Phuket Beaches

rickthailand

Hi Rick, Agree on Patong, also not keen on Kamala, Kata or Karon. Not too far North we much prefer Surin Beach and suggest down the Northern to hang at Audy's as the service is great and more shaded. If you dont mind climbing up and down a hill Laem Singh Beach is gorgeous. Take some goggles and you can also snorkel.

Bang Tao beach is my personal favourite. It's a long beach so the two spots that work for me are (1) just outside the Sheraton (Laguna) facing the sea, turn right, there's a choice of restaurants on the beach and around 3pm-3.30pm a baby elephant comes out for a swim, and (2) the very northern end which is called Layan beach, very peaceful and relatively undeveloped. Both are the antithesis of Patong beach. Good luck.

Edited by Idler

IMO Patong is a cesspool with many small islands of plush fraudulence. (Resorts) At the moment, with no rain for a couple weeks, it smells like a cesspool as well. The waters off Patong beach continually rates the highest in bacteria contamination. I would never swim there. If your a sex tourist and you don't mind the stench, being harassed by tailor touts, tuk tuk drivers, massage girls, Patong is the place for you. If your a family, backpacker, or other, then Kata/Karon is better, although it is getting built up as well, but not nearly as seedy as Patong. Rawaii/Nai Harn is the newer, quieter area, but has less amenities. Up north around Nai Yang, Bang Tao, it's very different. Much quieter than the other west coast beaches.

I don't know why, but I've never travelled north of Patong, might change that when I get home. But may favorite beach is south. Just past Nai Harn, at a small beach called Ya Nui. It has a nice restaurant, al-be-it a bit busy at times. Low season the beach is closed (ie no amenities) but still a pleasant stop. BTW, I am saying this as a beach to visit, not to stay at, although I believe there are some bungalows across the road

Best beach for getting away from all the tourist is Nai Yung near the airport. Avoid on weekends thou when it fills up with thai tourists .

I still love kamala, plenty of restaurnats. shops and shade along the beach unlike all the other beaches where u need cross the road.

Surin beach is nice BUT its full of chairs and has the most expensive restaurnts on the island and doubel what youwill pay in Kamala

North end of Laguan is nice as well and there are two restaurnts there for eating

NaThon is another nice one.

If u really want get away head up north of the airport towards the bridge. Beautifull