It'S A Matter Of Colour

mezcal

Unofficial are one or two BIB randomly stopping cars/bikes and wanting money. These guys will look for, and find any fault imaginable. Some of it may be made up, some of it is obscure laws that are never otherwise enforced. I am guessing that's where you have to produce copies of the green book and whatnot. In these instances it's best to not stop, or if it's too late, and you're already stopped, smile and say officer I am so sorry but I only have 200 baht on me, my ATM card doesn't work, etc etc, they'll likely let you go just paying 200 baht. Now they could take you to the police station and go through a lot of effort to get the money from you, or they could take the 200 baht and stop 10 or 20 other vehicles in the same time - what are they gonna do? 3 guesses...

You're guessing wrong.

"copies of the green book and whatnot" are regularly checked at a growing number of "official" and "unofficial" police checkpoints in many areas throughout Thailand. If you don't stop and your vehicle number is taken, and the vehicle is in your name, you are increasingly likely to get a visit from the police and an invitation to pay 10,000 baht (plus), have your vehicle confiscated, or go to jail - or all three.

Your "3 guesses" are probably also wrong. They do not need to "take you to the police station and go through a lot of effort to get the money from you" - they simply keep your bike until you return with the money. At a local police box near me, conveniently located on Sukhumvit Road between Pattaya and Sattahip by set of traffic lights, it is not unusual to see anything up to 20 bikes parked at the police box awaiting their owners return - some have been driven by school-children (no licence and usually no helmets - someone with a licence has to come to take the bike away), some by tourists (usually rented by Russians - no licence/ID) and a few by resident expat experts who complain the loudest and pay the most ("only 200 baht on you .... your ATM card doesn't work .... no problem, sir, the motor bike taxi here can take you home and you can come back later" - by the time you get back, assuming you do not want to admit that you lied, your 400 baht fine for a minor infraction has gone up to a few thousand as they have had the time to check all your illegal modifications).

If you're legal, and polite, then you are on your way in a couple of minutes. If you're not then it'll cost you time and money.

I dont get this.. You dont have to take the boike to the DMV.. Go to any est center (place with a yellow gear symbol) and pay them 100 baht and they rub the frame, take the book and you have your tax the next day.. With no visit or check at a DMV required.

These are checking stations licenced by the DLT to check private vehicles (cars and motorbikes) for their annual test after the initial test-free period has expired; they are supposed to check that all the registration details are correct (any modifications/changes registered), as well as emissions, brakes, lights, etc. Depending on the area (and the DLT), some do it more seriously than others and some charge more than others if something is wrong. Once they have given you the paperwork (the equivalent of an MOT) most will process the tax for you (usually for 100 baht +), or you can do it yourself, or you can even send it off by mail (with the book).

just got my black/silver cbr250 registered. Color in the book is black/silver seems like they are getting more specific. I remember in the past even multicolored bikes only had the "main" color in the book? Actually its the decsion of the inspector at DLT so as always no straight rule.... TiT

just got my black/silver cbr250 registered. Color in the book is black/silver seems like they are getting more specific. I remember in the past even multicolored bikes only had the "main" color in the book? Actually its the decsion of the inspector at DLT so as always no straight rule.... TiT

for a new homoleg bike, it is the decission of bike supplier and homoleg center

for any other bike its the decission of applicant filling in info, and accepted or turned down by DLT