Kho Chang

sipidan

Hey i'm heading to Koh Chang in a couple of weeks as i've heard so much good stuff about the place

But failed to remember any recommendations regarding hotels&beaches etc.

I'd prefer a beach bungalow actually, max 1500 baht a night

Any recommendations from BM's on beaches & bungalows Cheers :D

Will stay a month if i really like the place

Need to get away from the usual Pattaya. Phuket & Samui trips

First time there I'd stay in the White Sand Beach area. Lots of very nice beach front bungalows in your price range. A few days of exploring the Island you might want something quieter if that is what you like, or you just might stay there. It is a busier area and it has coffee shops, 711's and the like. We've stayed other places but some are just too dead. Make sure you take the 4 island snorkeling tour if that is still running. It's a steal for 500 baht with all the food they feed you with. Hit the evening beach meals.... I'm missing the Pomfret Butter Fish already!

I can't believe Koh Chang's high season, seems to be the longest in Thailand <_<

It goes from December until May :blink:

And seems like no deals to be had as the girlfriend has telephoned a few & there not budging on there rates even for 2/3weeks

Was hoping to get a bungalow around White Sands for around 1500 baht but most are over 2000 baht!

T_Dog it looks like i'll just turn up & check them out in person

Any advise from other BM would be greatly welcomed, cheers :jap:

First time there I'd stay in the White Sand Beach area. Lots of very nice beach front bungalows in your price range. A few days of exploring the Island you might want something quieter if that is what you like, or you just might stay there. It is a busier area and it has coffee shops, 711's and the like. We've stayed other places but some are just too dead. Make sure you take the 4 island snorkeling tour if that is still running. It's a steal for 500 baht with all the food they feed you with. Hit the evening beach meals.... I'm missing the Pomfret Butter Fish already!

Fingers crossed on the 4 islands snorkeling tour amigo :D

I'm also big into scuba diving, not sure what its like around Koh Chang

Did you do any? If so company? Dive sites? Price?

My wife and I love Koh Chang. We stay at the Paradise Resort and get a beautiful bungalow right on the beach, but it might be a little bit more than you want to spend at about 2500 per night, but well worth a little extra.

I've been Koh chang since late November this trip, and spend a few months there last year as well. There are literally tons of bungalows on the beach for your choosing. In White Sands there are many fan rooms on the beach for 700, a/c with hot showers are +/- 1000. Many monthly deals to be had. Kai Bea Huts (on the beach) are 700 per night and include breakfast. My rec is to rent a place for a couple of nights so you have somewhere to arrive. Then just walk up and down the beach looking at what you like... you will find it for 1000 to 1200 max for a month stay. You can also find water front "quiet" places for 6000 per month, and houses with kitchens that are not on the beach for 6000 to 10,000. On the low end there are lots of breach front fan rooms for 500... Kai Bea, Lonely Beach, etc. Nicer with hot showers ensuite for 700.

Some good scuba outfits.. BB is good. A couple of others, too.

Like I said, show up and stay anywhere for a couple of nights. Rent a scooter and/or walk up and down the beach. The islands is almost record setting empty, so there are plenty of deals to be had!

Allen

P.S. I am paying 10,000 per month for a large one bedroom fully furnished apartment with full kitchen, a/c, wifi, TV, hot shower ensuite, etc. in Kai Bea. Koh Chang Residence... the owner is Mo.

Edited by atsiii

They still do the 4 island snorkeling tour, but the advertised prices is now 950 baht. I did it for 450 baht but this was like 7 years ago so I am afraid you have to be prepared to pay a little more.

P.S. I am paying 10,000 per month for a large one bedroom fully furnished apartment with full kitchen, a/c, wifi, TV, hot shower ensuite, etc. in Kai Bea. Koh Chang Residence... the owner is Mo.

I am usually staying on Kai Bae, where are the apartments located? Can't remember I have seen a place called Koh Chang Residence. Could you please help me with contact details to Mo, or link to web page. Because it's sounds like a place that I could be interested in renting next time I go there. Thanks.

They still do the 4 island snorkeling tour, but the advertised prices is now 950 baht. I did it for 450 baht but this was like 7 years ago so I am afraid you have to be prepared to pay a little more.

950 baht? Maybe that is from a different company. We paid 500 baht last year and the year before. They advertise it at 600 baht but we always find a discounted rate somewhere. Could it really have gone up that much in a single year? Still worth it, but quite an increase.

950 baht? Maybe that is from a different company. We paid 500 baht last year and the year before. They advertise it at 600 baht but we always find a discounted rate somewhere. Could it really have gone up that much in a single year? Still worth it, but quite an increase.

Must have been a different company, I just read the ad outside the shop (Jan this year), never booked the trip. Seams like you could save some hundreds of baht if you do your work and shop around like you did.

I've been Koh chang since late November this trip, and spend a few months there last year as well. There are literally tons of bungalows on the beach for your choosing. In White Sands there are many fan rooms on the beach for 700, a/c with hot showers are +/- 1000. Many monthly deals to be had. Kai Bea Huts (on the beach) are 700 per night and include breakfast. My rec is to rent a place for a couple of nights so you have somewhere to arrive. Then just walk up and down the beach looking at what you like... you will find it for 1000 to 1200 max for a month stay. You can also find water front "quiet" places for 6000 per month, and houses with kitchens that are not on the beach for 6000 to 10,000. On the low end there are lots of breach front fan rooms for 500... Kai Bea, Lonely Beach, etc. Nicer with hot showers ensuite for 700.

