Nature Walk

crusty

Slightly off topic but we are getting up early tomorrow to walk from Nathon to Lamai across the mountain trail tomorrow.

Anyone done it that can give a guide to how long it may take?

That's going to be one long walk! I have only done it on a motorbike... once to Lamai & once to Maenam..... from one of the waterfalls south of Nanthon... (Muang Waterfalls One, I think) & seems to me took a few hours (including stops)... a bit of a "white knuckle" trip towards the Lamai side... the road /track is very steep... but there are some fabulous views.... after the rains these last few months, there could be some major wash outs....???

Take lots of fresh water & energy food! Depending on which road/ track you end up on (it's a bit of a maze up there) You may come across a few places selling Pop & or coffee... One place I enjoyed was called "Grand Kingdom" ... coffee was made with water heated over coconut husks ... (very good!) Pop was warm, as there is no electric up in them there hills.... ! But the "natives" are friendly...from my experience anyway...

There are many people who live up there, mostly growing something... I found anyone I asked for directions. spoke English reasonable well, when asking for directions.... as there are a number of forks in the road... If you are not careful you could end up coming down to Soi 5 in Maenam....or a "dead end" in the road..... watch out for the Safari Trucks!:o

Some roads connect and some not, there are signs sometimes! ... not so bad on a bike when you double back...... a long walk if you have too :annoyed:

Take your camera & cell phone (just in case!)

Just to add... as a worthwhile self guided trip.... walking or on motorbike (but perhaps not for nervous nellies!) is: up to the Secret Water Falls:

Albeit a bit steep going up, is to walk up to the Secret Water falls, about 3 kms south of Maenam, on Soi 5.... the road is not bad at the moment as it has been recently graded... The waterfall is quite good at the moment... (there is a swimming hole there too, which can be refreshing) .... You'll come across the friendly staff at the Canopy Adventure Tours Zip line... who will sell you a beer or other refreshment... (on Soi 5 watch for that C.A.Tours sign & turn left & follow straight up... ) Past the reservoir on right just keep going! If you are into trying the Zip line, I can well recommend it! :D

Sometimes just walking up a dry or almost dry creek /stream can be very interesting... but perhaps better when the amount of water level goes down....

Edited by samuijimmy

Thanks for some great advice Jimmy sadly received only after we returned :rolleyes:

For those that are interested, from the Autoboy Soi just out of Nathon it took just over 5 hours of walking (plus water and refreshment stops) to reach the Wat at the 90degree turn at Lamai and we agree it has been one of the very best experiences ever on our stay on Samui and all for free!.

The views up there are truely inspiring and with not a noise other than nature it was a million miles away from the corrosive effect that tourism has brought to corrupt such a naturally magnificently beautiful Island.

We were helped on occassions by the excellent GPS service on my BlackBerry and once by a friendly local, however with a keen eye on the tracks it is pretty clear where the main traffic bears off at a fork and we used that to assume a best way when in doubt.

Stats were approx 22km distance walked (Autoboy Nathon to Lamai Wat) - 792m total of uphill climb on the route (Highest Alt reached was 600m) - 3000calories burnt :D

Thanks for some great advice Jimmy sadly received only after we returned :rolleyes:

For those that are interested, from the Autoboy Soi just out of Nathon it took just over 5 hours of walking (plus water and refreshment stops) to reach the Wat at the 90degree turn at Lamai and we agree it has been one of the very best experiences ever on our stay on Samui and all for free!.

The views up there are truely inspiring and with not a noise other than nature it was a million miles away from the corrosive effect that tourism has brought to corrupt such a naturally magnificently beautiful Island.

We were helped on occasions by the excellent GPS service on my BlackBerry and once by a friendly local, however with a keen eye on the tracks it is pretty clear where the main traffic bears off at a fork and we used that to assume a best way when in doubt.

Stats were approx 22km distance walked (Autoboy Nathon to Lamai Wat) - 792m total of uphill climb on the route (Highest Alt reached was 600m) - 3000calories burnt :D

Wow! J & M .... bet your both going to need a good massage today!

I was chatting with someone yesterday about walking trips , she said there was an article in the Samui Express (not sure which issue, but recent I think) about a guy who lives in Nanthon that who does a walk every Wednesday... & is open I believe she said, to take people along with him... so that might help the OP. ?

I believe the Express can be read "online" so it could be worth a search....

If you ended up at the Temple on the corner in Lamai, you came down a different track than I did, I came out closer to the Grand father / Grand Mother Rocks... (Hin ta Di Ya or something like that.. I can never remember :blink:.)

Yes, there are tons of interesting things on the Island that can be done for free, sometimes you just stumble on interesting places:... sometimes you'll see tracks through coconut groves & find nice quiet beaches, (not always!) especially in the south west corner of the island...

There is a small island which is easy to access during low tide just before going up the Nanthon hill, (from Nanthon) and drive in (turn left) perhaps 1/2 to 1 km & go past a new high end resort.... then you see an older resort with Santa Claus standing there... well just head from there along and around the water line.... some interesting rock formations en route & obviously an area that once had coral... that takes about an hour or so. Santa will sell you a beer when done! :D (it's the island you can see from Nanthon pier.. I think it has a microwave tower on it....)... you may get some friendly dogs guiding you along the way!

