Thai protesters urge government to solve border dispute with Cambodia

News_Editor

Thai protesters urge government to solve border dispute with Cambodia

2011-01-30 04:39:23 GMT+7 (ICT)

BANGKOK (BNO NEWS) -- Activists on Saturday continued to urge Thailand's government to resolve a dispute over an ancient temple which sits on the border with Cambodia, MCOT online news reported.

The 'Yellow Shirt' activists from the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), who have been rallying near Thailand's Government House for the fifth day, are demanding the government to scrap the existing memorandum of understanding (MOU) signed between both countries in 2000 to settle the disputed border areas.

The activists said they will not disperse unless Thailand withdraws from the UNESCO World Heritage Committee, revoke three memorandums of understanding signed by the Thai-Cambodian Joint Boundary Commission (JBC), and eject Cambodian soldiers and villagers in border areas the group claims belong to Thailand.

Tensions between both countries increased after a Cambodian national flag was flying above the entrance of the Kaew Sikha Khiri Sawara temple near Preah Vihear temple, which is located in the disputed border area.

PAD is also calling for the release of two out of seven Thais who were arrested by Cambodian soldiers on charges of violating Cambodian territory on December 29 and are due to appear for a court trial on Tuesday. Party spokesman Panthep Puapongphan said they all were apprehended in Thai territory.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, now attending the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, said in a telephone interview that the border problem with Cambodia must be carried out by peaceful manner, especially as both countries are members of ASEAN - the Association of Southeast Asian Nations - and his government must uphold the country's benefits as most important. 

Cambodia and Thailand have been involved in the border dispute since Cambodia's Preah Vihear temple was enlisted as World Heritage Site on July 7, 2008. Thailand claims ownership of 1.8 square miles (4.6 sq km) of scrub next to the temple. Periodic clashes between Cambodian and Thai soldiers have resulted in the deaths of troops on both sides.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-30

Cambodian Flag still not brought down on the disputed soil

Reporter : NUPPOL SUVANSOMBUT

BANGKOK, 30 January 2011 (NNT)-Deputy Prime Minister for Security Suthep Tuegsuban said he is ready to talk to the Yellow Shirts hoping it would ease the situation surrounding the territorial issue between Thailand and Cambodia.

The Cambodian flag erected in the disputed area has sparked anger on the Thai side. To solve the problem, Mr. Suthep has coordinated with the 2nd Army Region Commander to talk with the Cambodia side about the removal of the flag.

However, he further added that he would like to inform Somdech Hun Sen, the Cambodian Prime Minister, that the Thai government is not involved in the Yellow Shirt rally in anyway.

Concerning road closures due to the rally, Mr Suthep said the government is expected to take a few more days to put a plan into action, hoping the Yellow Shirt would also comply with the government’s request not to cause any further traffic gridlocks.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-01-30 footer_n.gif

Yellow Shirts will continue the rally until Gov responds to their demands

BANGKOK, 30 January 2011 (NNT)-Major General Jamlong Srimuang, a core leader of the People’s Alliance for Democracy, has confirmed that a flag erected at Keaw-Sikkha-Keereesawara Temple is in fact a Cambodian national flag not the one normally seen at a fun fair as claimed by the Deputy Prime Minister.

Maj Gen Jamlong also said following a report on a lawsuit against the Yellow Shirts by Deputy Prime Minister for Security Suthep Tuagsuban that the government should focus on border dispute instead of trying to disperse the protesters.

He added that the Yellow Shirts will gather again even if they have to leave by court order.They will continue to protest until the government fulfills their wishes. Maj Gen Jamlong further stated that the Yellow Shirts have not received the visit from Mr. Panich Vikitset, a Democrat MP, who claimed to have met several political groups regarding the demarcation issue.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-01-30 footer_n.gif

Please help me understand this better.

I donot understand how it is possible for Thailand to simply withdraw from the agreement they signed in 2000. I cannot comprhend how PAD sees how this can be done.If it is easy to just withdraw from signed agreements why have them in the first place?

Please help me understand this better.

I donot understand how it is possible for Thailand to simply withdraw from the agreement they signed in 2000. I cannot comprhend how PAD sees how this can be done.If it is easy to just withdraw from signed agreements why have them in the first place?

The gospel according to PAD seems to be that Thai law has sole juristiction in both Thai and trans-national affairs. As I rhetorically asked elsewhere, why stop at this pile of stones on the Thai-Cambodian border when great tracts of Thai territory were ceded to the colonial French and British?

Good thing you don't have to pass a compentey test to protest.

What they are doing is advocating for war.

I will concede the point that they are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But are they really that stupid to think the Army can just move in and push all the people out of the area including the Cambodian army with out a military response.

I somehow think that "solving" the border problem has little to do with listening and enacting any of the PAD's demands. Unless of course, if you believe that "solving" the issue entails war.

The activists said they will not disperse unless Thailand withdraws from the UNESCO World Heritage Committee, revoke three memorandums of understanding signed by the Thai-Cambodian Joint Boundary Commission (JBC), and eject Cambodian soldiers and villagers in border areas the group claims belong to Thailand

In fact, instead of insisting that the government "eject" soldiers and villagers, I would like to propose that they go do it themselves, since they appear to care so much about the issue.

How can you negotiate with a group insisting that you as the government go and start a war on their behalf? Meanwhile Abhisit was in Davos trying to get automotive FDI into the country (with these idiots tying his hands behind his back), and some pretty important Thai businesses continue to invest and operate in Cambodia.

Many large Thai companies have invested in Cambodia, including PTT, ThaiBev, Mitr Pol, CP, SCG and Imperial Group.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/07/29/business/business_30079179.php

A few square kilometres will not be allowed to jeopardise future business, no matter how hard the PAD bang their drums. Just look at the company names. These people will not let it happen. Never, never, never.

Edited by Thai at Heart