Suvarnabhumi Airport: A Bad Experience For Travellers

webfact

EDITORIAL

Suvarnabhumi: a bad experience for travellers

By The Nation

Bangkok's 'showpiece' airport is still beset by ongoing problems, from long queues to taxi scams to overpriced food. Will it ever change?

It was supposed to be the nation's pride and joy, a grand first impression for foreign visitors. But ever since Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport came into existence, it has been plagued with problems.

First, there weren't enough toilets. Then came reports about cracked runways. Later it was occupied for weeks by anti-government yellow-shirt demonstrators - a move that brought regional transportation to its knees.

Today, the airport is still beset by problems. The "Tweeple", in their "tweets" to Nation Group editor-in-chief Suthichai Yoon, have made their voices heard, and we at The Nation thank them for speaking out. If anyone doubts their words, then one should visit the airport and take a look around.

Take the situation with taxis, for example - a problem which, it seems, will never go away. Not only has the pick-up point been moved up and down several times, the drivers still have yet to find any common ground with the airport authorities, or the passengers for that matter.

Quite simply, wouldn't it be plain common sense to place the pickup point on the arrival floor - like all other international airports do?

Some meter-taxis continue to refuse passengers who, legally, want to pay by the meter. For some passengers the only option is to hire a vehicle at an inflated price or resort to the still inadequate public transport services. Why put on a meter in the first place if the driver is going to overcharge passengers with luggage. Besides this, it seems that the only destinations they know are the five-star hotels in Bangkok or Pattaya. Another option is to hail a cab that drops off passengers on the departure floor. But then these drivers only want to pick up foreigners on their way to Pattaya. And let's not forget the speeding cars that pay no heed to the pedestrian crossings between the terminals and the car park.

The airport express train was created so that passengers can avoid Bangkok's notorious traffic, but this lacks convenient access at many stations and is basically useless for anyone carrying more than one item of luggage.

Once inside the airport, passengers are subjected to slow and outdated procedures at long immigration lines, where delays of an hour are common. The security checks are no quicker, unless you are one of the handful of privileged passengers permitted through the express VIP lane.

Beyond immigration and security, food outlets are outrageously expensive. A small mineral water costs Bt55 per bottle. How about the authorities putting a cap on rentals and thus the food price?

Ever since the US got stricter on visas for people from Islamic countries, many Muslims have chosen Thailand as their choice of destination for vacations and business. But while there is a prayer room at the airport, there is no halal food visible in the terminals. There are halal stalls at a food court in the basement, where fair prices are charged, but how many people would know about this hideaway place if not for word of mouth.

Many of the "tweets" complain about dirty toilets. Here is a problem that shouldn't be too hard to solve. If they can charge extortionate prices for commercial rentals, surely the authorities can hire more cleaners with the money they are generating. It is doubtful that the cleaning staff get decent pay. Besides the lack of proper facilities for disabled people, how about providing diaper-changing facilities for parents travelling with infants?

Luggage handling is another problem. Even with "fragile" signs posted on them, bags and packages are often damaged. If the baggage-handlers aren't proficient in simple English, a drawing of a broken glass should be enough. That should be one of the first things taught in the job orientation. Security guards are all over the airport but the only thing they seem to be good at is blocking off certain escalators.

Perhaps it was @Peter_de_Chef who summed up the airport best: "Expensive food, not enough toilets, long immigration queues, bad-mannered officials, mafia at the parking lot, crooked taxi-drivers, no free wi-fi, too far to walk."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-02

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good brief synopsis of the myriad of problems besetting the "Showcase of Asia" or whatever other BS titles it's been bestowed to this airport resembling a giant Costco store.

Would personally add that is often uncomfortably warm, particularly on the upper floors, to the list.

The price of food is my main complaint, 350 baht for fast food meals which cost 120 outside. Also find it a chore battling through the myriad touts and scammers and distinguishing the legit services from those.

Apart from that it's fine, works like any other airport.

Whingers will whinge.

I must say i hate the long, long walk from plane to pick up my bags - what genius thought of that one? and signage is terrible

Yes, it felt like a kilometer from the plane to Immigration when I arrived last month, seriously.

Totally agree with the comments. I used to use the old Don Muang airport, and really looked forward to the opening of the new one in October , 2006.

I came through there about a week after the new airport opened, and was amazed that they even considered opening it when they did.

Since then, I have come through there about 25 times . The lighting has improved in the check in areas. Initially, the girls in the THAI check in were almost working in the dark.

