Samui Accidents (Again!)

For the last six months I have driven almost daily between Chaweng and Thong Krut and only occassionaly seen an accident.

In the last ten days I have seen 7 - 2 yesterday alone. 6 of these were in and around Lamai. All involved bikes. 4 were walking wounded but three were clearly more serious. Both foreigners and Thais involved.

There does seem to be far more traffic about during the day and a lot of frustrated drivers overtaking in dangerous situations.

As they say in Hill Street Blues - "Be careful out there!"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just the usual problem of a lack of Driving nous from the Locals ( i use that term to describe the Thai poulation on the Island, be they local Samuians or not ) who think they're Michael Schumacher behind the Wheel of a Car & Valentino Rossi on a Motorbike..

I have seen incredibly poor decision making where driving is concerned all around Thailand, but i have never seen such dangerous & selfish driving as i do on Samui.

Just the usual problem of a lack of Driving nous from the Locals ( i use that term to describe the Thai poulation on the Island, be they local Samuians or not ) who think they're Michael Schumacher behind the Wheel of a Car & Valentino Rossi on a Motorbike..

I have seen incredibly poor decision making where driving is concerned all around Thailand, but i have never seen such dangerous & selfish driving as i do on Samui.

Don't only blame the Thais. How many Farrangs are driving here trunken or without an Int. Driving License. How many Farrangs drive big bikes without a license?

It's a mix of bullshit driving!

Don't only blame the Thais. How many Farrangs are driving here trunken or without an Int. Driving License. How many Farrangs drive big bikes without a license?

Well considering that Thai's probably outnumber Farangs on the Island by quite a hefty % & considering that Farangs would generally have a much better concept of Road Awareness & Safety than the average Thai, i'd say a " mix " in the very sense of the word would be grossly inaccurate..

However you're right, some Farangs drive like complete Idiots, as they would do at home i guess, but where % are concerned, it'd be incredibly low & certainly nowhere near to be a legitimate cause to Samui's Road problems.

Just ridden around the island today. Nearly got ran off the road several times ,by very insecure people,obviously have never ridden a bike in their lives. You pick them, both wearing scoobbiedoo helmets, holding on for grim death. Other ones shirtless, she is sitting on the back with bikini, sightseeing real slow , stop anywhere to consult maps or ride 3 abreast with friends.

Hmmmmmmmmm wish I was a policeman, would be millionaire by now ( I know some of them are ).

B)

Just ridden around the island today. Nearly got ran off the road several times ,by very insecure people,obviously have never ridden a bike in their lives. You pick them, both wearing scoobbiedoo helmets, holding on for grim death. Other ones shirtless, she is sitting on the back with bikini, sightseeing real slow , stop anywhere to consult maps or ride 3 abreast with friends.

Hmmmmmmmmm wish I was a policeman, would be millionaire by now ( I know some of them are ).

B)

You're absolutely right of course but i highly doubt these particular people & the causes of the vast majority % of accidents on the Island..

The accidents, the vast majority anyway, are caused by Thai Drivers & their lack of Road knowldege & Road safety along with the incredibly selfish attitude of " I've flashed my lights so i don't need to stop for you or for anything " ..

That is such a dreadful attitude & outlook to driving, it's horrific in fact & is FAR more visible on Samui than in other parts of teh Country, where Driving is far from being great anyway.

The old Samui Community Newspaper used to, incredibly, print statistics on the Accidents for that Month where the Thai Casualties & Victims far outweighed the Farangs, that's not up for debate as it was printed by the local Newspaper. & many would argue it was toned down more than exagerated anyway.

Add to all this the fact that on Party Island MANY people drive the Bikes ( both Thai & Farang ) when drunk & it's a recipe for absolute disaster, like the Stats tell.

I know 6 people in 7 Years on Samui that have died, all between the hours of Midnight - 06:00.

No prizes for guessing why that 6 hour time period was the time, every time..

But like a lot of other things in Thailand & for reasons that are for another Thread, there is simply nowhere near enough implementation of the Laws that are allegedly in place on it's Roads & until there is ( which is no time soon ), riding a Motorbike on those Roads down there is making your chances of life coming to an end far earlier than you'd want, much more greater.

