British Border Agency Was Wrong To Deport Thai Bride

webfact

British border agency was wrong to deport Thai bride

Tribunal rules kilt-maker who clicked ‘wrong button’ on dating website cannot get rid of Thai wife so easily

A Thai bride who was summarily deported, after her 67-yr-old Scottish kilt maker husband decided the marriage was over, has won her Immigration Appeal against the British Border Agency

Kanokat Nimsamoot Booth, aged, 41, a former Thai daily newspaper journalist and magazine editor, was arrested by Immigration officers at Glasgow airport last year, jailed in a police station overnight, and then deported on a flight back to Bangkok.

But at the Upper Tribunal Immigration and Asylum Chamber Judge has ruled that the deportation was illegal.

med_gallery_327_1086_27013.jpg

Kanokrat and Dennis Booth being blessed in Thailand

In the initial refusal notice the Border Agency stated that Mrs. Booth, who arrived on a Residence Permit last May, had come to see a man, who was not her husband, and that the marriage to kilt-maker Dennis Booth from ‘was no longer subsisting’. Furthermore Mrs. Booth had arrived in Britain without the knowledge of her husband.

Mrs. Booth agreed that there were problems [more...]

Full story: http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2011/01/30/british-border-agency-was-wrong-to-deport-thai-bride/

-- ANDREW-DRUMMOND.COM 2011-01-31

footer_n.gif

A good friend visited, fell for and married a Thai woman, took her back to oz, on a marriage visa which apparently expires when the marriage breaks down if that occurs within 2 (?) years. Every dollar she could grab was sent back to Thailand, where we later discovered she was buying a new Isuzu pick-up.

He finally had enough when he stopped for fuel on the way home, on payday, and the bank a/c was already empty.

Oz immigration not only let her stay, it let her bring in her Thai boyfriend on that visa. <deleted>.

She filed a AVO for "Excessive Sexual Demands" (he has it framed on his wall) and divorce claiming half his house, his car, future financial support............. after less than a year of marriage.

I suggest anyone get both sides of a story before commenting, but expect the word avarice to crop up.

Regardless of ducks this ruling makes perfect sense, no divorce, the marriage still exists.

Unproven accusations of infidelity by one partner do not give grounds for deportation, no matter who comes to get you at the airport. If a woman had come to get her at the airport, would have been suddenly OK? Not necessarily, it could be a lesbian affair, if one existed. In EITHER CASE makes no difference, no legal divorce, no legal deportation for not being married. I hope the Border Police officials who did this get seriously reprimanded.

Edited by animatic

Links not working Mr D.

Still not working

I hope I have corrected the link. Here it is anyway?

www.andrew-drummond.com/2010/12/11/culture-shock-a-thai-brides-fight-for-dignity/

If there is anything in my site which suggests Dennis Booth is a bad man I will correct it. I have cut short a comment at the end already. The fact is the Kanokrat Booth believes her husband is a good man. There was however a classic communication problem and she spent a considerable Thai away from her husband with her two kids in Thailand. There are reasons why the marriage was rocky I am sure.

If the story posted here about the problems of an Australian with a huge sexual appetite is even half true its major. But these things tend to get exaggerated with the telling.

After reading the Andrew Drummond piece,the husband comes across as not a nice piece of work.

On the other hand,the lady should have known it was not a good idea to marry a man who likes wearing skirts.

This is an indication of radical racial actions against the national dress of Scotland. This type of racisiam is no acceptable.

A good friend visited, fell for and married a Thai woman, took her back to oz, on a marriage visa which apparently expires when the marriage breaks down if that occurs within 2 (?) years. Every dollar she could grab was sent back to Thailand, where we later discovered she was buying a new Isuzu pick-up.

He finally had enough when he stopped for fuel on the way home, on payday, and the bank a/c was already empty.

Oz immigration not only let her stay, it let her bring in her Thai boyfriend on that visa. <deleted>.

