Best Android Smartphone In Thailand Now

tominbkk

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wanted to follow up with some recent news regarding some of the Samsung smartphones weve been mentioning:

There is new version of the Galaxy S, basically a of replacement of sorts, called the Galaxy SL (I9003) . Same specs as the original EXCEPT it has a Super Clear LCD screen. Local price is/will be 13,900 THB (16 GB). Samsung flipped the Super Amoled manufacturing over to the new Galaxy S2, but still had a lot of demand for the older S model.

Some friends/family have the new Samsung Galaxy Ace/Cooper (S5830), and I have to say this is an especially impressive midrange Android (2.2.1) smartphone. Local price ~ 9,100 THB. I might get this model if buying today.

The new Samsung Galaxy SII (S2) (i9100) looks impressive. The 850 Mhz 3G radio is a plus. Not sure about availability, am hearing Q2, or pricing, but am sort of expecting ~ 22,000 THB.

Edited by lomatopo

I wanted to follow up with some recent news regarding some of the Samsung smartphones we’ve been mentioning:

There is new version of the Galaxy S, basically a of replacement of sorts, called the Galaxy SL (I9003) . Same specs as the original EXCEPT it has a “Super Clear LCD” screen. Local price is/will be 13,900 THB (16 GB). Samsung flipped the Super Amoled manufacturing over to the new Galaxy S2, but still had a lot of demand for the older S model.

Some friends/family have the new Samsung Galaxy Ace/Cooper (S5830), and I have to say this is an especially impressive midrange Android (2.2.1) smartphone. Local price ~ 9,100 THB. I might get this model if buying today.

The new Samsung Galaxy SII (S2) (i9100) looks impressive. The 850 Mhz 3G radio is a plus. Not sure about availability, am hearing Q2, or pricing, but am sort of expecting ~ 22,000 THB.

Ive been following the Samsung Galaxy S2 , its listed in the UK for £649.99 :o

UK Price Link

I wanted to follow up with some recent news regarding some of the Samsung smartphones we've been mentioning:

There is new version of the Galaxy S, basically a of replacement of sorts, called the Galaxy SL (I9003) . Same specs as the original EXCEPT it has a "Super Clear LCD" screen. Local price is/will be 13,900 THB (16 GB). Samsung flipped the Super Amoled manufacturing over to the new Galaxy S2, but still had a lot of demand for the older S model.

Probably a refurbished / remodel version of Galaxy S to get rid of overstock hardware? Especially if the hardware (minus the screen) is exactly the same. I like the price. Will they have 8GB model? The price for that 8GB model may be comparable to getting the Galaxy Ace. It may be a better buy.

You won't be disappointed. The S5830 is solid. I've only had about 2 crashes for what appeared to be conflicting software. Had an issue with wifi, but was resolved by forcing the wifi to stay on when the phone screen sleeps. Then turning off and on the WIFI again sometimes, which is easily accomplished in the notifications tab. I've done VoIP w/ cSipSimple, sent about 100 emails (gmail), SMS, Remote Desktop to windows, . It does a great job of closing out unused programs. But I still use Advance Task Manager to kill programs. The built in task manager and ram cleaner also works very well and I use that also.

My girlfriend loves the thai keyboard. The english one is good, too. I like how you can access the numbers and some special characters with a long press. But I wish it wasn't too long before the menu popped up. I haven't tried the SWYPE keyboard. I'm considering re-adding skype voip. I was having issues shutting the program down.

Although I would have loved an actual trackball, they do have a neat floating cursor mover for you to touch and drag to place the cursor where you want.

Only thing left to do is root the phone.

Edited by 4evermaat

best android smart phone in the market

1. First companies using android

HTC

Samsung

LG

Motorola

Sony but not sure

other no name brands

2. Depends on which UI ( user interface ) you like

I played with samsung's UI but didn't like their UI, I prefer HTC Sense

3. Everything with android comes down to

Price, Processor Speed, Ram, Memory Storage, user reviews,

to many factors but I only put my htc desire for nomination great experience for me

best android smart phone in the market

1. First companies using android

HTC

Samsung

LG

Motorola

Sony but not sure

other no name brands

2. Depends on which UI ( user interface ) you like

I played with samsung's UI but didn't like their UI, I prefer HTC Sense

3. Everything with android comes down to

Price, Processor Speed, Ram, Memory Storage, user reviews,

to many factors but I only put my htc desire for nomination great experience for me

Just going on what the screen looks like , ive tried out a few phones and the Samsung Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen was the best experience ,

the bright clear and vibrant colors were for me personally the current winner . What will the Super AMOLED - Plus will be like :o

How long the battery last on overclock?

