloaded off the web), saved time. Was out of there quickly. Next day, granted double-entry after 1PM, no problem. Back to Udon Thani by anothre limo company from the Thai side of the Friendship Bridge to the airport, also 200 baht. Note: travelled with newly re-issued US Passport. And since this was before March 31, no visa fees were charged.

Almost felt guilty "splurging," on that air-trip, but it sure took the "sting" of out the journey by eliminating that grueling bus trip from CM, to Udon, and back.

Note that one commentator, either here, or on the main TV Visa Forum, suggested that Nok-Mini was suspending the CM-UT route as of March 26, so you may want to check if that is still available.

Always a good idea to keep checking the main TV Visa forum up to the day you leave to hear the lastest, wethinks.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

You forgot the BEST way.... Get on the motorbike and make a cross-country, "I did this", trip out of it. Take a few extra days and explore around the area. On the way back, follow the river back to Nan, then to CM. Beautiful areas and a different flavor to what you have around CM.

And No, nobody will ask you about the 20K baht.

Hi Forum

Aitch

... snip ... done the trip yet, any thing of interest to report, updates/fares/hotels/guesthouses/border crossing times etc,etc?

YOS

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun YeOldeSage,

Last month, March 23, flew CM to UT on Nok-Air-Mini, arriving 5:10PM: round trip was about 5900 baht (ouch !).

CM => UT March 23

DD DEP. ARR.

957 15:50 17:10

UT => CM March 25

DD DEP. ARR.

958 17:40 19:00

200 baht for the very comfortable jumbo mini-van from the UT airport to the Friendship Bridge. The small fee for crossing the bridge by bus. The usual US $35 entry fee for Laos for US Citizens. Having downloaded and pre-filled out all the paperwork for Laos entry made that smooth.

Arrived, as expected, at favorite hotel in Vientiane, before 8PM, towards the northern end of the road that runs along the Mekhong, The Mekhong Sunshine Guest House: 800 baht per night.

Mekong Sunshine Hotel

856-21-251-401

856-21-212-912

[email protected]

no wi-fi, but free internet computer in the lobby. Clean rooms, strong air-con units, TV in room includes CNN, BBC, Movie channels. Free Breakfast. Downside: further from the Thai Consular Services building than other places.

Getting to Thai Consular Services building early (as in 8AM), and having the application papers already filled out ... downloaded off the web), saved time. Was out of there quickly. Next day, granted double-entry after 1PM, no problem. Back to Udon Thani by anothre limo company from the Thai side of the Friendship Bridge to the airport, also 200 baht. Note: travelled with newly re-issued US Passport. And since this was before March 31, no visa fees were charged.

Almost felt guilty "splurging," on that air-trip, but it sure took the "sting" of out the journey by eliminating that grueling bus trip from CM, to Udon, and back.

Note that one commentator, either here, or on the main TV Visa Forum, suggested that Nok-Mini was suspending the CM-UT route as of March 26, so you may want to check if that is still available.

Always a good idea to keep checking the main TV Visa forum up to the day you leave to hear the lastest, wethinks.

best, ~o:37;

Many thanks gents for the info.

~o:37, Just got off the phone to PP Travel re airfares seems the date I want to travel (April 27 - May 8) the price has jumped to 6,700 rtn (bigger ouch! :( ) Still for me it will be the best (cumphy) choice. Times are now cnx-uth dep. 11:20 arr. 12:40 (SF 34) Rtn: 13:05 - 14:25.

As for the bike trip Steve, having trouble falling out of the bed every morning never mind staying on a bike that length of time. Nice idea though :D

YOS

... snip ... ~o:37, Just got off the phone to PP Travel re airfares seems the date I want to travel (April 27 - May 8) the price has jumped to 6,700 rtn (bigger ouch! :( ) Still for me it will be the best (cumphy) choice. Times are now cnx-uth dep. 11:20 arr. 12:40 (SF 34) Rtn: 13:05 - 14:25.

Sawasdee Khrup Khun YeOldeSage,

You may want to check if on-line purchase from Nok Air's site gives you a cheaper price if you have a credit card. Purchased ours directly at CM Airport.

Also, Nok-Mini was running two flights per day during the time we went. We chose the later departures both going and coming back in order to minimize time spent in Vientiane.

Of course, both schedule and pricing may have changed by now, TIT.

happy travels, ~o:37;