However , agree with you that the air condtioning is far too hot. Too far to walk from the planes to immigration. Once you go out to the gate for boarding , there is nothing out there, should you desire to get something from a shop.

Why on earth, the designers and people responsible didn't look at SIngapore, Hong Kong and Incheon, for ideas is beyond me. Incheon is the best airport I used to go through.

Basically, this place is a shopping center where people park their planes to go shopping.

I must say i hate the long, long walk from plane to pick up my bags - what genius thought of that one? and signage is terrible

Yes, it felt like a kilometer from the plane to Immigration when I arrived last month, seriously.

Easily! Especially if you arrive on one of the "poorer" airlines who can only afford the far-away terminals/bus doors...

Totally unpredictable. To be fair, I have landed at Suvarnabhumi and breezed through with lightning speed, only on the next trip to be stuck in the immigration line for an hour and a half. It definitely has some of the longest hikes I have encountered, but they do have the moving pathways to help one along. With complaint after complaint recently registered about immigration lines, here and in Postbag, I wonder if officials are actually going TO DO SOMETHING about it?

The long walk in due to it being the largest passenger terminal in the world. Fan-bloody-tastic! Maybe the reason they have smaller passenger terminals is because they are easier to handle and more convenient. A classic turtle and hare story

The price of food is my main complaint, 350 baht for fast food meals which cost 120 outside. Also find it a chore battling through the myriad touts and scammers and distinguishing the legit services from those.

Apart from that it's fine, works like any other airport.

Whingers will whinge.

Actually, one aspect of the old Don Meuang was definitely *unlike* most other airports: the great food court near the walkway between the domestic and international terminals (on the int'l side), prices (and food) just like any unpretentious little food court in any older Thai mall...plus, you could cross over the highway and be in an actual Bangkok neighborhood, and get food, a massage, etc., and almost-local prices, sigh. Though of course, airports in the middle of cities are a fast-disappearing thing, with a few exceptions left like Midway in Chicago and LaGuardia in NYC in the States...

And, unfortunately, the officials aren't gonna do **** all about it, because why? because customers have no other choice. Bastards! I say, let's go back to don muang which at least had some charachter... and why on earth don't they have any pubs lik don muang?

I'd have to say this airport was both my first and worst impression of Bangkok. Made me want to leave Thailand asap.

Sandwich had mold on it and i was charged 1200B for a taxi to Victoria monument (I didnt know about airport link/bts :S )

IMHO, main problem is that there seems to be no information desk for transport. Phuket and Chiang mai (and every other airport in the word) have a help desk near the exit, where you can ask how to get where you are going. Although, maybe there is an information desk, who would know, its a f***n maze with no signs...

???How are we supposed to know the airport link exists???

Suvarnabhumi Airport:

Construction 5 stars

Service 0 Stars

you should try Hangzhou Airport in Zhejiang Province

I was there on Sunday. Over an hour to get through immigration and then 671 Baht for 2 pints of beer and Pad Ka Pow Moo Kai Dow. Last time I was there I went to the same restaurant and it had free wifi, but this time I was told I had to walk 15 minutes to the information centre and register to use the internet!

Edited by gdnuttall

... architectual historians will tell you that great public places are a direct reflection of the cultures that built them ... Suvarnabhumi Airport is the doorway to Thailand for millions who, convinced by slick media campaigns, come to be 'amazed' (... and that, they are) ... so, what does Suvarnabhumi say about Thai culture?

the walkway for passengers are narrow due to many shops floating around :-(

Also the noisy steel stairway at the gate really upset me everytime someone carrying a lugguage. It makes sound like saw machine :-(

The free internet PC is so funny with huge mouse rolling ball and button !!!! Are Thai so giant ?

The lugguage belt is terrible. It is not only slow slow slow but also lack of information. many time I have to run up and down the hall to find my lugguage.

Terrible airport.

Sorry, I don't get it.

I've never had a long wait at the airport clearing immigration and customs in Suvaranabhumi. Rather the contrary - it's about the fastest I've ever cleared. Try the lines in New York. And in China they met us with drug-sniffing dogs.

And I've never had a hard time getting a metered taxi there, once you know where they are - and they've always been in the same place every time I've gone through the airport for the last three years.

As for the food, I've never seen an airport where food wasn't grossly overpriced compared to the local economy. A cup of coffee at the airport in Miami is $5.00.

If you think the touts are bad here, you should try the airport in Delhi or Mumbai. You haven't experienced what a real tout is like until you've been to India.