I haven't noticed any difference. It needs to be charged daily whether it is overclocked or not. I have the overclocking set to "on demand", so It only goes up to 1.61GHz when needed.

...so It only goes up to 1.61GHz when needed.

i.e. Running Quadrant Benchmark tests. <_<

Most Android experts in the forums seem to deride those who post the highest Quadrant Benchmark scores and overclock, saying the former is meaniningless and the latter unecessary, and potentially problematic (heat, battery life). I actually moved to a new custom ROM which dropped my Quadrant score by ~ 20%, but my phone seems to perform everyday tasks a bit faster. I have subsequently removed Quadrant Benchmark, Linpack, NeoCore, NenaMark1 from my phone.

FWIW, 3G seems to really sap my battery. Many people say WiFi uses much more battery but that has not been the case with my phone. I've flashed several modem iterations, all without improvement. With the 3G radio on all the time I can go at most 30 hours on a charge. With 2G or WiFi that is closer to 48 hours.

i.e. Running Quadrant Benchmark tests. <_<

Most Android experts in the forums seem to deride those who post the highest Quadrant Benchmark scores and overclock, saying the former is meaniningless and the latter unecessary, and potentially problematic (heat, battery life). I actually moved to a new custom ROM which dropped my Quadrant score by ~ 20%, but my phone seems to perform everyday tasks a bit faster. I have subsequently removed Quadrant Benchmark, Linpack, NeoCore, NenaMark1 from my phone.

Web browsing and watching videos makes good use of the extra speed. HTC's Sense UI appreciates it as well.

I spend most of my time on http://forum.xda-developers.com. Can't say I have seen many there "deriding" those of us that enjoy tinkering and seeing what kind of performance we can squeeze out of our Android devices. As a matter of fact, there are many very knowledgeable people there developing overclocked kernels for various devices.

I used to run my HTC Hero at 700 MHz, Never had any stability issues with it, and battery life was acceptable. So far the Desire HD has been completely reliable at 1.61GHz. Looking forward to seeing just how far it can go before it starts hanging. Good fun!

Anyone seen the new Samsung Nexus S (with Android 2.3) being sold here in Thailand? I saw that it was supposed to be released after Mobile Expo in bkk (beginning of Feb) but all I saw released in the last week is the new Galaxy S running Android 2.2). I think 'm not going to wait any longer, I'm just going to order from overseas.

The Google Nexus S, is available in the U.S. and is targeted for the T-Mo 3G network. It is manufactured by Samsung, a variant of the Samsung Galaxy S, and was really just a Google phone cobbled together to launch Gingerbread (Android 2.3). It is pretty much useless here in Thailand if you want to use 3G. Also no ext. uSD slot. Most phones can be upgraded to 2.3 so no need to go for this phone, IMO. There was a leaked version of 2.3 for the Galaxy S this week.

I think you can find grey-market Nexus S phones here in Thailand.

http://www.thaimobilecenter.com/spec/Samsung_Google_Nexus_S.asp

scroll down to see shop pricing (on the left).

I do not believe that this phone will be launched in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

The Google Nexus S, is available in the U.S. and is targeted for the T-Mo 3G network. It is manufactured by Samsung, a variant of the Samsung Galaxy S, and was really just a Google phone cobbled together to launch Gingerbread (Android 2.3). It is pretty much useless here in Thailand if you want to use 3G. Also no ext. uSD slot. Most phones can be upgraded to 2.3 so no need to go for this phone, IMO. There was a leaked version of 2.3 for the Galaxy S this week.

I think you can find grey-market Nexus S phones here in Thailand.

http://www.thaimobilecenter.com/spec/Samsung_Google_Nexus_S.asp

scroll down to see shop pricing (on the left).

I do not believe that this phone will be launched in Thailand.

21,500 Baht :)

2011-03-23_1335.png

I have a Dell Streak 5 which I got off of dell.com. I love it. It's unlocked, has android 2.2 and is a phone and a tablet.

I have used it on my last three trips to thailand with a DTAC sim which have a phone number and a data plan. Fast and unlocked great for

email even in most of Issan. In Pattaya/Bangkok/Jomtien it's just as fast as my DTAC aircard for internet. The built in wifi

is really handy...lot's of unlocked wifi all over the place. personally I love android....tons of free app's

This thing actually fits in your back pocket and has a 5 inch screen with a great battery life. Instant gmail almost the same as a

Blackberry. No I am not Michael Dell....just happy I found this thing as I travel around LOS only with a backpack...time for me to

get rid of the netbook that I travel with.....

