Thai Police Probe Mysterious Death Of British Couple In Chiang Mai

webfact

RIP and condolences to the family.

I would imagine an autopsy would shed some light on this. Presumably the bodies will be sent to Bangkok and this will be carried out ?

Pure speculation but as already mentioned suicide cannot be ruled out until an autopsy is carried out. Thailand is on the map for those wishing to end their lives due to the high availability of nembutal.

As a final way out this has been the subject of many media articles in western countries. It's well known that Mexico and Thailand are a source for this drug.

If they ingested all they had there wouldn't be any trace left in the room fo supply clues.

Although you would think they would write a goodbye letter to family.

Strangely enough, just last week I posted on a UK newspaper forum regarding the prospective government cuts and it's effect on the already poor treatment received by the elderly in 'care homes'. I stated that I lived in Thailand and was surprised at the number of 'expats' saying they would 'go home' if things got too bad for them here, in their dotage.

I said I very much appreciated the Thais selling Nembutal over the counter here (which appeared on another thread regarding the number of Australians coming here specifically to that end - no pun intended :D). The hastily closed thread included a photo of a local vet's sign advertising Nembutal with the byline 'Australians Welcome Here!' LOL!

I'd posted on the newspaper forum that I'd already made a pact with a Thai friend, that if I ever got to that stage I would rather imbibe Nembutal than be shipped back to the depressing shit hole that is the UK anyway.

My money's on Nembutal. And I wouldn't leave a bloody note.

I guess thats one way ( Nembutal ) and God speed if it fits your beliefs and concept of life .

Edited by philhal2

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another strange one...Agatha Christie stuff nearly every day of the week of late!!

I am just amazed at what you Guys are coming up with, are you all Detectives??? live them alone, it's bad enough to have passed away in a strange country and not at home,

may they rest in peace.

Another strange one...Agatha Christie stuff nearly every day of the week of late!!

Tragic story indeed!!! At least the silent killer (carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty heater) can be discounted, although this is remarkably similar (body positions at death) from just this type of poisoning. Can't imagine what could have happened in this mysterious double-death though. Very strange occurrence that will take some working out!!

Thai police told the BBC that the couple was found dead in their room at the DownTown Inn

Downtown Inn - Chiang Mai

โรงแรม ดาวทาวน์ อินน์ - เชียงใหม่

One could suspect cyanosis - if there was a leaking A/C or charcoal burner in the room...

Puzzled - Why did Buchholz repeat the name of the inn and then repeat it in Thai..??

'Lohng Lam Dahw Tahw Inn - Chiang Mai'

I read somewhere that this is the same hotel where the girls from New Zealand stayed when they were in Chiang Mai one of whom died.

A mere coincidence! rolleyes.gif Does anyone know the results or causes of the New Zealand girls death yet?

check out Andrew Drummond's link above - the NZ girl was staying at the same hotel as the deceased elderly couple - severe food poisoning seems to be the cause of the girl's demise.

There are some nasty pathogens in this country - I got tinnitus 5 years ago from what appeared to be an intense viral head cold.

I read somewhere that this is the same hotel where the girls from New Zealand stayed when they were in Chiang Mai one of whom died.

A mere coincidence! rolleyes.gif Does anyone know the results or causes of the New Zealand girls death yet?

check out Andrew Drummond's link above - the NZ girl was staying at the same hotel as the deceased elderly couple - severe food poisoning seems to be the cause of the girl's demise.

There are some nasty pathogens in this country - I got tinnitus 5 years ago from what appeared to be an intense viral head cold.

Tinnitus can follow any viral infection, anywhere. It can also be caused (they say) by aspirin, quinine, firing guns, dj's.......and good ol' rock 'n' roll ( i should know :blink: )

Police say they have ruled out gas poisoning and there were no medications in the room

They could have taken something elsewhere and then returned to the room to die ?

RIP. and condolence to their families.

I know Boston, Lincs - many good, rural folks.

Thanks for that (sweet mouth):lol: will get you a can of coke at sometime. ger off !!!:lol:

Thai police told the BBC that the couple was found dead in their room at the DownTown Inn

Downtown Inn - Chiang Mai

โรงแรม ดาวทาวน์ อินน์ - เชียงใหม่

One could suspect cyanosis - if there was a leaking A/C or charcoal burner in the room...

Puzzled - Why did Buchholz repeat the name of the inn and then repeat it in Thai..??

