newsite12

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe not old enough to count as a superstition yet.:whistling:

Using a mobile phone outside (or sometimes at all) when it's raining. There is some basis to this belief, although of the 'A & B influenced by C' causality. Apparently someone's cousin / sister / auntie was talking on her mobile in the middle of a rice field, when she was struck by lightning.:o

Still, we in the west still believe that mobiles can ignite petrol vapour in a petrol station.<_<

has anyone heard of this I never knew thais believed in good luck or bad luck but then im still learning. do thais believe that when they reach the age of 25 that something bad will happen to them. this is what i have been told by my thai friend. and she has told me of a few people that bad things have happened to at that age. is she crazy or not.

A year after our house was built I was home by myself and heard a low pitched humming sound, I went on the front porch and noticed bees going in and out of the CPAC above the entry way.

I told the wife when she came home and she says on yah there's a bees nest the size of a man above the porch!!! the electrician had seen it when wiring in some flood lights. The monks were consultated and it was deceided to be a "good thing" "very lucky to have a monster bees nest in your attic"

I waited untill she was gone to the market and climbed up with 2 big cans of bug spray and emptyed as much as I could into the crawl space. The bees went crazy and I had to run for cover but it did the job and knocked the bees out of the nest. The wife bitched a little but in a day or two it was forgotten. I had honey dripping onto the porch for about a week.

I like the 'no shoes in the house' thing, don't know if it's a superstition or just common sense. I know a lot of people here in England who have the same 'rule' in their houses.

I heard that it's 'bad luck' to have your bed facing a certain direction, west, I think it was, but then everyone's bed in my g/f's sisters house faces west! So do many of the front doors.

The dogs love me more than anyone else 'cos I'm not scared to whistle for them to come. I've been asked 'you not scared of ghosts?' Answer, 'no, why would I be? firstly, they don't exist, and secondly, if they do, they used to be people and I'm a person so why would I be scared of them? If anything, they should be scared of me!'

Ms Tastic doesn't seem overly concerned by my whistling, nor is she or anyone else particularly obsessed by any superstitions. Buddha images should be kept in a high position but I think that's out of respect rather than fear.

Haven't heard anything about feng shui eg. 'don't put that there bad luck'

They did have a 'good luck' party with the strings on the wrists thing but I thought that was nice, everyone wishing good luck for a journey, we also had a 'good luck' thing in a local shrine which was, apparently, on an auspicious day, pretty much a day off work and a bit of a piss-up for everyone really.

The only thing that has irked me a little is the day they've chosen for our wedding is 2 days before pay day!

I suppose some folks might get into the whole thing but my g/f's family don't seem to over-subscribe to it all.

It's interesting though, to see a culture from the outside, these things become more apparent when they're different from what we're used to.

I like the comment previously about it being bad luck to have your hair cut on a wednesday but the barbers is still open! :lol:

Also, I think when someone says 'no no mai dai, bad luck' it really means 'can't be arsed'! :lol:

Edited by bifftastic

My girlfriend had managed to win 8,000bt in the last 4months, on the lottery, using lucky numbers. Her latest batch of numbers are, 44 after the result of the Arsenal v Newcastle game. Numbers already brought. Ah yes, she is well in pocket.

jb1

Thais have lots of crazy superstitions, one woman in this village turns into a bird then comes and watches what you do and then goes home, becomes a woman again and tells everyone.

And she's been sitting on my balcony every time one of my ladies comes to visit me, and then goes off to tell the others. I'm going to capture her and stick her in one of those bamboo cages. :realangry:

Thais have lots of crazy superstitions, one woman in this village turns into a bird then comes and watches what you do and then goes home, becomes a woman again and tells everyone.

And she's been sitting on my balcony every time one of my ladies comes to visit me, and then goes off to tell the others. I'm going to capture her and stick her in one of those bamboo cages. :realangry:

:lol: :lol:

For what its worth lol..

Don't cut yer nails at night its bad luck.

Don't locate or buy a house that is opposite a T-junction exit;

This was definitely evidenced last winter in our hilly city because 5 separate cars slid across the heavily snowed road hitting the homeowners cars parked opposite.

When we bought our house, my wife demanded we spend 60,000 baht to move the bedroom door 1 meter to right so it was not directly across from the bathroom. Apparently, 2 doors in alignment is very bad for the spirit world.

When we make a loan payment (e.g. the car, mortgage, credit card, etc.), we are not allowed to pay with bills that have than one 9 in them as that will destroy our luck.

