Best Android Smartphone In Thailand Now

tominbkk

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Checked out a brand new Android phone a friend of mine has - very slick Samsung device, top of the line, gorgeous screen, thin, sleek, beautiful hardware.

But what's disappointing is that Android still doesn't have smooth transitions. This thing may be able to do all kinds of tricks - but do you think it can scroll a list with no lagging or stuttering? No - it can't. There is not much lag, and the stutter is very small but if you come from an iPhone where this was smooth as butter starting in revision 1 in 2007, it makes the phone feel ancient.

Clearly a software issue, the hardware is as good as the iPhone 4 if not better. Google needs to hire some animators or graphics people who know what they're doing, and improve their hardware acceleration.

Some things were smooth - starting and closing an app for example. But others had this slight stutter, like you can see the device can't quite keep up with the fingers so it's skipping some animation frames. It was the first thing I noticed when playing with the phone.

I have an AT&T Captivate (AT&T version of Samsung Galaxy S - 16GB and Super OLED screen) I got from the U.S. I have a Nexus One so I don't need this phone. It is in good shape and screen is perfect. Can get 3G on True, TOT3G and True. It is running official 2.2 FroYo and is unlocked and rooted. If anyone is interested I will sell for 12,000 Baht.

Edited by jackbox

If it's 32 Gig onboard memory that's a good price.

There are no Galaxy S phones with 32GB onboard. The max is 16GB and that is what this one has. You can use a micro-SD and add another 32G for a total of 48GB.

Edited by jackbox

Wow are the dell streaks expensive in Thailand. I'm visiting the states at the moment and just got new i5 sandy bridge laptop bundled with unlocked dell streak 5 for less than 20,000 TOTAL. The phone hasn't shipped yet, but if I get it before I leave looks like I will sell it in Thailand instead of the USA ( going rate only ~$350 here).

I should stock up on a couple ipad2, the grey market in Thailand is twice the cost, but how easy to find a buyer, is it possible to make a quick sale to a shop?

There's a trade-in promotion at the moment on HTC phones, you can trade in your old phone (they have a list of what they will accept) and you get a discount off one of their phones. The HTC Desire HD is currently 14,500baht reduced from 18,500baht as part of this deal. Jaymart and a few others have this promo, ask at your local call, I think it's called 'turn-in' promo.

I almost went for it but ended up getting the new 4gb Galaxy S, very happy with it. :)

Thanks for that :)

I would really like a 4inch + screen - super AMOLED like the one you just bought , can I ask how much you paid for it ?

and did you consider the Galaxy SL at 13,900 ฿.

One other ive looked at is the Samsung Google Nexus S , which has a super AMOLED screen and priced around 19,900 ฿ but it has no memory expansion

card slot .

TL :jap:

The Samsung Galaxy with 4gb (I added an 8gb sd card so now 12gb) internal memory is the SL which is the one I got but for 13,000, not 13,900. Great fone, no oled screen but super-clear lcd which is better than my wife's HTC Legend screen which is oled. Great fone for the $$$.

There's a trade-in promotion at the moment on HTC phones, you can trade in your old phone (they have a list of what they will accept) and you get a discount off one of their phones. The HTC Desire HD is currently 14,500baht reduced from 18,500baht as part of this deal. Jaymart and a few others have this promo, ask at your local call, I think it's called 'turn-in' promo.

I almost went for it but ended up getting the new 4gb Galaxy S, very happy with it. :)

I would really like a 4inch + screen - super AMOLED like the one you just bought , can I ask how much you paid for it ?

One other ive looked at is the Samsung Google Nexus S , which has a super AMOLED screen and priced around 19,900 ฿ but it has no memory expansion

card slot .

The Samsung Galaxy with 4gb (I added an 8gb sd card so now 12gb) internal memory is the SL which is the one I got but for 13,000, not 13,900. Great fone, no oled screen but super-clear lcd which is better than my wife's HTC Legend screen which is oled. Great fone for the $$$.

Thanks for the info, sounds a good price :) , what Android version is it running ? and how about any updates ?

Wow are the dell streaks expensive in Thailand. I'm visiting the states at the moment and just got new i5 sandy bridge laptop bundled with unlocked dell streak 5 for less than 20,000 TOTAL. The phone hasn't shipped yet, but if I get it before I leave looks like I will sell it in Thailand instead of the USA ( going rate only ~$350 here).

I should stock up on a couple ipad2, the grey market in Thailand is twice the cost, but how easy to find a buyer, is it possible to make a quick sale to a shop?

