Suvarnabhumi Airport: A Bad Experience For Travellers

webfact

Having been through a fair few airports in my time, they vary greatly and not one is seemlessly perfect.

Sticking just to the big hitters, the finest in terms of passenger flow planning, shopping and eating would be Hong Kong and Singapore.

If you want to look at the "ought to know better" culprits, ie those from whom you'd expect a better effort then look no further than the Federal Republic of Vaguely Connected Airport Terminals which calls itself Heathrow or how about JFK for uninspired, hope-you-don't-get-delayed drabness because if you get stuck there it's like being in the waiting room of teenage accesories, donuts and burger hell. It's been mentioned before but a big tongue needs to be stuck out at CdG Paris for being the ugliest, most poorly designed major airport in the whole history of forever. In France no less!

Yes, so they're older than BKK and I'm not going to defend BKK's Suvarnaphum because they have messed up on so many levels and for so many reasons, tea-money springs to mind but it's not that big of a disaster. Walks can be long, immigration queues can be long, food can be pricey (hey, get some fish n chips at Harry Ramsdens at Heathrow, but bring a mortgage guarantee...).

Best airport on the planet? Zurich.

Edited by side

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I all the time i have used Suvarnabhumi only once have i had to wait more than 20 mins at immigration. Toilets have always been very clean for Thai standars, yeah there is a problem with Taxi scams but if you didn't wise up to that after the first or second time then why whinge?

And as for food costs.... have you not been to a food court anywhere else in the world? In manchester a bacon sandwich and a fresh orange must cost you at least 250 Baht!!!!!

Funny to listen to people whinge about Survanabhumi.... it is 100 x better than Don Muang!

Similar format to other airport complaint posts: first page of inconsequential whining from armchair or infrequent fliers. Then a page of realistic comparisons from those that do use commercial air travel for more than the yearly vacation.

It's an AIRPORT! Not a shopping mall or restaurant complex. Airplanes are buses with wings run by bus companies with airplanes. Airports are bus stations for buses with wings. Get the picture yet?

That is why Changi airport excel year after year. The transit area is laid out and designed like a shopping mall, instead of a bus station, for buses with wings...:rolleyes:

Another bad thing is King power dutyfree.

I travled out of Suvarnabhumi airport in june 2010, and i was going to buy prince cigarette (smoked by scandinavians), but there was no prince avalible. So i sent a eamil to customer support and asked. They told me that they had to renew their license to sale Prince, and that it would be back in sale a few weeks later.

Next time i leave Thialand was january 2011 and still not Prince at King power. The answer from customer support this time was that Prince had production problems and could not deliver.

I must say i hate the long, long walk from plane to pick up my bags - what genius thought of that one? and signage is terrible

Every large airport I've traveled in has expensive food, ill-mannered officials, long walks from gates to luggage and exits, and paid wifi. I agree with the long immigration lines needing improvement, but the parking lot mafia and crooked taxis seem to be the same thing.

My wife and I have traveled through this airport many times and never had the problems touted here except for the long immigration lines.

I'm considered a curmudgeon by many, but reading these complaints makes me feel like quite an accommodating fellow!

Having been through a fair few airports in my time, they vary greatly and not one is seemlessly perfect.

Sticking just to the big hitters, the finest in terms of passenger flow planning, shopping and eating would be Hong Kong and Singapore.

If you want to look at the "ought to know better" culprits, ie those from whom you'd expect a better effort then look no further than the Federal Republic of Vaguely Connected Airport Terminals which calls itself Heathrow or how about JFK for uninspired, hope-you-don't-get-delayed drabness because if you get stuck there it's like being in the waiting room of teenage accesories, donuts and burger hell. It's been mentioned before but a big tongue needs to be stuck out at CdG Paris for being the ugliest, most poorly designed major airport in the whole history of forever. In France no less!

Yes, so they're older than BKK and I'm not going to defend BKK's Suvarnaphum because they have messed up on so many levels and for so many reasons, tea-money springs to mind but it's not that big of a disaster. Walks can be long, immigration queues can be long, food can be pricey (hey, get some fish n chips at Harry Ramsdens at Heathrow, but bring a mortgage guarantee...).

