Can Someone Help Me Set Up Port Forwarding On My Pc ?

johnboy3739w

You will need admin privileges on your router.

Log on to the router. Depending on the brand/make/model, you'd be looking for something that looks like "Applications and Gaming" (e.g. Linksys)

Then you will want to add in one of the blanks your utorrent port. You can find out (or set it) by accessing the options in utorrent. (e.g. 10023, but your number may be radically different. you need to check)

Make sure that if there is a setting in your torrent program to randomize the port each time it is set to OFF

You'll need to know the local ip address of your machine. It might look something like 192.168.1.107 (that's just an example you need to find out the address of YOUR machine)

*note that if it changes every time you turn on your machine, you will need to set your machine to pick that ip address to manual (if you are on a shared router this can lead to conflicts, so you need to do some homework on this as well)

set your router to allow TCP/UDP in and out on that particular port and send the data to the ip address of your machine.

a website such as http://portforward.com/ may have more information and step by step directions for you.

Good luck. Learning curve may be steep the first time, but after you get used to it you can set ports for games, torrent, skype, whatever.

Edited by voracious

i'm trying to set up port forwarding on my PC to use Utorrent proerly - but failing miserably...

There are two ways to accomplish this. Choose one, NOT both.

Manual port-forwarding

- Assign your computer a static IP (as already suggested)

- Visit http://portforward.com

- Select the make/model of your router

## skip advert ##

- Select uTorrent from the list of programs

- Follow on-screen instructions

- When choosing a listening port, opt for something between 49152 and 65535

Automatic port-forwarding

- Open uTorrent Preferences (Ctrl+P)

- In the left pane, click 'Connection'

- Make sure the following items are CHECKED:

• Enable UPnP port mapping
  • Randomize port each start
  • Add Windows Firewall exception

- Restart uTorrent

Note: UPnP must be 'enabled' on your router for this method to work.

Edited by Supernova

mess 2, 3and 4 - thanks for your reply - apprecite your help - i have tried,several times and failed !!

mess 7 - tried and filed miserbly !

I find it hard to believe none of the methods presented in this thread have worked.

It would certainly help us understand the problem if you were to provide the following information: brand of router, operating system, as well as the steps you've taken so far to configure port forwarding. If you're running anti-virus or a third-party firewall, be sure to include that too. Otherwise, no one can help you.

mess 7 - tried and filed miserbly !

anyone out there come and help me out ?

You are in Pattaya, just take it to Tuk com 3rd floor Shop in the corner called ( Pattaya To U) they will do it for you.

Good luck with that.

Don't forget the router.

Oh and they'll probably have a good snoop around your PC to try and snaffle any good pics or passwords, so watch them like a bloody hawk.

As already mentioned without some more specific details it's impossible to sort the problem.

Just as a thought have you set your "Internet Protocol" ? This is for Windows XP

Start - Control Panel - Network Connections - Right click - Local Area Connection Properties - Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Properties.

You should get a window something like this:-

post-35075-0-88136100-1297161526_thumb.j

The numbers will be different depending on your router settings.

To get the numbers for your router go to:-

Start - run - type cmd - at the prompt type ipconfig /all - (note the space between g and / )

Good luck

bleedin' hell !

i have tried ! (imagine your Dad trying to do it ! )

not much into computers.....

no one living in pattaya (north) spare me an hour to help set up for me ??

Anyone ??

Here's what I would recommend...and what I did...have a pro come to your place and get it setup. Costs about 800B for a house visit. Takes about 30-60 minutes for them to get it setup. Money well spent. Works great for me now...

Agree, think we have gone as far as we can here :blink:

Call into your nearest computer shop and ask if they have someone that can come round and set it up for you.

Don't bother taking your gear to them as your line connection is specific to your phone number so if they set it up in the shop it will not work when you get it home :(

Anyway good luck

:D

i've sussed why no brit wanted to pop round an help me - they are all sitting outside Friendship supermarket at 10am in the morning, drinking "Big" bottles of chang...........

Anyway, thanks to all who replied - problem now solved - the receptionist's brother is a techie - he rocked round this morning and about 5 mins later i was all port forwarded up and have got a static ip address....

thanks again to all thos who tried to offer advice and tips on here - much appreciated..............

i've sussed why no brit wanted to pop round an help me - they are all sitting outside Friendship supermarket at 10am in the morning, drinking "Big" bottles of chang...........

Anyway, thanks to all who replied - problem now solved - the receptionist's brother is a techie - he rocked round this morning and about 5 mins later i was all port forwarded up and have got a static ip address....

thanks again to all thos who tried to offer advice and tips on here - much appreciated..............

I would be interested to hear if it has helped your torrents....glad you got things worked out!!! :)

hi craig - so i'm told - the port forwarding is just to allow other users to "share" the torrents you have already downloaded..........

as well as using Extra torrent, and torrent day - i use the box and uk nova - if you fon't share they ultimately get rid of you and thus no more uk TV - its working a treat now, so u'm up loading as much as i;m down loading.............