Edited by palomnik

When I got back from my latest business trip , I had to wait more than one hour at immigration , so many people there that was totally insane. The airport is nice YES .. is it efficient ? NO ... too long walk from plane to immigration .. think about the elder people or kids or even us when we just spent 10 hours in flight and are exhausted. Everything "good" are the front but the back is terrible. high prices in duty free ( what a joke) and still no Marlboro cigarette since the opening in 2007. Mafia taxi , Mafia parking ..illegal taxi who think all singles men go to Pattaya. I just got back from Seoul ..wow .... that is an international airport , KL , Singapore , Hong kong also .... Many things can be improve for sure if the management of AOT would stop sitting on their asses and see the reality of their airport.

Definately the worst airport in the world

What a lot of nonsense, Swampy is a great airport in comparison with other busy airports.. There are 7/11 shops where everything is very reasonable.. where else in the world can you find a 7/11 in an airport..? As for the walk to immigration, for a small fee you can be picked up in one of the small electric carts and taken through fast-track immigration. As for taxis, go upstairs to Departures same as in any airport and take a cab that has just dropped someone off.. easy.. Also the BTS is great now , fast and cheap to the city. If you have a lot of luggage, a taxi is needed.. Same as anywhere in the world, you cannot take many bags onto a train.. thats a personal choice..! Some people like to complain about anything.. Well done the Swampy management team... immigration are a law unto themselves but at least you can make your re-entry visa there now... And the Duty Free is the cheapest in Asia... at least for Jonnie Walker and Jack Daniels... Has anyone been to Charles DeGaulle... now that is a problem airport... try it..! and as for walking ...try Schipol Airport in Amsterdam, thats walking..!!!

Works well for me every time I have been through.

Sure there will be distance to walk, cant have every flight coming and going from close to the front door, but the moving walkways make it easy even for fat old falang.

If you want to talk about high prices try Wellington airport in NZ, a small bottle of water $5, around 100B.

Taxis no problem, last time we came in to TL on a late flight and arranged a taxi for a 3 hr trip, sure would not do it on the metre but the price he gave us was fair, have done the same trip on metre before and that was about the same.

There is no compulsion for them to do longer trips on the metre in fact if you look in most cabs you will see they have a list of charges for longer trips.

Damaged bags, did the damage happen here or at the airport of destination?

Definately the worst airport in the world

Not even close to the worst!!!!

the distances is the worst thing and should have been anticapated when they built it

The food prices arre crazy 3 x the nrom for simple rice dishes

So many check in for immigration arrivals/departures and never have i seen them more than half occupied

It's one of the better airports. Of course, minor problems will always happen. Somehow most people in this forum only want to critizise anything here in Thailand. Why do you come here?

Are you the kind of farang who cannot accept any critics on Thailand ? Did you become more Thai than Thais ? some are here to work , to spend retirement , to enjoy life .. Any critics are good to take and we learn by making mistakes. why you come here if you dont like to see critics ?

Good brief synopsis of the myriad of problems besetting the "Showcase of Asia" or whatever other BS titles it's been bestowed to this airport resembling a giant Costco store.

Would personally add that is often uncomfortably warm, particularly on the upper floors, to the list.

OBJECTION....Costco is clean, well organized, sparkling washrooms with paper towels and workable electric hand dryers, courteous and helpful employees, and has over 500 stores in several countries with millions of repeat customers...who choose to do so, will supply the handicapped with an electric cart, never argues on a return policy sells a delicious hotdog with a refillable drink for $1.50.

Now, be nice...they in no way should be compared to the....ahh...hub of flubs??

Did I mention I am a stockholder??

MNS

When I got back from my latest business trip , I had to wait more than one hour at immigration , so many people there that was totally insane. The airport is nice YES .. is it efficient ? NO ... too long walk from plane to immigration .. think about the elder people or kids or even us when we just spent 10 hours in flight and are exhausted. Everything "good" are the front but the back is terrible. high prices in duty free ( what a joke) and still no Marlboro cigarette since the opening in 2007. Mafia taxi , Mafia parking ..illegal taxi who think all singles men go to Pattaya. I just got back from Seoul ..wow .... that is an international airport , KL , Singapore , Hong kong also .... Many things can be improve for sure if the management of AOT would stop sitting on their asses and see the reality of their airport.

Incheon airport is quick and sparkling clean... very efficient.. but it has less than a quarter of Swampy traffic... be realistic, Hong Kong has the same immigration problems... KL, and Singapore have nothing like Swampy people traffic... those are quiet airports in comparison..