'Lohng Lam Dahw Tahw Inn - Chiang Mai'

Above that there was a photo of the hotel where the incident took place, but it was edited out.

Don't know why.

suicide comes to mind.

but they should do post mortem asap, now is at least 3 days afted they died - the sooner they know facts the sooner the police can do their job (if necessary)

There is a law in Thailand that says that every death of which the cause is not obvious requires an autopsy. For certain reasons I have no doubt that this will be (has been?) done within the required and reasonable time frame. However, I do not believe that the results need to be (or even can be) published on a public list like this.

Also note that the death of every foreigner has to be reported to their embassy within a certain time frame. I am quite confident that this has been done by the Thai authorities, and that the embassy is also helping to protect the privacy of the deceased, meaning the result of the autopsy. Which has no doubt taken place in the meantime.

Therefore, I do not believe we will see the outcome of the autopsy on this forum. My suggestion is to stop all speculations.

RIP, and my condolences to the family.

Police say they have ruled out gas poisoning and there were no medications in the room

They could have taken something elsewhere and then returned to the room to die ?

RIP. and condolence to their families.

I know Boston, Lincs - many good, rural folks.

Thanks for that (sweet mouth):lol: will get you a can of coke at sometime. ger off !!!:lol:

Yer ON ol bor - i mean, thanks awfully, why not ? :D

( facing a trip back to K.Lynn in 2 months time :( )

This topic, because it seems to have been posted because of morbid and very common interest in a "hot story" and the following posts, generally --- including the RIP notes --- which follow are an outrageous example of the stupid, truly ignorant speculative, village gossip nonsense of TV posters that shows up so often. You know who you are. Go back to your pub, your warm beer and reading scandal sheets!

Typical, every time someone dies, some idiot pipes up as if its a murder cover up, brainless people who pass on the rubbish they hear other idiots blurt out.

[/b]Two people die at the same time and you think it's a run of the mill everyday occurance????

Who made you the font of all knowledge?

Edited by Scott
flame edited out/Scott

I would imagine an autopsy would shed some light on this. Presumably the bodies will be sent to Bangkok and this will be carried out ?

Pure speculation but as already mentioned suicide cannot be ruled out until an autopsy is carried out. Thailand is on the map for those wishing to end their lives due to the high availability of nembutal.

No need to send them to Bangkok for Post-mortem. Suan Dok Hospital on the CMU campus is perfectly cable of handling it.

Good luck finding Nembutal in a C.M. Pharmacy. Pharmacies here do not stock barbiturates. They are very conservative compared to somewhere like Pattaya. I doubt even Pattaya pharmacies sell barbiturates over the counter.

suicide comes to mind.

but they should do post mortem asap, now is at least 3 days afted they died - the sooner they know facts the sooner the police can do their job (if necessary)

There is a law in Thailand that says that every death of which the cause is not obvious requires an autopsy. For certain reasons I have no doubt that this will be (has been?) done within the required and reasonable time frame. However, I do not believe that the results need to be (or even can be) published on a public list like this.

Also note that the death of every foreigner has to be reported to their embassy within a certain time frame. I am quite confident that this has been done by the Thai authorities, and that the embassy is also helping to protect the privacy of the deceased, meaning the result of the autopsy. Which has no doubt taken place in the meantime.

Therefore, I do not believe we will see the outcome of the autopsy on this forum. My suggestion is to stop all speculations.

RIP, and my condolences to the family.

..you're right..you will never see the Autopsy Report..why would you..it is a confidential document completed by the appointed Government Pathologist and controlled by the Coroner, released to the Police and family via the deceased's embassy.

Any Sudden Death, the cause of which is unknown is the subject of a Coronial Inquiry and must have a full or limited autopsy to ascertain the cause of death.

The Coroner would order the Autopsy as soon as he receives the Police Report..a matter of hours.

Toxicology results can take up to 6 weeks.

If the Coroner cannot determine a Cause of Death from evidence put before him he can make an Open Finding or if he finds there are other areas or charges that may arise out of his finding, he may refer the matter back to the Dept. Public Prosecutions for investigation.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Edited by rodcourt49

You are so right to mention the dangers to health of Mono Sodium Glutamate.........I was hospitalized after consuming MSG at a Chinese restaurant in London a few years ago, suffering from arrhythmia (a well documented side effect of the substance).

