Best Android Smartphone In Thailand Now

tominbkk

Am I right in assuming the radio frequencies of the specification below would be ok for Thailand :)

The specs are showing two variants. One is 900 and 2100, which would be good for AIS or TOT3G. The other variant is showing 850, 1900 and 2100, which would be good for True, DTAC or TOT3G. Note that 800 and 850 refer to the same band. The industry couldn't decide on which one to call it, so you can see it referred to in both ways. They listed it both ways so people wouldn't be confused. Variant one is a dual band 3G radio and variant two is a tri band 3G radio. You have to verify which one you buy is correct for the network you want to get 3G service on. If you live in Bangkok stick with an 850 Mhz compatible device.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I right in assuming the radio frequencies of the specification below would be ok for Thailand :)

The specs are showing two variants. One is 900 and 2100, which would be good for AIS or TOT3G. The other variant is showing 850, 1900 and 2100, which would be good for True, DTAC or TOT3G. Note that 800 and 850 refer to the same band. The industry couldn't decide on which one to call it, so you can see it referred to in both ways. They listed it both ways so people wouldn't be confused. Variant one is a dual band 3G radio and variant two is a tri band 3G radio. You have to verify which one you buy is correct for the network you want to get 3G service on. If you live in Bangkok stick with an 850 Mhz compatible device.

Thanks jackbox . its appreciated

Ive been looking at this phone on YouTube and it looks not only a good looking phone, but it all so seems to be getting some decent reviews

qjgso.jpg

All the phones sold, with the exception of the iPhone support 2100 Mhz, which is TOT3G.

I am fairly certain that both the iPhone 3GS (HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100) and iPhone 4 support 2100 Mhz 3G (HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100).

I think people need to decide which 3G bands they require then look for phones/models which support those bands. The selection of 850 Mhz models, which would work on True here, is somewhat limited owing to the fact that only a few service providers, albeit some large ones like AT&T, are utilizing this 3G frequency. At this moment having a phone which supports 850/2100 Mhz 3G would be ideal for use in Thailand.

Edited by lomatopo

All the phones sold, with the exception of the iPhone support 2100 Mhz, which is TOT3G.

I am fairly certain that both the iPhone 3GS (HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100) and iPhone 4 support 2100 Mhz 3G (HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100).

I think people need to decide which 3G bands they require then look for phones/models which support those bands. The selection of 850 Mhz models, which would work on True here, is somewhat limited owing to the fact that only a few service providers, albeit some large ones like AT&T, are utilizing this 3G frequency. At this moment having a phone which supports 850/2100 Mhz 3G would be ideal for use in Thailand.

If you want a local brand both of the WellcoM 3G phones (A88 and A99) support both 850 and 2100 bands. Any phone made for AT&T USA will also if 3G. T-Mobile USA phones are iffy as sometimes they support 900, which is AIS. T-Mobile USA's primary 3G band is 1700, and as far as I know, they are the only carrier in the world using this band for 3G. They are now petitioning the FCC in the USA for another odd band to expand their system for LTE 4G service.

The stock Samsung Galaxy S phones sold in Thailand are 900 and 2100. I don't know why Samsung doesn't use the AT&T radio here. I think that would be better considered the only serious 3G players in Bangkok are True and TOT. I really wish AIS would expand their 3G coverage in Bangkok. Right now it is at Siam Paragon only (huh!). I have a Nexus One T-Mobile USA version and it is aching to do 3G on 900 Mhz (it supports 900, 1700 and 2100).

The stock Samsung Galaxy S phones sold in Thailand are 900 and 2100. I don't know why Samsung doesn't use the AT&T radio here.

AIS were the local launch partner for the Samsung Galaxy S here last year, bundling six months of unlimited 2G in with a purchase. So it should be obvious why AIS/Samsung chose NOT to offer a 3G 850 Mhz model. <_< (Note there is a Samsung Galaxy S i9000 (not a Captivate which is i897) model, i9000M which supports 850 Mhz 3G (Bell, Rogers, Sasktel all in Canada); Telus has the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate 3G+ (SGH-T959D) which supports 850 Mhz 3G.