Best airport on the planet? Zurich.

It ain't in Bangkok.

I must say i hate the long, long walk from plane to pick up my bags - what genius thought of that one? and signage is terrible

Yes, it felt like a kilometer from the plane to Immigration when I arrived last month, seriously.

Easily! Especially if you arrive on one of the "poorer" airlines who can only afford the far-away terminals/bus doors...

I third this motion; arrived on Lao airlines some time ago - must have been 2 kilometers from arrival gate to

immigration que.

I've been thru the new airport dozens of times, and noticed nothing in regards to what the OP wrote about. I just see short lines at immigration, decent selection of food and gifts (often sold at the exact same prices as say PanTip plaza) and metered cabbies that offer no hassles whatsoever. Perhaps it's my karma?

If you really wanna complain about airports, pick any American one - I could back u up there :)

?????

Why are so many folks dumping on American Airports (or Heathrow, but I haven't flown out of that one so I can't comment.)?

As one poster pointed out, JFK is a sorry place if you are delayed, but as far as getting in and out, it's got Swampy beat to rights. Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, LAX, San Fran, Denver, DFW, LGA, BWI, Dulles: all of them are better than Swampy for getting in and out. No exit immigration, easier walking. Denver is beautiful and has great food. Chicago has full-sized dinosaurs (OK, that is tongue in cheek) and good food. Dulles has lots of good food, the same with Houston.

WHat does Swampy have? Luggage carts at the taxi drop off? OK, that is good, but I want convenience in travel, and that is only one small thing.

What is the parking lot mafia, though? I haven't seen anything unusual in the parking lots at Swampy.

Edited by luckizuchinni

First thing that is absolutely wrong is the airport ain't in Bangkok. Why are you guys keep saying that it is in Bangkok?

1.Are you crazed? The baggage-handlers aren't proficient in simple English. They are no way to improve this cos they are in a low paid job with little skill. If you want more than this, please organized your own bags.

2.Most of the foods at the airport are expensive. Some countries can be more expensive cos' they are paying huge amount for the rent. If you feel so, ain't buy any foods then. Bring your own. Malay, Singapore, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide , Jakarta and Hong Kong are more or less the same.

3.Taxis in Thailand are notorious for overcharging. It ain't just in the airport. I agree to clean up this issue. The tip for getting a cheap taxi is to get 'em from the departure zone.

4. Mafia at the parking lots. It's true cos some top range military persons are involved. They are now in the court with Thai legal system but this is rather complicated as there are some connections with the politicians.

5. Officials at the airport - They are OK. If you present yourself to be good, they will reciprocate this. Long queue - They have to manage the staff for flexible hours on duty. Relaxed and let it be. If you see how they do it on the border between Cambodia and Thai, Poipet. You will say this is good enough though.

6. It's huge then you need to do a bit of exercise then. Good for your health.

Overall ain't too bad. If you don't like it , you will need a different destination then.

This is what this thread is all about...IMPROVING things, for the majority. We don,t want another destination thanks.

Yes, it has its faults, but Swampy is OK by me, especially since I found the basement food area :rolleyes:.

Immigration lines in are understandably slow, but I have experienced worse. Outgoing clearance should be a lot faster as they do not even need to talk to you.

The comparisons on here are often not valid as one needs to compare the traffic volume of each before a general comparison can be made.

In my opinion Swampy is neither the worst or the best, it just is what it is.

We all have our favourites; mine is Brisbane, but it has nowhere near the traffic of other places. :jap:

... architectual historians will tell you that great public places are a direct reflection of the cultures that built them ... Suvarnabhumi Airport is the doorway to Thailand for millions who, convinced by slick media campaigns, come to be 'amazed' (... and that, they are) ... so, what does Suvarnabhumi say about Thai culture?

And aaah please take note that Suvarnabhumi Airport was a design collaboration between Werner Sobek, Matthias Schuler and Helmut Jahn. They were engaged by the Thai Government of that time.

Why all these complaints? Don't you know that Swampy has the tallest control of any airport in the world? You really are a collection of ungrateful buggers.

