Best Android Smartphone In Thailand Now

tominbkk

Hi All

Well, I have had my iPhone 3 now for over 2 1/2 years, and it has served me well. I believe the time has come for me to get something different, and am quite interested in going Android.

The Samsung Galaxy S looks very nice! Are there better phones than that in Thailand? I will look around a lot, and have been eying some Motorolas and HTCs online, but don't know if those companies officially have models out here in Thailand. Are the Evo 4G and the Droid X available here?

If you have any recommendations for phones in Thailand of the same caliber as the iPhone 4 or the Samsung Galaxy S, I would love to hear it! Most preferable would for me to be able to trial run a phone for a couple weeks, but I know that is not possible, so I would appreciate local reccomendations based on my criteria.

Thanks

Tom

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am getting an HTC Desire HD from abroad, but have seen them in some shops here. Gray imports I think. The Samsung feels plasticy and cheap compared to the aluminum bodied Desire HD. The Motorolas have nice build quality, but can be a pain to root and install custom ROMs - if you are into that.

I think you should consider where you will be using your phone, and on what type of networks, paying special attention to the 3G frequencies your prospective model supports, and those offered by your service provider. I think the iPhones support many 3G frequencies while a local Galaxy S would only support 900/2100 MHz (so would not work with True or DTAC 3G which use 850 MHz).

Right now, it seems like the Samsung Galaxy S, the HTC Desire, the HTC Desire HD might be the top-shelf Android phones here?

The Nokia N8 (not Android) gets high marks.

The Galaxy S has been out for almost one year, and the S2 is expected maybe end Q1/begining Q2, and has been a hugely successful model, especially in the U.S. where it is sold by AT&T, T-Mo, and Verizon (under different names). It seems like the Galaxy S supplies are dwindling here, with the 8GB version (more than adequate IMO)generally available for 17,500.

The HTC Desire has also been out for a while, it seems like it available for ~ 15,000, while the HD, which is quite new, is holding at the MSRP of 22,900 (w/32 GB), but available for less with smaller uSD cards. Both of these HTC models support 900/2100 MHz 3G only, so no-go with True or DTAC 3G.

TOT 3G operates on 2100 MHZ, and is available fro TOT or via resellers like iMobile, iKool and others).

You can check street prices at www dot thaimobilecenter dot com

Hi

I am also considering the HTC desire HD, which I saw in Airport Plaza ( Chiang Mai ) at HTC shop. I would also like to buy the Dell Streak for its big screen ( 5 inches ), it is also available here but the price is 26900 bahts. Does anyone own one, and how is it ?

Phil

Edited by pilou

I think any Dell android phones here would be grey-market only. There was a Dell Streak for sale on the local craigslist not so long ago.

Not sure about the Motorola Droid X, it looks OK spec-wise. The HTC EVO 4G is specific to Sprint so not sure you want that? The HTC Desire HD looks to be the same HW platform, just different radios.

If I were buying right now, I might get the Dell Venue? (on eBay, then bring it back here)

Edited by lomatopo

You should probably check out all the videos on Youtube, they have everything from unboxing, to set-up to modding. Some of the comparison videos are quite enlightening.

FWIW some are complaining about the HTC Desire HD, specifically about the LCD screen, which is much different from the (Super-)AMOLED screens on other phones, and that the battery may require frequent charging.

For pilou , Dell have an unlocked 16GB version of the Streak on sale now for $399.99 (from $549.99). That's a pretty decent price. The Dell Venue was just announced at CES so no pricing or availability as of yet. It looks like it will only be sold unlocked.

Edited by lomatopo

Happy with my LCD screen of Desire HD, for sure Amoled should be better, but nobody 's perfect.

With a moderate use the battery lasts a couple of days. Full use with wifi, geotag/GPS etc you have to charge it every night ^_^.

But the best, most powerful, elegant and useful phone I ever had.

My 2 cents.. (actually 22.900 baht :lol:)

You should probably check out all the videos on Youtube, they have everything from unboxing, to set-up to modding. Some of the comparison videos are quite enlightening.