One thing to do when walking in quieter areas (well, anywhere really) is to try to make a bit of noise or stump your feet occasionally as there maybe snakes, which should disappear if they know you are coming... I have never come across snakes while walking, but they are out there... & with it starting to dry out now, they are starting to migrate down from the hills... just common sense & reasonable caution needed...

In a previous post recently, someone mentioned that the Samui Hospital in Nanthon, is the only hospital that carries anti venom... should anyone get bitten by a snake... I just think that is worth a mention again....

Edited by samuijimmy

We were helped on occassions by the excellent GPS service on my BlackBerry and once by a friendly local, however with a keen eye on the tracks it is pretty clear where the main traffic bears off at a fork and we used that to assume a best way when in doubt.

nice, thanks for posting. i've done some pretty extensive hiking throughout the U.S. and have always thought this island would be improved by adding an actual dedicated nature trail for hikers through the interior. i'll add this walk to my short list of things to do, normally i love to walk but these roads were obviously not designed with walkers in mind.

nice, thanks for posting. i've done some pretty extensive hiking throughout the U.S. and have always thought this island would be improved by adding an actual dedicated nature trail for hikers through the interior. i'll add this walk to my short list of things to do, normally i love to walk but these roads were obviously not designed with walkers in mind.

:( An ideal way to see remote parts of the island was by horseback but lately I've heard the one down the South end of the island has wrapped up. Does the horse centre by Monkey Theatre still exist ?

:( An ideal way to see remote parts of the island was by horseback but lately I've heard the one down the South end of the island has wrapped up. Does the horse centre by Monkey Theatre still exist ?

Gone ages ago Crusty. Used to have some of their horses grazing around our place.

I think we could get an interesting thread going here, not only on nice walks but things to do for "free" on Samui... or KP & KT for that matter...

Weather wise it was just a perfect day,... oh for lots more of those!

Today I had an overseas visitor...who is staying on KP... oh how visitors can wear one out, especially on a one day trip trying to see every thing! ... they request! :o(well that did not actually happen! )

We started off heading up to the Secret Water falls, then rather than just looking at the first falls, (The first falls is about 100 metres past the Hut for the Canopy Adventure Zip Line..... bare to the right, along the trail, it is fairly obvious, We then ventured up to the right of the falls, fairly easy, just pretend your are Tarzan, climbing up vines & shrubs & head up a fairly steep, yet easy enough (even for an old F---t like me! ) & climb to the top of the falls... then follow the stream further & you'll find second water fall... almost as good as the first... (several swimming holes to cool down! too... :D ) I had never ventured that far up before but it was really worth while... some time I may venture further up...& see what is there...

Next stop Ban Tai beach... which is usually very quiet & a nice beach to wander along, with great views of KP & the Marine Park Islands..... but I've never seen so many people down there! Oh those darn tourists! :P

We then headed to the Big Buddha & Wat Phaelam (Both Free) just after the Big Buddha,,, both worth a visit to wander around... by then it was getting towards 4 to 5 pm, & far less crowded very peaceful end to the day.... We then found a great restaurant called, Tam Thai in Ban Rak, good atmosphere, food & service, , at reasonable prices....

My friend then headed back to KP on a speed boat headed to the FMP... which fortunately a day late this month... that worked well, as ferry times limited in evening...

As for horse riding, I've only ever seen horse riding in Chelaclum, at the north end of KP...

When I get time, I'll try and post some pics.... ;)

Edited by samuijimmy

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure which "Hiking Thread" to post this too, but since this is the most recent one, I'll post here: ... Again a self Guided tour....

I had forgotten but done this one before & did this again this afternoon .... .

Starting at the Hin Lad or Hin Lat .... Depending on which sign you read, It's the water falls if you turn at the lights by Samui Immigration or the Hospital in Nanthon or is that Nathon?? ... again depends on the sign! :D... About a kilometer from the lights... probably the widest road on Samui!

Go to the end of the road in the opposite direction to Immigration and you'll find the falls, which are not big waterfall drops, but the area is quite beautiful & serene, with the water being covered by large trees.... There are several large pools of water (often the locals are swimming.... and can be quite busy on holidays or week ends. )

Now to get away from the crowds you can make your way up the stream for a nice hike.... , having to sort out which boulders to jump & climb, after 20 or 30 minutes you come to a "T" if you follow to the right you can head up wards,... we went up part way, so not sure what is beyond,.... but there are interesting rock formations..... Or to the left head downwards...

If you cross the stream & head a few feet into the bushes, there is as pathway, that will take you back down.... There are living quarters for the monks as you near the Temple... then you walk by some well kept gardens around the beautiful White Temple.... Make your way across the bridge & you'll be back where you started....

I would rate this as being relatively easy... just take your time!

Alternatively you could go the other way up, over the foot bridge and figure out how to find the well kept path / trail.... basically keep to the right... and make your way up....

