U.S. Senator Thune decides not to run for presidency

News_Editor

U.S. Senator Thune decides not to run for presidency

2011-02-23 07:49:53 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- Republican U.S. Senator John Thune on Tuesday announced that he will not run for president of the United States in 2012.

Thune made his decision public through a statement to his supporters on his official website, ending a long period of speculation about his political future. "For months now, my wife Kimberley and I have received encouragement from family, friends, colleagues, and supporters from across South Dakota and the country to run for the presidency of the United States," Thune said.

The U.S. Senator from South Dakota said he and his family have given a "great deal of thought" of how they might best serve South Dakota and the United States. "That process has involved lots of prayers," he said.

"There is a battle to be waged over what kind of country we are going to leave our children and grandchildren and that battle is happening now in Washington, not two years from now," Thune said. "So at this time, I feel that I am best positioned to fight for America’s future here in the trenches of the United States Senate."

Thune has served as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from South Dakota's At-Large district from January 1997 until January 2003. After that, Thune assumed office as the U.S. Senator from South Dakota in January 2005.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-02-23