I agree, while the thai drivers are not the smartest one, to many foreigners drive a bike here without any knowledge, license, no proper protection (at least a decent helmet) and more than often drunk. Very sad but they will learn the hard way. rolleyes.gif

I agree, while the thai drivers are not the smartest one, to many foreigners drive a bike here without any knowledge, license, no proper protection (at least a decent helmet) and more than often drunk. Very sad but they will learn the hard way. rolleyes.gif

Too many for sure but atill an incredibly low % where the baddest accidents are concerned..

B)

You're absolutely right of course but i highly doubt these particular people & the causes of the vast majority % of accidents on the Island..

The accidents, the vast majority anyway, are caused by Thai Drivers & their lack of Road knowldege & Road safety along with the incredibly selfish attitude of " I've flashed my lights so i don't need to stop for you or for anything " ..

That is such a dreadful attitude & outlook to driving, it's horrific in fact & is FAR more visible on Samui than in other parts of teh Country, where Driving is far from being great anyway.

The old Samui Community Newspaper used to, incredibly, print statistics on the Accidents for that Month where the Thai Casualties & Victims far outweighed the Farangs, that's not up for debate as it was printed by the local Newspaper. & many would argue it was toned down more than exagerated anyway.

Add to all this the fact that on Party Island MANY people drive the Bikes ( both Thai & Farang ) when drunk & it's a recipe for absolute disaster, like the Stats tell.

I know 6 people in 7 Years on Samui that have died, all between the hours of Midnight - 06:00.

But like a lot of other things in Thailand & for reasons that are for another Thread, there is simply nowhere near enough implementation of the Laws that are allegedly in place on it's Roads & until there is ( which is no time soon ), riding a Motorbike on those Roads down there is making your chances of life coming to an end far earlier than you'd want, much more greater.

Thats a very good post and so true of samui in particular. This island has become a nightmare on the roads and its only going to get worse.

Incidentally, approximately ten minutes ago a VIP bus coming towards me decides to overtake two cars infront of him. he can clearly see me on a bike coming towards him but quite blatently forced me off the road. From the manner of his agressive driving i doubt if he cared if he knocked me off. What would have been the punishment if he had....2000 baht fine and a telling off. Not very civilised at times this place is it.

Um.... Thais -v- foreigners?

I havn't seen any foreigners driving taxis, hotel buses, cement trucks etc, all principle causes of accidents. So who are most to blame?

With locals you can try & anticipate, with foreigners ??????????????????? It's adding more bad ingredients to an already spoilt dish.

It is not Thais V Foreigners, no one said that.

B)

Not argue - state clearly that the figures have been massaged for a very long time.

In 2000 the figures released by the police each month showed that 25-35 people a month were being killed on the roads. One a day, every day.

Since then two things have happened. First, the volume of traffic has increased by what - 400%? Ten years ago there was nothing on the roads in the evening and even in the daytime you could cross the ring-road within moments.

Two - back then the fatality figures were calculated on the basis that if you had an accident and died the next day you were a road traffic fatality. Somewhere around 2003-4-5 the tesseban moved the goalposts and decided that it only counted if you were dead on the floor at the scene of the accident. Suddenly Samui was getting 2 or 3 deaths a month instead.

As I've posted before, European road deaths are calculated "per million per year". Even with the "official" figures of 3 a month (ha ha) and taking the population of Samui at 250,000 (in any one month ...) then that works out to 144 deaths per million per year on Samui. (London has only 22 and the worst in Europe is 71.)

Work it out for yourselves .....

R

B)

Thats a very good post and so true of samui in particular. This island has become a nightmare on the roads and its only going to get worse.

Incidentally, approximately ten minutes ago a VIP bus coming towards me decides to overtake two cars infront of him. he can clearly see me on a bike coming towards him but quite blatently forced me off the road. From the manner of his agressive driving i doubt if he cared if he knocked me off. What would have been the punishment if he had....2000 baht fine and a telling off. Not very civilised at times this place is it.

The big construction trucks and concrete mixers usually drive like they own the road but by far the most aggressive and idiotic are the mini-bus drivers. My work takes me round the hotels and resorts and I know many of the GMs. Five or six times now I have noted the number of the lunatic minibus and the time of day and got straight onto the phone to let the resorts manager know that one of his drivers is drunk, on drugs or simply a maniac and has just run me (and several others) off the road for no other reason apart from fun. I've been pleased to hear (later) that on two occasions the driver was later sacked.

