House Choice

crusty

:( For the past two years I've been living in a house, halfway up the mountain in the tree canopy with panoramic views. One of the trendy features were mountain boulders intruding into the living room and kitchen which would glisten wet whenever it rained and the past four months of constant rain did not help the damp factor which finally resulted with me catching pneumonia in the lung. Just released today and some Baht155.000 lighter, I hope this case helps someone choose wisely where they decide to live. Panoramic views no more ! 1 should have stayed at sea level being an old seadog !

Sorry to hear of your pneumonia; very nasty, I have a weak lung and am always nervous even to get bronchitis

But 155,000 seems a heavy price, which Hospital?

and how long did it take before you felt fit again?

Hospital was BKK Samui and in this case you have to intern yourself as they can only diagnose and to find the source of infection by daily blood checks and constant temperature readings. High white blood cell count with high temps and no appetite is all they have to go on at first. Constant drip feeds, intravenous anti biotics saw the temp. come down and stabilise, then the white cell blood count improved but the clincher was the CT scan which showed the infected lung a white colour instead of black. The CT scan alone is Baht 25K. Yes it was expensive but they did the job but pneumonia can be fatal. Their same hospital in BKK would be half the price so that's where I'll be doing next week's follow up. Good luck Welly !

Crusty,

Sorry to hear about the sickness, but I am glad you are better. I plan on moving to Koh Samui from the US in the next couple of years. However 25k baht for a CT scan sounds low compared to US prices. Here it would probably cost 10 times that amount.

I'm curious about your blood labs, I received a liver transplant 3 years ago and have to have blood drawn every month and liver and blood labs performed. Here it costs about $300.00 USD and even with health insurance (which cost me $280.00 a month), I wind up paying about $30.00 USD (or 1k Baht). What were you charged for the blood work, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, is there anyway to put sealant (epoxy, etc.) or caulking around the outside of the rocks, to help waterproof the house? Just a thought.

Thanks,

Rick

Edited by RickThai

Crusty,

Sorry to hear about the sickness, but I am glad you are better. I plan on moving to Koh Samui from the US in the next couple of years. However 25k baht for a CT scan sounds low compared to US prices. Here it would probably cost 10 times that amount.

I'm curious about your blood labs, I received a liver transplant 3 years ago and have to have blood drawn every month and liver and blood labs performed. Here it costs about $300.00 USD and even with health insurance (which cost me $280.00 a month), I wind up paying about $30.00 USD (or 1k Baht). What were you charged for the blood work, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, is there anyway to put sealant (epoxy, etc.) or caulking around the outside of the rocks, to help waterproof the house? Just a thought.

Thanks,

Rick

The cost of a complete blood count was Baht 1300 but after they have run it through some forty tests like Salmonella ,Leptospira, Influenza, Dengue etc, it totalled out at Baht 25,040 and then to find the cause, there were CT scan Baht 27,500, Ultrasound Baht 7,185, Standard Xrays Baht 3600. and 7 days private ward total Baht 223,444. They found exactly what it was and cured it, so I'm not complaining. just lucky I was near a good hospital.

Regards the rocks, sealant won't work as it is a type of granite that absorbs moisture, so I'm out of there !

A salty old sea dog like you crusty getting laid low by some moisture. :o Glad to hear you are on the mend again now. :thumbsup: Wouldn't health insurance cover the costs ?

:( Only been screwed and cheated by various insurance companies in the past, now I prefer to lean on wealthy girlfriends.

They can though sometimes cost you more than the thieving insurance companies. Or at least the ones I know did :o There is a very good and cheap hospital in Chumphon. A CT scan there was around 2000 baht and the costs for operations and stay were very reasonable. It is only a ferry ride away for those needing non emergency care so worth keeping in mind. :D

Crusty,

Thanks,

Rick

The cost of a complete blood count was Baht 1300 but after they have run it through some forty tests like Salmonella ,Leptospira, Influenza, Dengue etc, it totalled out at Baht 25,040 and then to find the cause, there were CT scan Baht 27,500, Ultrasound Baht 7,185, Standard Xrays Baht 3600. and 7 days private ward total Baht 223,444. They found exactly what it was and cured it, so I'm not complaining. just lucky I was near a good hospital.

Regards the rocks, sealant won't work as it is a type of granite that absorbs moisture, so I'm out of there !

