What Is Essential To Being A "Buddhist"?

kropotkin

I have wondered about this for a long time.

What is essential for being a buddhist?

For christians - but that is not the topic - i would think: the bible, if you reject the bible, then you are not a christian / if you accept the bible, then you can call yourself a christian.

But to call yourself a buddhist?

What MUST you accept? What MUST you reject?

And let us not get into arguments about right or wrong, let us just stay with the facts.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your assumptions about Christianity are not really valid.

Buddhism is another kettle of fish entirely.

Personally I would say that the 3 jewels are the only absolute requirement (taking refuge) ... other than that other's might say different things. Some people who are adherents only on a philosophical level might say that nothing is required.

BTW --- "just the facts" with religion? Hmmmmmmm

Edited by jdinasia

The four noble truths.

1. The Nature of Suffering (or Dukkha):
    "This is the noble truth of suffering: birth is suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair are suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is suffering; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering."[3][4]
  2. Suffering's Origin (Dukkha Samudaya):
    "This is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: it is this craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there, that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination."[3][4]
  3. Suffering's Cessation (Dukkha Nirodha):
    "This is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering: it is the remainderless fading away and cessation of that same craving, the giving up and relinquishing of it, freedom from it, nonreliance on it."[3][4]
  4. The Path (Dukkha Nirodha Gamini Patipada Magga) Leading to the Cessation of Suffering:
    "This is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of suffering: it is the Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration."[5][6]

Your assumptions about Christianity are not really valid.

Buddhism is another kettle of fish entirely.

Personally I would say that the 3 jewels are the only absolute requirement (taking refuge) ... other than that other's might say different things. Some people who are adherents only on a philosophical level might say that nothing is required.

BTW --- "just the facts" with religion? Hmmmmmmm

Thanks for your answer.

But could you clarify your comment about the 3 jewels?

And your comment about NOTHING is required according to some?

And yes, i am looking for facts, not in the sense of scientific truth, but in the sense of what to believe / not to believe if you want to call yourself a buddhist.

Are reincarnation / meditation / non materialism / ..... essential?

Edited by camerata
Off-topic comments about Christianity deleted.

Like I said above, my personal take on Buddhism is that Taking Refuge is in fact requisite, other people may have other opinions. The very nature of Buddhism suggests that the rules you are attempting to apply may not be true for all adherents and that some people approach Buddhism as a Philosophy only, making it more obscure.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/takingrefuge/a/takingrefuge.htm

To become a Buddhist is to take refuge in the Three Jewels, also called the Three Treasures. The Three Jewels are the

Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha.

The formal ceremony of Ti Samana Gamana (Pali), or "taking the three refuges," is performed in nearly all schools of Buddhism. However, anyone who sincerely wants to follow the Buddha's path may begin that commitment by reciting these lines:

I take refuge in the Buddha.

I take refuge in the Dharma.

I take refuge in the Sangha.

Edited by jdinasia
Comment on Christianity deleted.

The four noble truths.

1. The Nature of Suffering (or Dukkha):
    "This is the noble truth of suffering: birth is suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair are suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is suffering; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering."[3][4]
  2. Suffering's Origin (Dukkha Samudaya):
    "This is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: it is this craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there, that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination."[3][4]
  3. Suffering's Cessation (Dukkha Nirodha):
    "This is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering: it is the remainderless fading away and cessation of that same craving, the giving up and relinquishing of it, freedom from it, nonreliance on it."[3][4]
  4. The Path (Dukkha Nirodha Gamini Patipada Magga) Leading to the Cessation of Suffering:
    "This is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of suffering: it is the Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration."[5][6]

Thank you.

Truth 1 i understand (i think) and i came to that same conclusion basing myself on western filosofy - psychology - sociology - common sense

Truth 2 i have a problem with: i like pleasure, and i try to let others have pleasure too - within limits and without messing things up for others

Truth 3 is what i hope to attain when i die, but not before - when i die i hope to be able to say: i had a good life, and now it ends

Truth 4 i do not understand - who decides what is right? the emperor or the slave? Do they both live by the same truth?

At the most basic level, "Buddhist" just means a follower of the Buddha. To what extent a person follows the Buddha's teachings is up to the individual. There's no official minimum requirement and I doubt anyone would ever ask you to prove you're a Buddhist.

To avoid misunderstandings:

Like so many people i am interested in buddhism.

And in many other things.

I am looking for guidance in putting the first steps.

Many others - i am sure - are in the same situation.

To me, the first steps would be: understanding the essentials, explained to me in everyday language.