We should be grateful for the poster who pointed out that Swampy isn't in Bangkok. Education is a wonderful thing and is ongoing throughout our lives, except if you are Thai of course. I've told friends who are insisting on visiting me some time in the future (against my advice) that they should tell their travel agent that they require return tickets to Samut Prakan. They will not be leaving the UK through one of the London airports but from some place called Gatport Airwick

Incidentally Basel airport isn't even in Switzerland! Maybe the planners couldn't read a map? At least Thailand built 'the best airport in the World' in the right country. :lol:

Whinging about airport food pricing, poor quality food, waiting in Immigration lines, worst airport in the world?

What a bunch of nitwits. It's not that different in other airports anywhere.

Travel a few times through India before you pout kiddies.

To be honest all the high food prices and stuff would be ok if they could get their processing speed high and ensure safety.

I mean, 55 baht for a bottle of water after you've paid much more for your ticket, not really a big deal.

(other airports do this as well, I've seen bottles of water selling for $2.50, which is more than 55 baht in JFK)

I think their priorities should be:

1. Safety and Maintenance (cracked runways etc)

2. Organization and Speed in processing passengers and incommoding/outgoing flights.

3. Transportation to and from the airport. (Get security to kick out taxi drivers that refuse to use their meters, and make that train more accessible.)

And for those who have been here are long or longer than I have... Remember the days of Don Muang as the international and domestic airport? Suvarnabhumi is still a big improvement.

Sure.... the big issues are not food and long walk way. To be fair, they are not much different from other airports apart from Chanqi, Singapore. They are well-designed. But to be equivalent to that level. The Thai need to work they way up. The cracked runways, Visa processing and the scam from Taxis.

well, all said and done, the last time I flew out was a flight that left at 3am. It was the middle of that week last year in May when we had curfews and such. Living in Klong Toey I was afraid about getting held up at checkpoints etc, so I hired an Airport limo for 1000 baht. It only took about 20 minutes to get there because the expressway was empty. I told the driver which airline and he dropped me off at the correct check in desk. Excellent service and worth it.

I got there right when the check in desk for my flight opened. There were only 5 people in front of me. When I got to the security, it was only about 10 people in front of me, and it took maybe 10 minutes. Had a nice stroll over to the gate. I got to my gate super early. This was pretty nice, as I'm super paranoid about missing flights.

For those that really hate long lines and being rushed... give yourself more time. Remember we're in Thailand. You can't force others to go faster, and when you do, they lose face and will treat you like shit.

and like I said before, the food and water complaints are only a priority once they've taken care of their efficiency problems.

And for the complaints about baggage handling... I've taken bottles of whiskey, wine, perfume, cans of maple syrup, etc. to and from Thailand. Maybe you packed it poorly. Wrap delicate stuff in a few t-shirts for padding and don't place it at the edge of the bag.

it's like everything, they have to learn alot and first of all stop with thinking that farangs are stupid, but what can you do againts if you not have any right in this country

and organisation is not the strongest point of thai people even coming on time is already a big problem for the most

simple answer

accept they way of living and thinking ore go away from thailand like already manny people did in pattaya

I have not read the whole post, but in case it has not been mentioned, lets not forget this little jewel of a scam.

Bangkok's showcase new international airport is no stranger to controversy.

Built between 2002 and 2006, under the governments of then-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the opening date was repeatedly delayed.

It has been dogged by allegations of corruption, as well as criticism of the design and poor quality of construction.

Then, at the end of last year, the airport was shut down for a week after being occupied by anti-government protesters.

Now new allegations have been made that a number of passengers are being detained every month in the duty free area on suspicion of shoplifting, and then held by the police until they pay large sums of money to buy their freedom.

That is what happened to Stephen Ingram and Xi Lin, two IT experts from Cambridge, as they were about to board their flight to London on the night of 25 April this year.

They had been browsing in the duty free shop at the airport, and were later approached by security guards, who twice asked to search their bags.

Mr Ingram and Ms Xi were told they had to pay £8,000

They were told a wallet had gone missing, and that Ms Lin had been seen on a security camera taking it out of the shop.

