True Internet Speed

Firefan

I finally got down to testing the speed of my:

TRUE ADSL w. wireless modem 256/128 kbps B 590/mth+vat.

It is connected to own direct tel line (no switchboard or similar).

I used: http://www.wugnet.com/myspeed/speedtest.asp http://www.dslreports.com/ and http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest

I generally (Sunday afternoon) averaged 125 kbps on download and 110 kbps on upload (sometimes the upload results are all over the place w. Wugnet saying I have 320 kbps - but as for most it is the download speed being the most important to me).

So I seem to be getting half the 256 download speed and practically all the upload. That is from I have been reading here quite good?

I will be doing some more tests during week days but from memory they are very close to the above results also.

Cheers!

What isp/service are you using to get those results cdnvic? Sounds way irregular for Thailand, and I'd like to sign up.

All bandwidth tests are to be interpreted with several things in mind:

1. The capacity of the server

2. The location of the server (relative to your own)

3. The route that it takes

If you want to know how fast you would be downloading from a server in California, it would be best to test with a bandwidth test in California (though not 100% guaranteed accurate). It would be idiotic to test with a server in Korea.

If you simply want to know how much bandwidth your ISP is allocating to you (between you and the ISP), test with the ISP.

And so on.

Good comments guys. Most of my surfing involves overseas and mainly US based servers so I am guessing that the above speed tests give a decent idea. I did multipe tests on each (but will do more on week days - especially afternoons where most seem to see slow connections).

When I test the in Thailand speed I get practically the full 256/128 I pay for.

Cheers!

Cheers!

What isp/service are you using to get those results cdnvic?  Sounds way irregular for Thailand, and I'd like to sign up.

It's a Canadian isp (Shaw). When in Thailand I use True. Gives me time to clean house while I wait for pages to download. :o

cv

I thought it was too good... to be True.

Tests in Thailand, from a Thai ISP, usually will give you the full speed. That's because local bandwidth is relatively cheap. By "relative", I mean relative to international bandwidth. But, it's still controlled by CAT, and so so still costs way more than in other countries. Used to be that Nectec had a local gateway, but CAT strongarmed ISPs to move to theirs.

<deleted>? You get 125k/s download speed??? Or is this the speed which u tested? I use exactly the same connection and all but i just get 40k/s download speed. But the test speed for me is 202kbps or 210kbps. Please clarify this Firefan.

<deleted>? You get 125k/s download speed??? Or is this the speed which u tested? I use exactly the same connection and all but i just get 40k/s download speed. But the test speed for me is 202kbps or 210kbps. Please clarify this Firefan.

Tested my gf's true 256/128 adsl with real downloads and uploads.

Average download rate over 24 hours > 1Mbit.

Average upload rate approx 220 kbit.

If you get 202 kbs download rate with a speed test the reason for your slow download speed is not due to capacity problems at true.

I would guess that it is due to limted capacity from the machine that is uploading and/or combined with international network delays or overloading.

Pinging thai machines from europe often results in ping times approaching 700ms.

With about 400ms of this being the delay between the USA & thailand.

Edited by kalaminsa

Tested my gf's true 256/128 adsl with real downloads and uploads.

Average download rate over 24 hours > 1Mbit.

Average upload rate approx 220 kbit.

If you get 202 kbs download rate with a speed test the reason for your slow download speed is not due to capacity problems at true.

I would guess that it is due to limted capacity from the machine that is uploading and/or combined with international network delays or overloading.

Pinging thai machines from europe often results in ping times approaching 700ms.

With about 400ms of this being the delay between the USA & thailand.

1Mbit is your average download rate for 24hrs or 1hr? How much is the download speed per second? I basically download from international sites, so if i download a Thai demo of a game how much would be the speed per second?

Hi Shivek,

The connection to your ISP is usually indicated in kilo bit per second (kbps).

e.g. 256/128 is 256kbps download and 128 kbps upload

When you are actually downloading a file from the internet you computer will indicate the speed in kilo byte per secon (kBps)

1 byte equals 8 bits

This means that theoretically you can download at 32kBps over a 256kbps connection (256/8=32)

So if you test your speed at 202kbps, you would be able to download at 25.25kBps...

or

If you are downloading at 40kBps, this would indicate a connection of 320kbps...

Hope this clears the numbers confusion a bit :o

Kalaminsa, if you can download at 1mbits over a 256kbps true line, then I guess True mixed up some settings at your g/f's account!!!

Because on a 256 connection you are supposed to be able to download at maximum 256kbps.

Most people here are complaining they can only download at 30kbps(=3.75kBps) over their 256kbps connection!!!

Hi Shivek,

The connection to your ISP is usually indicated in kilo bit per second (kbps).

e.g. 256/128 is 256kbps download and 128 kbps upload

When you are actually downloading a file from the internet you computer will indicate the speed in kilo byte per secon (kBps)

1 byte equals 8 bits

This means that theoretically you can download at 32kBps over a 256kbps connection (256/8=32)

So if you test your speed at 202kbps, you would be able to download at 25.25kBps...

or

If you are downloading at 40kBps, this would indicate a connection of 320kbps...

Hope this clears the numbers confusion a bit :D

Kalaminsa, if you can download at 1mbits over a 256kbps true line, then I guess True mixed up some settings at your g/f's account!!!

Because on a 256 connection you are supposed to be able to download at maximum 256kbps.

Most people here are complaining they can only download at 30kbps(=3.75kBps) over their 256kbps connection!!!

Thanks a lot Monty, Kalaminsa really confused me. Thanks for giving me some essential knowledge.

:o

Not that I'm interested that much (I don't live in BKK), but where the h*ll you can find any updated info on True's packages?????

Googling gave me only this :

http://www.truecorp.co.th/index.php?op=mod...&section=detail

512/256 kbs installation: 2,000 + 2,000/month

*This price is for ADSL network only.Internet is excluded.

Guess this is a bit outdated :o

Don't depend too much on the information from Thai websites... they're rarely updated, and even when they are, they often contain the wrong information. It's best to do it the old way and call (and don't forget to get a name and number, in case you get the wrong information there).

Ok a very good and explanatory post by monty.

I also agree that ADSL speed varies depending on the distance between the computer and the telephone exchange (i.e. the telephone company building where you got the connection from)

Also note one thing that true gives u 256/128 kbps, which means that the original connection is 128kbps (kilo baud per second) and not KB (kilo byte). 256 signifies that the connection is burstable to 256 kbps (again baud).

Another factor that greatly affects the speed is the network traffic, i.e. the more number of users are on the network, the slower it is. :D

Anyway, I am totally satisfied with my true 256/128kbps 590+baht/month connection in Bangkok and I think that it is value for money. :o

Just to clarify - my results where simply based on the average of (multiple of) the mentioned online speed tests. If somebody else does it at least we have a base mark for comparison.

On a side note my true connection completely crashed yesterday after I typed that I was ok with what I got for my money.... after some modem resets and input of passwords/log-in I got it back alive.

Cheers!

As mentioned I did the same tests on a weekday afternoon today; averaged 130kbps download and around 100kbps upload.

Meanwhile this afternoon might not be representative due to the US labor day - so will try again later in the week.

Cheers!

I have been using True for about a week now. The transfer speeds are ok, but I have a massive problem with their DNS server. Every time I look up a new host name (i.e. visit a new website) it takes about 2-5 minutes to do the DNS lookup.

Does nobody else suffer from this?

I have been using True for about a week now. The transfer speeds are ok, but I have a massive problem with their DNS server. Every time I look up a new host name (i.e. visit a new website) it takes about 2-5 minutes to do the DNS lookup.

Does nobody else suffer from this?

I sometimes have a delay of a second to two. You do have it set for automatic?

Click your internet connection/properties/networking/internet protocol/properties/check IP and DNS automatic

Ok a very good and explanatory post by monty.

