Chiang Mai Mail

brommers

I think it may also be that their sister publication (and main money maker) the Pattaya Mail is under severe pressure from the very successful new 'Pattaya One' newspaper, a forum sponsor. (And even have their own subform on TV).

I would urge you all to take a look at it; when reading it you just know that it's very hard to compete with that. (This is speaking objectively because I know sex, violence and humor about the misery of others sells newspapers like a wildfire, making it good for business. Personally I don't think very highly of it, but please judge for yourself.)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/157-pattayaone-discussion-forum/

This month's issue:

MAIL OPINION: By Shana Kongmun

What news?

Well, it certainly is a sad day for all of us here at the Chiang Mai Mail as we, too have finally succumbed to the financial difficulties facing businesses here in Chiang Mai and in media in general as we are now forced to temporarily cease printing of the newspaper.

And while many herald the end of print media as we, too go online, it’s a sad day for everyone when the only English language local news source can no longer print. Many people prefer to read a real newspaper and some don’t have internet, or as we know, have really awful internet and find it more convenient to read a newspaper in print.

We will continue to publish news of interest to our readers online, so while the Chiang Mai Mail will no longer be available at your local supermarket or 7-11 you will be able to find us online.

Subscribers please visit our office on the 2nd ring road with your receipt for a refund, or fax your receipt to 053 260 738 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 053 260 738 end_of_the_skype_highlighting along with your banking details. Alternatively, scan your receipt to [e mail removed] and bank details.

So, it is with quite a heavy heart that we must say goodbye to the printed version of the Chiang Mai Mail. I guess we never really know what we are missing until it’s gone

Edited by Lite Beer
E Mail removed

Finally, after months and years of crap news stories, the Chiang Mai Mail closes.

I don't know why the crap news, but I'm glad to see it go.

Maybe it will give somebody with some news background a chance in Chiang Mai. :)

Finally, after months and years of crap news stories, the Chiang Mai Mail closes.

Maybe it will give somebody with some news background a chance in Chiang Mai. :)

I think most us of would agree with you.

As i said, it's not very good at news reporting. Think of the recent food poisoning tragedy. They seem to concentrate on covering the so called hi so events and parties

I am sure they are nice people, as Richard said, but looking at it positively I hope this may prove an opportunity for some innovator to give the expat community the reliable news source that is so much needed here.

Citylife articles are excellent but news is not something that can be covered by a monthly paper of course. An organisation like Citylfe could possibly see an opportunity here for a weekly paper for news. I certainly hope so. Citylife is professional and they know their business.

LJW, I'm about as guilty as you are when it comes to skimming thru the information in these threads. Sometimes I miss important points too. You must have skimmed past the part where it said Chiang Mai Mail is not closing.

Anyone is free to start their own version of a news service. I don't think Chiang Mai Mail in any ways inhibited the chances of any other person to start their version of a news information service. Chiang Mai Mail was a big part of Chiang Mai ex-pat culture. There was a time when those newspapers were everywhere. As the internet grew more in Chiang Mai, the importance of print media declined. Adjusting to the change is something Chiang Mai Mail is doing now. Since they will not be printing for a while, I am curious to see how they will use their resources for other projects.

If you're expecting to see them go, you might be expecting too much. Their are not leaving, they are evolving to meet 21st century demand. B)

LJW, I'm about as guilty as you are when it comes to skimming thru the information in these threads. Sometimes I miss important points too. You must have skimmed past the part where it said Chiang Mai Mail is not closing.

Anyone is free to start their own version of a news service. I don't think Chiang Mai Mail in any ways inhibited the chances of any other person to start their version of a news information service. Chiang Mai Mail was a big part of Chiang Mai ex-pat culture. There was a time when those newspapers were everywhere. As the internet grew more in Chiang Mai, the importance of print media declined. Adjusting to the change is something Chiang Mai Mail is doing now. Since they will not be printing for a while, I am curious to see how they will use their resources for other projects.

If you're expecting to see them go, you might be expecting too much. Their are not leaving, they are evolving to meet 21st century demand. B)

I really need to pay attention to what I write. There are a few errors in what I wrote.

I think the point was the lack of good coverage of news generally over a long period. So whether they publish on line or on paper won't change that

I'm all for a better and more professional approach to news for expats and I believe that I and others would support such a service. Citylife is an excellent monthly magazine. There's a need for a good news weekly of the same standard.

I don't hesitate in agreeing with you that they are nice people. What was pointed out was their track record amongst the expat community on providing news.

You aren't on commission with them or anyone else are you ?? :lol: :lol:

As i said, it's not very good at news reporting. Think of the recent food poisoning tragedy. They seem to concentrate on covering the so called hi so events and parties

I am sure they are nice people, as Richard said, but looking at it positively I hope this may prove an opportunity for some innovator to give the expat community the reliable news source that is so much needed here.

Citylife articles are excellent but news is not something that can be covered by a monthly paper of course. An organisation like Citylfe could possibly see an opportunity here for a weekly paper for news. I certainly hope so. Citylife is professional and they know their business.

Do you even read your own crap

You fault them for a event that happened after they closed.

What innovator

The English speaking people in Chiang Mai are not into spending the money or time it would take to put out a paper that would not support it's self. You talk about City Life being a quality paper. You say they are profesional and know there business.

Did it not strike you as funny that these Quality Professional knowing people only put out a free monthly edition.

It did in fact lack a lot of good articles it how ever was constrained by money. This might and probably will come as a shock to you but it takes money to report all the news and look behind the front page grabbing headlines and dig out the truth. Even then would the average cheap Charlie pay for the news paper? I doubt it. Even citylife witch is free dose not get all it's papers picked up. I have been in places with last months edition still there.

This was all covered on a previous thread and the general feeling was Chiang Mai did not want a hard copy news paper.:(

What innovator

The English speaking people in Chiang Mai are not into spending the money or time it would take to put out a paper that would not support it's self. You talk about City Life being a quality paper. You say they are profesional and know there business.

Did it not strike you as funny that these Quality Professional knowing people only put out a free monthly edition.

It did in fact lack a lot of good articles it how ever was constrained by money. This might and probably will come as a shock to you but it takes money to report all the news and look behind the front page grabbing headlines and dig out the truth. Even then would the average cheap Charlie pay for the news paper? I doubt it. Even citylife witch is free dose not get all it's papers picked up. I have been in places with last months edition still there.

This was all covered on a previous thread and the general feeling was Chiang Mai did not want a hard copy news paper.:(

I'll ignore the opening flame about my reading crap. But perhaps in the circumstances, and as you have raised it, you will permit me to call your writing crap. Look at the bold items above.

They have not closed , there is still an online edition.

Their track record is on hi so events and parties more than real news. Look over the last six months and see the coverage.

Can't see why you are knocking Citylife. I was not aware "they were constrained by money" and I suspect you actually don't know their finances either. I don't know much about them byut the consensus is that they have many good articles. Many business models in the media rely on advertising and not magazine price. It make good business sense to publish free copies which generate wide circulation and advertising revenue.

What innovator

I'll ignore the opening flame about my reading crap. But perhaps in the circumstances, and as you have raised it, you will permit me to call your writing crap. Look at the bold items above.

They have not closed , there is still an online edition.

Their track record is on hi so events and parties more than real news. Look over the last six months and see the coverage.

Can't see why you are knocking Citylife. I was not aware "they were constrained by money" and I suspect you actually don't know their finances either. I don't know much about them byut the consensus is that they have many good articles. Many business models in the media rely on advertising and not magazine price. It make good business sense to publish free copies which generate wide circulation and advertising revenue.

I will miss their food reviews ,i learned of a several eateries from this paper so for me it was very new worthy ! thanks . "City Strife" is a good rag too, so why all the negative stuff all the time ?