For all of this though, I still love my wife dearly. I am sure we Westerners have equally odd habits, like thinking our government should be helpful, logical, and work for the people rather than themselves. Thais are not under any such illusions. In some ways, they are more rational than we are.

For what its worth lol..

Don't cut yer nails at night its bad luck.

Don't locate or buy a house that is opposite a T-junction exit;

This was definitely evidenced last winter in our hilly city because 5 separate cars slid across the heavily snowed road hitting the homeowners cars parked opposite.

I've never heard the cutting nails one, but the house opposite a T-junction, well that's not superstition, that's logic! :lol:

When we bought our house, my wife demanded we spend 60,000 baht to move the bedroom door 1 meter to right so it was not directly across from the bathroom. Apparently, 2 doors in alignment is very bad for the spirit world.

When we make a loan payment (e.g. the car, mortgage, credit card, etc.), we are not allowed to pay with bills that have than one 9 in them as that will destroy our luck.

For all of this though, I still love my wife dearly. I am sure we Westerners have equally odd habits, like thinking our government should be helpful, logical, and work for the people rather than themselves. Thais are not under any such illusions. In some ways, they are more rational than we are.

I can understand, if your wife really believes things like that, why you would move the door, what I don't get is why it was put like that in the first place if it's bad for the spirit world. :)

Also, what do you do with the unpaid bills with more than one 9 in them? I must try that with my next bill :lol: "ah no, sorry, can't pay that one,it's got more than one 9 in it...d'you want to destroy all my good luck? What kind of company are you anyway that picks on people like me with your...bad luck bills?"

I've been told not to make faces when I see people I don't like. Apparently, one day my sneers are going to be frozen forever on my mug. ohmy.gif

My mum used to tell me that, and not to pull faces in general because ..."the wind will change and it will stick like that"

I think some superstitions arise from things that are supposed to remind us of ways to behave, and to be mindful of certain things, like respect for living people (as in the face-pulling thing) and for those who have died.

Over time, they've developed a 'life of their own' as it were, and some folks put greater store in them than others.

I think it's kind of ok, whilst I have a very sceptical attitude to things like this, I also love the way that superstitions are like a form of story-telling, and I love a good yarn.

Not too sure if I would move a door myself, more likely put up a 'diversion' sign for the ghosts :) but hey, if it makes the wife happy, then it's money well spent! :)

I've been told not to make faces when I see people I don't like. Apparently, one day my sneers are going to be frozen forever on my mug. ohmy.gif

What a funny reply.

Did you know that was your 5,555th post???...

ha ha ha ha

coincidence?... or is it me being superstitious?

I think i need to get out more.

;)

I don’t think people anywhere in the world that are superstitious are stupid, superstitions are absorbed as a young child from those around them, as is the fear of mice and spiders, same thing I think.

I also believe a lot of Thai superstition is linked with Thai culture of not excepting responsibility for anything, if someone or something cannot be blamed for a miss deed in the real world, then it must be a spirit, so the practice of keeping spirits at bay is a daily battle.

One thing I have noticed is the less educated the world over tends to be deeper in the hole as far as superstitions go.

tonto, u must have studied anthropology at one point in your life: the more financial hardships/living hardships there are in a society, the more people turn to religioun/superstition... the more higher educated (which tends to go with finances), the less superstition and the more thought about why something happens... but thats a generalization as there are always exceptions to the rule. i cannot figure out fo rth life of me how my youngest daughter became so superstitious as she is a kibbutznik, with very good education, raised surrounded by science and free though (we are not relgious). the only reason i can think of is the influence of many of her friends when she was in a school that was populated mostly by more children from 'lite' religious homes (not orthodox), sons and daughters of less educated or non educated people, also mostly from n. africa/'oriental' background (turkey, kurdish, morrocan, syrian, iraq, yemen) and these people tend to have more superstitiouns and beliefs in their daily culture; some adopted from the muslem world that their parents/grandparents came from. our society as a whole, here, is becomeing more and more superstitious, new agey, and i chalk it up to the fact that we are becoming poorer, as the economic situation here deteriorates collectively. its nice to blame things on greater powers, other beings, strings of bad luck because a mezuza has a faulty letter in it, evil eyes, geometria (letters /numbers in a persons name)... whatever.

thai husband, apart from not going in to grave yards (afraid of falling in to a grave, which he thinks is a disugsting way to get rid of a dead person anyhow), seems to becoming less superstitious with time. and he thinks that the surrounding relgious beleifs and practices are for the ignorant (laws of kosher meat, what must be done when someeone dies).