If you are able to try to see the name of what company or resort is printed on the minibus and phone to complain. It might help if people started doing this!

R

If you are able to try to see the name of what company or resort is printed on the minibus and phone to complain

wasnt there a name and shame thread a while back?

They arn't really interested. The courtesy fortunas that are used by some of the 5* hotels i've seen being driven disgracefully. The drivers clearly don't care the hotel name is printed on the side.

If you are able to try to see the name of what company or resort is printed on the minibus and phone to complain

They arn't really interested. The courtesy fortunas that are used by some of the 5* hotels i've seen being driven disgracefully. The drivers clearly don't care the hotel name is printed on the side.

You missed the point a bit here - that five-star resort and its General Manager care a great deal.

(You weren't contemplating complaining to the van driver, were you? :lol: )

R

cool.gif

I've heard the opinion many times that Thai bus drivers are often high on Yaaba of other amphetamines, and that would seem consistent with their very aggressive driving habits.

BTW, if he had knocked you off the road by illegally coming into your lane, you would probably have had to pay him and the BIB more than 2000 baht.

mainly local Thai from Samui blaming the farangs not to let them drive even faster and totally selfishly are absolutely not only with themselves but with others careless frankly speaking. It is getting worse since the car are becoming vans and vans becoming trucks.....NOT ONLY the farangs please not many are that crazy either.

I have even myself given up driving and less and less visiting Samui....UP to YOU......

B)

The big construction trucks and concrete mixers usually drive like they own the road but by far the most aggressive and idiotic are the mini-bus drivers. My work takes me round the hotels and resorts and I know many of the GMs. Five or six times now I have noted the number of the lunatic minibus and the time of day and got straight onto the phone to let the resorts manager know that one of his drivers is drunk, on drugs or simply a maniac and has just run me (and several others) off the road for no other reason apart from fun. I've been pleased to hear (later) that on two occasions the driver was later sacked.

If you are able to try to see the name of what company or resort is printed on the minibus and phone to complain. It might help if people started doing this!

R

so your head is wanted by two drivers sacked.........

B)

don't for get their cameras and the driver with a bottle of beer in his/her hand

i suppose they have the company car syndromme. the attidude " it ain't my car so i don't givce a shit if i wreck it "

I sore something very intersting last week in Phuket. I have't seen it in thailand since up till last week. it was a sign post with the speed limit. so i actually knew what the speek of the traffic should be.

i was shocked what is going to happen next. will they make traffic lights 24 hrs or keep them blinking all night.

also that white line on the side of the road is the bike lane. it would be nice if they could get some change together and paint some sign on the road. suppose bangkok hospital would not be happy lol

i suppose they have the company car syndromme. the attidude " it ain't my car so i don't givce a shit if i wreck it "

Thats true i think about the company car syndrome. Thing is, these "drivers" of the VIP buses seem to take it to a different level. i really don't think some of them even care if they run over and kill someone. Frankly, would any proper punishment be handed out if they did? I very much doubt it, and there lies the main problem.

He didnt say thread it. He said phone it (to those in charge of those vehicles)

Source of all evil on Samui roads is the lazy 'Royal Thai Police' of Samui. They only collect 300 THB for not wearing helmets from Farrang once a month.

As everybody knows Samui is a lawless island when it comes to traffic law. And so is the driving from everybody!

Set up 3-5 daily checkpoints for 1 month, charge the wrongdoers and things will change within days.

But insteed they start a campaigne 'Smoke Free Samui'. There are 99 much more important problems on the islands to solve first!jap.gif

Edited by yogya

Source of all evil on Samui roads is the lazy 'Royal Thai Police' of Samui. They only collect 300 THB for not wearing helmets from Farrang once a month.

As everybody knows Samui is a lawless island when it comes to traffic law. And so is the driving from everybody!

Set up 3-5 daily checkpoints for 1 month, charge the wrongdoers and things will change within days.

But insteed they start a campaigne 'Smoke Free Samui'. There are 99 much more important problems on the islands to solve first!jap.gif

Yogya,

Thais are also being fined for not wearing helmets, not only the Westerners are being given this treatment.

The problem is in the fact that the Police force doesn't seem to have the man power to deal with all the problems that are blatant on Samui. Once they have the manpower, they will need proper training.............