Possible Overstay Of 3 To 4 Days - What Options

I've booked a short trip from Australia to Thailand and a quick run across to Vientiane for a couple of days before heading back into Thailand.

I will be crossing by land from Vientiane to Nong Khai on Monday March 14th and understand that I will get a 15 day Visa at the crossing.

I was heading home on March 25th so no problems.

Now - I can extend my stay until April 1st but this would leave me 4 days short with my visa.

I will be in Noong Khai for 2 nights and then Undon Thani for 2 nights before heading off to Jomtien and then back to Bangkok on the 22nd March.

What would be my best option for getting a visa extension and how long would it take and how much would it cost.?

It looks like it might need to rejuggle my plans ..... :-(

Correct, do it at Jomtiem and bring a print out of the e-ticket and a passport size photo, a copy of your passport and 1,900 baht.

EDIT: Given your travel plans you MUST do it in Bangkok, not in jomtiem or elsewhere. See my post below.

Moved to visa section for Thailand.

Edited by Mario2008

I've just been reading about the Immigration Office at Udon Thani.

Would this be a better option for me (rather than Jomtien)?

How long does it take to get a Visa issued - is it a few hours or drop back the next day?

Thanks again to everyone for the very fast replies :-)

No, you can not try it in Udon Thani. It is not a real extension of stay but more an administrative trick to allow you to stay in Thailand for 7 days while they consider your application for an extension. The difference is that a real extension of stay starts from the day your current permission ends, while this " extension" of stay starts on the day you apply for it. So given your plans you should also not do it in Jomtiem as I suggested earlier, but in Bangkok!

It is a simple process, that should take maybe 10 minutes excluding the waiting time for your turn at the immigration office.

Thanks again 'Mario2008'

If I understand correctly .... it is not possible to apply for an extension of 4 days at Udon Thani or Jomtien until the end of my 15 day visa (issued at Nong Khai).

Even with a confirmed eticket back to Australia (April 1st), I can't apply for a 4 day extension before the end of my existing Visa - is this right?

Thanks again

Thanks again for all the replies.

I was thinking of heading up to Chang Rai.

Can I assume that the Immigration Office there will be able to process my application?

What would a worse case senario mean - ie application not granted and fronting up at Suvarnabhumi Airport with a 4 day overstay?

Thanks again for all the replies.

What would a worse case senario mean - ie application not granted and fronting up at Suvarnabhumi Airport with a 4 day overstay?

Application will not be refused providing you have the necessary docs as listed in previous posts.

Overstay 500 Baht a day but why risk it (if caught before reaching the airport arrest will follow) when the cost is the same to extend?

You have been given good advice...I would take it!!

Edited by Tafia

If CR will not do it, you simply turn up at another immigration office, like Chiang Mai. You are not bound to a particular immigration office, only to the time applying, and like I said, you can do it a few days before your permission to stay ends.

Normally it is no problem.

Or simply go to the border and enter Burma and return to Thailand for another 15 days.

Thanks again everyone.

I phoned the Thai Consulate in my home city to ask for a double entry visa - explaining my situation in some detail.

This would have cost me A$90 and saved all the hassel for an extra A$25 over the 7 day extension (1,900 Bht)

I was told that I should apply for a 60 day Tourist Visa (free) and the just tell the Immigration Officer at Suvarnabhumi Airport that I want a 2 day Transit Visa and that I will use the Tourist visa when I cross from Lao back to Thailand :-)

Looks like there was a simple (and cheap) answer right under my nose.

Thanks again for all the replies and very helpful information.

Good luck with that - immigration do not issue such visas and do not allow holding back using a visa that is in your passport normally. I suspect the Consulate was trying to say use visa exempt entry and then use the tourist visa later - but as said immigration has not been happy to do this for the last year or so.

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

It sounds like (given I have now booked my flight to Chiang Rai) a bus to Mae Sai and a US$10 fee for a few hours over the border in Tachileik will get me a new 15 day stamp and make a good day trip as well.

I've read that the Myanmar Immigration fee is US$10 or 500 Baht and that they hold your passport and issue a 14 day pass.

Now I'll look into getting a bus from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai and transport to and from the bus station to the border.

Thanks again people - this is a much more appealing plan for solving a 4 day overstay on the first 15 day entry stamp.