If ex-pats want something in Chiang Mai, perhaps they should contact an organization like Chiang Mai Friends Group and see if they can help them get what they want. That is one of the purposes of the Chiang Mai friends group.

As far as the type of news available, there are many different styles and subjects to make a magazine about in the USA. For example, Newsweek does one kind of reporting and Sports Illustrated does another kind. If you are not a sports nut you should not criticize Sports Illustrated for not writing about what Barack Obama is planning to do with the economy.

Chiang Mai Mail is for a particular audience as well. If you don't like it does not mean the rest of the community feels the same way as you do. You have your opinion and you should find something else to read that makes you happy.

There are people in Chiang Mai who like Chiang Mai Mail. I like Chiang Mai Mail and I hope it stays in Chiang Mai. There is a lot happening in Chiang Mai in the next 10 years and we need a magazine like Chiang Mai Mail to help show a different perspective to the English readers in this city.

If ex-pats want something in Chiang Mai, perhaps they should contact an organization like Chiang Mai Friends Group and see if they can help them get what they want. That is one of the purposes of the Chiang Mai friends group.

As far as the type of news available, there are many different styles and subjects to make a magazine about in the USA. For example, Newsweek does one kind of reporting and Sports Illustrated does another kind. If you are not a sports nut you should not criticize Sports Illustrated for not writing about what Barack Obama is planning to do with the economy.

Chiang Mai Mail is for a particular audience as well. If you don't like it does not mean the rest of the community feels the same way as you do. You have your opinion and you should find something else to read that makes you happy.

There are people in Chiang Mai who like Chiang Mai Mail. I like Chiang Mai Mail and I hope it stays in Chiang Mai. There is a lot happening in Chiang Mai in the next 10 years and we need a magazine like Chiang Mai Mail to help show a different perspective to the English readers in this city.

I agree of course that some people like Chiamgmai mail. You obviously like it too. Everyone has a choice to read what they like. But its track record on news is not good. Yes, they are good people from what you say - no-one disputes that either; but clearly not enough readers support it to allow it to survive as written media.

News and information media need advertisers too. One has to wait and see if the online editions can survive if readership and consequently advertising is low.

Why not draft a business plan, taking into account potential revenues and costs, analyse past and projected readership levels, get some bank support and then approach on eof the expat clubs and see if they are interested. You say that is one of "the purposes of the group". But I don't think you're right on that, and you'd have to be very persuasive to get a bank manager to be interested. From your posts I don't envy your chances

I agree of course that some people like Chiamgmai mail. You obviously like it too. Everyone has a choice to read what they like. But its track record on news is not good. Yes, they are good people from what you say - no-one disputes that either; but clearly not enough readers support it to allow it to survive as written media.

News and information media need advertisers too. One has to wait and see if the online editions can survive if readership and consequently advertising is low.

Why not draft a business plan, taking into account potential revenues and costs, analyse past and projected readership levels, get some bank support and then approach on eof the expat clubs and see if they are interested. You say that is one of "the purposes of the group". But I don't think you're right on that, and you'd have to be very persuasive to get a bank manager to be interested. From your posts I don't envy your chances

Chiang Mai Mail is obviously doing something about their current situation. If they were not, then they would say they are going to stop business all together.

Chiang Mai Mail has been delivering local news to Chiang Mai for quite a long time. They have an excellent track record of delivering the news constantly for about 10 years now. It is up to them what kind of news they want to write about. When it becomes your business, then you can decide what you want to write about.

The business environment is constantly changing and from time to time businesses have to change to survive. Chiang Mai Mail is doing that now. I don't know why people are saying such bad things about Chiang Mai Mail. You don't see Chiang Mai Mail coming online wishing your source of income should fail. I haven't seen them once say I hope LJW looses his job and has his visa cancelled. People should not say those kind of things about other people. If that keeps happening the mods should close this thread.

Caf, read what I said. People like you who are not satisfied with how things are being done should find a group like the Chiang Mai Friends Group and ask them to help you with your complaints. You can complain on ThaiVisa all you like but unless you are willing to step away from your computer and do something about it then your words are empty, hollow, and meaningless.