I have a Dell Streak 5 which I got off of dell.com. I love it.

Do you know which version you purchased? There are two versions: one with a 850/1900/2100 Mhz 3G radio (targeted for AT&T) and one with a 900/2100 Mhz 3G radio (targeted for O2)? The former would be ideal for Thailand as you could use either True 3G (850 Mhz) or TOT 3G (2100 Mhz). Most Dell retail outlets here in Thailand seem sell only the 900/2100 versions of the Dell Streak 5 and 7, at least that's all I've seen. I like the Dell Venue.

I have a Dell Streak 5 which I got off of dell.com. I love it.

Do you know which version you purchased? There are two versions: one with a 850/1900/2100 Mhz 3G radio (targeted for AT&T) and one with a 900/2100 Mhz 3G radio (targeted for O2)? The former would be ideal for Thailand as you could use either True 3G (850 Mhz) or TOT 3G (2100 Mhz). Most Dell retail outlets here in Thailand seem sell only the 900/2100 versions of the Dell Streak 5 and 7, at least that's all I've seen. I like the Dell Venue.

I tried a Dell Streak out in the local shopping mall, sadly the battery died within a few minuets so not able to play with it for long , The Dell Venue

ive only watched on youtube videos , but its very impressive and nice looking phone , the only one ive seen is on line here in Thailand , sadly its an imported model with no warranty :(

2011-03-29_1734.png

TL :jap:

I have a Dell Streak 5 which I got off of dell.com. I love it. It's unlocked, has android 2.2 and is a phone and a tablet.

I have used it on my last three trips to thailand with a DTAC sim which have a phone number and a data plan. Fast and unlocked great for

email even in most of Issan. In Pattaya/Bangkok/Jomtien it's just as fast as my DTAC aircard for internet. The built in wifi

is really handy...lot's of unlocked wifi all over the place. personally I love android....tons of free app's

This thing actually fits in your back pocket and has a 5 inch screen with a great battery life. Instant gmail almost the same as a

Blackberry. No I am not Michael Dell....just happy I found this thing as I travel around LOS only with a backpack...time for me to

850/1900/2100 3G Today I downloaded Firefox 4 to it....love it. The android built in browser is very good but Firefox 4 is better

in my opinion.

Hi sorry just not thinking

Here You Go .... :)

Thanks, that store is very interesting. That price for the Captivate is sick. 13,900! Why buy anything else? B)

850/1900/2100 3G Today I downloaded Firefox 4 to it....love it. The android built in browser is very good but Firefox 4 is better

in my opinion.

Have you considered using True for 3G? DTAC really only have 3G in a few areas, but on 850 Mhz as well.

I am also leaning towards a Dell Streak 5 to replace my decaying iPhone 3G, its price seems to have dropped significantly to be around 19000 bahts now.

Has anybody bought one in Chiang Mai ? Where ? Is internet tethering working ?

Thanks

Phil

I am also leaning towards a Dell Streak 5 to replace my decaying iPhone 3G, its price seems to have dropped significantly to be around 19000 bahts now.

Has anybody bought one in Chiang Mai ? Where ? Is internet tethering working ?

Thanks

Phil

I'm looking for a 4inch upwards screen phone , how about the HTC Desire HD I thinks about the same price , just a thought :)

2011-04-01_1906.png

2011-04-01_1907.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2TV1_m9SW0

There's a trade-in promotion at the moment on HTC phones, you can trade in your old phone (they have a list of what they will accept) and you get a discount off one of their phones. The HTC Desire HD is currently 14,500baht reduced from 18,500baht as part of this deal. Jaymart and a few others have this promo, ask at your local call, I think it's called 'turn-in' promo.

I almost went for it but ended up getting the new 4gb Galaxy S, very happy with it. :)

There's a trade-in promotion at the moment on HTC phones, you can trade in your old phone (they have a list of what they will accept) and you get a discount off one of their phones. The HTC Desire HD is currently 14,500baht reduced from 18,500baht as part of this deal. Jaymart and a few others have this promo, ask at your local call, I think it's called 'turn-in' promo.

I almost went for it but ended up getting the new 4gb Galaxy S, very happy with it. :)

Thanks for that :)

I would really like a 4inch + screen - super AMOLED like the one you just bought , can I ask how much you paid for it ?

and did you consider the Galaxy SL at 13,900 ฿.

One other ive looked at is the Samsung Google Nexus S , which has a super AMOLED screen and priced around 19,900 ฿ but it has no memory expansion

card slot .