She filed a AVO for "Excessive Sexual Demands" (he has it framed on his wall) and divorce claiming half his house, his car, future financial support............. after less than a year of marriage.

I suggest anyone get both sides of a story before commenting, but expect the word avarice to crop up.

But did she get it? - I very much doubt so, as Oz property settlement laws are clearly based around assets gained in the course of a relationship, not those bought into it.

About the Australian guy, if real, our rules do need a little tweaking. I was always of the belief that the process was two stage: 1) temporary for two years to prove ongoing relationship, then 2) made permanent. I would have thought that if the marriage breaks down for whatev reason, then part two can't be met because it's no longer continuing. One would assume no visa would be issued and the partner would be sent home. Obviously things should be different if there are children in that time....

But it is not the case. To coin a phase, I "have heard" that Russian brides are coached towards protection orders to flout this law, and maybe never really being true partners. But the law is in place for this sort of thing to happen. Here's the dept immigration website page about it. Basically they can get here on a temp visa, lodge a protection ordr and continue the permanent process. It's more than doable, and I suspect that people are actually doing this.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/38domestic.htm

"In the initial refusal notice the Border Agency stated that Mrs. Booth, who arrived on a Residence Permit last May, had come to see a man, who was not her husband, and that the marriage to kilt-maker Dennis Booth from 'was no longer subsisting'. "

This from the people who try & tell us they are the only ones who know how to speak "Engrish"

Edited by powderpuff

After reading the Andrew Drummond piece,the husband comes across as not a nice piece of work.

On the other hand,the lady should have known it was not a good idea to marry a man who likes wearing skirts.

Being nice has never been a quality for a long lasting marriage. Looks like both are not nice people but who am I to judge. I dont know either. Still skirting around the issue, sorry kilt, to have the marriage break down and then try and stay with another man is not nice. Let's hope she does not get the nanny UK state 50%. Let's pray there are no kids or he will be wearing kilts made by <deleted>!

Everyone that gets married should have a solid prenuptial agreement, regardless of whether husband and wife are upstanding members of society or not. Especially for marriages between thai and non-thai because the bride applicant pool is so commonly low end socio-economically. There should also be a clause referring to a will that makes it clear she will get nothing if the husband dies due to questionable circumstances as determined by the executor.

At least the so caller nigerian scammers screw you from a distance, unlike some of these wives screw you close and in your face.

But the food here is really GREAT

But did she get it? - I very much doubt so, as Oz property settlement laws are clearly based around assets gained in the course of a relationship, not those bought into it..................."jackspratt"

I'm not so sure of this now in OZ, it may have been the case some years back, but I think now after a period of what is loosly called a "Short Marriage" whatever that is deemed to be, a partner can walk away with a pot of gold calculated 'way back' thus the values of cash and assetts way before and including the new relationship!

It is sad that English racism even permeates this message board.

However, having lived with it for more than 60 years, it rarely surprises me any more how far they can travel and still retain their contempt for other people's traditions and way of life.

Guess he was not just wearing her skirts.......pointing with his feet to monks makes him superficial. A skirt maker, oh my holy god....:jap:

Being nice has never been a quality for a long lasting marriage. Looks like both are not nice people but who am I to judge. I dont know either. Still skirting around the issue, sorry kilt, to have the marriage break down and then try and stay with another man is not nice. Let's hope she does not get the nanny UK state 50%. Let's pray there are no kids or he will be wearing kilts made by <deleted>!

Let's pray that there're no kids who have to wear skirts.....:jap:

Atycib

Its so nice to see that you have no prejudice against Thai women,as you seem to be a guest in their country.

How many men have been screwed over by their home country women coming from the upper end socio-economically. men in all countries think with parts of their bodies,other than their brains, when choosing a partner.

Thai food is available in your home country, and flights leave every day.

Everyone that gets married should have a solid prenuptial agreement, regardless of whether husband and wife are upstanding members of society or not. Especially for marriages between thai and non-thai because the bride applicant pool is so commonly low end socio-economically. There should also be a clause referring to a will that makes it clear she will get nothing if the husband dies due to questionable circumstances as determined by the executor.