True (, and AAPL; they did this in many markets, choosing the service provider with the least market share, typically #2, or #3 in a specific market to partner with) tied its 3G horse to the iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4, while offering a 850 Mhz Motorola Milestone, and a 850 Mhz Blackberry. Quad band aircards and MiFis are pretty easy to find.

Again, decide which networks you will use then look for the best phone which both supports those required frequencies and satisfies the bulk of your requirements. In some case you may have to source a grey-market model, or purchase in another country. Interestingly, or strangely(?), Dell Streaks come in 900/2100 or 850/1900/2100 versions, the latter for AT&T, but I've only seen 900/2100 Mhz versions here in Thailand.

The stock Samsung Galaxy S phones sold in Thailand are 900 and 2100. I don't know why Samsung doesn't use the AT&T radio here.

AIS were the local launch partner for the Samsung Galaxy S here last year, bundling six months of unlimited 2G in with a purchase. So it should be obvious why AIS/Samsung chose NOT to offer a 3G 850 Mhz model. <_< (Note there is a Samsung Galaxy S i9000 (not a Captivate which is i897) model, i9000M which supports 850 Mhz 3G (Bell, Rogers, Sasktel all in Canada); Telus has the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate 3G+ (SGH-T959D) which supports 850 Mhz 3G.

True (, and AAPL; they did this in many markets, choosing the service provider with the least market share, typically #2, or #3 in a specific market to partner with) tied its 3G horse to the iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4, while offering a 850 Mhz Motorola Milestone, and a 850 Mhz Blackberry. Quad band aircards and MiFis are pretty easy to find.

Again, decide which networks you will use then look for the best phone which both supports those required frequencies and satisfies the bulk of your requirements. In some case you may have to source a grey-market model, or purchase in another country. Interestingly, or strangely(?), Dell Streaks come in 900/2100 or 850/1900/2100 versions, the latter for AT&T, but I've only seen 900/2100 Mhz versions here in Thailand.

Hi ,can you please tell me - whats the UMTS ?

2011-04-07_1045.png

TL :jap:

UMTS is the 3G bands. So it will get 3G with True, TOT3G and DTAC in Thailand. But DTAC's 3G is currently so limited as to be virtually non-existant. Stick with True or TOT3G for 3G in Bangkok for now.

Edited by jackbox

UMTS is the 3G bands. So it will get 3G with True, TOT3G and DTAC in Thailand. But DTAC's 3G is currently so limited as to be virtually non-existant. Stick with True or TOT3G for 3G in Bangkok for now.

If I buy a new mobile phone with as many Thai 3G radio frequencies as I can , and just put in my normal old Dtac SIM card ive had since 2006 , is there any way when I am traveling that I can see on the phone if I am in a 3G reception area ?

Hi ,can you please tell me - whats the UMTS ?

That looks like a Dell Streak 5, which I have not seen here (in person; I've only seen Dell Streak 7s with 900/2100 in Dell shops). The Dell Streak 5 comes in just one "flavor" AFAIK: 850/1900/2100 Mhz for 3G.

DTAC 3G Trial

Edited by lomatopo

If I buy a new mobile phone with as many Thai 3G radio frequencies as I can , and just put in my normal old Dtac SIM card ive had since 2006 , is there any way when I am traveling that I can see on the phone if I am in a 3G reception area ?

If you have activated data packet (GPRS/Edge/3G) on your DTAC sim (usually have to call them to turn on unless an internet sim) the device will connect if service is available. But many Android devices sold outside of Thailand don't have the APN settings for the Thai carriers built in so you will need to add DTAC's settings manually, most likely. If the APN settings are in the phone and the phone logs into the system for packet data, the indicator will show and will have an "E" for Edge, "G" for GPRS (only in remote areas now), and either "3G" or "H" for 3G.

Below are all the settings for the four Thai GSM carriers.