FWIW some are complaining about the HTC Desire HD, specifically about the LCD screen, which is much different from the (Super-)AMOLED screens on other phones, and that the battery may require frequent charging.

For pilou , Dell have an unlocked 16GB version of the Streak on sale now for $399.99 (from $549.99). That's a pretty decent price. The Dell Venue was just announced at CES so no pricing or availability as of yet. It looks like it will only be sold unlocked.

Thanks, I read that the Streak 5 price was dropping in the US, but prices on eBay have not dropped . Anyway after a bad experience with an Iphone 3Gs purchased on eBay, I am a bit reluctant to buy another smartphone there.

For the battery problem on the Desire HD, it seems that there is a way to improve it by " calibrating " the battery . Snakeoil ?

Galaxy Tab is another option, yes you can use it as a phone ( smalltalk or BlueTooth ), but it is not so easy to carry it around. One of my friend has it, and he told me he was hardly using his Nexus 1 ( another nice smartphone ) anymore.

Phil

Thanks, I read that the Streak 5 price was dropping in the US, but prices on eBay have not dropped . Anyway after a bad experience with an Iphone 3Gs purchased on eBay, I am a bit reluctant to buy another smartphone there.

Phil

I bought my Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S, ~ 12,000 baht) on eBay NIB (unlocked), no problems so far. Perfect phone for Thailand (3G:850/2100) even though it is an AT&T phone! (I just bought a new Thinkpad on eBay too.)

But buying directly from Dell would be ideal I think? I think Dell just dropped the price this week, or have a special promotion on that unlocked 16 GB Streak. I'd get one if I hadn't just got the Captivate. The new Venue looks sweet (not the Venue Pro, which is a Windows phone), but not sure when it will be available, or what the pricing will be? Maybe $500-ish?

Whatever you get make sure you can use it on the 3G network you're using, or you have access to wifi where you'll use it most. These phones aren't really intended for slow data networks and the experience on EDGE isn't very pleasant. Email is ok since they default to not downloading pictures in the emails, but internet browsing is slow since they're generally loading the full websites. Rare exceptions like Yahoo have a mobile website version that's different from their wap or regular versions, which are ok. But even then they take a while to load over EDGE.

For any phones from the US, only Tmobile or AT&T phones (plus some other small companies) have a good chance of being usable in Thailand. But even those two use different 3G frequencies, but some of the AT&T phones have more frequencies than AT&T uses. Same for Tmobile to a lesser extent. Phones from Sprint and Verizon, like the EVO 4G or Droid X, are CDMA, which aren't generally going to work in Thailand for even basic things like calls or text messaging. (Although I think I've seen mention of a CDMA provider in Thailand, but what's the coverage and do the frequencies match for both the regular service and the high speed? No idea.)

I am getting an HTC Desire HD from abroad, but have seen them in some shops here. Gray imports I think. The Samsung feels plasticy and cheap compared to the aluminum bodied Desire HD. The Motorolas have nice build quality, but can be a pain to root and install custom ROMs - if you are into that.

I purchased the HTC Desire HD last month at the HTC shop in Market Village, Hua Hin. So far very impressed with it but it requires charging every night otherwise it will run out during the following day.

Samsung S...Best screen around imo.

Yes, it helps when you manufacture the screens too. ;) (And won't let HTC have any. :whistling: ) I run my screen at 15% and friends with iPhones think it looks better than theirs! When I crank it up to 100%, then they're trying to figure out how quickly they can buy one! Also, don't forget the Gorilla Glass screen cover. (That is the model I have, Samsung Captivate, you can see it looks different than the Galaxy S, but it is a Galaxy S.)

Agree the Android Market is way cool, and its also nice to add any media files, without converting, and they play. Finally Google Translate, with integrated SMS translation, is super useful here in Thailand.

Edited by lomatopo

I am very disappointed with my HTC desire. The ringtone is so weak that most of the time I cant hear it .

Samsung S...Best screen around imo.