i will give a new list:

the morroccan jews here will not hand someone else a knife. u have to place the knife on the counter/table and they will pick it up. drives me crazy when i work in the kitchen and someone asks for a knife i just hand it over.

dont let someone else try on your wedding ring, it will cause problems in your marriage.

no giving out the name of a newborn baby until after the boy's circumcision party or the 'daughter's birth' party.

virgins should never sit at the corner of a table or they will never marry.

dont praise a baby too much or u bring the evil eye on him/her.

when u give money as gifts, only in combinations of 18 (the letters for 'life' inhebrew).

never blow out shabbat (sabbath)candles or any candles for that matter.

not too mention the rules for sleeping with a woman after she menstruates (laws of cleanliness)... get a red string put on your wrist, thats been blessed by some nutty old woman , to increase fertiltity, against the evil eye (put one on all your children), to help in exams, to make u rich (and the nutty old women too of course)...

travel thousands of kilometers on certain days of the year to pray and sing at a grave of a long dead rabbi, it will cure u of almost anything from cancer to marriage problems. dont cut a boy's hair before the age of three, then get a blessing while have a celebration of the haircut.

as u see the list is endless... and we call ourselves a western rational society. :)))

this makes the thais seem much more rational to me. ghosts and folks i can deal with, but all this dietary laws, wedding laws, menstruation/birth laws, sabbath laws, and all the mini cultural behaviors -- it makes me nuts here, as it does my husband.

bina

israel

When building the upcountry house some time ago, I engaged a gang to put the roof on. After collecting all the required materials I was told that they would start the job in three days time. On enquiring about the delay Iwas told that they had to wait for an auspicious day. They were told that in my view they would be overtaken by bad luck, Unless they turned up at 0700 the following morning I would be hiring somebody else - or do the job myself. Apart from taking their hammers away and insisting that they use screwdrivers, all went well.

As we neared completion the family decided that we should hire a battalion of monks to bless the building and ward off evil spirits. I refused to pay for this but agreed if they felt OK about it, then so be it. I would go down the pub while they had their ceremony. They pointed out that the pub wasn't open at 0300. In that case i said, tell the monks to bring their waterproofs because if they disturbed my reverie with their monotonous chanting, I would turn the hose on them. No monks then.

Similar with the spirit house. I wouldn't pay, they decided against the pretty box on a stick.

A couple of weeks ago when we were visiting, we all sat on the porch quietly drinking a beer and watching the sun go down. I remarked how peaceful and beautiful everything was. Yes, nong sow agreed. We have been very lucky. Without the aid of monks or banishing evil spirits I reminded her. Yes, she replied. But you are farang and have special magic.

Some you win, some you lose.

When building the upcountry house some time ago, I engaged a gang to put the roof on. After collecting all the required materials I was told that they would start the job in three days time. On enquiring about the delay Iwas told that they had to wait for an auspicious day. They were told that in my view they would be overtaken by bad luck, Unless they turned up at 0700 the following morning I would be hiring somebody else - or do the job myself. Apart from taking their hammers away and insisting that they use screwdrivers, all went well.

As we neared completion the family decided that we should hire a battalion of monks to bless the building and ward off evil spirits. I refused to pay for this but agreed if they felt OK about it, then so be it. I would go down the pub while they had their ceremony. They pointed out that the pub wasn't open at 0300. In that case i said, tell the monks to bring their waterproofs because if they disturbed my reverie with their monotonous chanting, I would turn the hose on them. No monks then.

Similar with the spirit house. I wouldn't pay, they decided against the pretty box on a stick.

A couple of weeks ago when we were visiting, we all sat on the porch quietly drinking a beer and watching the sun go down. I remarked how peaceful and beautiful everything was. Yes, nong sow agreed. We have been very lucky. Without the aid of monks or banishing evil spirits I reminded her. Yes, she replied. But you are farang and have special magic.

Some you win, some you lose.

The monks have them well educated on how to keep the money rolling into the temple.

Edited by garyh

OK .............. pregnant woman( ME !!!! ) superstitions that I have encountered so far

1. feed her , again and again and again and again

2. good foods - raw cockles, sausages , liver .....................erm listeria ? salmonella??

bad food - sodas , chocolate..................... ????

3. stay in bed and just eat from 71/2 months onwards.

4. body lotion prevents skin browning and orange peels on tummy - DOES NOT !!!!