Thai APN settings for Android

AIS

"AIS GPRS Internet"

mcc="520"

mnc="01"

apn="internet"

type=""

"AIS MMS"

mcc="520"

mnc="01"

apn="multimedia"

mmsproxy="203.170.229.34"

mmsport="8080"

mmsc="http://mms.mobilelife.co.th"

type="mms"

DTAC

"DTAC GPRS WEB"

mcc="520"

mnc="18"

apn="www.dtac.co.th"

type=""

"DTAC MMS"

mcc="520"

mnc="18"

apn="mms"

mmsproxy="203.155.200.133"

mmsport="8080"

mmsc="http://mms.dtac.co.th:8002"

type="mms"

TrueMove

"True GPRS Inet"

mcc="520"

mnc="99"

user="true"

password="true"

apn="internet"

type=""

"True GPRS MMS"

mcc="520"

mnc="99"

user="true"

password="true"

apn="mms"

mmsproxy="10.4.7.39"

mmsport="8080"

mmsc="http://mms.trueworld.net:8002"

type="mms"

TOT3G

"TOT3G internet"

mcc="520"

mnc="15"

apn="internet"

type=""

"TOT3G mms"

mcc="520"

mnc="15"

apn="mms"

mmsproxy="10.218.24.83"

mmsport="8080"

mmsc="http://mmsc.tot3g.net:8002"

type="mms"

Edited by jackbox

If you have activated data packet (GPRS/Edge/3G) on your DTAC sim (usually have to call them to turn on unless an internet sim) the device will connect if service is available. But many Android devices sold outside of Thailand don't have the APN settings for the Thai carriers built in so you will need to add DTAC's settings manually, most likely. If the APN settings are in the phone and the phone logs into the system for packet data, the indicator will show and will have an "E" for Edge, "G" for GPRS (only in remote areas now), and either "3G" or "H" for 3G.

Below are all the settings for the four Thai GSM carriers.

Thai APN settings for Android

AIS

"AIS GPRS Internet"

mcc="520"

mnc="01"

apn="internet"

type=""

"AIS MMS"

mcc="520"

mnc="01"

apn="multimedia"

mmsproxy="203.170.229.34"

mmsport="8080"

mmsc="http://mms.mobilelife.co.th"

type="mms"

DTAC

"DTAC GPRS WEB"

mcc="520"

mnc="18"

apn="www.dtac.co.th"

type=""

"DTAC MMS"

mcc="520"

mnc="18"

apn="mms"

mmsproxy="203.155.200.133"

mmsport="8080"

mmsc="http://mms.dtac.co.th:8002"

type="mms"

TrueMove

"True GPRS Inet"

mcc="520"

mnc="99"

user="true"

password="true"

apn="internet"

type=""

"True GPRS MMS"

mcc="520"

mnc="99"

user="true"

password="true"

apn="mms"

mmsproxy="10.4.7.39"

mmsport="8080"

mmsc="http://mms.trueworld.net:8002"

type="mms"

TOT3G

"TOT3G internet"

mcc="520"

mnc="15"

apn="internet"

type=""

"TOT3G mms"

mcc="520"

mnc="15"

apn="mms"

mmsproxy="10.218.24.83"

mmsport="8080"

mmsc="http://mmsc.tot3g.net:8002"

type="mms"

Wonderful You are

Google's Nexus S is finally available officially here, for 18,900 baht.

Objectively it should be the best Android phone available here.

No idea about supported 3G bands.

Wasn't TOT using 1900 Mhz spectrum, btw? Wasn't 2100 Mhz the frequency meant to be auctioned off last September in that grand Thai 3G fiasco?

Wasn't TOT using 1900 Mhz spectrum, btw? Wasn't 2100 Mhz the frequency meant to be auctioned off last September in that grand Thai 3G fiasco?

900, 2100, 1700.

The Nexus S is basically a Galaxy S with stock Gingerbread and no additional sd card slot. Not really anything new here.

TOT3G is the only carrier in Thailand licensed for 2100Mhz. They use both 1900 (old Thai Mobile system) and 2100 but you can only connect to them if your phone is a 3G capable phone. They use 2100 for downstream and 1900 for upstream. So if your phone needs to have 2100Mhz for the 3G to work.

TOT3G is the only carrier in Thailand licensed for 2100Mhz. They use both 1900 (old Thai Mobile system) and 2100 but you can only connect to them if your phone is a 3G capable phone. They use 2100 for downstream and 1900 for upstream. So if your phone needs to have 2100Mhz for the 3G to work.

Thanks.

Spec wise Nexus is the same as Galaxy but it looks and feels a bit different, thanks to a different design and vanilla Gingerbread. Galaxy S hasn't got the Gingerbread update yet, has it?

Until dual core phones reach here, Nexus is the best.