Yes, it helps when you manufacture the screens too. ;) (And won't let HTC have any. :whistling: ) I run my screen at 15% and friends with iPhones think it looks better than theirs! When I crank it up to 100%, then they're trying to figure out how quickly they can buy one! Also, don't forget the Gorilla Glass screen cover. (That is the model I have, Samsung Captivate, you can see it looks different than the Galaxy S, but it is a Galaxy S.)

Agree the Android Market is way cool, and its also nice to add any media files, without converting, and they play. Finally Google Translate, with integrated SMS translation, is super useful here in Thailand.

I don't know if you've seen this test. It's a Korean show and they do a bit more than just rub around with a knife. I use a Bodyguardz full body protector including a screen protector. The glass is really good, but with hard objects and enough pressure, you can get scratches.

I have a permanent impression in my screen protector that resulted from some tiny pointed object pressing against it when it was in my bag on the trip back from Thailand. I have no idea what it would have done if it had been directly on the glass.

Skip to about 35 seconds in where the video starts.

Had a nice walk around last night at Fashion Island. No Galaxy S phone anywhere! Lots of HTC Desire HDs though. Looks nice, but nobody has one turned on that I can play with a bit....which is something I like to do. I don't know, might splurge tomorrow....one thing is it seems so big.

Had a nice walk around last night at Fashion Island. No Galaxy S phone anywhere! Lots of HTC Desire HDs though. Looks nice, but nobody has one turned on that I can play with a bit....which is something I like to do. I don't know, might splurge tomorrow....one thing is it seems so big.

My first impression is they were way too big. But due to how thin they are, I hardly notice mine in my pocket. Lots of times when I'm walking around the house, I'm not sure if I have it my pocket or not. With my Blackberry before, it was smaller but thicker and it seemed like carrying around a rock. It just was more noticeable.

Very happy (8 mos) with my HTC Desire...considering upgrading to the HTC Desire HD. However, the only drawback is the non-AMOLED screen. The HD screen is still nice and WAY big, which is great for web-surfing and eReading but still not an AMOLED experience.

Yes, these kinds of phones do require constant charging if you use them to surf the web, watch videos, listen to podcasts, and take photos but so what...electricity is cheap and you basically have a notebook computer in your pocket (plus a telephone). On a full charge, when I go out and use it to surf at a cafe or listen to some podcasts and stuff, i get 6-7 hours on a charge. If you minimize the apps running in the background and keep the screen brightness to medium, you will have no problems. [it's actually all the apps running in the background and updating themselves and using up CPU cycles that eats up your batteries...not the big bright beautiful screens...don't forget, each of these models has a 1ghz processor beating at its heart.] Basically, wherever U get back home, I just stick it on the charger until I go out again...no big deal.

I also agree that the stock ringtone volume is very weak on the Desire...even at the max setting. However, if you install any of thousands of free ring=tones from the Android Market, these are much louder for some reason and the problem is solved.

I have a HTC desire and am very happy with it and the only issue l have with it is the battery life. Needs charging almost every other day depending on use. Very easy to use. I bought mine at the HTC shop ar Airport Plaza in Chiang Mai. Cost about 17500 baht

I think you should consider where you will be using your phone, and on what type of networks, paying special attention to the 3G frequencies your prospective model supports, and those offered by your service provider. I think the iPhones support many 3G frequencies while a local Galaxy S would only support 900/2100 MHz (so would not work with True or DTAC 3G which use 850 MHz).

Right now, it seems like the Samsung Galaxy S, the HTC Desire, the HTC Desire HD might be the top-shelf Android phones here?

The Nokia N8 (not Android) gets high marks.

The Galaxy S has been out for almost one year, and the S2 is expected maybe end Q1/begining Q2, and has been a hugely successful model, especially in the U.S. where it is sold by AT&T, T-Mo, and Verizon (under different names). It seems like the Galaxy S supplies are dwindling here, with the 8GB version (more than adequate IMO)generally available for 17,500.

The HTC Desire has also been out for a while, it seems like it available for ~ 15,000, while the HD, which is quite new, is holding at the MSRP of 22,900 (w/32 GB), but available for less with smaller uSD cards. Both of these HTC models support 900/2100 MHz 3G only, so no-go with True or DTAC 3G.