5. no buying anything for the baby until after he is born !!!!!!!!!!!! not even preparing baby room ( can you imagine that?? seriously !!!! i really dun think that i would be in the mood to shop after x hours of labor )

6. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - too much time with the computer ! ( even after a google search told him that pregnancy is one of the causes )

7. Baby is named based on the day/ date that he is born by famous monk ( this doesn't really bother me much .......... maybe cos he has a thai name and a regular name so I won't be using his Thai name on him much , but still takes the fun out of choosing a name for him )

It’s bad luck to get your hair cut on a Wednesday. Some barber shops

actually close on Wednesdays for this reason.

Don’t smell the flowers you are offering to a monk or for Buddha. If

you do, something bad will happen to your nose. You might turn into a farang!

Don’t stomp your feet in the house because it will scare the house

spirits away and the house will be left without protection. And the roaches

Don’t eat while lying down because you will come back as a snake in

the next life. So what do snakes come back as?

Edited by Dave the Dude

OK .............. pregnant woman( ME !!!! ) superstitions that I have encountered so far

2. good foods - raw cockles, sausages , liver .....................erm listeria ? salmonella??

5. no buying anything for the baby until after he is born !!!!!!!!!!!! not even preparing baby room ( can you imagine that?? seriously !!!! i really dun think that i would be in the mood to shop after x hours of labor )

6. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - too much time with the computer ! ( even after a google search told him that pregnancy is one of the causes )

7. Baby is named based on the day/ date that he is born by famous monk ( this doesn't really bother me much .......... maybe cos he has a thai name and a regular name so I won't be using his Thai name on him much , but still takes the fun out of choosing a name for him )

Just wait till they make you sit by a fire for a month after the birth! :lol: (make you strong again)

My g/f says that because she didn't do this (her kids were born in a hospital in Bangkok) that's why she's not strong enough to work in the fields all day. Sounds like a good excuse to me! :)

Not preparing the baby room may well be because there might not be a baby room. The baby would usually sleep with the parents.

I don't really understand what you mean by 'Thai name and regular name' I know Thai people have nicknames given to them pretty early on and rarely use their official given name (the one on their birth certificate) but you get to choose the nickname, so what do you mean by 'regular'?

The idea that sodas and chocolates are bad food doesn't really count as a superstition does it? Surely that's just common sense! :lol:

Killing an animal in your land apparently brings bad luck to the people living in there (not to the killers).

One day i had this aunt of wifey coming over with some strange mixture of red colour, made every single workers which was building our house to stop, so she could put that red thing on their hand nails and hair, she asked me too but i had to decline it, i don't care how bad that refusal made me look to their eyes, god knows what the heck she put inside that red thing, perhaps dog's and chicken blood, so, no way!

Before we could start building up the house, an elderly man from the village had to come, make some strange calculations about the age of all the people present at that time in there, somehow something wasn't working out for him and some other people had to come to add to his numbers...oh dear! i thought they were Buddist over here, but looks more like Voo-Doo to me. :lol:

The philosophy of Thailand is Buddhist, but the spiritual belief system is Hindu and local spirit worship...

Certainly, the overlying philosophy is Buddhism. Interesting as to how this came about -to be a national philosophy. A means of social control?

Sorry Jim, Hinduism has absolutely zero impact on Thais. None could name you any of the Pantheon of Hindu gods, let alone any of Hindu beliefs. What came AFTER the death of Hinduism is the main belief system of Thais today. And that belief system is ANIMISM. Which is where all your Superstitions come from .Animism is stronger in Thais actions and everyday life, than Buddhism. Interestingly ,2 years ago,In Soi 7 A. Ban Kluat ,C.Buriram ,an Animist grave was discovered.By Silapakorn Uni. No-one has mentioned ghosts, which are wonderfully animist and a very important part of modern Thais belief in Animism-Pi Ma Lao!!!! Happy days

Just wait till they make you sit by a fire for a month after the birth! :lol: (make you strong again)

My g/f says that because she didn't do this (her kids were born in a hospital in Bangkok) that's why she's not strong enough to work in the fields all day. Sounds like a good excuse to me! :)

Not preparing the baby room may well be because there might not be a baby room. The baby would usually sleep with the parents.

I don't really understand what you mean by 'Thai name and regular name' I know Thai people have nicknames given to them pretty early on and rarely use their official given name (the one on their birth certificate) but you get to choose the nickname, so what do you mean by 'regular'?

