Partner Visa - Australia

G'day all

I have recently been married to my beautiful wife and all marriage documents have been received. Both thai and english translated copies.

My wife has been over here prior to getting married on 2 separate Visitor Visas for a period of 2 months then 3 months, following and adhering to the guidelines of the visa instructions.

We are now about to undertake the task of a Partner Visa, which I believe I am capable of doing myself, with of course the assistance of this forum. *Which by the way is one of the best resources of information the internet has to offer* I am also still yet to work out which visa form we will be filling out, but shouldn't have a problem finding it again.

Without people repeating themselves, as I am sure this has been covered before, would there be other links and posts that would have covered what is required ? Want to try to make this as easy as possible for people on here that are willing to assist.

First question I had was do I require a Police Clearance Document, I have heard this is a requirement but have also heard that if no kids are involved that this will not be required.

Also, and I am not sure if this is allowed, so please mods feel free to edit the post if you see fit, I would like to commend Siam Legal for their assistance with my Marriage and all translation documents, transport, great communication and work they put in. I did pay extra as I was stretched for time but they organised and delivered the documents in a timely manner.

I am 32 and my wife is 34.

Thankyou

Shaun

Look at www.immi.gov.au/allforms/

forms to look at 40sp,160,26,47sp,which if you READ through it will explain all and DO read check list,and the front of form,47sp,i asked the same Q on the police check in oz,you now need one.ALL those forms noted were given to me at oz embassy when i asked for partner visa.

cat

You will be required to supply an AFP clearance IF you are sponsoring a child under 18yo to migrate to Oz.....otherwise it is not required.

Yeah that's what I thought, both myself and my wife have never had children before, that's some good news as I hear the AFP clearance takes a while to arrive. Should be able to get all relevant documents sent on Friday. Just need to make sure my wife gets her medical clearance completed before applying, or is this done after applying.

Apologies in advance for all the mundane questions, I am sure there will be a few.

Cheers

You will be required to supply an AFP clearance IF you are sponsoring a child under 18yo to migrate to Oz.....otherwise it is not required.

Yeah that's what I thought, both myself and my wife have never had children before, that's some good news as I hear the AFP clearance takes a while to arrive. Should be able to get all relevant documents sent on Friday. Just need to make sure my wife gets her medical clearance completed before applying, or is this done after applying.

Apologies in advance for all the mundane questions, I am sure there will be a few.

Cheers

The hospital sends the medical to the Embassy as far as I am aware, so it doesnt matter if you lodge your application before or after. However the entry date to Oz if the application succeeds is taken from the day the Emabassy receives the first document of the application. (12 months from that date)

A tip

When drafting your respective relationship statements. Pay particular attention to the legal definition of what a spousal relationship is. Regulations 1.15A of the Migration Regulations 1994 provides for the circumstances to be taken into consideration in determining whether a genuine spouse relationship exists. You may be surprised at just how many people fail to address these issues within their application. Remember, marriage alone is not proof of genuine relationship.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/mr1994227/s1.15a.html

Good Luck

hello all i was informed yesterday that all partner visa applications take at least 10 months to process

not the 3 months as stated on the website!!!!

so be prepared to wait a long time before your wife gets to oz !!!!!!!!!!!!!

this was apparently changed on the 7th feb .

this i was told by an embassy worker do you think i was happy well done julia !!!!

you will not get my vote !!!!!!!!!

10 months ? are you serious, why so long ? I have heard that they take longer than the prospective marriage visas, why would this be the case if someone is legally married to a person.

I am in absolute shock if this is the case, 10 months is a long time to be living alone, hope this isn't the case. Where was this information located ?

There doesnt appear to be any changes to the system that I can see, that would affect the waiting time.

Even the new processing centre in Brisbane would not affect it by that margin.

Embassy staff have told people this before, it appears to be some sort of attempt to reduce expectation.

Scotto, Was that by an Aussie staff memeber or a Thai one ?

There doesnt appear to be any changes to the system that I can see, that would affect the waiting time.

Embassy staff have told people this before, it appears to be some sort of attempt to reduce expectation.