Can you provide any links? When I check the Dell website I see the Streak 5 for $549.99.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/mobile-streak/pd

I think the iPad 2 is pretty much back-ordered for ~ 4 weeks in the U.S. as of today.

Checked out a brand new Android phone a friend of mine has - very slick Samsung device, top of the line, gorgeous screen, thin, sleek, beautiful hardware.

But what's disappointing is that Android still doesn't have smooth transitions. This thing may be able to do all kinds of tricks - but do you think it can scroll a list with no lagging or stuttering? No - it can't. There is not much lag, and the stutter is very small but if you come from an iPhone where this was smooth as butter starting in revision 1 in 2007, it makes the phone feel ancient.

Clearly a software issue, the hardware is as good as the iPhone 4 if not better. Google needs to hire some animators or graphics people who know what they're doing, and improve their hardware acceleration.

Some things were smooth - starting and closing an app for example. But others had this slight stutter, like you can see the device can't quite keep up with the fingers so it's skipping some animation frames. It was the first thing I noticed when playing with the phone.

It would be nice to know the model?

However, this is a common lament. With a huge developer base it is so easy to add performance/UI enhancements that this issue is greatly ameliorated. For my Samsung Captivate there are ~ dozen or so custom ROMs which ~ double performance and eliminate any lag (one-click lag fix, memory management, animations, transitions). These also add new features and really cool animations and transitions.

I've never used an iPhone but have seen some side-by-sides on youtube. I'm pretty happy with how my modded phone would stand up against an iPhone. A friend has a 3GS and he has used my phone. He thinks that as far as the screen and performance my phone is much better than his.

I think that's the beauty, and perhaps the allure, of Android devices; the openness?

card slot .

The Samsung Galaxy with 4gb (I added an 8gb sd card so now 12gb) internal memory is the SL which is the one I got but for 13,000, not 13,900. Great fone, no oled screen but super-clear lcd which is better than my wife's HTC Legend screen which is oled. Great fone for the $$.

Thanks for the info, sounds a good price :) , what Android version is it running ? and how about any updates ?

It comes with Android 2.2 and have been told it will accept any future updates. I almost went for the Samsung Galaxy Cooper (Ace) but for only another 4000baht the specs of the Galaxy SL are much better.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3761&idPhone2=3724

I went down to MBK yest in search of a Galaxy S I-9000 second hand - No Have. Only new.

Galaxy S2? you must be kidding. We are running on dinosaur time here.

I need this phone.

You might consider the Samsung Captivate.

http://www.ysrshop.com/samsung?product_id=149

This is essentially a Galaxy S except better styling, case and a tri-band 3G radio: 850/1900/2100. (The Galaxy S does not have 850 Mhz.) Not sure how reputable this shop is, and this is a grey-market import but for 13,900 quite a steal, IMO. I paid $400 for mine in the U.S.

I went down to MBK yest in search of a Galaxy S I-9000 second hand - No Have. Only new.

Galaxy S2? you must be kidding. We are running on dinosaur time here.

I need this phone.

You might consider the Samsung Captivate.

http://www.ysrshop.com/samsung?product_id=149

This is essentially a Galaxy S except better styling, case and a tri-band 3G radio: 850/1900/2100. (The Galaxy S does not have 850 Mhz.) Not sure how reputable this shop is, and this is a grey-market import but for 13,900 quite a steal, IMO. I paid $400 for mine in the U.S.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate in 99%+ condition with original Samsung charger and USB cable (no smalltalk) I am selling for 12,000. It is an even bigger steal. I can meet buyer face to face in Bangkok in a public place. By the way, when MBK seller do have the Galaxy S 2nd hand the price is higher than the asking price for my Captivate and Galaxy S doesn't get 3G on True like the Captivate does.

Edited by jackbox

Can you provide any links? When I check the Dell website I see the Streak 5 for $549.99.

http://www.dell.com/...obile-streak/pd

I think the iPad 2 is pretty much back-ordered for ~ 4 weeks in the U.S. as of today.

Mine was $99 unlocked with laptop purchase, but the promotion has ended.

They have had it for various price in the past, just google

dell streak $199 unlocked no contract

dell streak $399 unlocked no contract

$449

http://configure.us....d=mobile-streak

$404

$449

$404

Just bought a red Streak from Dell shop in Chiang Mai Airport Plaza, 18900 bahts with 16Gb micro sd card. Impossible to find a case or silicone skin here, but found some on eBay.

I have to get used to Android, after 3 years with an iPhone. I can't make the internet tethering work so far, but very pleased with my purchase.

