Thai Sim In Huawei E220 Modem In Bangkok

Filer

I have a Huawei E220 USB modem (labelled 3G Broadband/HSDPA/UMTS/GPR), which I bought and used successfully from a mobile phone co in another country. If I unlock the modem, which I can easily do with one of the on-line services, and put in a Thai Sim, from DTAC for example, and buy an airtime plan paid up-front, what sort of performance can I expect to get these days in central Bangkok? Is it worth the effort?

I’m looking at this as an alternative to taking the laptop to an internet cafe or paying costly hotel charges when I’m staying in Bangkok.

I see some oldish posts on this topic in the forum but I wondered what the situation is today.

It looks like this device would work on all the local service providers' (AIS/One-2-Call, DTAC/Happy and Truemove) GSM data (2G: GPRS/EDGE) networks. And since it has a 2100 Mhz 3G radio it would work on TOT's 3G network, either with a TOT 3G SIM or one from one of their re-sellers: i-Kool, IMobile, MOJO, 365, et. al.

• 3 months later...

hi guys, sorry for hijacking this thread.

I also have a Huawei E220 USB Modem as the OP which I have brought with me from another country. There I could take any SIM card (e.g. I can take my phone SIM and insert it in the modem) and I can easily access the internet. How is the setup here in Thailand?

Do I require a special SIM card? The so called Net Sim or something?

Thanks in advance :)

A SIM is a SIM is a SIM. You do not require a special SIM. You can use any SIM and then layer voice, messaging, data plans on top of it, or get a bundled package with a SIM. The options are nearly endless, and change frequently.

Perhaps you could tell us a little about your requirements? Location(s) in Thailand, duration of stay, usage patterns, sharing the SIM between a phone and the Huawei modem?

Off the top of my head I'd recommend a DTAC/Happy or AIS/One-2-Call SIM. Both have 100% 2G coverage. If just in Bangkok then a TOT3G SIM may be an option.

In this modem/dial-up application a time-based package is OK as you can easily terminate the session. But typically, volume-based packages are easier to deal with, especially in smartphone applications.

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/NetSim-GSMNetSIM.html

http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=425&Itemid=475〈=th

I live in Bangkok and have been using the TOT options for 3G with my laptop- Mojo cards from MBK are 150 baht for 1000MB but I have also used other TOT cards like Real and IEC. The latest and best option for me is 1490 baht per month for a TOT card that is unlimited data for one month. Likely you can get it for less money (or maybe an IEC branded TOT card) at Pantip Plaza but MBK is much more convenient for me.

I am thrilled with the 3G service from TOT and their sub-brands. This is the level of convenience and service that I have been looking for in Bangkok and at a reasonable price. Add a D-Link DIR-412 Mobile Wireless Router to your Huawei (if it is compatible) for 1200 baht (at Pantip) and you have a home network that rocks for downloading torrents or surfing even with two users.

I am living in Bangkok for quite a while now but did not find the Huawei E220 USB Modem useful until recently. I already have a True broadband package at home but would like to use the USB Modem when I feel like working offsite and need a small connection just to send reports occasionally within a day.

I was asking if we do require a special SIM card given the fact that I saw True SIM packaged as "NET SIM"

While I was in my country before, I could use any normal SIM card from any provider with my Huawei E220 USB Modem. Recently, I have tried my 1-2-Call AIS SIM card from my mobile with the modem and I don't seem to find a coverage even if I have changed the Network preferences from the software dashboard (Mobile Partner) to either GSM preferred only or WCDMA preferred only.

Modem is using the firmware 11.313.02.00.01 and the hardware version is CD33TCPU.

Not sure what to say...you've verified the Huawei E220 USB modem works with another SIM? But not your AIS/One-2-Call SIM? Did you set up the proper network configuration and APNs (if those are used? Can you send an MMS with this SIM in your phone, thereby observing the G or E symbol and verifying you have GSM data (2G, GPRS/EDGE)? Is this modem branded, and perhaps locked to your home country's service provider? What kind of phone (make, model) do you have? Can you tether your phone, using it as a modem attached to your PC? Plenty of pitfalls, and options here, just need to work through them logically.

BTW here http://www.huaweie220.com/english/system.html it says this modem supports: HSUPA / HSDPA / UMTS 850 / 1900 / 2100 Mhz

EDGE / GPRS / GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 Mhz

While elsewhere, Huawei documents say it only supports 2100 Mhz 3G.

These Huawei and ZTE model numbering schemes can be confusing with the exact same model number having multiple region/market-specific radios

Edited by lomatopo

thanks for the feedback, lomatopo.

I'm using an old i-mate jasjam and yes I can tether my phone using it as a modem attached to my phone but still the USB modem provides better option in terms of connectivity. The SIM card when used in my phone have a G signed next to the signal, I haven't send any MMS from the phone, have to try that.

Regarding the proper network configuration of the USB modem, I have tried every possible options available and yet the modem cannot find a network to register. Yes the modem is branded but have been unlocked by the provider upon my request when I wanted to change to a new provider.

My wife and I are only using AIS 1-2call SIMs, we haven't tried using other ones. Maybe I'll try that route :)

and yes I can tether my phone using it as a modem attached to my phone

OK, so with the One-2-Call SIM in your phone you can successfully tether it. That would seem to indicate an issue with your Huawei modem?

What kind of data plan do you have currently?