TOT 3G operates on 2100 MHZ, and is available fro TOT or via resellers like iMobile, iKool and others).

You can check street prices at www dot thaimobilecenter dot com

Here is a great link that compares the different price lineups. http://www.thaimobil...tail.asp?nid=82 scroll down to see the comparison chart. see English translation http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thaimobilecenter.com%2Fhome%2Fmobile_article_detail.asp%3Fnid%3D82

I think that the wellcom A99 is the best priced value. I did see some of the local thai vendors in the Ocean Mall carry the Acer Liquid Metal. 14900 and I didnt know it had so many specs. A little pricey for me, but it is powerful little phone.

There are a few phones that have all the 3G spectrums 850/900/2100.

Edited by 4evermaat

Now that I think about it, I'm considering heading to that mobile expo this weekend in bangkok. Each of the major phone vendors will be having decent promotions, and they will have many android phones at all kinds.

For a good android phone (7000 -10000 bhat range), the Acer beTouch e140 is reasonably. The Samsung Galaxy Cooper

But they will have several that are in the 3000-7000 range also, including a spriiing querty for 6000 baht or so.

Now that I think about it, I'm considering heading to that mobile expo this weekend in bangkok. Each of the major phone vendors will be having decent promotions, and they will have many android phones at all kinds.

For a good android phone (7000 -10000 bhat range), the Acer beTouch e140 is reasonably. The Samsung Galaxy Cooper

But they will have several that are in the 3000-7000 range also, including a spriiing querty for 6000 baht or so.

http://www.thailandmobileexpo.com/2011/

This show is at Queen Sirikit Center. Typically there are not a lot of huge deals per se. Rather many nw models are showcased, and you can get added to the waitlist, or they throw in extra goodies (case, memory, etc.), but not a lot of movement on price. Most mall stores will match the Expo price, for those bigger retailers.

http://www.thailandm...eexpo.com/2011/

This show is at Queen Sirikit Center. Typically there are not a lot of huge deals per se. Rather many nw models are showcased, and you can get added to the waitlist, or they throw in extra goodies (case, memory, etc.), but not a lot of movement on price. Most mall stores will match the Expo price, for those bigger retailers.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'm comparing Chumphon to the expo. There is virtually NOTHING middle or high-end out here. Gotta order or have a friend buy/ship it to you. So I figured I'd just go right to the action myself.

I will be taking the bus from Chumphon for the first time to Bangkok. Any idea how to get there from the bus station? I want to rent a motorbike also to make it easier to go as I please.

I learned that the Thailand Mobile Expo tme will be held at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center. Location info is here: http://www.qsncc.co.th/about_qsncc/about_howto.asp and a map here: http://www.qsncc.co.th/about_qsncc/ncc_map.htm . Surprisingly, there is no thai on the website.

And from the looks of it, if multiple people are going, taxi may be the most practical.

I have a permanent impression in my screen protector that resulted from some tiny pointed object pressing against it when it was in my bag on the trip back from Thailand. I have no idea what it would have done if it had been directly on the glass.

It would have been fine. Because Glass is harder than steel, whereas the screen protector is just a piece of plastic that scratches easily.

The only reason people buy screen protectors for glass screens is because of a lack of understanding of basic physics. Take a knife to your screen protector - it will cut through like butter. Try hard as you can to scratch your glass mobile phone screen (erm - don't try this on nokias or phones with plastic screens, obviously ;) ) - you won't be able to. Doesn't matter how hard you push - you'll maybe blunt the blade at some point.

The GorillaGlass they use on the iPhone and also high end Samsungs is hardened even more - don't know the details but I am sure a quick Google search would fill you in.

My wife recently came to me "Honey, I scratched my iPhone screen". She was sad. I took a look, took off the screen protector, and handed it back scratch-free.

The only thing you have to be careful about is sand and stones, concrete - that can sometimes scratch a screen, I guess it depends on the exact material in the sand/stone/concrete. In any case, I am not trying it out. Steel is fine though.