The idea that sodas and chocolates are bad food doesn't really count as a superstition does it? Surely that's just common sense! :lol:

no name as in we don't choose his given Thai name, as a regular name because he will be going to school in Singapore he will also have a typical Singaporean name to make it easier for his friends to call him.

ever heard of cravings ??????? yes it's not good but it 's less harmful than raw shellfish no ? but I was looked upon as an ignorant mother for wanting a chocolate bar.

Yes our plan is that he sleeps with us for the first 3 months. But I got nothing , no bed for him , no table , no clothes , no carrier ........ i do however insist that I will NOT leave the hospital with at least a car seat for my baby .

try using loads and loads of body lotion in this humid weather .............. i fell fat already , my body is starting to ache ( he's a big baby ) & CTS , now I feel so so sticky too . ( i still sneak in the occasional soda and choc though )

no name as in we don't choose his given Thai name, as a regular name because he will be going to school in Singapore he will also have a typical Singaporean name to make it easier for his friends to call him.

ever heard of cravings ??????? yes it's not good but it 's less harmful than raw shellfish no ? but I was looked upon as an ignorant mother for wanting a chocolate bar.

Yes our plan is that he sleeps with us for the first 3 months. But I got nothing , no bed for him , no table , no clothes , no carrier ........ i do however insist that I will NOT leave the hospital with at least a car seat for my baby .

try using loads and loads of body lotion in this humid weather .............. i fell fat already , my body is starting to ache ( he's a big baby ) & CTS , now I feel so so sticky too . ( i still sneak in the occasional soda and choc though )

Ah yeah, ok :) the Singaporean name would be like his nickname or 'cheu len' in Thai :) good idea.

I can understand it must be frustrating when these differences come up. Shopping for things for the baby is, in my opinion, a big part of getting ready for his arrival, that must be kinda hard for you!

The body lotion thing, people here (UK) also have all kinds of 'things you have to do' when someone is pregnant, some of them are like that, ie. they just don't work!

Good for you for sneaking the odd soda and chocolate :)

I hope everything goes well for you and wish you every happiness with your new arrival :)

I am fortunate to live in a small village in Changwat Buriram; I have been here now for too many years. I have suffered from the constraints and the restrictions that these superstitions bring. I am however pleased to say that my children, despite the best efforts of my wife; their grandparents; the local population and the concerted efforts of the monks at the temple they have remained immune to all of this (in my opinion) mumbo jumbo.

I however have not. I have chosen to consult the local Brahmin monk on many occasions, most particularly when my wife asks for money;

Therefore now I have the ultimate response…………………

I have checked with Tha Lee and he says ……

“Today is not a good day to open my wallet”

Beat them at their own game I say.

no buying anything for the baby until after he is born !!!!!!!!!!!! not even preparing baby room ( can you imagine that[/quote

of course we dont buy anything until the birth. thats horrible luck (and frankly, if u have to get home before they release your baby from hospital, its a horrible feeling, happened with my first, she had jaundice so was kept two more days, i was released after the regulation three days, came home with empty arms, and a baby crib waiting in the bedroom...)... so here, proud father /or grandparent/bf whomever runs and gets all the stuff ready in the three days that u are in hospital. what wealthier folks do, is they order all the stuff, and have it arrive and set up only after birth has gone ok.

raw liver, no problem, lots of iron in there, easily accessible and doesnt cause constipation...

as for naming: some of the ethnic groups here only name after lving relatives, others of us, only after dead relatives and its horrible luck to name someone after a person who died not from old age. we have two different families who named their sons after relatives who were killed in the army, and it caused anger and fear among many of the people here as wishing bad luck on thier kids.

lotion, well, oils are supposed to help against stretch marks.

if i think about it, we've become a totally superstitious group of people. the kids in the army refuse to get their group picture taken before going in to battle/skirmishes or 'hot' areas,as they all claim that anyone that does that gets injured or killed; in the army they hae a whole parcel of things /superstitiouns about equiptment, tanks, their guns, what u say to your friends /parents... not to mention the religious aspects of it all.

hmmm, will have to find out more, btw, the injunction about not sniffing the flowers offerred to the buddha have soething to do with the flowers not meant to be for enjoyment but as an offerring , i will have to ask in the buddhism section...

when i asked my husband if he wants to put up a ghost house in our garden, he told me that thai ghosts wont come to israel so no need...:)

bina

israel

The lottery numbers thing always gets me!, walking with the dogs and wife out in the fields and came across one of those terrapins wandering out of a rice paddy,, (similar to a tortoise), the wife flipped it over on its back and I asked what she was doing?

"see if lottery number" :whistling:

Edited by phutoie2