Like I said, show up and stay anywhere for a couple of nights. Rent a scooter and/or walk up and down the beach. The islands is almost record setting empty, so there are plenty of deals to be had!

Allen

Some fantastic info there for me to take on board thanks :jap:

And i'm gonna do exactly what you said, just turn up&check into somewhere for 2nights!

Then as always hire a bike&cruise around as well looking at places strolling a long the beach!

Kai Bea beach is exactly how long on a bike from White Sands Beach?

Would you say Kai Bea beach is more beautiful?

Quote"You can also find water front "quiet" places for 6000 per month, and houses with kitchens that are not on the beach for 6000 to 10,000" Is this at Kai Bea beach only?

Can you PM me any links to house/apartments/acco with a kitchen in Kho Chang, as i've been think i don't have to stay on the beach in a bungalow, thats something that i may do in there green season & stay at a nice resort that i wouldn't dream of paying in high season :lol:

Can't wait to get there in a week or two B)

As i've never been&need a refreshing change from all the touristy places i always go to!!

Just one more thing, do you know if you can do a quick visa run from KC to Cambodia,as hoping to stay in Thailand 45days :unsure: and won't have time to sort out a visa before arriving :ermm:

Thanks once again :wai:

Edited by sipidan

I am usually staying on Kai Bae, where are the apartments located? Can't remember I have seen a place called Koh Chang Residence. Could you please help me with contact details to Mo, or link to web page. Because it's sounds like a place that I could be interested in renting next time I go there. Thanks.

Mo has a page on Facebook called "Koh Chang Residence." You can also call him at 081.410.4747. The apartments are about 200 meters inland from the main road through Kai Bea.

Good luck!

Allen

Allen

Some fantastic info there for me to take on board thanks :jap:

And i'm gonna do exactly what you said, just turn up&check into somewhere for 2nights!

Then as always hire a bike&cruise around as well looking at places strolling a long the beach!

Kai Bea beach is exactly how long on a bike from White Sands Beach?

Would you say Kai Bea beach is more beautiful?

Quote"You can also find water front "quiet" places for 6000 per month, and houses with kitchens that are not on the beach for 6000 to 10,000" Is this at Kai Bea beach only?

Can you PM me any links to house/apartments/acco with a kitchen in Kho Chang, as i've been think i don't have to stay on the beach in a bungalow, thats something that i may do in there green season & stay at a nice resort that i wouldn't dream of paying in high season :lol:

Can't wait to get there in a week or two B)

As i've never been&need a refreshing change from all the touristy places i always go to!!

Just one more thing, do you know if you can do a quick visa run from KC to Cambodia,as hoping to stay in Thailand 45days :unsure: and won't have time to sort out a visa before arriving :ermm:

Thanks once again :wai:

I am in BKK for a few days before I head back to Koh chang on 3/3, so I don't have a lot of links with me. If you call me at 087.548.2665 when you arrive, I'd be happy to meet up and/or point you in several directions you inquire about.

The quiet bungalow I was thinking about for 5000 to 6000 is a little ways down the east side (quiet side) towards Salak Phet; but there are many on the west side, too. The houses for rent for 5000 to 6000 per month with kitchen are in Klong Prao, about half way down the west side (tourist side) of the island. Klong Prao is a nice compromise... great beach, river, plenty of restaurants, etc. There are nice fan bungalows right on the beach in Kai Bea for 700 baht per night at Kai Bea Huts, and I'm sure they would give you a good monthly rate. The 700 per night rate includes breakfast.

Yes, I did a Cambodia visa run a couple of weeks ago. I used Tony's Travel and booked the visa run through a Brit named Colin at Coco Dee Bo Tours. I think it was 1400??? But I don't really remember. The mini van will pick you up at the KC side of the ferry (Sapparrot Ferry), take to across and down to Cambodia, wait an hour for you, then take you back to the KC ferry. We left about 9am and were back around 3pm. I can give you Colin's number, but I don't have it on my phone... it is in Kai Bea.

More if you need/want it.

Allen

Cheers Allen :)

All your info is excellent for me :wai:

I think i'm gonna stay here Coconut Beach Bungalows for my 1st 2 nights, it was recommended by a guy at work who stayed there over Xmas!

And then check out Klong Prao Beach & come down to check out Kai Bea Beach B)

Kai Bea Huts sound alright, but i'm also interested in the houses & apartments you've mentioned. I've sent a message to Mo & currrently awaiting a reply ;)

Thanks once again :)

And i appreciated your mobile number will buy you a drink of your choice if i'm in your area :D

:signthaivisa:

Edited by sipidan

Which is the best way to get to Koh Chang from Bangkok?

VIP Bus?

Where do they leave from?

Thanks

If you stay in BKK i think a good value is to book a minibus. They pick you up at the hotel in the morning and take you to your destination on Koh Chang. I used a company called Seahorse last time, travel took about 6 hours. Price was 700 b (including ferry) in Oct 2010.

Bangkok airways also have flights to Trat and from there you can continue by minibus to Koh Chang. Save some time but cost much more.

I think some have reported in the past that there is a bus service from Ekamai in Bangkok to the Koh Chang pier.

Not sure of the standard of this particular bus service?

there is a great minibus service from Victory Monument for 300 Baht direct to the pier...They leave when they are full...which is about every hour or so...