Decent School In Bangkok

bigbadthaijohn

Hi everyone,

So I will be moving back to BKK in May, and I'm looking for a good school for my 9-yr-old daughter which won't put us in the poor house.

One of the issues is that she doesn't really speak English (we speak Thai at home), so the international schools are not really a viable option.

So I'm looking for a Thai private school with an EP or MEP program which is somewhere around the 30k-50k per term price range, but is a good school.

Any advice/suggestions would certainly help me out.

Thanks everyone.:D

BBTJ

BigJohn, you do exactly what I did too until my daughter was 3 years old and it's a really bad idea. You must speak English with your daughter. I know it feels stupid when mummy and no one else in the family understands English, talk to mummy and it's Thai, turn around and talk to daughter and it's English, mummy dislikes it too since she can't understand what we joke about... But it must be done - Speak English! The opportunity will never come back

Schools? Sorry. I know none around that price. I'd avoid the Sarasas schools whatever price, bad reputation. Some government schools have English programs, could be a Good choice so check it up. Catholic schools are decent choices, the cheap ones could be at the price you mention. Beware of sadistic corporal punishment at catholic schools - been a few cases of that the last couple of years.

Most importantly, where do you live or will live? Look at schools in that area only. Or the opposite if possible. Find a good school and make sure that you live close to it. Many Thais have a tendency to live anywhere and then choose school depending on reputation regardless of how far away it is from home. 10 km each way is easily 2 hours commuting in Bangkok. Bad idea for the child

BBS is a good bilingual school, price at 110,000 per year though

Good Luck

Edited by MikeyIdea

Can I recommend the Thai Christian school in Sukhumvit 71. My daughter went there after a bad time at one of the international schools, where the parents obviously teach their kids no values and ethics and leave the kidsd with the burmese maids all the time... but I digress.

TCS is an excellent school that does not break the bank. My daughter is in the 1st year, and she studies in the Thai programme which is 14,000 baht per term. The English is 40,000 a term or around that.

The school is wonderful, and like you said, does not break the bank.

The thai programme may make your daughter feel more comfortable, and with the money saved, you can use it towards private English tutoring, EC activities and so on.

I can not say enough good things about TCS

MH

MH

Thanks Mighty. Does the school have a website? English or Thai is fine. I read both.

I've heard good things about TCS once or twice before, and have driven past it many times. Can you tell me a little bit more about the school? Oh, and how religious is it? I myself am not a Christian, and although I think its great for my daughter to learn about all kinds of different religions, I don't want her indoctrinated either.

BBTJ

I want to try to keep this thread alive, so if anyone can give me some advice in general or on the schools below, I would really appreciate it.

Daroonpat School

Thai Christian School

St. Joseph's School (in general or any of the specific campuses)

Assumption College (especially the one in Bang Na)

Triam Udomsuksa School

BBTJ

MH

Thanks Mighty. Does the school have a website? English or Thai is fine. I read both.

I've heard good things about TCS once or twice before, and have driven past it many times. Can you tell me a little bit more about the school? Oh, and how religious is it? I myself am not a Christian, and although I think its great for my daughter to learn about all kinds of different religions, I don't want her indoctrinated either.

BBTJ

To be honest it is not overly religious, but instils the good values and stories I guess. I am not religious in any way shape or form, but the school has an amazing vibe about it. To be honest I find it funny when my daughter is singing in the shower about Jesus, it shows she is enjoying her schooling. I believe children should be given the opportunity to at least sample religion, and if it is something that they want then fine.

The School opposite, seemed the complete opposite. Again another Christian school, but the teachers there gave me the eebie jeebies in a bad way, which is why I went with TCS

The school grounds are huge, they have fantastic extra curricular activities and children are encouraged to take part in these and not just study study study..

My daughter is on the swim team, and because she is good, we don't have to pay for the tuition which is a bonus, Other activities include drum lessons, tae kwon do. various maths and english workshops and so on.

They also do a great summer camp which should be on around the time you come over, so maybe your daughter could try that first to see if she likes the place.