No need for details, or subtle thoughts, no formal references to writings or revered people.

Only essentials.

So that i can decide whether or not to continue my search in this direction.

Thanks for the effort.

At the most basic level, "Buddhist" just means a follower of the Buddha. To what extent a person follows the Buddha's teachings is up to the individual. There's no official minimum requirement and I doubt anyone would ever ask you to prove you're a Buddhist.

Sorry, but that sounds like i can believe whatever i want.

And of course, i am free to believe whatever i want.

But i am looking for guidance.

I guess i am looking for a shot cut? I do not want to invent hot water again.....

Can you tell me: What do all buddhists have in common?

Next i will be able to decide whether that can apply to me.

Or to search in a different direction.

Please believe i am searching for a direction in my life, i am not being argumentative.

Again I would suggest that Buddhists do NOT have to have all that much in common past taking refuge, and even then the people that look at it as a philosophy often don't do that.

There is no short cuts in Buddhism, it is about finding your way. The Buddha's teachings are useful for shortening the way but understanding them and applying them is the work of an individual .. and the work of a lifetime (or more :) )

Again I would suggest that Buddhists do NOT have to have all that much in common past taking refuge, and even then the people that look at it as a philosophy often don't do that.

There is no short cuts in Buddhism, it is about finding your way. The Buddha's teachings are useful for shortening the way but understanding them and applying them is the work of an individual .. and the work of a lifetime (or more :) )

The Teaching of the Buddha is a roadmap to understand your own life, to understand the Dhamma, the Law of Nature. You have the freedom to use skillfully this roadmap or not. More you follow this roadmap more you can see by your own experience if it is a good one.

Why don't you just tell us what you want to achieve in life and we'll tell you if Buddhism can help you? What is it you want a short cut to?

The Teaching of the Buddha is a roadmap to understand your own life, to understand the Dhamma, the Law of Nature. You have the freedom to use skillfully this roadmap or not. More you follow this roadmap more you can see by your own experience if it is a good one.

I do not doubt tat these 2 posts are very clear to buddhists.

But to an outsider - f ex me - they are not clear at all.

Of course, you might say "come inside and learn'.

But there are so many doors that i could walk in.

Could you say something - in layman's terms - to make me walk into THIS door?

It isn't my desire to get you to walk in any door. Your path is your own and your choices are your own. Interested? --- start reading. Not interested? Keep looking.

I have no attachment to spreading Buddhism, or to encouraging people to take a path that might not be meant for them. I have a duty to help people in ways that I can if I see that it will not interfere with what they need to do. If I am unsure, I wait.

Nobody is here to hold your hand because enlightenment in an individual's decision.

In short --- read. read. read. read. You can start with the link about taking refuge that was posted above .... or anywhere else you want to start. Then when you are ready try meditating or asking a specific question, but realize there may not be ONE answer to a specific question. There might not even be any answer.

Why don't you just tell us what you want to achieve in life and we'll tell you if Buddhism can help you? What is it you want a short cut to?

i think you misunderstood what i said about shortcut.

my fault.

I meant, i do not want to go searching for what could be the fundamentals of buddhism, surely these fundamentals must have been described before,

If i can read them - and if they are written in layman's terms - i can make up my mind about them.

And what i want to achieve in life?

I have about 10 years left.

I want to find peace with myself, i think that is difficult but theoretically possible.

Maybe also peace with the world - but i doubt that i will ever accept the unjustice in the world, be it international politics or the unjustice done to my next door neighbours.

And that is exactly my dilemma towards the little i know about buddhism:

Buddhism to me seems to have valuable teachings about inner peace, (detaching one self from materialism) but at the same time buddhism seems to accept all the wrong (social injustice) in the world.

And living in a buddhist country, i see so very few good examples of real (?) buddhism.

This might be worth a look ----

http://buddhism.abou...ddha_Taught.htm

The assumption on the part of the author is that there are many things that all Buddhists believe. That again does not deal with those that approach Buddhism as a philosophy.

I have other material but you have to start somewhere, after that, ... you need to just keep going. I understand your attachment to 'inner peace', but that attachment itself can get in your way. Example --- in meditation one day you reach a place of true peace and instead of meditating in the future (for the sake of meditation), you start meditating chasing that feeling again. It becomes like a drug addict that is forever trying to relive that first "high".

One book that is a good read and useful somewhat anecdotally considering we are in Thailand .. is Phra Farang

BTW --- whilst there are some activist Buddhists --- (in social-welfare, and ecology etc), Many people would suggest that this shows too much attachment.

edit --- from one of the links on the page I put the link of above ....

