Anti Theft Spare Wheel

hansje

Ok brand new pjs, but under the car a brand new spare wheel which can easily be stolen... So i need to replace the wheel with a used old one... Any idea howmuch that would cost? Dont want to pay 3000 if a good used one can be bought for say 600-800...

Talking bout wheels, how to protect the other 4? In europe all new cars come with a locked seperate thingy (dont know the word, sorry), each wheel has 6 of them to keep them in place but 1 of them has a different unique fitting which cannot be unlocked without my device/key. I need a set of 4 (each wheel 1). Howmuch are these and can these be bought at all wheel/tyre/rims stores?

All advice is welcome!

Thx in advance! H.

Why not see if one of those plastic covered chain locks that they use for motor cycles security will tie your spare to something. If your that worried you can buy a 7/16 thread, bolt with eye. Drill one hole near spare, nut either side of the hole, then padlock to the eye. :)

Why not see if one of those plastic covered chain locks that they use for motor cycles security will tie your spare to something. If your that worried you can buy a 7/16 thread, bolt with eye. Drill one hole near spare, nut either side of the hole, then padlock to the eye. :)

Forgot, is not the spare wheel of pressed steel, not alloy. ?

Forgot, is not the spare wheel of pressed steel, not alloy. ?

Toyota sell a spare wheel lock, not expencive. Pjs must do the same, if not try the Toyota one.

This sparked my curiosity, so I went and had a look at the way the spare wheel is secured and accessed.. From what I see, the only way to steal the spare would be to break into the car itself, or apply a massive amount of force to try and shear the hidden and inaccessible chain that secures it up to the vehicle body. The piece of chain that dangles down is inconsequential slack - cutting it won't get you anywhere.

Either that or I'm just not a very good theif - perhaps I should stick to my day job? ;)

This sparked my curiosity, so I went and had a look at the way the spare wheel is secured and accessed.. From what I see, the only way to steal the spare would be to break into the car itself, or apply a massive amount of force to try and shear the hidden and inaccessible chain that secures it up to the vehicle body. The piece of chain that dangles down is inconsequential slack - cutting it won't get you anywhere.

Either that or I'm just not a very good theif - perhaps I should stick to my day job? ;)

With the Toyota you need the supplied tool to lower the spare, but if someone brought their own then they can nic it, but it is a pressed steel rim so theft l think is not likely, just steal a car, park up and nic the lot. :D

I just bought a good quality pad lock and looped it through a lug hole and lowering chain. OK if the thieves really want the wheel they will need a hack saw and alot of time. The lock is wrapped in a plastic bag to keep the road grime out of it.

With the Toyota you need the supplied tool to lower the spare, but if someone brought their own then they can nic it, but it is a pressed steel rim so theft l think is not likely, just steal a car, park up and nic the lot. :D

as i recall, sparewheel lowering is only accessible with open rear hatch on Fortuner and Pajero Sport

. And you can buy a lock at a few hundred baht

so are the locking wheel bolts, a few hundred baht,

but leave the key for wheel lock and spare lock inside car :rolleyes:

Stick to the day job!

I had the spare stolen from my Prerunner earlier this month, and apparently spare wheel theft from pick-ups/SUVs is becoming commonplace.

The only "equipment" needed is that available with just about any pick-up, preferably with a rechargeable drill to speed up the process, and a saw to cut off Toyota's optional lock (they took that as well!). Impossible to pin down just when or where it was taken as its not something I check regularly, but in the three week window between having it serviced at Toyota and noticing the loose chain there were very few possibilities and the most likely was when it was parked in Wat Chai (Pattaya Tai).

Most of the cheaper wheel locks/chains can be cut in seconds with bolt cutters (as can the slack in the lowering chain if you have padlocked the wheel to that) so I will be adding a heavy stainless steel chain (from the yacht chandlers!) and a decent lock, or getting a stainless steel "cap and cover" made for the winding mechanism. Replacing a stolen spare, even with first class insurance, can be pricey: the insurance covers the full cost of the wheel (considerable for a 17" Prerunner original) but only 50% of the cost of the tyre, even if it is only a few months old and unused - 50% is 4,000 baht from Toyota! To be fair to Aioi Insurance, after a number of lengthy telephone conversations with their head office in Bangkok they agreed to pay for the full cost of both wheel and tyre (and the Toyota lock!), but don't count on that as neither Toyota nor my regular insurance agent had ever heard of any insurance company doing this unless it was specified in the policy with a hefty surcharge and both said that 50% was the standard deduction in Thailand.