At least the so caller nigerian scammers screw you from a distance, unlike some of these wives screw you close and in your face.

"But the food here is really GREAT "

hahahahahahaha :D

It is sad that English racism even permeates this message board.

However, having lived with it for more than 60 years, it rarely surprises me any more how far they can travel and still retain their contempt for other people's traditions and way of life.

From the way I read them (the messages) there were comments from a Scott and a few Aussies also.

The one comment that was obviously posted by an Englishman, stated he was very unhappy with the way UK boarder authorities had revoked the ladies visa and deported her.

You do speak of contempt (by the English), however you blatantly display xenophobic contempt towards the English.

Does that make you an arse?

Interesting that EU regulations overruled the UKBA's on the spot decision which would might well have been upheld by the tribunal if the UK hadn't acceded to the EEA agreement on immigration. I am not sure where it goes from here because she must have been on a two year marriage visa which is normally converted to ILR (indefinite leave to remain) when it expires, if the marriage is still good. What is her position now? The "resident permit" mentioned in Andrew's article is not an official classification of the UKBA. So the article leaves unclear what her UK immigration status was/is.

I think the article is fairly positive in that it illustrates the fact that the UK, like most Western liberal democracies, has an independent judicial process for issues of immigration and nationality which is totally absent in Thailand. Everything in these areas in Thai law boils done to the "discretion of the minister" and the system fails the most basic tests of transparency as a result. It is difficult to do much about this against the backdrop of a constitution that omits to recognize the rights of foreigners. On the other hand ordinary Thais without money or connections in the new age of populisim are now treated much better than they used to be by government officials and get pretty good service from district offices that used to force them to wait for hours or come back another day.

I am not sure how this couple met but the bride's "wrong button" tour suggests she was an Internet bride. I don't think she should knock the concept too much, just because it didn't work out perfectly for her. She may still hit the jackpot in her divorce proceedings and, judging by the wedding photograph, both bride and groom are singularly unattractive, distinctly "on-the-shelf" specimens who couldn't expect to find any one to marry them in their home cultures. Why knock this last resort option which might work out well for some and may still work out very well for her financially? Clearly the chances for compatibility are very low in this sort of transaction and a modicum of common sense should prevail, as in the case of the old geezers coming to enjoy the dolce vita in Thailand on their basic state pensions who marry the first brassy old tart they meet at a Pattaya beer bar.

Edited by Arkady

"In the initial refusal notice the Border Agency stated that Mrs. Booth, who arrived on a Residence Permit last May, had come to see a man, who was not her husband, and that the marriage to kilt-maker Dennis Booth from 'was no longer subsisting'. "

This from the people who try & tell us they are the only ones who know how to speak "Engrish"

Nothing wrong the sentence, fail to see your point.

Andrew Drummond must have had a few last night, spot the 3 errors below:

If there is anything in my site which suggests Dennis Booth is a bad man I will correct it. I have cut short a comment at the end already. The fact is the Kanokrat Booth believes her husband is a good man. There was however a classic communication problem and she spent a considerable Thai away from her husband with her two kids in Thailand. There are reasons why the marriage was rocky I am sure.

If the story posted here about the problems of an Australian with a huge sexual appetite is even half true its major. But these things tend to get exaggerated with the telling.

Or, just don't get married. Unless of course you need to pay the lower visa requirements.

Nothing wrong the sentence, fail to see your point.

sub·sisting - verb (used without object)

1. to exist; continue in existence.

2. to remain alive; live, as on food, resources, etc.

3. to have existence in, or by reason of, something.

4. to reside, lie, or consist (usually fol. by in ).

5. Philosophy . a. to have timeless or abstract existence, as a number, relation, etc. b. to have existence, esp. independent existence.

–verb (used with object) 6. to provide sustenance or support for; maintain.

No problem here. Not a truly common usage.

Possibly more correct sans object

Their marriage ended. No longer subsisting.

Edited by animatic