Here is a basic introduction to Buddhism.

What Is Buddhism?

Buddhism is a religion based on the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama, who lived about 26 centuries ago in what is now Nepal and northeastern India. He came to be called "the Buddha," which means "awakened one," after he experienced a profound realization of the nature of life, death and existence. In English, the Buddha was said to be enlightened, although in Sanskrit it is bodhi, "awakened."

In the remaining years of his life, the Buddha traveled and taught. However, he didn't teach people what he had realized when he became enlightened. Instead, he taught people how to realize enlightenment for themselves. He taught that awakening comes through one's own direct experience, not through beliefs and dogmas.

Edited by jdinasia

I think the main reason some replies have come up with a wishy washy all inclusive version of what it means to be a Buddhist is because a large portion of asian Buddhists are Buddhists simply because they were born Buddhists and participate in it mostly for social, cultural, or superstitious reasons. I don't think we need to allow for that in a definition as the original teaching don't encourage that approach and I doubt anybody thinking of becoming a Buddhist would either.

Then there are some western Buddhists who are either more new age types or are only interested in the psychological or meditation practices.

Rocky is right the four noble truths is the core teaching, one must have an awareness that there is a pervasive unsatisfactoriness (often translated as suffering) in ones experience of life and ones relationship with experience to even want to start.

Buddhism is primarily a practice not a set of beliefs, it's a methodology to train, awaken, and purify the processes of the mind. Nobody else is mentioned it but I think it's essential to spend some time doing meditation retreats, this is an opportunity for you to observe the mind in a controlled environment without any distractions or escape. It doesn't take long to start to realise where this sense of unsatisfactoriness is coming from.

From there you start seeing the value in implementing the eightfold path in your life. You also see the value in starting to contemplate experience in terms of the 3 characteristics impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, not self. To train the mind and start awakening to a different way of relating to experience.

I've never much seen the relevance of taking refuge as the measure of being a Buddhist, it's not about a conversion experience or reciting a ritual.

So for me the definition of a Buddhist is someone committed to following the methodology of awakening using the tools and methodology that the Buddha taught.

Taking refuge is the formal way to become a Buddhist. How can you call yourself a follower of the Buddha if you do not have confidence in him and his teachings.

The Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path are essentials which contain every thing of importance. The 'Right' type of actions are not laws laid down by some god, but are seen to be positive and leading to the relief from suffering, by the wise.

The old saying about 'the majority are usually right...' is false.....the Buddha said that the number of wise can be counted like the number of horns on a cow....whilst the unwise are like the number of hairs.

When asked if the teachings of other teachers could lead one to nibbana he replied....yes, if their teaching contain the 4NT and 8FP...which of course none others do.

The most profound teachings of his dhamma are non-self, and the Dependant Origination cycle, which no other religions contain.

There many schools of Buddhism contained in the main Mahayana/Theravada camps, so an answer to your question from me would not be in accord with some others who also call themselves Buddhist.

Personally I believe that the two fundamental tenets of Buddhism are Rebirth and Karma, both of which are related and intertwined so that one cannot really believe one and not the other.

Many Westerners who call themselves Buddhists refuse to accept these two, and take the scientific standpoint that they are unprovable. They like to cherry-pick the dhamma and choose to accept what they are comfortable with, or is easy to practice.

Buddhism is all about practice, not just study, and the main practice required is keeping the five precepts and meditation...... vipassana or mindfulness which is the Buddha's method to reach nibbana.

Many Westerners who call themselves Buddhists refuse to accept these two (rebirth & karma) , and take the scientific standpoint that they are unprovable. They like to cherry-pick the dhamma and choose to accept what they are comfortable with, or is easy to practice.

There are also many westerners who approach rebirth & karma in the way the Buddha taught.

That is to explore them with an open mind until self experience removes any doubt.

As long as you follow the eightfold path, keeping an open exploring mind should not impede your path.

Buddhism is all about practice, not just study, and the main practice required is keeping the five precepts and meditation...... vipassana or mindfulness which is the Buddha's method to reach nibbana.

In my opinion, this is the biggest cause of failure to grow successfully as a Buddhist.

If followers could overcome their mental obstacles, regular practice is the key.

Edited by rockyysdt

I was very interested in this thread but am now totally confused and have absolutely no idea what anyone is talking about.

Refuge, noble truths (can't decipher them), eightfold paths, enlightenment, etc etc.