On the other hand, you are right that it doesn't have an SD slot so, objectively, Galaxy S has an advantage here but then it doesn't have a curved design and it doesn't get "pure" Google experience that should translate into better performance. I don't know what matters more, to be absolutely objective. Personally, I feel that Samsung's own interface, Touchwiz, is a bit cartoonish, and what about that old lag issue that hasn't been fully addressed yet, afaik?

The Nexus S is really just a Samsung Galaxy S, stripped down a bit, with a slightly different package and a T-Mo USA 3G radio 1700/2100 and 900. I'm honestly not sure it would work on the TOT 3G network here, and of course it wouldn't work on the True 3G network here. It was slapped together to have a hardware platform for Gingerbread (Android 2.3), which essentially has a new keyboard, which you can add to Android 2.2/2.1 phones if you want. Most of the other 2.3 features are application dependent, and really not in use now. I guess if you don't require 3G, or additional memory then the Nexus S might be a good phone for you. It was very unsuccessful, for obvious reasons, so you can probably find one quite cheaply in the U.S.?

The Nexus S is really just a Samsung Galaxy S, stripped down a bit

That is just unfair choice of language. How about "redesigned" instead?

Featurewise Gingerbread might not add much but the newer version of the OS optimized and tested on this specific hardware runs faster, or at least that was true when I looked at test results a few months ago.

Yeah, we don't get 3D Google maps here or any NFS checkouts, but the principle still stands - Nexus S is a newer phone than Galaxy even though utilizing the same internals, it's not just Google logo slapped on the back. And it looks very different, too.

T-Mobile is the smallest network in the US, isn't it? Hard to expect T-mobile only phone to rise to the top of sales charts.

What do you propose as the best Android phone at the moment?

FWIW, I have seen some rumors of a Nexus S version for AT&T, the Google Nexus S GT-I9020A, which might support 850/1900/2100 Mhz 3G. This would obviously be a better choice for those who plan to use True or TOT 3G.

I'd have to say that on paper, the WellcoM A99 has the best price/performance ratio and feature set for use here in Thailand. However, I do not have this model, nor have I ever even used one.

The Nexus S is a Galaxy S with no external sd card with the addition of HDMI output. It will work on TOT3G no problem and AIS 3G in Chiang Mai. Not True or DTAC 3G is available on the current version of this device.

Sorry for butting in.......... you might want to check out the LG Optimus 2X. It runs really fast in stock form w/o any hacking and mods. its still on Froyo 2.2.... but its really fast. Onlt down side is the batt drain which is pretty bad.

Anyway, I'll be heading for Phuket (Mai Khao & Khao Lak) in about a month from now and am checking up on the feasibility of getting 3G data services in that area. if you should know anything, appreciate if you can feedback.

Thanks

Anyway, I'll be heading for Phuket (Mai Khao & Khao Lak) in about a month from now and am checking up on the feasibility of getting 3G data services in that area. if you should know anything, appreciate if you can feedback.

Thanks

TrueMove may have 3G service in that area of phuket; check a retailer 3g map to confirm. Unlimited 3g for 650 baht (fair use).

Cat CDMA also, but you'd have to purchase a separate usb or mifi device. One of my friends said make sure you get the postpaid account, not prepaid (even if you prepay). That makes a difference in speed.

I think wireless wise, those are your two options.

Thanks so much for your advise. Will check those out when I'm there.

Cheers

Thanks

TrueMove may have 3G service in that area of phuket; check a retailer 3g map to confirm. Unlimited 3g for 650 baht (fair use).

Cat CDMA also, but you'd have to purchase a separate usb or mifi device. One of my friends said make sure you get the postpaid account, not prepaid (even if you prepay). That makes a difference in speed.

I think wireless wise, those are your two options.

Sorry for butting in.......... you might want to check out the LG Optimus 2X. It runs really fast in stock form w/o any hacking and mods. its still on Froyo 2.2.... but its really fast. Onlt down side is the batt drain which is pretty bad.

Thanks

If you do the "One Click Lag Fix" on any variant of the Galaxy S it will get a quadrant standard score of 1,800 or over. The lag fix doubles the performance of the phone. It is easy to apply to rooted phones. Just download OCLF 2.0 from the Android Market and follow the directions.