There should be a total ban on the use of this substance. If flavoursome food cannot be produced without resorting to using such a dangerous additive, it doesn't reflect very well on those preparing it!

Good guess....u may be right on this theory

Based on my education, I would sumise that this poor couple died of CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING..... it would fit every piece of this seemingly unidentifiable puzzle. Carbon monoxide is odourless, slow acting ,and has the efect of putting people into a sleep followed by coma, then death. Perhaps the police should concentrate on items removed and professional/business interests and monetary gains by possible competitors. RIP to these poor people.

Mysterious indeed. A thurough investigation into the elderly couples past and recent monetary and social activites should be probed.

Suicide, accidental death, or natural causes also can not be ruled out.

Neither can death by another's hands.

Good forensic's and a good investigation :whistling: would help solve at least part of the mystery.

a kiwi girl died a couple of weeks ago in CM from what they first said was food poisioning from seaweed her, and two of her friends ate, then later said it was a curry of some sort bought at a local market...perhas this couple went the same way..wife lying sick on the bed, husband trying to help her until he dropped...could have been spiked drinks..topsi should have been done pronto

Will it be like all the other cases ? dropped investigation and pretend it was suicide ? So many foreigners die in Thailand but rarely seen anyone being arrested of trialed. :angry: :angry:

I think until the results of the autopsy are known may I politely suggest that some posters didn't speculate that the staff of the hotel might have been responsible for murder.

A bit more here

From Andrew Drummond,

Bangkok, February 23 2010

Pathologist were today examining the bodies of two British pensioners who died in a holiday hotel - just days after three young New Zealanders collaped there in a fatal attack of alleged food poisoning.

george-everitt.jpg

Pensioners George and Eileen Everitt from Boston, Lincs, were found dead in the Downtown Inn in the northern capital of Chiang Mai at the weekend days after a 23-yr-old New Zealand woman, who was also staying at the hotel died allegedly of food poisoning and her two friends sharing the same room were taken seriously ill.

eileen-everitt.jpg

http://www.andrew-dr...as-red-herring/

Young NZ died just DAYS AT THE SAME HOTEL (!?) after this couple checked in/out?!!!!! What, if any, was the autopsy report on her? 'Stopped breathing'?

Edited by inmysights

No need to send them to Bangkok for Post-mortem. Suan Dok Hospital on the CMU campus is perfectly cable of handling it.

Good luck finding Nembutal in a C.M. Pharmacy. Pharmacies here do not stock barbiturates. They are very conservative compared to somewhere like Pattaya. I doubt even Pattaya pharmacies sell barbiturates over the counter.

NOT pharmacies - vets. It's what they put sick animals 'to sleep' with.

Look a bit bloody suspicious if one were to ask for it over the counter of an establishment catering to HUMAN customers wouldn't it?!

a kiwi girl died a couple of weeks ago in CM from what they first said was food poisioning from seaweed her, and two of her friends ate, then later said it was a curry of some sort bought at a local market...perhas this couple went the same way..wife lying sick on the bed, husband trying to help her until he dropped...could have been spiked drinks..topsi should have been done pronto

Yes of course. Thank you for your totally unfounded speculation, this was certainly a valuable contritbution to this thread. You have been very helpful.

FEATOGRAPHY [

We have had mysterious, non violent deaths in rooms before, in Thailand. I've read more than once, it being blamed on toxic air from the a/c units, that go too long being cleaned and serviced. They are just as susceptable to virus', bacterea, whatever it is that blows on unsuspecting customers, it is fast acting and lethal. Sorry I don't remember exactly what came out of the past ones that killed people in the rooms, but do remember the blame fell on the a/c units.

My sincere condolences to the family. On another note, I am not so sure that the powers that be are anywhere near 100% responsible for not following up or finding causes to peoples' demise. I put 2 cents on the snooze media being the ones that don't follow up on the results.:coffee1:

Utter rubbish, nothing coming out of a working AC unit is going to kill two people at the same time, however dirty.

WHAT DRUGS ARE YOU SMOKING!

Edited by loser1

NOT pharmacies - vets. It's what they put sick animals 'to sleep' with.

Look a bit bloody suspicious if one were to ask for it over the counter of an establishment catering to HUMAN customers wouldn't it?!

They don't use Nembutal. They use one of 2 other veterinary drugs. I can't think of the name of them now.