Phil

$449

$404

Just bought a red Streak from Dell shop in Chiang Mai Airport Plaza, 18900 bahts with 16Gb micro sd card. Impossible to find a case or silicone skin here, but found some on eBay.

I have to get used to Android, after 3 years with an iPhone. I can't make the internet tethering work so far, but very pleased with my purchase.

Phil

If you could post back how things go with the Streak after you have had it a bit longer , that would be great

Thanks

$449

$404

OK, that's the first generation Streak that they've been trying to unload for ages. I think you can still find a $199. version on their website. Curious what 3G radios you get? Also interested in a link to the notebooks. That price is unbelievably good.

Phil

Tethering requires Android 2.2 - Settings, Wireless and network, Mobile AP.

This may be a bit different than the iPhone world. Android tethering turns your phone into a 5-port MiFi device, allowing WiFi LAN clients to utilize the WAN (3G/2G) connection, rather than just using the phone as a modem (more akin to an aircard).

Edited by lomatopo

"If you could post back how things go with the Streak after you have had it a bit longer , that would be great

Thanks

TL "

After a few days with it, I must say I like it a lot. I bought it for the big screen and it is just fine. However font size in some applications is still very small for my dwindling eyesight, which makes it sometimes difficult to read.I also have to get used to the keyboard, which I find less practical to use than the one on my iPhone.

It will take more days and weeks before I fully master the machine and Android, but I am happy I took the plunge ...

Phil

Edited by pilou

"If you could post back how things go with the Streak after you have had it a bit longer , that would be great

Thanks

TL "

After a few days with it, I must say I like it a lot. I bought it for the big screen and it is just fine. However font size in some applications is still very small for my dwindling eyesight, which makes it sometimes difficult to read.I also have to get used to the keyboard, which I find less practical to use than the one on my iPhone.

It will take more days and weeks before I fully master the machine and Android, but I am happy I took the plunge ...

Phil

Phil

Thanks for the update , the fonts being still too small to read is some thing that would bother me too, the screen size is all so an important factor for me , I had a play with an iPhone yesterday and very impressed ,but sadly for me personally the screen size is a bit too small, now if there's ever a larger screen iPhone released then I would go wobbly at the knees :D

On Android phones there ate many free keyboards available in the Android Market. Some are better than iPhone keyboards. Just install one, activate it and select it as your input method.

For a larger screen go with a Galaxy S variant.

Sent from my Nexus One.

Edited by jackbox

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Cooper and I am very happy with it.

That makes two of us. too bad it doesn't support 850 Mhz for 3G.

This phones 3G frequencies thing is something that ive had to try and remember while researching the specifications of mobile phones sold in Thailand.

I think ive got this correct - 3G

True and DTAC - 850 Mhz

AIS - 900 Mhz

TOT - 2100 Mhz

May be we could start a new topic outlining the phones that are currently sold in Thailand or soon to be released in Thailand , that cover any current 3G frequencies :)

May be we could start a new topic outlining the phones that are currently sold in Thailand or soon to be released in Thailand , that cover any current 3G frequencies :)

That a little tricky as some phones come in two variants with different 3G radios. The BlackBerry Bold 9700 for example has two variants. Also the Nexus One comes in two variants. So just listing models doesn't help. On the BlackBerry you have to go into the settings and in the about screen it will say what 3G bands it supports. On the Nexus One you have to look at the part number under the battery to determine which 3G radio it has. For some reason most 3G phones in Thailand are 900 and 2100. Since AIS 3G is so limited, 900 Mhz isn't much use if you don't live in Chiang Mai. If you want True then you need a phone with 850 Mhz capability. All the phones sold, with the exception of the iPhone support 2100 Mhz, which is TOT3G.

That a little tricky as some phones come in two variants with different 3G radios. The BlackBerry Bold 9700 for example has two variants. Also the Nexus One comes in two variants. So just listing models doesn't help. On the BlackBerry you have to go into the settings and in the about screen it will say what 3G bands it supports. On the Nexus One you have to look at the part number under the battery to determine which 3G radio it has. For some reason most 3G phones in Thailand are 900 and 2100. Since AIS 3G is so limited, 900 Mhz isn't much use if you don't live in Chiang Mai. If you want True then you need a phone with 850 Mhz capability. All the phones sold, with the exception of the iPhone support 2100 Mhz, which is TOT3G.

I had a funny feeling it was not going to be a simple task :(

Am I right in assuming the radio frequencies of the specification below would be ok for Thailand :)

2011-04-06_2335.png