Edited by jackbox

My Galaxy S is on a modified Hardcore's kernel K13e. (Insane kernel). It is not really fast till overclocked. Even then, from stock quadrant score of about 980, this will get me till about 1500 only. Even on overclock to 1200Mhz, the batt will take a bad hit. OCLF is not compatible with Hardcore's K13e kernel.

My Galaxy Tab is flashed with "Overcome" kernel & ROM. On overclok to 1200Mhz & at "performance" setting in SetCPU app, I get quadrant scores of about 2400. It is definitely faster than my Galaxy S.... but unfortunately, there's no "Overcome" version of the kenel nor ROM for the Galaxy S. Its only for the Tab.

For my LG Optimus 2X, it's still in stock form. Just running the quadrant app...... the score I get is about 2700. It is very noticeable that the speed & smoothness is much better than even the 2 hacked & tweaked Galaxy devices. (Can't wait for Gingerbread release and for some expert to come up with a stable kernel & ROM.... this dual core will fly past 3000 easily)

Thanks

If you do the "One Click Lag Fix" on any variant of the Galaxy S it will get a quadrant standard score of 1,800 or over. The lag fix doubles the performance of the phone. It is easy to apply to rooted phones. Just download OCLF 2.0 from the Android Market and follow the directions.

Edited by dwoon

But LG Optimus 2X is not sold here yet, is it?

Also, Wellcom might offer the best bang for the baht but it's not the same as being the best phone.

With tech news from the West buzzing with Galaxy S2 and that super thin LG it's hard to get excited by Nexus which is about half a year late here, but I don't think there are any real alternatives in Thai shops right now.

Opps.... yeah... you might be right. I'm in Singapore and the LG2X was only launched here like 4 weeks ago.

I figure it should reach Thailand soon.

I was eyeing the Galaxy S2 .... but somehow, it never got launched & there's no news on when its coming here. With the LG available (plus the fact that my local telco plan was up for a new subsidised subscription), LG O2X it was........

But LG Optimus 2X is not sold here yet, is it?

Also, Wellcom might offer the best bang for the baht but it's not the same as being the best phone.

With tech news from the West buzzing with Galaxy S2 and that super thin LG it's hard to get excited by Nexus which is about half a year late here, but I don't think there are any real alternatives in Thai shops right now.

In some of the side-by-sides I've seen comparing the LG Optimus 2X and Samsung Galaxy S2 the Galaxy S2 simply blows the LG away. Of course comparing the LG's 4" LCD display to the S2's 4.3" Super AMOLED isn't really fair. There is simply no better display than that on the S2. Anyone who has used a Super AMOLED screen knows they could never downgrade to an LCD.

In addition, all of the specs I've seen on the LG say 900/2100 Mhz 3G dual-band only while the S2 has a Quad band 3G radio (850/900/1900/2100). So if you use, or plan to use True 3G, then steer clear of the LG.

It will be interesting to see which, if any, local service providers launch these new models, and what the local pricing might be. Some chatter has the S2 in the 23,500 - 24,990 range while the LG Optimus 2X will likely be sub-20,000.

I am not sure what "the best Android phone" is? That's a bit like asking what the best wine is, or what the best car is? I can say though that the Google Nexus S is not in my top 10 of recommended phones. For a mid-range model (~ 10,000) I'd recommend the Samsung Cooper, for price/performance the WellcoM A99, while my top recommendation continues to be the Samsung Captivate (grey market: ~ 16,000-ish, although I think I saw a link in one of these threads,to a local site that had it for 14,000). I do also like the Dell Venue, but have not seen any grey-market models here.

But isn't Captivate the same Galaxy S renamed for AT&T in the US? When it's brought here isn't it still locked to AT&T? Do you need to jailbreak it to make it work here?

I understand Nexus S 3G band concerns and it is very close to Galaxy S sold here which doesn't work on True's 3G either. I agree that arguing which one is better is a bit more like comparing wine or cars, but comparing Galaxy S to Galaxy Copper is simply not fair. Copper might be cheaper, that's the only advantage.

Nexus S doesn't need any lag fixes and is faster than stock Galaxy S, and has a rather unique design.

So it's either these two or HTC Desire, and I think Nexus wins this by a long nose.