A nice way to spend an hour or three... Lots of refreshment stands at the bottom & places to buy fish food to feed the hundreds of fat Cat Fish! :)

I'd suggest wearing shoes with good non slip soles especially if climbing up the creek.... There are also a number of places to sit in the water,... so perhaps a change of clothes, unless you do it Thai style & wear all....

I am not sure which "Hiking Thread" to post this too, but since this is the most recent one, I'll post here: ... Again a self Guided tour....

Starting at the Hin Lad or Hin Lat .... Depending on which sign you read, It's the water falls if you turn at the lights by Samui Immigration or the Hospital in Nanthon or is that Nathon?? ... again depends on the sign! :D... About a kilometer from the lights... probably the widest road on Samui!

Go to the end of the road in the opposite direction to Immigration and you'll find the falls, which are not big waterfall drops, but the area is quite beautiful & serene, with the water being covered by large trees.... There are several large pools of water (often the locals are swimming.... and can be quite busy on holidays or week ends. )

Now to get away from the crowds you can make your way up the stream for a nice hike.... , having to sort out which boulders to jump & climb, after 20 or 30 minutes you come to a "T" if you follow to the right you can head up wards,... we went up part way, so not sure what is beyond,.... but there are interesting rock formations..... Or to the left head downwards...

If you cross the stream & head a few feet into the bushes, there is as pathway, that will take you back down.... There are living quarters for the monks as you near the Temple... then you walk by some well kept gardens around the beautiful White Temple.... Make your way across the bridge & you'll be back where you started....

Alternatively you could go the other way up, over the foot bridge and figure out how to find the well kept path / trail.... basically keep to the right... and make your way up....

A nice way to spend an hour or three... Lots of refreshment stands at the bottom & places to buy fish food to feed the hundreds of fat Cat Fish! :)

I'd suggest wearing shoes with good non slip soles especially if climbing up the creek.... There are also a number of places to sit in the water,... so perhaps a change of clothes, unless you do it Thai style & wear all....

If you dont mind SJ I would add to your suggestion that anyone wishing to extend that walk can start from Autoboy at Nathon following the road inland. After about 1mile at the red and white chequered concrete bollard (what is that?) ignore the sweeping uphill left that climbs the mountain (that is another walk) and continue straight on, this will bring you out at the rear of the Wat where you can start Jimmy's walk from instructions above. This adds just over an hour to the return trip.

Also for those that do not know this area on arrival at the central area adjacent to the fish pool where the eateries are and with the Wat on your left if you climb the steps to the right toward what appears to be a restaurant you will find the start of a trail with a little cashbox inviting your donation to upkeep the coming walk to the higher waterfall. What follows is a lovely nature walk climb through the forest alongside the path of the river, moderately challenging so best done in trainers/boots not flip flops. The effort is well worth the result on arrival at the waterfall with its pools and ozone hit from the fall but especially the appreciation of the guy selling beers, soft drinks and water from his polystyrene box that he has hauled up that trail every morning for 14years (or so he told me :) ). From the Wat this adds approx hour and a half extra to the return trip allowing 20mins stop at the top.

If you dont mind SJ I would add to your suggestion that anyone wishing to extend that walk can start from Autoboy at Nathon following the road inland. After about 1mile at the red and white chequered concrete bollard (what is that?) ignore the sweeping uphill left that climbs the mountain (that is another walk) and continue straight on, this will bring you out at the rear of the Wat where you can start Jimmy's walk from instructions above. This adds just over an hour to the return trip.

Also for those that do not know this area on arrival at the central area adjacent to the fish pool where the eateries are and with the Wat on your left if you climb the steps to the right toward what appears to be a restaurant you will find the start of a trail with a little cashbox inviting your donation to upkeep the coming walk to the higher waterfall. What follows is a lovely nature walk climb through the forest alongside the path of the river, moderately challenging so best done in trainers/boots not flip flops. The effort is well worth the result on arrival at the waterfall with its pools and ozone hit from the fall but especially the appreciation of the guy selling beers, soft drinks and water from his polystyrene box that he has hauled up that trail every morning for 14years (or so he told me :) ). From the Wat this adds approx hour and a half extra to the return trip allowing 20mins stop at the top.

Why would I mind? J & M ..... I mentioned before that this might be a good idea as it's own thread..... any possibility of that SBK or Rooo?

(Perhaps slightly change the heading? Where it says guided tours, to "non guided tours" ) There are lots of trails hidden away around all the islands..... Some times they are spur of the moment decisions to do it... today would not have been a good one with the few rain showers we got!

Next time will know to go the other way further, than we did! :)

The longest hike I attempted was walking to Mango Bay on Koa Toa, a few years ago.... you can only go so far on a bike it did not look far on the map! Extremely rough road...... The owners son actually came by in a 4x4 truck and gave me a lift then took me back to my bike! ... after I had lunch... so yes I cheated a bit, but the climb down the steps to the resort is enough of an adventure in it's self anyway!

There is another, trail a friend did on KP the other day, headed to Bottle Beach, from Chalaclum (SP)...<<<<( perhaps Big C could help on spelling there....... :lol:) I've only done that by Kayak....

Happy Trails! :D