Its indeed very popular, stealing spare wheels... at least here in bkk it is :s

About the other 4 tires, pickup arrives at the parked car, 4 guys jump out, steel 4 wheels within 2,5 minutes... very common. Thats why i need a used spare one, as thiefs eventually can steal it anyway, same goes for the bolts which nobody somehow has in bkk :(

Anyways... Just want to make it harder for them so they skip my car, lol.

Thanks for all replies!

H.

Stick to the day job!

I had the spare stolen from my Prerunner earlier this month, and apparently spare wheel theft from pick-ups/SUVs is becoming commonplace.

The only "equipment" needed is that available with just about any pick-up, preferably with a rechargeable drill to speed up the process, and a saw to cut off Toyota's optional lock (they took that as well!). Impossible to pin down just when or where it was taken as its not something I check regularly, but in the three week window between having it serviced at Toyota and noticing the loose chain there were very few possibilities and the most likely was when it was parked in Wat Chai (Pattaya Tai).

Most of the cheaper wheel locks/chains can be cut in seconds with bolt cutters (as can the slack in the lowering chain if you have padlocked the wheel to that) so I will be adding a heavy stainless steel chain (from the yacht chandlers!) and a decent lock, or getting a stainless steel "cap and cover" made for the winding mechanism. Replacing a stolen spare, even with first class insurance, can be pricey: the insurance covers the full cost of the wheel (considerable for a 17" Prerunner original) but only 50% of the cost of the tyre, even if it is only a few months old and unused - 50% is 4,000 baht from Toyota! To be fair to Aioi Insurance, after a number of lengthy telephone conversations with their head office in Bangkok they agreed to pay for the full cost of both wheel and tyre (and the Toyota lock!), but don't count on that as neither Toyota nor my regular insurance agent had ever heard of any insurance company doing this unless it was specified in the policy with a hefty surcharge and both said that 50% was the standard deduction in Thailand.

'' Stick to the day job '' :unsure:

You obviously don't read this forum very often.:rolleyes:

So it is a crap pressed steel rim. ;)

No mass market cars come with an alloy spare.

These days you're lucky enough if you get a full-size spare instead of a speed-limited space saver..

My point being, who would nic it. Nic the car for the alloy stuff. :)

MRO and TRANSAM... so basically what you guys are saying is, the PJS alloywheels is of no use for thiefs and thus not steel it ?

So I can consider myself lucky having a PJS, because they only steel wheels from other cars ?!

Please let me know if I am getting this correct, as my Thai mommy (I am a Luk Kreung) says I HAVE TO DO IT... else she gets pissed at me, lol...

She is just afraid they gonna be stolen.. :/

.............Either that or I'm just not a very good theif - perhaps I should stick to my day job?

Stick to the day job! ........

'' Stick to the day job '' :unsure:

You obviously don't read this forum very often.:rolleyes:

On the contrary, TA, I read it regularly and am well aware of MRO's proven expertise in his field and whose advice is worth heeding and whose is best ignored.

While "no mass market cars come with an alloy spare" a number of pick-ups and SUVs do and it is these spares that are unfortunately the most easily stolen and consequently the most targetted in Thailand - according to my insurers, considerably more than sets of road wheels.

These days you're lucky enough if you get a full-size spare instead of a speed-limited space saver..

Alloy spares, full size same spec

my 2008 Honda Accord 2,4

my 2010 Vigo 3,0 4x4 auto 4 door G

Interesting, must have changed stuff, my 2007 4x4 auto Vigo has pressed steel rim spare. :huh:

OP, my point was IF the spare is a cheap pressed steel rim it probably won't get stolen.

Alloy spares, full size same spec

my 2008 Honda Accord 2,4

my 2010 Vigo 3,0 4x4 auto 4 door G

Interesting, must have changed stuff, my 2007 4x4 auto Vigo has pressed steel rim spare. :huh:

OP, my point was IF the spare is a cheap pressed steel rim it probably won't get stolen.

when Vigo and Fortuner went 17" on top spec late 2008, I assume they didint bother to press 17" steel rims. as part time 4x4 must have same wheel diameter to avoid damage on transfer case, spare must be 17"

but as I recall my 2005 Fortuner had alloy spare too,16"

but my 2004 and 2006 Vigo top spec did have steel rim spares

"Talking bout wheels, how to protect the other 4? In europe all new cars come with a locked seperate thingy (dont know the word, sorry), each wheel has 6 of them to keep them in place but 1 of them has a different unique fitting which cannot be unlocked without my device/key. I need a set of 4 (each wheel 1). Howmuch are these and can these be bought at all wheel/tyre/rims stores?"