The company that owns the duty free shop, King Power, has since put the CCTV video on its website, which does appear to show her putting something in her bag. However the security guards found no wallet on either of them.

Despite that, they were both taken from the departure gate, back through immigration, and held in an airport police office. That is when their ordeal started to become frightening.

Interpreter

"We were questioned in separate rooms," Mr Ingram said. "We felt really intimidated. They went through our bags and demanded that we tell them where the wallet was."

The two were then put in what Mr Ingram describes as a "hot, humid, smelly cell with graffiti and blood on the walls".

Mr Ingram managed to phone a Foreign Office helpline he found in a travel guide, and was told someone in the Bangkok embassy would try to help them.

The next morning the two were given an interpreter, a Sri Lankan national called Tony, who works part-time for the police.

They were taken by Tony to meet the local police commander - but, says Mr Ingram, for three hours all they discussed was how much money they would have to pay to get out.

Mr Ingram and Ms Xi were taken to meet the local police commander

They were told the charge was very serious. If they did not pay, they would be transferred to the infamous Bangkok Hilton prison, and would have to wait two months for their case to be processed.

Mr Ingram says they wanted £8,000 ( about $13,000) - for that the police would try to get him back to the UK in time for his mother's funeral on 28 April.

But he could not arrange to get that much money transferred in time.

'Zig-zag' scheme

Tony then took Ms Lin to an ATM machine and told her to withdraw as much as she could from her own account - £600. He then withdrew the equivalent of £3,400 from his own account.

According to Mr Ingram this was then handed over to the police, and they were both forced to sign a number of papers.

Later they were allowed to move to a squalid hotel within the airport perimeter, but their passports were held and they were warned not to leave or try to contact a lawyer or their embassy.

"I will be watching you," Tony told them, adding that they would have to stay there until the £8,000 was transferred into Tony's account.

On the Monday they managed to sneak out and get a taxi to Bangkok, and met an official at the British Embassy.

She gave the name of a Thai lawyer, and, says Mr Ingram, told them they were being subjected to a classic Thai scam called the "zig-zag".

Their lawyer urged them to expose Tony - but also warned them that if they fought the case it could take months, and they risked a long prison sentence.

After five days the money was transferred to Tony's account, and they were allowed to leave.

Mr Ingram had missed his mother's funeral, but at least they were given a court document stating that there was insufficient evidence against them, and no charge.

"It was a harrowing, stressful experience," he said.

The couple say they now want to take legal action to recover their money.

'Typical' scam

The BBC has spoken to Tony and the regional police commander, Colonel Teeradej Phanuphan.

They both say Tony was merely helping the couple with translation, and raising bail to keep them out of prison.

Tony says about half the £8,000 was for bail, while the rest were "fees" for the bail, for his work, and for a lawyer he says he consulted on their behalf.

In theory, he says, they could try to get the bail portion refunded.

Colonel Teeradej says he will investigate any possible irregularities in their treatment. But he said any arrangement between the couple and Tony was a private affair, which did not involve the police.

Letters of complaint to the papers here in Thailand make it clear that passengers are regularly detained at the airport for alleged shoplifting, and then made to pay middlemen to win their freedom.

The Danish Embassy says one of its nationals was recently subjected to a very similar scam, and earlier this month an Irish scientist managed to flee Thailand with her husband and one year-old son after being arrested at the airport and accused of stealing an eyeliner worth around £17.

Tony told the BBC that so far this year he has "helped" about 150 foreigners in trouble with the police. He says sometimes he does it for no charge.

The British Embassy has also warned passengers at Bangkok Airport to take care not to move items around in the duty free shopping area before paying for them, as this could result in arrest and imprisonment.

Here are a selection of you

Another bad thing is King power dutyfree.

I travled out of Suvarnabhumi airport in june 2010, and i was going to buy prince cigarette (smoked by scandinavians), but there was no prince avalible. So i sent a eamil to customer support and asked. They told me that they had to renew their license to sale Prince, and that it would be back in sale a few weeks later.