Hope this helps

I want to try to keep this thread alive, so if anyone can give me some advice in general or on the schools below, I would really appreciate it.

Daroonpat School

Thai Christian School

St. Joseph's School (in general or any of the specific campuses)

Assumption College (especially the one in Bang Na)

Triam Udomsuksa School

BBTJ

You've asked for advice, but how will you decide if it's informed advice or just gossip? If a respondent has children in the school and is happy then that might be good advice, depending on your priorities. If you want "strict discipline" and the respondent likes a "blossoming flower" approach, the advice will not help you.

Some of the "advice" is just gossip ("School X has a bad/good reputation") unless the respondent really knows the school/s.

You would do better to establish your priorities - not just "I want a "good" school for 20K - 50K a term" - and go to the websites and then decide which schools to visit (you must have some idea of where you might live). If the school doesn't have a website, forget it. If it's only in Thai it probably isn't what you want.

Do you mean Assumption College Bangrak (not Bangna - none there, nearest is Samutprakan)? Can't get much idea from their web board.

Triam Udom is a senior secondary school (M4-M6).

I think most bilingual and EP schools would charge less than 50K a semester. My school charges 30K-35K a "term" (semester). Some of the older schools, e.g. BCC, charge more. Not sure about Assumption Bangrak (girls' school). I think the boys' school in Sathorn charges more than 100K a year.

Good luck anyway.

Xang,

As with advice about anything, of course I will check things out for myself. However, I don't exactly have enough time to visit every school in BKK, so anything people might have to say can only help.

You are correct, I mistyped when I said Assumption Bang Na. I meant Samut Prakan.

As for my criteria for a "good" school, I mean a school with a well-rounded education, good facilities, a not too big class size (up to 30 or so would be fine, but of course less would be better), good teachers who really care about students and put in the extra effort, etc. I guess, for me, one of the most important things is to find a school which will teach my daughter how to think and not just repeat (as much as that is possible in a Thai school).

I'm also of the opinion that another important indicator of a school's quality is the level of parental involvement in school activities. I like to be informed of what is happening in my daughter's school and attend her activities as much as possible, and I always think that in a school where the parents are more involved (not second-guessing the teachers, but participating and trying to make the school better), it will help the school improve.

BBTJ

I know none around that price.

Isn't 110,000 per year the same as 55,000 per term? That's in the price range I asked about.

110,000 only includes the actual tuition fees for 2 terms, there will be extras so I would except 125,000 per year. Only to grade 6 currently, plans to extend to grade 9 but no firm deadline. I have only the best to say about the school but may be a bit short since your daughter is a bit older. Website is http://www.bbs.ac.th/

About a certain bad reputation school: A class mate of my daughter moved to Sarasas last year in May. The father has 2 kids and he's taking both of them out of the school in a few weeks time. Taking 2 kids through a private school cost money, cost was the main reason for the move of course and Sarasas is cheap. Still though, the father (a Brit) has only bad to say about the school, no information, no follow-up when the father try to contact the teacher first, then admin, father only allowed to see his kids teachers 2 times in a year even though he requested more and that was because he specifically demanded it. There is another thread here on TV just one or two weeks ago where a dissatisfied father provides some info. There was a thread a year or so ago where a western father sued to get his money back

Edit: Changed link

Edited by MikeyIdea

Isn't 110,000 per year the same as 55,000 per term? That's in the price range I asked about.

110,000 only includes the actual tuition fees for 2 terms, there will be extras so I would except 125,000 per year. Only to grade 6 currently, plans to extend to grade 9 but no firm deadline. I have only the best to say about the school but may be a bit short since your daughter is a bit older. Website is http://www.bbs.ac.th/

About a certain bad reputation school: A class mate of my daughter moved to Sarasas last year in May. The father has 2 kids and he's taking both of them out of the school in a few weeks time. Taking 2 kids through a private school cost money, cost was the main reason for the move of course and Sarasas is cheap. Still though, the father (a Brit) has only bad to say about the school, no information, no follow-up when the father try to contact the teacher first, then admin, father only allowed to see his kids teachers 2 times in a year even though he requested more and that was because he specifically demanded it. There is another thread here on TV just one or two weeks ago where a dissatisfied father provides some info. There was a thread a year or so ago where a western father sued to get his money back

Thanks for the clarification, Mikey. However, there are 26 Sarasas schools, 24 of them in the Greater Bangkok area, so any enquirer would need to know which one is being referred to.