The words and explanations mean nothing to me. What is a guy to do, sit down and think of the inner self or something, whatever that means. I don't know whether finding enlightenment is to meditate about my next golf game or when to go and have a beer. I don't know what enlightenment means or how to even start the search.

Would it be possible for someone to explain, to a complete numbskull what it is you are talking about.

What is a path to enlightenment

How do I even know if I'm even thinking of the right thing whilst searching, will I have a eureka moment?

Are there certain things like, be kind to fellow man, don't covet money, riches, neighbours wife etc, don't eat dead cow, only masturbate once a week etc.

Is there any guidance or path to find such things?

I'm totally confused as what has been described so far means absolutely nothing to me.

That's the way it should be, but yet we have someone in our very forum who frequently tells a couple of us that we are not Buddhists.

In one of my conversations with a monk in Thailand many years ago, I asked what I had to do to become a Buddhist (as in a Catholic has an affirmation ceremony). His reply was very simple -- "If you think like a Buddhist and act like a Buddhist, then you are a Buddhist." Of course, that answer is really too simple, because not everyone agrees as to how a Buddhist thinks and how a Buddhist acts.

Sorry, but that sounds like i can believe whatever i want.

And of course, i am free to believe whatever i want.

But i am looking for guidance.

I guess i am looking for a shot cut? I do not want to invent hot water again.....

Please believe i am searching for a direction in my life, i am not being argumentative.

The questions you're asking are very intriguing. They parallel some of my own questions that I haven't quite "solved" in the past 27 years. I think one thing we must "get over" is the kind of thinking that follows those of us who are, at some time or another, or to some extent or another, former or current Catholics. No one is going excommunicate us from Buddhism if we don't follow a certain profession of faith. I think a major difference between Buddhism and many sects of Christianity is that often Christians are out to preach to you "their truth", whether you want to hear it or not. That's extremely rare in Buddhism. There is more a sense that concepts will reveal themselves when you begin searching for the truth. During my first trip to Thailand in 1985 I visited a family in Chiang Mai who were relatives of a Thai friend in America. They took me to a Buddhist temple so they could show me what they do when they go to temple. But there was not even the slightest hint of "you should do this." It was more a courtesy to a guest, with no hint of proselytizing.

That's really very well put.

I was very interested in this thread but am now totally confused and have absolutely no idea what anyone is talking about.

Refuge, noble truths (can't decipher them), eightfold paths, enlightenment, etc etc.

The words and explanations mean nothing to me. What is a guy to do, sit down and think of the inner self or something, whatever that means. I don't know whether finding enlightenment is to meditate about my next golf game or when to go and have a beer. I don't know what enlightenment means or how to even start the search.

Would it be possible for someone to explain, to a complete numbskull what it is you are talking about.

How do I even know if I'm even thinking of the right thing whilst searching, will I have a eureka moment?

Are there certain things like, be kind to fellow man, don't covet money, riches, neighbours wife etc, don't eat dead cow, only masturbate once a week etc.

I'm totally confused as what has been described so far means absolutely nothing to me.

Part of the difficulting in explaining Buddhism is that often it is undertaken from the point of view that Buddhism is simple; there is an assumption for many people that Buddhism is simple. It is not - and the informed responses here give an indication that it is not simple. For example, you want to walk to the store and buy a news paper, and so this is what you do, you simply walk to the store, buy the paper, and return home. Simple, right?

Not so fast. Actually, an immense amount occurred prior to your trip to the store but you didn't notice or think about it. First, you had to have a place to live. In order for that to happen, you have a job. In order for you to have a job, you went to school, etc. So, before you even get out the door to buy the paper, an immense amount of activity has occurred that you don't notice or think about. The example continues. Let's say you live on the fifth floor of your building. Well, where did that building come from? There was an immense amount of activity prior to your arrival in your apartment: someone earned the money, bought the land, planned and constructed the building, etc., before you even got there. Then there's the walk to the store which includes the street. A city had to plan and build those streets; the cars were invented, manufactured, sold, driven... And the store itself, a 7-11 perhaps. 7-11 is an US corporation started decades ago. So much went into getting that 7-11 up the street from your flat in order for you to buy your newspaper.

Taken together, the totality of your experience just buying a newspaper is quite staggering, but you didn't notice or think about it.