Also, keep in mind, the Chiang Mai Friends Group is not and ex-pats club. If it were, that would indicate only ex-pats participate in the group. There are many Thais who participate in the group.

Chiang Mai Mail is obviously doing something about their current situation. If they were not, then they would say they are going to stop business all together.

Chiang Mai Mail has been delivering local news to Chiang Mai for quite a long time. They have an excellent track record of delivering the news constantly for about 10 years now. It is up to them what kind of news they want to write about. When it becomes your business, then you can decide what you want to write about.

The business environment is constantly changing and from time to time businesses have to change to survive. Chiang Mai Mail is doing that now. I don't know why people are saying such bad things about Chiang Mai Mail. You don't see Chiang Mai Mail coming online wishing your source of income should fail. I haven't seen them once say I hope LJW looses his job and has his visa cancelled. People should not say those kind of things about other people. If that keeps happening the mods should close this thread.

Caf, read what I said. People like you who are not satisfied with how things are being done should find a group like the Chiang Mai Friends Group and ask them to help you with your complaints. You can complain on ThaiVisa all you like but unless you are willing to step away from your computer and do something about it then your words are empty, hollow, and meaningless.

Also, keep in mind, the Chiang Mai Friends Group is not and ex-pats club. If it were, that would indicate only ex-pats participate in the group. There are many Thais who participate in the group.

"an excellent track record of delivering the news constantly for about 10 years now" NOT. They closed their doors and were off the street for almost a year back in 07.

"an excellent track record of delivering the news constantly for about 10 years now" NOT. They closed their doors and were off the street for almost a year back in 07.

I didn't notice

MAIL OPINION: By Shana Kongmun

What news?

Well, it certainly is a sad day for all of us here at the Chiang Mai Mail as we, too have finally succumbed to the financial difficulties facing businesses here in Chiang Mai and in media in general as we are now forced to temporarily cease printing of the newspaper.

And while many herald the end of print media as we, too go online, it’s a sad day for everyone when the only English language local news source can no longer print. Many people prefer to read a real newspaper and some don’t have internet, or as we know, have really awful internet and find it more convenient to read a newspaper in print.

We will continue to publish news of interest to our readers online, so while the Chiang Mai Mail will no longer be available at your local supermarket or 7-11 you will be able to find us online.

Subscribers please visit our office on the 2nd ring road with your receipt for a refund, or fax your receipt to 053 260 738 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 053 260 738 end_of_the_skype_highlighting along with your banking details. Alternatively, scan your receipt to [e mail removed] and bank details.

So, it is with quite a heavy heart that we must say goodbye to the printed version of the Chiang Mai Mail. I guess we never really know what we are missing until it’s gone

Always sad when people lose their jobs but CM Mail could have worked if it has been professionally produced. Pattaya One is showing the way - good reporting, interesting news and other items as well as a fresh, modern and bright appearance. I am a great supporter of local newspapers, and when I came to live here in CM I purchased CM Mail right away - for two issues. I found it to be an appalling rag. It was a lost opportunity. So not sad to see it go where it deserves to be.

"I didn't notice "

AMAZING :whistling:

Why should it matter if I notice or not. They came back. Please tell me you have more to your argument than just amazing. If not, look at your your own login name and take your own advice.

richard10365

Stop and take a look at where you are.

They are more interested in mayonnaise than English speaking news papers.

There idea of quality is a magazine that is free and has mostly ad's in it. If it cost money they would not buy it.

As was pointed out earlier on this thread the people running it know what they are doing. They realize that Chiang Mai is not interested in news. A few information articles and a ton of ad's.B)

Always sad when people lose their jobs but CM Mail could have worked if it has been professionally produced. Pattaya One is showing the way - good reporting, interesting news and other items as well as a fresh, modern and bright appearance. I am a great supporter of local newspapers, and when I came to live here in CM I purchased CM Mail right away - for two issues. I found it to be an appalling rag. It was a lost opportunity. So not sad to see it go where it deserves to be.