Next time i leave Thialand was january 2011 and still not Prince at King power. The answer from customer support this time was that Prince had production problems and could not deliver.

My God! Are you okay after suffering all this trauma? There must be support groups out there for Prince smokers who went through similar catastrophes, maybe you can join one and get the emotional recovery you need after such an injustice was laid on you.

whistling.gif

Smells are one of the strongest triggers of memory - a whiff can stand you years back in time..........

Many years ago I used to work in the food industry and frequently visited large cold store warehouses. They have a very distinctive smell. It's old oils and fats etc, mixed with the detritus and bacteria of the foods stored there.

The only other place I've come across that smell is at the food outlets in arrivals at Suvarnabhumi.

Postsoftgeorge, on 2011-03-02 08:40:46, said:

Definately the worst airport in the world

I travel to manila every month, now that old airport REALLY is worse than good old swampy, paint peeling off, business lounge not much larger than a telephone kiosk, even more scam taxi drivers, no decent food outlets at all.

BTW, just where does one pay to get the buggy ride to immigration; thought these were only for old and infirm, which I am not

The price of food is my main complaint, 350 baht for fast food meals which cost 120 outside. Also find it a chore battling through the myriad touts and scammers and distinguishing the legit services from those.

Apart from that it's fine, works like any other airport.

Whingers will whinge.

Actually, one aspect of the old Don Meuang was definitely *unlike* most other airports: the great food court near the walkway between the domestic and international terminals (on the int'l side), prices (and food) just like any unpretentious little food court in any older Thai mall...plus, you could cross over the highway and be in an actual Bangkok neighborhood, and get food, a massage, etc., and almost-local prices, sigh. Though of course, airports in the middle of cities are a fast-disappearing thing, with a few exceptions left like Midway in Chicago and LaGuardia in NYC in the States...

There is a Thai food court on the ground floor, cheap food. I like the airport, and I use it about 4 or 6 times a year.

Similar format to other airport complaint posts: first page of inconsequential whining from armchair or infrequent fliers. Then a page of realistic comparisons from those that do use commercial air travel for more than the yearly vacation.

It's an AIRPORT! Not a shopping mall or restaurant complex. Airplanes are buses with wings run by bus companies with airplanes. Airports are bus stations for buses with wings. Get the picture yet?

That is why Changi airport excel year after year. The transit area is laid out and designed like a shopping mall, instead of a bus station, for buses with wings...:rolleyes:

I would refer you to the fact that so many Changi lovers fail to mention, Changi handles MUCH LESS passenger volume than any of Bangkok's airports have ever done. Yes, the friendly mall-like atmosphere serves the TRANSIT passenger very well. Singapore has much less incoming tourist visitors but does a handy trade with those just passing through.

What other relevant points of comparison have you missed?

come off it, Heathrow is ten times worse and so are most airport in the USA, where the security checks are ridiculous. Swampy with all its faults is quiet a nice place and if the authorities would listen, they could sort out them problems in no time. I always catch a taxi on the departure level and never have any problems getting a meter ride into town.

As a modern purpose built airport competing in the Asian region it fails the design efficiency test. I come & go through it at least 16 times a year since it was opened & compared to its main competitors like HKG & SIN it is second rate. My main complaints at present are; the inordinate long walks from arrival gates to immigration, long queues at immig arrivals (departure has improved since they started using one queue), the high temperature inside during the day caused by the large glass areas & insufficient air-con & the usual taxi rip-offs (not uncommon at airports around the world).

I've been through alot worse Heathrow for example

True but how old is Heathrow ? Paris CDG is also a nightmare but those airports are old ...

Flying from LHR T4 or T5 is a breeze unfortunately every airline (BA excluded) that serves Thailand uses T3 although some will be moving to Terminal 4 soon. T1-3 that are the 1950-60's monstrosities that make up Heathrow are an embarrassment to what is by far the worlds busiest Airport. Having said that they are still far better than swampy. I can't understand why they didn't look at the likes of Changi in Singapore and copy that, an Airport 25 years its senior but still looks, feels and operates as if it was just built yesterday with all the latest mod cons.