Wow. Thanks for the info. I guess even in Thailand the hospital costs run up. In 2008 I had a liver transplant, the hospital billed my health insurance company $1.2 million USD. The health insurance company doesn't pay that much of course, but the costs are still pretty crazy.

Thanks for providing the information and best of luck with your move and your health.

Rick

Crusty,

Thanks,

Rick

Wow. Thanks for the info. I guess even in Thailand the hospital costs run up. In 2008 I had a liver transplant, the hospital billed my health insurance company $1.2 million USD. The health insurance company doesn't pay that much of course, but the costs are still pretty crazy.

Thanks for providing the information and best of luck with your move and your health.

Rick

:o..so how did that work out ?.....$1.2 Million ? in Thailand ?

I think even a heart transplant wouldn't cost that much, would it? :unsure:

LaoPo

LaoPo

a liver transplant is more complicated than a heart transplant. easiest is kidney.

LaoPo

a liver transplant is more complicated than a heart transplant. easiest is kidney.

:( Well, there you have it, take it easy on the Saeng Som sodas. Out of interest, can they do lung transplants ?

.:o..so how did that work out ?.....$1.2 Million ? in Thailand ?

LaoPo

LaoPo,

Actually the liver transplant was done in Denver, CO in the USA. Sorry for the confusion. The Liver Transplant turned out great, End-Stage-Liver-Disease is a horrible way to die. After 3 years, I'm almost back up to full-speed (I don't drink anymore though, sob).

Cheers,

Rick

Crusty,

Thanks,

Rick

bangkok hospital will run every test to drain your credit card or inssuernce company. i woke up one morning and i was freeszing cold in the heat . i went to BBK hosp. Samui and the doctor with out doing a blood test told me i had dengy fever. then gave me a quote of 50 k for 3 nights.

so i went to samui inter. Then did the blood test then told me what i had then gave me a quote for 8000 baht per night and i had food poisoning after all that.

so i saved myself 26 k. which was better spent on other things after i was discharged. the only thing that bangkok hosp. samui is good for is that they have all the tools but thet charge a hell of allot for them. bit like a manoloply the alternative is surathani which is a long drive when u r sick

Crusty,

Thanks,

Rick

bangkok hospital will run every test to drain your credit card or inssuernce company. i woke up one morning and i was freeszing cold in the heat . i went to BBK hosp. Samui and the doctor with out doing a blood test told me i had dengy fever. then gave me a quote of 50 k for 3 nights.

so i went to samui inter. Then did the blood test then told me what i had then gave me a quote for 8000 baht per night and i had food poisoning after all that.

so i saved myself 26 k. which was better spent on other things after i was discharged. the only thing that bangkok hosp. samui is good for is that they have all the tools but thet charge a hell of allot for them. bit like a manoloply the alternative is surathani which is a long drive when u r sick

:angry: Upon questioning one of the items on the Baht 233k bill a CT scan for Baht 24k when one costs only Baht 12k in Bangkok, the rationale was "Samui is a tourist island and the machines in Bangkok are used more often". Oh, well that's allright then, though I can't see any insurance company fallinr that one !

Glad to hear your ok now,

but did you really live half way up a mountain for 2 years knowing that you had dampness inside your house?

dampness in not usually visible, so for it to glisten it must have been soaking wet, hope your next house is chosen more wisely,

155,000 baht divided by 24 months equals 6,458 baht a month, add that to your rent and it works out an expensive feature.

Hope you recover well and find a nice house in the sun.

Glad to hear your ok now,

but did you really live half way up a mountain for 2 years knowing that you had dampness inside your house?

dampness in not usually visible, so for it to glisten it must have been soaking wet, hope your next house is chosen more wisely,

155,000 baht divided by 24 months equals 6,458 baht a month, add that to your rent and it works out an expensive feature.

Hope you recover well and find a nice house in the sun.

[/quote

:( Thank you Minister of Recreation but when choosing a house here, it is wise to first check the floods and dampness Oct. to Feb. and then your "beachfront" exposing the reefs at the low tides from May to August ! The property wallahs will NEVER recommend this of course ! And Starcandle I never knew the house would be this damp but we had 4 months of solid rain !

Edited by crusty

They can though sometimes cost you more than the thieving insurance companies. Or at least the ones I know did :o There is a very good and cheap hospital in Chumphon. A CT scan there was around 2000 baht and the costs for operations and stay were very reasonable. It is only a ferry ride away for those needing non emergency care so worth keeping in mind. :D

Can You tell me the name of that hospital ?