Guys can anyone confirm that this 10 month waiting period is correct !!!!! - I rang the thai Embassy only 2 weeks ago and the automated recording said that a partner visa is 3 -4 months.

This could be a disaster for me :(

Guys can anyone confirm that this 10 month waiting period is correct !!!!! - I rang the thai Embassy only 2 weeks ago and the automated recording said that a partner visa is 3 -4 months.

I did all the paperwork for my wife of 7 years to immigrate to OZ.

1.Yes you do need a Royal Thai Police clearance for her. When it is sent to you it will be already translated into english.

2.Yes I handed all the paperwork into immigration in Sydney and was told it would take up to 9 months for them to look at the paperwork.

Meanwhile they told me to have her medicals done which I did and they have also been sent in to Sydney.

I asked why it takes so long and was told your paperwork goes to the bottom of the stack and by the time they get to it is 9 months on average.

I put my paperwork in last November.

Edited by OZEMADE

No, it cant be confirmed. Each application is different and can have different prodessing times....however until such time as we see this sort of delay then we can only go by the website estimate

1.Yes you do need a Royal Thai Police clearance for her. When it is sent to you it will be already translated into english.

2.Yes I handed all the paperwork into immigration in Sydney and was told it would take up to 9 months for them to look at the paperwork.

Meanwhile they told me to have her medicals done which I did and they have also been sent in to Sydney.

I asked why it takes so long and was told your paperwork goes to the bottom of the stack and by the time they get to it is 9 months on average.

He asked about a Police clearamce for him, thats the Aussie police one.

Onshore applications may well take longer to process....

Edited by gburns57au

He asked about a Police clearamce for him, thats the Aussie police one.

Onshore applications may well take longer to process....

I was not asked for an AFP clearance on the application, but you were asked if you had any past or present convictions.

I was not asked for an AFP clearance on the application, but you were asked if you had any past or present convictions.

Came in just over 12 months ago if you were sponsoring a child under 18.....It actually came in as my wifes PR was being processed amd I got asked to supply one for the young fella.

Cheers for the information guys.

Yeah I haven't had any prior convictions. I am getting my wife to gain a police clearance and medical done immediately. Also I have sent all the paperwork and hope for the best.

At the end of the day, waiting is all we can do, can't fight the process and I am sure it will be worth the wait, main thing I can gain from this, is never argue with anyone at the embassy, just go with the flow.

Cheers and thankyou again.

I think there may be some confusion regarding processing times between on shore and off shore spouse visa applications.

As far as i know , on shore applications take much longer as the applicant is already here on some sort of bridging visa so there is no real urgency with the application

• 2 weeks later...

G'day all

Hope you dont mind, but I have a few questions about the 40SP form, never been the best at filling out forms so here goes:

Oh, these questions may seem obvious, but I really do not want to make any mistakes, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) 2 My fiance now has a new passport after she change her name after we were married, I am presuming we put that down in question 2: Fiance or Partners Full Name ( as shown in passport document) Family Name: My Surname Given Names: Her First Name

2) 11 How long after you met did you and your partner begin a relationship? I will be putting the date in which we were together on a trip away staying in hotels together (not the first time we met in person)

3) 12 When did we know we were going to be starting a committed and long term spouse or defacto relationship, intend to marry each other (I have answered this prior to her coming to australia under her first visitor visa with the date given

4) 13 When and where did you begin a married or defacto relationship with your partner (i will be giving the date she arrived on her first visitor visa)

5) 51 Have you lodged any other sponsorship nominations (other than the sponsorship nomination you have recorded in question 18) or signed a maintenance guarantee or an assurance of support (both visitor visas I had stat decs signed stating that I would be the soul provider during her stay, would this be what they are requiring ?) and do I answer yes to the question

Sorry about the seemingly simple questions, and hope to receive some clarity . .

