Sunday Telegraph Chiang Mai Article

HarryPalmer

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Puuuurrrrrrrfection!

A 5 star piece about 5 star peace at 5 star prices.

Except that the writer here wouldn't be paying, himself, for more than an odd beer here and there.

Long may we have such talented writers, skating swiftly and smoothly over the veneer of society and helping pull in the higher end tourists this economy so urgently needs.

But pause a moment if you will. Remember that old phrase 'trickle down'?

I just hope the incoming wealth which might be stimulated by all this may somehow benefit those less well off fellow humans whom he must have seen, but somehow prudently didn't mention.

Call me an old cynic (and some will find worse terms, of course), but I DID think that the occasional elderly disabled man in the Night Bazaar, 9 year old midnight flower seller or 6 year old Burmese beggar on the bridge might JUST have added a little 'colour'......

Doncha think?

I don't think Kevin Hunt will mind the bit of advertising right at the beginning.

Obviously not. Posting as redelion, he made several comments on the telegraph comment page.

neat way of getting round his ban. instead of posting on thaivisa, he posts on a url that is referred to on thaivisa!! clever

well done, kevin

Edited by caf

I don't think Kevin Hunt will mind the bit of advertising right at the beginning.

Obviously not. Posting as redelion, he made several comments on the telegraph comment page.

neat way of getting round his ban

You will be surprised how many tourists will now look up The Red Lion, in the hope of one of the chicks 30 years younger. wink.gif

An insult, those chicks are 40 years younger at least!

Edited by uptheos

IF they keep publishing this type of dribble in Australia it only confirms to the traveling public with disposable dollars the (Grey Ghosts) That even though Thailand might sound nice it still has no matter where you go all these dirty old men and young prostitute girls lusting after each other surrounding you.

So its safer to go to the Gold Coast and sip their G & T's as they watch the women dressed in sheets & men with tea towels on their heads walk down the street.

No disgusting sex scenes there.

Little do they know about the bar scenes in other parts of SE Asia like Jakarta which make Chiang Mai look like the Vatican (opps maybe wrong choice,there are lots of catholic priests at the Vatican? )

IF they keep publishing this type of dribble in Australia it only confirms to the traveling public with disposable dollars the (Grey Ghosts) That even though Thailand might sound nice it still has no matter where you go all these dirty old men and young prostitute girls lusting after each other surrounding you.

So its safer to go to the Gold Coast and sip their G & T's as they watch the women dressed in sheets & men with tea towels on their heads walk down the street.

Little do they know about the bar scenes in other parts of SE Asia like Jakarta which make Chiang Mai look like the Vatican (opps maybe wrong choice,there are lots of catholic priests at the Vatican? )

Not like the Aussie mining towns eh mate?

Dirty young strong men and old prostitutes surrounding you. whistling.gif

I know the bar scenes in Jakarta, but considering as a city it's the cesspit of the world I don't go there.

Lots of opportunity for confessing in Chiang Mai

Edited by uptheos

Not like the Aussie mining towns eh mate?

Dirty young strong men and old prostitutes surrounding you. whistling.gif

I know the bar scenes in Jakarta, but considering as a city it's the cesspit of the world I don't go there.

Lots of opportunity for confessing in Chiang Mai

I had the misfortune of working in Jakarta for a while, the city is a cesspit and the bar scene keeps up with the city.

You have obviously been out of OZ for a while.

The mention of the Vatican was not related to confessing but to all the court cases and disclosures that have been happening in OZ about the antics of priests and their young parishioners

Howsat for being PC in explaining things?

While the names of some of the places in the story are familiar, the description of Chiang Mai by Mr. Richardson is quite the opposite. I didn't hear anything about how there is a vibrant street market somewhere in the city every night of the week. Or the fascinating cultural or musical events that happen throughout the city. Perhaps Mr. Richardson was in a different city and not the Chiang Mai that I live in.

While the names of some of the places in the story are familiar, the description of Chiang Mai by Mr. Richardson is quite the opposite. I didn't hear anything about how there is a vibrant street market somewhere in the city every night of the week. Or the fascinating cultural or musical events that happen throughout the city. Perhaps Mr. Richardson was in a different city and not the Chiang Mai that I live in.

Quite possible he wasn't in Chiang Mai at all but merely re-hashing some old article he has been reading from three or four years ago. Lets face it; not a lot has changed in the Red Lion in that time has it ?

