Divorce

blabla1

Hi all, my girlfriend is still married under Thai law and has the usual contract with her husbad, she is trying to get a divorce and hasn't heard or seen her husband for over three years (Thai man).

In Chiang mai they have told her to go back to where they were married and only then, can she apply for divorce,without a problem,she went to the office in Phitsanulok and the guy says, she cannot do it with out a lawyer, he gave her a card and said it would cost 10000Bhat, if her husband was there and signed, it would be free,after months of tracking down her husband,he says, he wants money to sign the papers, ok, i will get a lawyer now,but.....does anybody know anything about solving this with out involving blood suckers! Thankyou.

As she was told with out her husband she will need a lawyer to fill for her. This is Thai law.

OK,so that's it, i am always wary of office workers who give you cards and a price with it...lol, thanks very much for that.:D

Under Thai law she can get a divorce in 30 minutes for free if both spouses agree to the divorce. They just have to show up at an amphur together with 2 witneses and sign the divorce register and submit their wedding certificate and get a divorce certificate in return.

If they cannot agree, one has to go to court and file for divorce on one of the grounds mentioned in the law. In this case it would be abandonment. That would be much costlier and time consuming.

More information about Thai family law, including divorce:

Why does she want a divorce? Is it so that you two can marry?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it seems questionable that the husband is holding out for some undisclosed sum-- or did your GF mention to him the 10K figure?

Not knowing the persons involved, and not wanting to insult anyone's character or judgment, I'll just point out that it has happened before that women in her situation have cut deals with their husbands and split the proceeds. For many Thais, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just how things are done.

If you made a reasonable offer and he declined (and 5K is more than fair for the signature of some useless lout), then just drop the issue for a while and wait it out. I'm fairly certain that things will move in your favor. If the GF starts to complain or pressure you, then I'm afraid she's playing games. In Thai culture this is a situation that demands extreme kreng-jai on the part of the woman involved, for this is her problem, not yours, and inconveniencing you with her own unhappy past should eb the last thing she would ever want to do.

Again, no offense intended, just giving a heads up based on 20 years of watching love go wrong in the Land of Wiles.

So she is still married on paper....so what.....why not just carry on are you are? Does her being married affect you two in any way? If not.....why not ride it out for a few years! I would say that to the GF and see what she says!

And the answer would be....:whistling:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it seems questionable that the husband is holding out for some undisclosed sum-- or did your GF mention to him the 10K figure?

Not knowing the persons involved, and not wanting to insult anyone's character or judgment, I'll just point out that it has happened before that women in her situation have cut deals with their husbands and split the proceeds. For many Thais, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just how things are done.

If you made a reasonable offer and he declined (and 5K is more than fair for the signature of some useless lout), then just drop the issue for a while and wait it out. I'm fairly certain that things will move in your favor. If the GF starts to complain or pressure you, then I'm afraid she's playing games. In Thai culture this is a situation that demands extreme kreng-jai on the part of the woman involved, for this is her problem, not yours, and inconveniencing you with her own unhappy past should eb the last thing she would ever want to do.

Again, no offense intended, just giving a heads up based on 20 years of watching love go wrong in the Land of Wiles.

Excellent post.

Totally agree. Sensible and pragmatic approach.

Excellent post.

me and my girlfriend have been in this situation a few years back now but it was pretty straight forward we just paid the money to the lawyer it was easier .

5 years on and we are still not married but she said she felt free as soon as we got that paper.

due to daily beatings.

Does the ex husband know about you OP? If not make sure it stays ike that. Your face will sure rachet up the zeros on his expectations.

Apart from that, bear in mind everything mentioned above. My wifes sister wanted a divorce a couple of months ago as her husband had assualted her. It took some 'persuasion money' to get him to sign divorce papers.

BTW I completely understand your desire for her to be legally divorced and to marry her. Nothing wrong wiht being an unmarried couple, but many people prefer to marry.

Do the same rules apply for farang/thai divorce. My wife does not like me any more and wants a divorce. Actually very amicable and we are good friends. Do we go to the Amphur (Bangkok) where we got married? Can we do in 30 minutes?

Do the same rules apply for farang/thai divorce. My wife does not like me any more and wants a divorce. Actually very amicable and we are good friends. Do we go to the Amphur (Bangkok) where we got married? Can we do in 30 minutes?

Believe any amphur will do. Just show up together with both marriage certificates and 2 witnesses to sign the divorce register with you. In return you both get a divorce certificate.

Believe any amphur will do. Just show up together with both marriage certificates and 2 witnesses to sign the divorce register with you. In return you both get a divorce certificate.

So much easier than farangland, eh? Cost me 140000 pounds in the UK and 10 years of grief.