Udon To Vientianne

songhklasid

There is a bus from Udon to Vientiane from the central bus station but you must already have a Lao visa in your passport. The bus won't wait for you while you get a visa at the border.

I can confirm the requirement for a Laotian visa in advance.

Even though I was the only foreigner on the bus that had to be processed, the rest of the Thai passengers whipped through Immigration and the bus left without me - luggage included.

If you can't organsie the visa beforehand then simply offfload your belongings at the checkpoint (knowing that the bus is going to leave you) and take a taxi for the remaining 8km.

There is a bus from Udon to Vientiane from the central bus station but you must already have a Lao visa in your passport. The bus won't wait for you while you get a visa at the border.

I can confirm the requirement for a Laotian visa in advance.

Even though I was the only foreigner on the bus that had to be processed, the rest of the Thai passengers whipped through Immigration and the bus left without me - luggage included.

If you can't organsie the visa beforehand then simply offfload your belongings at the checkpoint (knowing that the bus is going to leave you) and take a taxi for the remaining 8km.

Or can I just stay @ nong khai & get tuk-tuk to border,get visa, &carry on with local transport to vientianne, this route sounds more convenient,can I go this way?

regards songhklasid.

Yeah if you get the bus to drop you off at the Big U (I think) mall (They'll usually call out on the bus that it's the Lao Thai stop), you can relax there and get some lunch etc then catch a tuk tuk to the friendshiop bridge for around 40 Bhat (Or you can take the bus to the bus station and then go from there, but it'll cost you an extra tuktuk ride)

Border is open until around 10pm I think, your visa on arrival will take maybe 30+ minutes of pissing around though

• 2 months later...