In the States they are called lug nuts, and they also sell after market locking lug nuts, in 2 styles; The older versions took standard style keys. The flaw in this design is the nut has a sleeve cylinder that just spins, not allowing a wrench to grab the lug nut, and can be broken off with hammer. The 2nd design is a solid lug nut with clover leaf shaped indentation (female), each shaped different from others. This is accompanied with a matching clover leaf key (;male), Because they are one piece and made with high grade steal, they are virtually indestructable.

I have yet to find these in Thailand, and if you or anyone else does find them, I'd appreciate knowing where.

"Talking bout wheels, how to protect the other 4? In europe all new cars come with a locked seperate thingy (dont know the word, sorry), each wheel has 6 of them to keep them in place but 1 of them has a different unique fitting which cannot be unlocked without my device/key. I need a set of 4 (each wheel 1). Howmuch are these and can these be bought at all wheel/tyre/rims stores?"

In the States they are called lug nuts, and they also sell after market locking lug nuts, in 2 styles; The older versions took standard style keys. The flaw in this design is the nut has a sleeve cylinder that just spins, not allowing a wrench to grab the lug nut, and can be broken off with hammer. The 2nd design is a solid lug nut with clover leaf shaped indentation (female), each shaped different from others. This is accompanied with a matching clover leaf key (;male), Because they are one piece and made with high grade steal, they are virtually indestructable.

I have yet to find these in Thailand, and if you or anyone else does find them, I'd appreciate knowing where.

Tire shops that specialize in aftermarket rims will have these in stock. Cost is ~600-1000 Baht/set

Most of the cheaper wheel locks/chains can be cut in seconds with bolt cutters (as can the slack in the lowering chain if you have padlocked the wheel to that) so I will be adding a heavy stainless steel chain (from the yacht chandlers!) and a decent lock, or getting a stainless steel "cap and cover" made for the winding mechanism.

After getting the spare replaced by Toyota I tried to buy a decent-sized stainless steel chain - none available! I also realised that although the Toyota lock looks impressive and it looks as if it is a tight fit so that you can't get at the post with bolt cutters, in practice it is very easy to get a 1 - 2 cm gap between the lock and the wheel/wheel plate revealing the lock's weak point (the galvanised post) - PM me if you can't work out how.

I also checked the readily available bicycle locks - all easily cut in seconds with a small pair of bolt cutters.

The solution appears remarkably simple, as long as you have small hands - use a small padlock to lock links in the dead and live chains together as close to the lowering mechanism as possible (above the wheel, which is why you can't do it if you have hands like shovels!). Its impossible to lower the wheel without removing the padlock and also impossible to cut the padlock as you can't get to it with a file, saw or bolt cutters. I'll still be adding a bicycle lock (or two) as a visible deterrent, so hopefully they'll try someone else's next time.

Most of the cheaper wheel locks/chains can be cut in seconds with bolt cutters (as can the slack in the lowering chain if you have padlocked the wheel to that) so I will be adding a heavy stainless steel chain (from the yacht chandlers!) and a decent lock, or getting a stainless steel "cap and cover" made for the winding mechanism.

After getting the spare replaced by Toyota I tried to buy a decent-sized stainless steel chain - none available! I also realised that although the Toyota lock looks impressive and it looks as if it is a tight fit so that you can't get at the post with bolt cutters, in practice it is very easy to get a 1 - 2 cm gap between the lock and the wheel/wheel plate revealing the lock's weak point (the galvanised post) - PM me if you can't work out how.

I also checked the readily available bicycle locks - all easily cut in seconds with a small pair of bolt cutters.

The solution appears remarkably simple, as long as you have small hands - use a small padlock to lock links in the dead and live chains together as close to the lowering mechanism as possible (above the wheel, which is why you can't do it if you have hands like shovels!). Its impossible to lower the wheel without removing the padlock and also impossible to cut the padlock as you can't get to it with a file, saw or bolt cutters. I'll still be adding a bicycle lock (or two) as a visible deterrent, so hopefully they'll try someone else's next time.

4,6 and 8mm stainless steel chains available at Homepro and most Marinas/chandlerys. We use them for bikes. large (60cm) bolt cutter needed

• 3 weeks later...

Stick to the day job!

Thanks for sharing.

I too had my spare tire stolen from my PJS just last week while visiting BKK!!!

Lets see how my insurance will handle this...

Until I can find a cheap pressed steel wheel for a Fortuner my anti theft system is keeping the spare wheel in the outside toilet at home, not ideal I know!

My spare got stolen after I had the car for about 2 months, the insurance paid 50% so it cost me 3,700 baht to get a replacement. The thieves even took the Toyota provided spare wheel lock with them.

• 1 month later...