Anti-malarials

rio666uk

I guess its applicable to all areas but for you farrang guys living in Issan longterm - do you take anti-malarials or just rely on deet etc...?

Ive always taken em for shorter stays, a month or so, but what about when you live in a malarial regions..?

Very rare to get the type of mossie that carries Malaria here in Ubon town - more prevelent out in the wilds.

Never taken the drugs whilst here but did when I took a contract in Nigeria and came down with Malaria after 3 months!

Mossies are a big problem but more because of the irritation than anything else - there are lots of different types and some still give me problems if one gets into the bedroom but most of them you build up a resistance to.

Had some people visit some years ago and one of their children had severe problems with mossie bites - came up in huge blisters at every bite and still carries the scars after 12 years.

My answer to mossie? Coils and spray around the house and screens on the bedroom windows and door. If a bad biting mossie manages to get in - cover the wife and spray!

Another big problem and maybe worse than Malaria, which is easily diagnosed and treated if you have the money, is Dengue fever.

OK thanks thaibites0

"Very rare to get the type of mossie that carries Malaria here in Ubon town - more prevelent out in the wilds."

Id be in a fairly remote region about 2hrs east on nongkhai town and an hour north of sakhon nakhon - its a few km's away from the mekong river and there are many large lakes there. I think ill have to look into this some more, especially dengue fever. :o

OK thanks thaibites0

"Very rare to get the type of mossie that carries Malaria here in Ubon town - more prevelent out in the wilds."

Id be in a fairly remote region about 2hrs east on nongkhai town and an hour north of sakhon nakhon - its a few km's away from the mekong river and there are many large lakes there.  I think ill have to look into this some more, especially dengue fever.  :o

I have lived in Singapore for 12 years, and although it is largely urban and very clean, there are lots of mozzies here (most days I get a few bites) - and whatever the government line, there is also malaria and dengue. I have never taken anti-malarials while here, nor during my monthly visits to Isaan. Nor does anyone I know. A few friends have had dengue over the years, but not the "bad" form, and although unpleasant for a long time they recovered. I don't think taking anti-malraials for a long time is recommended (distant memory of reading that somewhere), but do your checks elsewhere, get several opinions, and make your own decision.

Edited by phibunmike

Don't be a wimp!!! Malaria and Dengue fever aren't so bad...some people who get them are just whiners...it doesn't bother real men!!!

Just joking of course. Neither my wife nor I have ever heard of any Thai people taking anti malarials...I don't...I did when I was a tourist many years ago but when I moved here and found that no one took them then I decided why bother....but I live in the north so you should evaluate where you are going to live but if I recall correctly the north has more malaria than Isaan but even so malaria isn't that common in the north and if you take precautions to not get bit too much you probably are safe.

Dengue fever I know nothing about except that it does happen but its not very common. Don't think there's any medicine to help avoid it though.

No I have never used anti-malarials

just use commensense cover up and relpelent on my feet mainly

I sit outside at night and not get bitten normaly if my wife is sitting in the same spot she gets eaten alive. I tell her it because she is so sweet

I think the bug spray isn't such a good idea either. If you are living there long term you don't want to be around that stuff daily. It has to be bad for you to take anti-malarials year in and year out. Just look at the Thai's around you. They are not dropping left and right are they? Just know the early symptoms and if you are unluky and get sick treat it early.

I think the bug spray isn't such a good idea either. If you are living there long term you don't want to be around that stuff daily. It has to be bad for you to take anti-malarials year in and year out. Just look at the Thai's around you. They are not dropping left and right are they? Just know the early symptoms and if you are unluky and get sick treat it early.

No longterm use of anti-malarials cant do you much good - ive always taken malarone before, which are supposed to be the mutts nuts - apart from costing a fortune you can still feel their side effects. Although malarone is one of the best anti-malarials that can be used for treating the illness too - maybe ill keep some in the medicine cabinet just in case eh.

cheers

Was told by doctor you can only take anti malaria pills etc for about 6 mths after that you have to break for a few months. If you miss a day it ruins the course. If you get malaria they only treat it with the similar medication anyway. Why bother?

Deet is ok but it stinks as do most other sprays, but I guess it's better than being bitten.

Avoid sitting out at dusk & dawn as this is when the bugs like to eat.

Wear long trousers / shirt in the evening.

Eat citrus fruit, savory ( marmite works a treat ) and spicy

Avoid suger of all kinds including beer, fizzy drinks.

The best option is to get your lady partner to be with you. They always get more bites because a womans blood is actually sweeter,leaving you to enjoy your beer in peace. :o