I also agree that ADSL speed varies depending on the distance between the computer and the telephone exchange (i.e. the telephone company building where you got the connection from)

Also note one thing that true gives u 256/128 kbps, which means that the original connection is 128kbps (kilo baud per second) and not KB (kilo byte). 256 signifies that the connection is burstable to 256 kbps (again baud).

Another factor that greatly affects the speed is the network traffic, i.e. the more number of users are on the network, the slower it is.  :D

Anyway, I am totally satisfied with my true 256/128kbps 590+baht/month connection in Bangkok and I think that it is value for money.  :o

In 256/128 ADSL the 256 is your max download speed and 128 your max upload speed. It is not a "burst" speed (although with our low international link capacity it may seem it).

The number of users is not the real factor - the amount of use they make of the circuit is. If everyone is just reading TV there will not be much of a load but if they are all trying to download or upload at the same time things will slow down greatly on most consumer circuits. Just like a sprinkler system for your lawn - if only one running it gets full pressure but if you run a dozen it gets divided and much less water available from each nozzle.

That is a loooong time to wait! Nope I do not have that problem - I suggest you check with them. Cheers!

It's very very weird:

1) Ping: takes 2-5 minutes for DNS to resolve a domain

2) Internet Explorer: takes 2-5 minutes for DNS to resolve a domain

3) Opera 7: takes 2-5 minutes for DNS to resolve a domain

but ....

4) Mozilla Firefox: works "properly" :o

I am using a ADSL Ethernet router as supplied by True. I tried setting up the connection to use the True DNS servers as instructed in the manual:

but that hasn't made any difference.

I just seem to have "slow DNS" in everything but Mozilla Firefox. How weird...

Back again, for the xxth time: Although ADSL's *maximum* speed is dictated by the distance to the CO and the quality of the line, it generally is *not* applicable for Thailand's implementation.

Why?

In the US, and many other countries, you pay a flat fee for your ADSL connection. Depending on the distance to your CO, you will get between 1.5 and 8 megabits speed, and whatever speed your line can sustain, you get that speed, and you pay the same price, no matter what speed it is.

For Thailand, you pay a certain rate based upon what speed you ask for. The speed is set at the CO by engineers, and you will get that speed, no matter how close or far you are from the CO. If the line *cannot* sustain that speed, then the engineers will not allow that connection. In the case of True, you usually will get assigned 2.5mbits speed, no matter what (for a home package). This is to allow for whatever speed you signed up for (512k, 1mbit, 2.5mbit, etc) and allow for the burst pay-per-use login. If the line cannot sustain that speed, then you aren't signed up. The modem will always display 2.5mbits speed, but your *account* (login) will determine the *maximum effective* speed (512k, 1mbit, etc) which is limited by routers.

The main factors which affect your *real-world* speeds in Thailand are congestion and network setup.

True's DNS servers generally suck. I suggest switching to other servers.

Back again, for the xxth time: Although ADSL's *maximum* speed is dictated by the distance to the CO and the quality of the line, it generally is *not* applicable for Thailand's implementation.

Why?

In the US, and many other countries, you pay a flat fee for your ADSL connection.  Depending on the distance to your CO, you will get between 1.5 and 8 megabits speed, and whatever speed your line can sustain, you get that speed, and you pay the same price, no matter what speed it is.

For Thailand, you pay a certain rate based upon what speed you ask for.  The speed is set at the CO by engineers, and you will get that speed, no matter how close or far you are from the CO.  If the line *cannot* sustain that speed, then the engineers will not allow that connection.  In the case of True, you usually will get assigned 2.5mbits speed, no matter what (for a home package).  This is to allow for whatever speed you signed up for (512k, 1mbit, 2.5mbit, etc) and allow for the burst pay-per-use login.  If the line cannot sustain that speed, then you aren't signed up.  The modem will always display 2.5mbits speed, but your *account* (login) will determine the *maximum effective* speed (512k, 1mbit, etc) which is limited by routers.

The main factors which affect your *real-world* speeds in Thailand are congestion and network setup.

True's DNS servers generally suck.  I suggest switching to other servers.

How do I locate other DNS servers?