It is the same way with your mind, according to Buddhism. We want everything to be simple and everyone believes the mind is simple. But, it is not, this is why there are over 1,000 books, sutras, which are the direct teachings of the Buddha. If you've ever spent time looking through the sutras, you'll see they are quite detailed, covering a vast amount of topics, much of it very unfamiliar knowledge. The Buddha taught so much and we know so little about it. Buddha explained everything, completely. The sutras contain all the answers to all of life's problems and mysteries but they are so different from what we want or believe that they go unnoticed. Here is where all the terminology is comming from: suffering, enlightenment, karma, noble path, right livelihood, etc. Because, once you begin to study Buddhism, it is no longer the simple undertaking you assumed it to be.

This is where meditation comes in, and this is why 'simplicity", "calm", "peacefulness", "relaxation" become a central part of the discussion. In order for us to recognize that our experience is quite complicated and is the real cause of our problems, it is necessary to slow the mind down and observe experience and see how it does this. Meditation, breathing, yoga, relaxation are intended to slow the mind down so that we can understand our experience. Again, like the walk to the store, we missed so much of what was really happening. It's the same with our experience - because we are so busy with every day life: making money, having fun, judging, liking, hating, etc., that we don't know about our minds.

Once we can see how we cause our own problems, then we apply the Buddhist teaching which will make our experience be a source of happiness, not problems. This is exactly why there is "right effort, right thought", etc. The word "right" means "correct", the type of thought or effort that will lead to happiness. To answer "who says what is right?", the answer is: the Buddha says what is right, or wrong. This is why we call ourselves Buddhists, because we follow his teachings. It is not open-ended and takes a certain amount of dedication and faith.

So, one must be in the day-to-day experience to understand it. But, one must also detach from it, watching the experience at the same time. It's a dicotomy that one must learn to live with and even encourage. It's called "mind training" and mediation, breathing, visualization, yogas are all mind training.

Finally, the most important aspects of Buddhist experience can't be explained. Or, they can only be explained in ways that don't make rational sense. "Form is emptiness, emptiness is form. Emptiness is no other than form, form is not other than emptiness" for starters but certainly there are many, many more such teachings which can only be understood through examining experience and the mind through meditation, introspective techniques, and mind training, all of which are essential to Buddhism. They usually require a Buddhist master's explanation and guidance to be most effective.

sorry you are confused, but the Buddha did state that the dhamma is deep and not easily understood by the many. Let me try and explain...

meditation is not about sitting and thinking deeply about anything....but actually stopping thinking. Usually our heads are full of noise, thoughts, daydreaming, and we often distract ourselves from silence by playing music etc. If we can just still all the noise and observe our own minds, then we might be suprised to gain wisdom into how things actually are.

The path to enlightenment is the path which the Buddha gave to us to guide us during our life. The dhamma is his teachings which is like a map, how to get to nibbana (enlightenment). Once we understand how to practice (have a good map) we can start walking (practice) and no longer need to go looking for more maps (books).

During practice one might very well get a 'eureka' moment when one gains insight into reality.

Taking refuge is when we decide that the Buddha and his teachings (Dhamma) and the community of monks and followers (Sangha) seem to be the best way to understand about life and how to live to avoid or alleviate suffering. A Christian takes refuge in god and places themself in god's care...we do the same for the triple gem (three jewels... Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha). The Buddha is not our version of god, but our teacher, in whom we have confidence.

The Four Noble Truths are the cornerstone of the Buddha's dhamma, and explain why we continue to suffer and how we can escape it.

The Eightfold Path is the fourth Noble Truth...how to live and practice to reach Nibbana...the ultimate escape from suffering.

The Eightfold path covers all the five precepts and more.... which livelihoods to avoid...what is correct meditation.

That's the way it should be, but yet we have someone in our very forum who frequently tells a couple of us that we are not Buddhists.

Well, there is no minimum requirement if you want to call yourself a Buddhist, but we all have some opinion on the minimum requirements needed to get results.

If it bothers you so much when a true believer in classical or traditional Buddhism expresses his opinion (it's only an opinion, after all), I'd suggest just mentally put an "IMO" in front of what he says. That would be the Buddhist way to solve the problem... IMO.

They must all contend with their own minds.

Most will fall by the wayside in terms of their journey as they eventually give in to their clever incessant thoughts.

This is why not many achieve enlightenment and have probably recycled in samsara for eons.

The secret is to overcome the constant thoughts blocking your resolve to practice, and to use constant mindfulness to observe without attachment.

You can still have fun but don't become obsessed or addicted (attachment) whilst ensuring you observe the five precepts.

That is you can't have fun at the expense of others and you can't discern whilst using intoxicants.

In time practice of mindfulness and concentration will bring about natural wisdom.

As you return to breathe during concentration, so do you return to mindfulness of your precepts when returning to awareness.

Edited by rockyysdt