<br />I have 'commented' on the Telegraph article<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Oh? Where?

Not here.

I did click on your 'Twitter' word, waited for ages and only got a blank screen.

Wouldn't it be best, having entered the Forum, to stay in the Forum.......?

Yes it would 'FOTTF

My apologies.

Here is a copy of my comments as listed in the Telegraph:

Report Recommend Reply noavatar32.pnggladiator1 9 hours ago Recommended by

5 people At The Red Lion - perhaps he/she saw me with my wife of 10 years marriage and companions of friend and wife of 70 years. My wife thanks you for the compliments of referring to her as 30 years

Quite possible he wasn't in Chiang Mai at all but merely re-hashing some old article he has been reading from three or four years ago. Lets face it; not a lot has changed in the Red Lion in that time has it ?

No not a lot has changed it keeps getting the Lions share of the tourist trade.

The article almost makes it sound like he is running a Go-Go bar with fish and chips as a sideline.

Ha! Ha! Kevin as a Scouse Papasan, what a great picture that conjures up!! I'm sure he won't mind the image if it brings a few high end punters into the RL!

I don't think this kind of article does Chiang Mai any harm at all. If it serves to whet peoples appetite, they will then do the Google thing and get hotels/guesthouses in whatever their price bracket, look up the other attractions and, who knows, wander round the Night Bazaar dropping a few coins in the elderley disabled mans begging bowl. The trickle down effect FOTTF talks about will then be complete.

Looking at Nigel Richardson's bio on the Telegrapg website it looks as though he's a pretty seasoned travel journo who knows what his readers want to read and although I accept that, like most journalists he'll be on a fat expense account (Lunchtime O'Booze was Private Ey's stereotypical journalist!) that doesn't negate his article.

Kevin Hunt may be especially happy with his plug, but those of us in the tourist business, all need articles like this. If he'd come to the Olde Bell he'd have got a 5% tourists Diso*unt Card!! Not that his expense acouunt probably needed it!

One caveat: Let's hope though, that as intelligent Telegraph readers (?1?) they are bright enough NOT to give to the 9 year old midnight flower seller or 6 year old 'Burmese' kid who are being exploited by their families & the system and failed by international NGOs.

Kevin Hunt may be especially happy with his plug, but those of us in the tourist business, all need articles like this. If he'd come to the Olde Bell he'd have got a 5% tourists Diso*unt Card!! Not that his expense acouunt probably needed it!

Really??

Sometimes spell checker comes in handy, if you're not sure.

Edit: I know it takes the fun out of what you are saying but I can't let that one stand TP

Edited by ThaiPauly

Really??

Typo. Tourists would have got a 5% dicount card. I've been reserving one of the ones I inadvertantly described, for you, Uptheos.

Really??

Typo. Tourists would have got a 5% dicount card. I've been reserving one of the ones I inadvertantly described, for you, Uptheos.

Oh now they get a dicount card....you really do have a problem spelling this word, don't you?

Make a note: D I S C O U N T

Edited by ThaiPauly

:bah: So my fat fingers hit the wrong keys sometimes, from which you have derived considerable amusement. Whatever generous offer the tourists get, you defintely qualify for a discount (word edited by ThaiPauly) card.

Thanks a lot Billy.

photo-53024.jpg

:bah: So my fat fingers hit the wrong keys sometimes, from which you have derived considerable amusement. Whatever generous offer the tourists get, you defintely qualify for a discount (word edited by Thai Pauly) card.

Thanks a lot Billy.

photo-53024.jpg

Where on Earth did you manage to get that photo of me?

Ex pats by the way get a 10% D-I-S-C-O-U-N-T on their food and drink bills. 15% on a Thursday!

:bah: So my fat fingers hit the wrong keys sometimes, from which you have derived considerable amusement. Whatever generous offer the tourists get, you defintely qualify for a discount (word edited by Thai Pauly) card.

Thanks a lot Billy.

photo-53024.jpg

Where on Earth did you manage to get that photo of me?

Ex pats by the way get a 10% D-I-S-C-O-U-N-T on their food and drink bills. 15% on a Thursday!

Not too difficult, but I wouldn't show you from the neck down.

Hefty discounts indeed - you must be hurting, but they are certainly required......100% might be more appropriate though, considering!

Edited by uptheos