Exactly right. What the CM Mail thought they were doing was beyond me -- just a grab bag of superficial, poorly written stories that came nowhere close to covering what's going on in Chiang Mai.

You can't fool people for long, especially when it's laid out in print for all to see. Sometimes you can fake it until you make it, but they never progressed past the fake it part.

You've had your answers, Richard, in the last few posts

You seem blind to the facts

Your reply to me is not even consistent with the points I made in my post. I explained the business issues facing Chiangmai Mail and other businesses because you raised that point. Now that posters have wrong footed you, you move away from your earlier posts.

Expat organisations do not exist to take over ailing businesses and even if they did banks would not support them based on the ideas you were promulgating.

Only a suggestion but perhaps you should re-read your posts and note the inconsistencies in your own arguments.

Your comments on Citylife, which does not purport to be a weekly news organ, are frankly nonsensical. You seem to have a list of organisations and businesses that can do no wrong in your eyes, and a second hit list of those you do not like.

Let people have their own opinions and don't get personal when you are disagreed with.:

As many have said, the Mail does not have a good track record on news. You even admit you did not notice! They do select what they write about though, I agree with you on that. Just that Mayonnaise ( see a previous poster) is not my cup of tea. Sorry for the mixed metaphor, but I prefer real news. So do the majority on here.

Citylife write articles of general interest to their readership and being monthly do not purport to be a news medium. The majority are happy with that

Caf, if you consider the people responding to this thread the majority of what makes up readers in Chiang Mai, then you are delusional.

What does wrong footed mean? What post am I moving away from?

I never said expat groups exist to take over ailing business. I suggested they might know how you can express your opinion to them. Do you drink when you are on Thaivisa? You obviously are missing what I am saying.

Another point, Citylife, which post did I talk about Citylife? Once again Caf, don't drink when you're reading Thaivisa. You're getting confused.

I do have a list of organizations that I know are trying to do things honestly to the best of their abilities. When **flame removed** like you come online to say things about them that are not true you bet I will jump in the conversation and defend good people from the moronic and stupid things you and some others are saying. If that makes me the bad guy in this thread then so be it. I will wear that badge with pride.

Edited by sbk

I do have a list of organizations that I know are trying to do things honestly to the best of their abilities...

The CM Mail was clearly unqualified to publish a real newspaper, never did so, and failed.

Maybe I'll try to be a neurosurgeon. Want to be my first patient, Richard?

I do have a list of organizations that I know are trying to do things honestly to the best of their abilities...

The CM Mail was clearly unqualified to publish a real newspaper, never did so, and failed.

Maybe I'll try to be a neurosurgeon. Want to be my first patient, Richard?

:cheesy: :cheesy:

Whoops coffee almost ejected over keyboard!

You've had your answers, Richard, in the last few posts

You seem blind to the facts

Your reply to me is not even consistent with the points I made in my post. I explained the business issues facing Chiangmai Mail and other businesses because you raised that point. Now that posters have wrong footed you, you move away from your earlier posts.

Expat organisations do not exist to take over ailing businesses and even if they did banks would not support them based on the ideas you were promulgating.

Only a suggestion but perhaps you should re-read your posts and note the inconsistencies in your own arguments.

Your comments on Citylife, which does not purport to be a weekly news organ, are frankly nonsensical. You seem to have a list of organisations and businesses that can do no wrong in your eyes, and a second hit list of those you do not like.

Let people have their own opinions and don't get personal when you are disagreed with.:

As many have said, the Mail does not have a good track record on news. You even admit you did not notice! They do select what they write about though, I agree with you on that. Just that Mayonnaise ( see a previous poster) is not my cup of tea. Sorry for the mixed metaphor, but I prefer real news. So do the majority on here.

Citylife write articles of general interest to their readership and being monthly do not purport to be a news medium. The majority are happy with that

You get what you pay for.

How much did you pay?