Western parents at our school seem to be happy enough, and they communicate directly with our chief foreign administrator if they have a query or concern.

If there's a Sarasas school in a location that suits the OP and it looks a possibility, I think he'd be wise to check out the issues you've raised first. Indeed, he'd be wise to check these things wherever he enquires.

<quote name='MikeyIdea' timestamp='1297415466' post='4211868'>

</quote>

Thanks for the clarification, Mikey. However, there are 26 Sarasas schools, 24 of them in the Greater Bangkok area, so any enquirer would need to know which one is being referred to.

Western parents at our school seem to be happy enough, and they communicate directly with our chief foreign administrator if they have a query or concern.

If there's a Sarasas school in a location that suits the OP and it looks a possibility, I think he'd be wise to check out the issues you've raised first. Indeed, he'd be wise to check these things wherever he enquires.

Why would I want to to talk to a chief foreign administrator? When I follow up the progress of my child, how I better can help my child, then I need to do that with the teachers teaching her. That is my job as a father to do. Any school that tries to limit parents access to the teachers and the school sends warning signals ringing in my ears and I have heard many cases about Sarasas schools doing that over the years. This year too unfortunately

You are right that not all of the 24 Sarasas schools in the greater Bangkok area are bad of course, some are probably OK value for money. You know more than I do about Sarasas Xangsamhua, please advice good ones

Why would I want to to talk to a chief foreign administrator? When I follow up the progress of my child, how I better can help my child, then I need to do that with the teachers teaching her. That is my job as a father to do. Any school that tries to limit parents access to the teachers and the school sends warning signals ringing in my ears and I have heard many cases about Sarasas schools doing that over the years. This year too unfortunately

You are right that not all of the 24 Sarasas schools in the greater Bangkok area are bad of course, some are probably OK value for money. You know more than I do about Sarasas Xangsamhua, please advice good ones

Mikey, I'm sure you're right that parents would prefer to speak to their child's class teacher than to an administrator if it's about the child's learning or behavioural development. (Was a parent myself once - still am, but they're all in their mid-late 30s now!) I only mentioned the foreign administrator because his office is across from mine and I know Western parents come to see him and their relations are cordial. Certainly they're under no obligation to see him, and it's not a language matter, as all our Western parents have Thai spouses and they usually come together.

I don't actually know the protocols for getting to speak to the class teacher. I'm sure there are some, but I've never in the past nine years heard of this as an issue at my school.

I only know about two Sarasas schools, and only my own in any depth. The other I visit at times. Anything I "know" about the others would be hearsay. The schools are relatively autonomous in their day-to-day operations, though there is some centralisation and a Board of Directors that inspects schools on a regular and sometimes unannounced basis. With 26 schools and 61,000 students (how many parents is that?) there is bound to be some variability in performance.

More than that I can't say. I can speak about my own school and, to a limited extent, one other, but the OP is seeking advice, not a promotional spiel. (He has the web address.) In fact, I doubt my school would meet his criteria (class-size), but I doubt he'll get all his criteria met for 20-50K a semester. Still, I might be wrong.

I don't mind what school he chooses. I just hope his daughter gets a good education. That is my wish for all children, in Thailand and abroad, as I'm sure it's yours..

Mighty,

Thanks so much for your comments. TCS will definitely be on my list of schools to visit.

Do you happen to know when the application period is for new students? And the website address? I couldn't find it.

BBTJ

Website is currently being upgraded. I will send you the telephone for the school in the morning, as I am currently at work

Any good satanist schools out there? Surely the devil has at least as much money as god does for his campaign

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/394600-thai-catholic-school-teacher-caught-caning-students/page__hl__corporal+punishment - post number 2

St Mary's College in Korat seems to match what you ask for perfectly. Have a look at the video