Thanks again

G'day all

Hope you dont mind, but I have a few questions about the 40SP form, never been the best at filling out forms so here goes:

Oh, these questions may seem obvious, but I really do not want to make any mistakes, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) 2 My fiance now has a new passport after she change her name after we were married, I am presuming we put that down in question 2: Fiance or Partners Full Name ( as shown in passport document) Family Name: My Surname Given Names: Her First Name

2) 11 How long after you met did you and your partner begin a relationship? I will be putting the date in which we were together on a trip away staying in hotels together (not the first time we met in person)

3) 12 When did we know we were going to be starting a committed and long term spouse or defacto relationship, intend to marry each other (I have answered this prior to her coming to australia under her first visitor visa with the date given

4) 13 When and where did you begin a married or defacto relationship with your partner (i will be giving the date she arrived on her first visitor visa)

5) 51 Have you lodged any other sponsorship nominations (other than the sponsorship nomination you have recorded in question 18) or signed a maintenance guarantee or an assurance of support (both visitor visas I had stat decs signed stating that I would be the soul provider during her stay, would this be what they are requiring ?) and do I answer yes to the question

Sorry about the seemingly simple questions, and hope to receive some clarity . .

Thanks again

Use the name in her current passport.

Relationship questions need to be chronologically correct.....ie: Dont say you started the relationship before the date you met.

I beleieve that 18 and 51 relate to previous sponsorships of other people, not the current applicant.

• 1 month later...

G'day all.

What a rough and tumble ride we have been going through so far, finally got all translated documents, my wifes passport and id changed, etc etc. all ready now to put in the application. My wife has been told now by one of her friends that she must write a letter, which we were aware of, but is now saying I should have my signature on this letter. My own thoughts, dont think so, because I have written my own letter and signed it.

Would it be advisable to type out this letter for my wife, sign it, send it and have her sign it also . . (my own opinion is its not needed) . . My other opinion this all seems simple enough, but all this other input is honestly starting to do my head in a bit.

That's why I got back here and decided to ask people who have actually been through it before, thoughts ?

G'day all.

What a rough and tumble ride we have been going through so far, finally got all translated documents, my wifes passport and id changed, etc etc. all ready now to put in the application. My wife has been told now by one of her friends that she must write a letter, which we were aware of, but is now saying I should have my signature on this letter. My own thoughts, dont think so, because I have written my own letter and signed it.

Would it be advisable to type out this letter for my wife, sign it, send it and have her sign it also . . (my own opinion is its not needed) . . My other opinion this all seems simple enough, but all this other input is honestly starting to do my head in a bit.

That's why I got back here and decided to ask people who have actually been through it before, thoughts ?

The applicant and sponsor both need to write their own relationship statements. It is not a requirement that the relationship statements need to be submitted at date of application however, although you certainly can if you wish. As for signing you wife's no need, as that info is completely wrong.

10 months ? are you serious, why so long ? I have heard that they take longer than the prospective marriage visas, why would this be the case if someone is legally married to a person.

I am in absolute shock if this is the case, 10 months is a long time to be living alone, hope this isn't the case. Where was this information located ?

Check out page 3 on this forum and it has been confirmed.

Processing Time Aust Partner/Prospective Marriage Now up to 10 months - confirmed

• 3 months later...

G'day all

Thought I would give a quick update.

My wife was about to put in for a Visitor Visa while we are waiting for the Partner Visa, and received a phone call today from our case officer, funny how that happens. She sent the medical examination forms via email and asked my wife to go get this done as soon as possible.

After speaking with her, I got my wife to call her back and ask about still putting in for the visitors visa, we were advised that we should wait, as it should only take under 2 months from when they receive the results of the medical. Apparently doing a visitors visa during the partner visa process pauses the application.

End up calling the case officer myself, nice lady, asked her about the visitor visa and was told the same thing. She was a funny bugger too, told me to go get skype installed on the computer lol . . but I can confirm, she did say that the decision will be decided, within 2 months of receiving the medical examination results. She was happy with all the paperwork, and also the wedding photos she was looking at during the phone conversation.

So we have decided to wait it out, should be another 3 months, which all up will be under 7 months total.

The timings by the way, are only information shared to me from the case officer, so I would be reasonably sure this is 100% true, be interesting to have a read and see how others are progressing.

Cheers