Missing Bookmarks / Favourite.

Nickerelastic

All my bookmarks etc have mysteriously vanished into the ether. Also a few of my logins for forums had to be reactivated.

Using Firefox and XP Pro'

This occurred after my son used my pc over the last few days. The pc is set up for only one user ID.

Is it possible;

A; some of the dodgy music download sites he was looking at could have caused this?

There's no point in suggesting I look at History Files. My pc is set to automatically delete history files each time I shut-down my pc

B; It's a blip?

C; The afore mentioned missing items are still on my pc and can be located?

One other thing, I added his profile to Trillian so he could use his MSN messenger account, which will removed as he has now gone back to CH.

So far AVG and Ad aware have drawn a blank as far a virus goes.

Any help would be appreciated

On a brighter note I do have all of my bookmarks pre upgrade to XP Pro' on My Blokes pc.

I'm curious as to how this happened when allowing another user to use my pc.

Cheers Nic'

Edited by Nickerelastic

I've bumped this rather then start a new thread.

Most of the features on this forum have gone belly up .......none of them work anymore.

e.g. None of the tags in the reply box work or My assistant.

I've cleared cache etc. Does this mean a re-instal of FF?

Cheers Nic'

Are the ads working? (just trying to diagnose something)

When you try to use "my assistant" does the window even open?

Are you using a popup blocker, either the regular one in FF or another?

cv

I've bumped this rather then start a new thread.

I've cleared cache etc. Does this mean a re-instal of FF?

One of Firefox's most annoying bugs is the lost bookmark bug. If you experience a power outage or a blue screen or otherwise have a major system failure _while Firefox is running_ your bookmarks, and usually also your cookie and history, will be deleted 90% of the time.

There is a bookmarks.bak in your Mozilla user profile which contains a current version of your bookmarks, but if you start Firefox then close it again, that .bak file will be overwritten. So you have to be quick to remember to rename your bak file before you restart Firefox. If not, it's gone for good.

There are actually a number of Firefox extensions available for creating backup-backups of your users files, one of them will even upload and store them offsite for you.

Why this bug has remained in Firefox (and Netscape before it) for so long its a mystery. I'm hoping they have finally fixed it in v1.5.

cdnvic, The ad's are not showing. ""as per ad-block"" FF extension.

The reply and quote buttons don't work either. Only 'fast reply'.

clokwise, As I stated before I have a backup on my fella's pc.

My issue is, this happened when I allowed another user access to my pc.

For me it's no big deal to do a re-install of Firefox. If it will resolve the weird problems on Thai Visa.

Re-installed FF and the backup extension mentioned in the other thread.

Still having the weird problems here on TV........I wonder could it be anything to do the Ad-blocker?

Try disabling it then logout by "delete cookies set by this board" and logging back in. See if it makes a difference.

cv

I know this is too late for you now, but you might want to take a look at a batch file (good old DOS :o ) that I run every time I start my computer. The batch file resides in the Startup folder.

It copies lots of important stuff to a second hard drive in case of problems.

Two of the folders it copies are my Firefox profile folder and my Firefox program folder.

Here is a snippet - you would have to tailor it for your own PC:

REM ----------------------Firefox Profiles--------------------------

@echo Copying Firefox Profiles:                                      C:\Documents and Settings\acer\Application Data\Mozilla\*
if exist  "F:\_Master Copies\Safe\Mozilla\Profiles\%folder%"   rmdir "F:\_Master Copies\Safe\Mozilla\Profiles\%folder%" /S /Q
xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\acer\Application Data\Mozilla\*"    "F:\_Master Copies\Safe\Mozilla\Profiles\%folder%\" /E/Q/H/K/R/Y/V /EXCLUDE:ExcludedProfFiles.txt
copy "timecopied.txt"                                                "F:\_Master Copies\Safe\Mozilla\Profiles\%folder%\"    >nul:

REM ----------------------Firefox Program-------------------------

@echo Copying Firefox Program:                                       C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\*
if exist  "F:\_Master Copies\Safe\Mozilla\ProgFiles\%folder%" rmdir  "F:\_Master Copies\Safe\Mozilla\ProgFiles\%folder%" /S /Q
xcopy "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\*"                           "F:\_Master Copies\Safe\Mozilla\ProgFiles\%folder%\" /E/Q/H/K/R/Y/V
copy "timecopied.txt"                                                "F:\_Master Copies\Safe\Mozilla\ProgFiles\%folder%\"   >nul: